Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Another example of why the cent should be eliminated from US currency.

It's almost worthless.
View Quote

That's fine, there's always nickels, dimes, and quarters.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Willing to bet the officer cut him a break and he was going faster. I always knocked my tickets down to 9 over so it wouldn't hurt the driving record too bad. (Of course, can't do that anymore. No breaks given or allowed due to body cams).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So he sped. And by paying the ticket and not contesting it he is admitting guilt

What exactly is he mad about?
Only going 9 mph over the speed limit, pretty high fine.  

Willing to bet the officer cut him a break and he was going faster. I always knocked my tickets down to 9 over so it wouldn't hurt the driving record too bad. (Of course, can't do that anymore. No breaks given or allowed due to body cams).

So, you're willing to bet the cop did something even you can't do?

Seems like a strange estimation of odds.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The guys on here complaining about traffic laws are the same babies on 911 crying that someone cut them off and where are the Police to give him a ticket. Or, "my neighbor is always speeding down the street I want to make a formal complaint."

Police departments get A LOT of traffic complaints called in. The people get the Policing they ask for.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, because $200+ for 9mph over in a 30 mph zone seems reasonable

Cheers!
-JC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could always slow down if getting a ticket wads his panties up that much.

Cheers!
-JC

Sure
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Outside of the guy that got issued a citation, was there a victim?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

No kidding...so many folks volunteering to pay the dummy tax.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC

It was entirely optional.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The winning factor would have been to put just 49¢ in each roll
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]
So what's the problem.....he paid with legal tender.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm fine with it. Money is money.

Wanna waste my time? I'll fucking waste yours... I'll take the time and enjoy it too.

Fuck em.
View Quote

I'm with this guy. Fuck that clerk, if she doesn't like dealing with people who have been fucked by road pirates she can go get another job.

If traffic enforcement's about public safety, why is it whenever any local and/or state.gov runs short of money the fines and fees go up?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Typical passive-aggressive type.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I support him 100%. Speeding tickets are generally revenue generation and nothing more.

I got ticketed once, for doing 80 in a 70. This was on I-10 going towards the AZ border, in between Palm Springs and Blythe.

This is one of the deadest, loneliest stretches of arrow-straight interstate in the Southwest. Nothing around but dirt and shrubs.

And then there's friendly Mr. Revenue Collector, sitting concealed behind some shrubs. The whole interaction was very polite, yes sir here's my paperwork, yes sir just goin' out to Phoenix, etc. I was absolutely fucking floored when he came back with a ticket and not a warning. Cost me about $300 because I had injured society so badly by doing 80 in a 70 in the middle of the desert.

Wish I'd have had the stones to pull something like this.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well going to the bank and getting a couple hundred bucks in pennies just to dump it on some clerk who didn't write the law or bust him's desk seems like a lot of trouble for nothing.  Just pay the fine and act like a big boy for a change.
View Quote

This.

Dick move in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It seems he got the ticket in his own neighborhood.

So I'm going to assume it was one of those deals to get people to slow down in the neighborhoods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sanders tried to fight the ticket in court, taking the case to trial where he eventually lost.

The court's clerks gathered all the pennies and took them to Coinstar locations around town. They said it took about three hours to count them.

Sanders is now owed money by the city because he overpaid by $7.81.

"I’m just going to go ahead and let them keep that,” he said.

City staff told NBC5 it's not against the rules to pay using pennies, but they wouldn't encourage it. In fact, they say this is the second time in memory someone has paid with pennies.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Frisco-Man-Pays-Speeding-Ticket-With-Buckets-of-Pennies-381182831.html
If I took tickets that seriously I'd be in a grave

So I'm going to assume it was one of those deals to get people to slow down in the neighborhoods.

And if the norm holds, he was probably the one who called and complaind about people driving fast and wanting extra enforcement.....
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#15]
You get a speeding ticket where I live and they tack on court costs, and then something about continuing education for judges. So a simple ticket for speeding can add up to some serious money.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You get a speeding ticket where I live and they tack on court costs, and then something about continuing education for judges. So a simple ticket for speeding can add up to some serious money.
View Quote

Huh, that's funny. In my career field I pay for my own continuing education.

Revenue. Generation.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good for him. Not that I am saying speeding is ok, but a penny is U.S. currency.
View Quote

In all honesty I suspect they accepted the payment simply because it meant that he paid the fine.  This way he gets to be sassy and think he "stuck it to the man" while they still get their money.  There's no law that specifies they have to accept pennies - although many people do think that's what "legal tender" (or US currency) means.  

The thing is though, it doesn't mean that at all; it only means the money is backed by the government... and NOT that they're obligated to accept that form of payment.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Revenue. Generation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Revenue. Generation.

Yep. It is just bullshit ways of making money.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC

So don't speed? You guys act like it's a surprise when you get a ticket for speeding.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got no problem with him paying with pennies. However, he shouldn't have just dumped them. Leave them in the buckets and ask for a receipt.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All that time invested into making this happen to piss off the people that had nothing to do with it.

He sure showed that cop!
View Quote

I wonder if his obvious people skills had anything to do with him getting a ticket in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Just pay the ticket like a normal person and move the fuck on
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't agree with speed laws, but a punishment, for whatever offense, needs to be so harsh that the offender never even breathe the thought of ever doing it again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Well, the clerk is not responsible for the ones he spilled on the floor. But, I would tell him if he wants it to go toward his bill then he has to wait until it is all counted and get a receipt. I count really slow and would probably have to start over after I lost count a few hundred times.
View Quote
No kidding.

If he just walked away, the clerk isn't going to pick all those pennies up, count them all, and then apply them to the correct violation.

When I have paid any fines in the past, I always make sure I get it stamped "paid in full".
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I went to pay a speeding ticket for the girlfriend and they wouldn't take cash.  Only a money order. The only place in the area you could get a money order was the snack bar in the same building.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sanders tried to fight the ticket in court, taking the case to trial where he eventually lost.

The court's clerks gathered all the pennies and took them to Coinstar locations around town. They said it took about three hours to count them.

City staff told NBC5 it's not against the rules to pay using pennies, but they wouldn't encourage it. In fact, they say this is the second time in memory someone has paid with pennies.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Frisco-Man-Pays-Speeding-Ticket-With-Buckets-of-Pennies-381182831.html

Hell I got a ticket in my own neighborhood for three over, at 1am.  Fucking bullshit ticket, considering a slight change in tire size can cause that. Waste of my time to have to go to court just for them to drop it.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The winning factor would have been to put just 49¢ in each roll
View Quote
Yeah, that's the ticket.

So when they take it to coin star and count it, it will be short and your ticket is still outstanding.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.

Dick move in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well going to the bank and getting a couple hundred bucks in pennies just to dump it on some clerk who didn't write the law or bust him's desk seems like a lot of trouble for nothing.  Just pay the fine and act like a big boy for a change.

This.

Dick move in my opinion.

They probably expected it.  He had a jury trial for his ticket and was found guilty.  

This little tidbit lead me to do a youtube search:
"Sanders, a full-time IT professional and a first and second amendment activist, gathered thousands of pennies to honor his debt."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3615348/Brett-Sanders-Texas-pays-speeding-ticket-pennies.html#ixzz4AAOW9NNF

Some videos and his descriptions from his channel.  

"Angry Neighbor Brings Fists to a Gunfight"  Description:  "After doing some stump maintenance with an AK47 an angry neighbor shows up."

"Smoking Weed in front of Cops - Global Marijuana March 2016"  Description: "The cannabis movement is alive and well in Texas. Hundreds of cannabis activists marched the streets of Ft. Worth in an effort to educate their fellow Texans."

"Activist tells Court that Taxation is Theft - Thug Life"  Description:  "Joel Gardner of the Voluntary East Texas Show goes full ThugLife in front of the Smith County Commissioners court."

"Open Carry Activist Pays Ordinance Violation with 12,000 Pennies"  Description:  "Andre Esparza, formerly of Denison, Texas protested an unconstitutional gun control ordinance by paying his fine with 12,000 pennies on Friday. Andre and fellow protesters staged an open carry demonstration outside of Denison City hall while the clerks counted his pennies."

"I Issued the Mayor a Citizen Citation After Cops did Nothing."  Description:  "Mayor Maso jokes about never getting a ticket as Mayor, which is a microcosm of the inherent problem with government. Laws never seem to apply to the political class or their cronies. So, I have sent the Mayor a "citizen citation" and charitable fine for the exact amount I was fined for allegedly breaking the same law. Do you think he will pay it?"

"A Sunday Morning Cop Block -Frisco Tx"  Description:  "I spotted a road pirate flip a quick u-turn to pursue his potential victim so I decided to follow. I would like to think my presence at the scene saved these people from a ransom note from this armed gang member."

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Good thing he didn't try to pay it with Origami folded one dollar bills.

He'd probably still be in jail.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So he sped. And by paying the ticket and not contesting it he is admitting guilt

Proportionality?

10% error on the speed limit would give him 33mph - I can see cops letting that slide.

39 mph is 25% over the speed limit.  Proportionally the discrepancy is higher and it becomes harder to let it slide.

I guess road conditions and risk would also comes into play?   Built up area?  Residential streets?   Outside a school?  I dunno.

Sounds like someone chose to break the law and when caught decided to have a hissy fit over it and went to a lot of trouble to make it known in a futile way.

Rather pointless.

Either contest it in court or man up and take your medicine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So don't speed? You guys act like it's a surprise when you get a ticket for speeding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC

If we didn't speed then what would cops like you do with their life?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC

Get paid just the same.....
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC

Take a look at CA tickets.....  The base fines are semi reasonable it's all the state legislature mandated fees that turn a red ligh ticket into $490.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC

I don't know, go take my BMX off some sweet jumps, be self-conscious about my body and spend too much money on protein drinks, ponder why I'm always alone and create profiles on dating websites?

Or, I could go walk my dog with my wife and kids, take my boat out on the lake, take my hot wife on vacation, tell stories about my time in Afghanistan, be proud of my 15 years of public service, have a glass of whiskey while smoking a cigar satisfied of the awesome life I've lived.

I'll have to think about this for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
This
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Cost of doing business, of course I say that as someone who hasn't got one in 8 years. I have -6 points on my license, that helps as well.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't know, go take my BMX off some sweet jumps, be self-conscious about my body and spend too much money on protein drinks, ponder why I'm always alone and create profiles on dating websites?

Or, I could go walk my dog with my wife and kids, take my boat out on the lake, take my hot wife on vacation, tell stories about my time in Afghanistan, be proud of my 15 years of public service, have a glass of whiskey while smoking a cigar satisfied of the awesome life I've lived.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC

sweet signature btw. You seem to have a infatuation with me. Are you that butthurt with my some of my posts?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hell I got a ticket in my own neighborhood for three over, at 1am.  Fucking bullshit ticket, considering a slight change in tire size can cause that. Waste of my time to have to go to court just for them to drop it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You talked yourself into that ticket, yes?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah; just imagine if he spent the time and energy to not drive like an asshole and directed it towards
lifting his foot off of the accelerator.  Whole thing would've been avoided.

Quoted:
Only an asshole does this to some innocent clerk(s).

If he was going 39 in a school zone, then fuck'im.

This is about how most people think.  Worry not.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah; just imagine if he spent the time and energy to not drive like an asshole and directed it towards
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol @ 39 in a 30 considered driving like an asshole. Im betting the cop that pulled him over drove way faster than that to catch up to him.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

sweet signature btw. You seem to have a infatuation with me. Are you that butthurt with my some of my posts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:So don't speed? You guys act like it's a surprise when you get a ticket for speeding.

Just walk it off bro.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#43]

I got a dollar parking ticket in some small town once..  I spent a half hour looking for 100 pennies in my car. I filled the envelope with pennies and when I left the lot I couldn't get the damn envelope into the violation box because the slot was very skinny, I'm sure  for this very reason.

I was pissed about that for a week.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC

Excellent response. I LOL'd
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is and I bet (based on paying with pennies) that he talked himself into that ticket.  I know a few people who seem to get a ticket anytime there's an interaction with a cop and they all share certain personality traits.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#46]
All the apologists here, gubmint cum guzzling sluts, praising "our finest" for being debased into nothing more than glorified tax collectors,  stoking the coffers of the ruling class who wouldn't let them into their own houses, so they have enough 'obama cash' to buy next year's votes from the same Free Shit Army that is attacking and killing them in a wholesale fashion like they were some sort of occupying force.

I am ashamed for you all.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It is and I bet (based on paying with pennies) that he talked himself into that ticket.  I know a few people who seem to get a ticket anytime there's an interaction with a cop and they all share certain personality traits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at his youtube channel.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
All the apologists here, guzzling gubmint cumulative and praising "our finest" for being debased into nothing more than glorified tax collectors,  stoking the coffers of the ruling class who wouldn't let them into their own houses, so they have enough 'obama cash' to buy next year's votes from the same Free Shit Army that is attacking them like some sort of occupying force.

I am ashamed for you all.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

So you subscribe to his channel.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw it after I commented.  

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

If my life had that much drama I could be a soap opera.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I don't know, go take my BMX off some sweet jumps, be self-conscious about my body and spend too much money on protein drinks, ponder why I'm always alone and create profiles on dating websites?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top