Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. They have the strongest weight lifters.

Real big difference.
View Quote

powerlifters, not weightlifters. Numbers still appear to be bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Methodology

All data is sourced from Open Powerlifting
   Data is from 2016-2020, accessed January 6, 2021
   Lifters must meet the following criteria to be eligible for their state
       Drug tested = true
       Equipment = raw
       Age = 18 or older
       Event = SBD (full power)
   Each lifter’s best full power meet performance is ranked within the state they represented at the time of the competition. This way, the same lifter cannot count more than once toward a given state’s average.
       However, it is possible for the same lifter to appear twice on the list, but only if they moved between 2016 and 2020 and re-registered with their federation under a different state.
   The top 10 totals by wilks were used to calculate each state’s averages. Including Washington DC and Guam, this resulted in a total of 513 lifting performances (Guam only had 3 performances in the time period that met the above criteria).
       This was done to compare each state’s best lifters against each other. Including all lifters in this type of calculation would “water down” the averages of states where powerlifting is more popular and there are more low-level lifters.

https://liftvault.com/strongest-states/#Methodology
View Quote

Ahhh that makes sense. Average of their TOP TEN LIFTERS. That I will believe.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The article says Texan has the strongest powerlifters.

Doesn’t say anything about average folks.

Besides, we’ve all been to Austin.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ha...  When I was in my 20's I fought full contact karate (kickboxing) and I was 6'2" 160 pounds.  I worked high rise construction and from my observation weight lifters were the weakest.  They were muscle bound and would tire out in minutes.

It doesn't matter how much you can lift if a skinny dude can beat your ass down with ease...
View Quote

There’s weight classes in fighting for a reason, it’s not to keep the little dudes from kicking the big guys asses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess retard strength is a thing.

View Quote
As a Texan, this is the funniest thing you will read this month in GD.  I love Texas but this is funny. @jeepsnguns81

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok.  That’s some funny shit!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
No wonder Texas has always called me to make it even greater. Here I come baby...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
No ate here,but 438lb average bench press. Really average?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nobody reads the fucking article apparently. Not average joe gym guy.
View Quote

I don't need to read the article to know that's bullshit all the way around.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The average gym goer can squat 550 lbs in nebraska
View Quote

They even have gyms out there?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Average of their top ten competitive power lifters yes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Was at the High School Powerlifting Nationals some years back.

Seem to recall TX and La had a LOT of kids fail their drug tests.

And WI had the strongest females!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#14]
At a time in our history when mental strength is needed more....
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I never say: "Oh, snap!". Today is the first time. Brutal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Strong Backs

Weak Minds

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The amount of TX hate in this thread will be absolutely LEGENDARY!!!

View Quote

Lol yup
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ND came in last cuz its all good old boys working on the farm.

They're not tracking their workouts and numbers.
They have better  shit to do.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ha...  When I was in my 20's I fought full contact karate (kickboxing) and I was 6'2" 160 pounds.  I worked high rise construction and from my observation weight lifters were the weakest.  They were muscle bound and would tire out in minutes.

It doesn't matter how much you can lift if a skinny dude can beat your ass down with ease...
View Quote

This was about strength not stamina or street fighting.

everyone knows Florida residents are most likely to win a street fight.  We've seen the stories, eat my damn face...Oh hell no!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Its true, you can go to any Texas Walmart and see for yourself.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I believe it. Now lets test their true strength. Do they have the strength to secede?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Just wait until California fills TX up with skinny Jean commies and turn it blue. You’ll slide back a lot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

YNFTFP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

WTFBBQ does that mean?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Weird, I thought it said physically strongest, not best fighters.. RIF I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some wire looking dude who is farm or construction "strong" always has to jump into these discussions on the internet.

Never saw any of those dudes on the football field though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Duh
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As a Texan, this is the funniest thing you will read this month in GD.  I love Texas but this is funny. @jeepsnguns81

View Quote

Thanks for having a sense of humor.  I actually lived in Texas for awhile and met Mark Henry, who probably helped get Texas to #1 on that list.  I got to help spot him one time in the weight room at UT.  It was me and two other guys spotting him on squats.  Also met Lee Priest at a World Gym in Austin, that guy is as wide as he is tall.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Its true, you can go to any Texas Walmart and see for yourself.

View Quote

At least our WM's have less Biden voters than AZ.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
ND came in last cuz its all good old boys working on the farm.

They're not tracking their workouts and numbers.
They have better  shit to do.
View Quote

Dude, not going to lie, but most farmers here seem to have a large amount of estrogen, some extremely weak individuals.
A lot of people large in stature, but have never worked out a day in their lives unless it's just work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
average gym goer squatting 687lbs, I would like to see that
View Quote
Yeah, me too. I know very few people personally that can squat that much weight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then that's a meaningless stat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Not sure what the point of the article is...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Agreed. Not sure what the point of the article is...
View Quote

To get clicks and the editor is an Arfcommer looking for lunchtime lulz
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

They may not be including toddlers.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I could also carry sheets of 4x8 plywood and swing sledgehammers longer without stopping.  I could work longer and harder than the muscle guys...

Quoted:

In a sparring match with rules and clocks.

Don't assume great strength can't be dangerous in a real fight.
View Quote

Sure, for a minute or two when the big guy runs out of gas and his arms feel like lead.  When I was fighting, Steve Shepard, the PKA middle-weight champion, beat Oak Tree Edwards, who was a heavyweight.  Shepard had speed, mobility and endurance.  Like Ali against Foreman he outlasted Edwards.

There are two ways of training: for power or for endurance; low repetitions of heavy weights vs high repetitions of low weights.  One way builds bulk while the other builds lean muscle mass.  Lifting heavy weights is a very specialized form of strength with little practical use in day to day situations while high endurance strength is far more practical and healthier than carrying around a lot of useless mass.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
https://cbsaustin.com/resources/media/a48d3295-d7d1-4303-b2f2-ba4ba61869bc-large16x9_GettyImages181370316.jpg?1611069582282

Texas' results:

Average squat: 687 lbs
Average bench press: 438 lbs
Average deadlift: 742 lbs.
Virginia came in second, followed by New York, California and North Carolina.

North Dakota came in last.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/texans-are-the-physically-strongest-people-in-america-research-shows
View Quote

Well, duh. Hell, I just turned 52 and I bet I can kick most 30 and 40-somethings from other states with ease! If they're from new york, I'd go as low as most 20-somethings.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I could also carry sheets of 4x8 plywood and swing sledgehammers longer without stopping.  I could work longer and harder than the muscle guys...

Sure, for a minute or two when the big guy runs out of gas and his arms feel like lead.  When I was fighting, Steve Shepard, the PKA middle-weight champion, beat Oak Tree Edwards, who was a heavyweight.  Shepard had speed, mobility and endurance.  Like Ali against Foreman he outlasted Edwards.

There are two ways of training: for power or for endurance; low repetitions of heavy weights vs high repetitions of low weights.  One way builds bulk while the other builds lean muscle mass.  Lifting heavy weights is a very specialized form of strength with little practical use in day to day situations while high endurance strength is far more practical and healthier than carrying around a lot of useless mass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't decide if you're trolling or just clueless.

If trolling: well done.

If you're serious, then you need to learn more and stop posting so much.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Boah, it don't take me minutes to wear out a string-bean fighter! Just grab em by the throat and start slamming on nearest hard surface, my fists would work if need be.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#39]
God I love this place.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Keep telling yourself that.
View Quote

Lol. Ever paid attention to mma champs? It ain't the brawly that win.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There’s weight classes in fighting for a reason, it’s not to keep the little dudes from kicking the big guys asses.
View Quote

Yes; but fighters do not train to be muscle bound weight lifters.  You could have two 200 pound guys.  One is a power lifter and the other is a boxer or MMA fighter.  The fighter will be much leaner and have far better endurance.  A power lifter's mass will be a big disadvantage in most physical situations.  Lifting heavy weights is not a comprehension measure of strength.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Texas residents, or actual native Texans? Most people it seems are no longer native to the state, but migrants from elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes; but fighters do not train to be muscle bound weight lifters.  You could have two 200 pound guys.  One is a power lifter and the other is a boxer or MMA fighter.  The fighter will be much leaner and have far better endurance.  A power lifter's mass will be a big disadvantage in most physical situations.  Lifting heavy weights is not a comprehension measure of strength.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two 200 pound people have the same mass (did you fail 3rd grade science?)

Their leanness will depend on their training regimen and diet. There are extremely lean weightlifters, and chubby fighters. There are also extremely fast and lithe weightlifters.

You think these guys are carrying around excess mass and are not lean?

You simply have no idea what you're talking about. There's way too many variables to make the sweeping generalizations you're making.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lmao!!!

I've only seen a couple texas come here to northern Maine.

The cold alone broke these "strong men".

Went back to thier sunshine and burritos.
View Quote

This just proves Texans are smarter too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Strongest bastards I’ve seen never saw a gym. They worked the oil fields, hay fields, or home builders. Fuckers probably count bench press 250lbs. But they’d toss around hundreds of pounds of gear and material like it was nothing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Strongest bastards I’ve seen never saw a gym. They worked the oil fields, hay fields, or home builders. Fuckers probably count bench press 250lbs. But they’d toss around hundreds of pounds of gear and material like it was nothing.
View Quote

fucken nice
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Two 200 pound people have the same mass (did you fail 3rd grade science?)

Their leanness will depend on their training regimen and diet. There are extremely lean weightlifters, and chubby fighters. There are also extremely fast and lithe weightlifters.

You think these guys are carrying around excess mass and are not lean?

https://external-preview.redd.it/a1GF3Ub5kvCPsTn03cSfrbsgZWf_hdcxvrmofofkdN4.jpg?auto=webp&s=6adf0d71b0e6d3d61e0dc24a976987b8d1066326

You simply have no idea what you're talking about. There's way too many variables to make the sweeping generalizations you're making.
View Quote

They are midgets with tiny little legs
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for letting everyone know you have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#49]
So the most densely populated states beat the least populated states?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Lmao gymbros

Apparently only 3 things make you strong. WhT a joke
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top