Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10 mph over, as in 10 mph over the speed limit generally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10mph huh... sure that's not an exaggeration? Humans can easily run 10mph....
So, breaking the speed limit in car A is okay but not B? That invalidates the argument about being able to play with the 86 in the corners but not get a ticket. Plenty of cops in plenty of small towns won't care that its not a bright yellow Corvette, you're 10 over, he's bored and the city/county needs that $.

At the speed limit the 86 is going to be a bore in every aspect. At least the vett can go from 0-speed limit with some decent acceleration.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sounds awful. I'd rather know that I have another 200 horses on tap as I push the pedal.

More torque then 2 BRZs.
View Quote
What good is it if all you can do is putt around with it on public roads?  You’re surely not a lawbreaker are you?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So, breaking the speed limit in car A is okay but not B? That invalidates the argument about being able to play with the 86 in the corners but not get a ticket. Plenty of cops in plenty of small towns won't care that its not a bright yellow Corvette, you're 10 over, he's bored and the city/county needs that $.

At the speed limit the 86 is going to be a bore in every aspect. At least the vett can go from 0-speed limit with some decent acceleration.
View Quote
Well don’t buy the motherfucker then.  But you’re not going to convince me I’m not having the time of the life with mine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What good is it if all you can do is putt around with it on public roads?  You’re surely not a lawbreaker are you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds awful. I'd rather know that I have another 200 horses on tap as I push the pedal.

More torque then 2 BRZs.
Ding ding.

If you're okay with speeding then there's no argument against a Corvette that wins IMO. It will hang in the corners and then obliterate you soon as your not in one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
No officer. Strictly speed limit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well don’t buy the motherfucker then.  But you’re not going to convince me I’m not having the time of the life with mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fine dude, lots of slow cars can be fun, especially if you haven't tasted "HOLY %#^#%!!!" speeds in the same locations.

There was a time I thought my high 12sec car was fast...then i climbed into a 800hp AWD GSX and then it seemed pointless to go full throttle...
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ding ding.

If you're okay with speeding then there's no argument against a Corvette that wins IMO. It will hang in the corners and then obliterate you soon as your not in one.
View Quote
10 over isn’t really speeding.  Or at least nothing that will land you in jail and get your car impounded.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's fine dude, lots of slow cars can be fun, especially if you haven't tasted "HOLY %#^#%!!!" speeds in the same locations.
View Quote
Lol.  I experience holy fuck speeds on something faster and more exciting than driving a car.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
10 over isn’t really speeding.  Or at least nothing that will land you in jail and get your car impounded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding ding.

Except it is speeding, and eventually will get you a ticket, which will be entirely your fault.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lol.  I experience holy fuck speeds on something faster and more exciting than driving a car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deathcycles?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Except it is speeding, and eventually will get you a ticket, which will be entirely your fault.
View Quote
Shouldn’t we just be talking Corollas then?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Deathcycles?
View Quote
Living life cycles
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the point is anything in the category of "fun" a 86 can do, a Miata can do better. Face the fact the 86 is a very niche car, the Miata is better at being more fun.

Enter practically, why the hell is that here when shopping for a "fun" car? 1 car owner most likely? Otherwise that's got no business here which means compromises.

Imo, buy a old clap trap truck for truck stuff, buy a eco box for dd and buy a sport car for fun....at which point unless you get the Miata. And I do...I want one. The next logical step to me is the Mustang GT w/track pack or vette in the FR configuration.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think the point is anything in the category of "fun" a 86 can do, a Miata can do better. Face the fact the 86 is a very niche car, the Miata is better at being more fun.

Enter practically, why the hell is that here when shopping for a "fun" car? 1 car owner most likely? Otherwise that's got no business here which means compromises.

Imo, buy a old clap trap truck for truck stuff, buy a eco box for dd and buy a sport car for fun. *shrug*
View Quote
I prefer the appearance of the 86 over the Miata.  And it’s a different kind of vehicle with the Boxer engine.

My philosophy is 4x4 pick-up, sports car, motorcycles (sportbike and a cruiser) and a boat.  Then you got your bases covered.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Bought a 2013 Or bought it in 2013 and it was a 2014 and sold it end of 2015. Very low power, easy to kick the backend out, but seemed like something was breaking constantly so I sold it for a A3 etron. Pluses was it was getting good aftermarket support and the community was good at ft86 forum . I like the car but it desperately needed more power and reliability. Otherwise I would still have it. That said the A3 etron is good on mileage but isn’t a great car either, I still find myself driving a Tacoma even though it gets shot mileage but is more comfortable on long drives
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I prefer the appearance of the 86 over the Miata.  And it’s a different kind of vehicle with the Boxer engine.

My philosophy is 4x4 pick-up, sports car, motorcycles (sportbike and a cruiser) and a boat.  Then you got your bases covered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imo, buy a old clap trap truck for truck stuff, buy a eco box for dd and buy a sport car for fun. *shrug*

And suddenly it makes more sense.

Where i choose a eco box for a practical daily you put the 86 which is more practical than the miata and your bike replaces the "sports car" category that needs zero practicality.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
4Runner/BRZ/KTM 690 Enduro R is a good combo!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
B.S. and like posted earlier pushing it in the corners still means breaking the speed limit by a lot but with the added bonus of less room for error correction. Tree's don't give much, and the nearly instant stop has killed plenty.

The only way you're legally pushing a miata or 86 in the corners to their limits or anywhere near is on a track. On an auto X course a prepped miata and or 86 may keep up or beat a similarly skilled driver of a vett but on a actual track or street the vett will obliterate either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hitting redline in the Vette means violating every speed limit in the state.

Of course I have never done that.
That’s the beauty of the 200 HP BRZ/86.  You can hit redline and rip through the gears on the city streets.  Really use the engine like it was designed.
B.S. and like posted earlier pushing it in the corners still means breaking the speed limit by a lot but with the added bonus of less room for error correction. Tree's don't give much, and the nearly instant stop has killed plenty.

The only way you're legally pushing a miata or 86 in the corners to their limits or anywhere near is on a track. On an auto X course a prepped miata and or 86 may keep up or beat a similarly skilled driver of a vett but on a actual track or street the vett will obliterate either.
Less room for correction?

One of the things cars like the 86 and the Miata are known for is being very predictable and very forgiving. In a 86/Miata, you can make significant throttle and steering adjustments mid turn to play with the way the car responds, and you can do that without being in much danger of completely upsetting the stability of the car or breaking the rears loose with too much power (lol). There are reasons why muscle cars are known for power sliding out of control off the road/into pedestrians and Porsches are known for deadly snap oversteer while Miatas have no such reputation. Are both of those things caused by driver error? Absolutely. Is it possible to screw up and crash a Miata? Absolutely. But the margin for error is significantly different.

Also, if things do go start to go wrong, or if a sudden hazard appears in the road, Newton's laws are going to give the car that weighs half a ton less a better shot at avoiding an accident.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10mph huh... sure that's not an exaggeration? Humans can easily run 10mph....

It's not that simple.

It's not just about speed. It's about the perception of speed and the feedback/sensations a vehicle gives at a particular speed. What does an 86 feel like at say... 55 MPH, and what does a Corvette feel like at 55 MPH?

I don't have enough experience with those specific cars to answer that question definitively, but I know 55 MPH feels pretty sedate in most vehicles (by design) while 55 MPH feels like there's some serious movement happening when I'm behind the wheel of a Miata. Part of that is the simple fact that the Miata is at higher RPMs than most vehicles at most speeds, and part of that is because things like all of the little imperfections in the pavement have a greater perceived effect on lighter cars. Curves and corners can magnify this.

Ever been go-karting? You can feel like you're riding a damn rocket driving at 20-something MPH in a building, and then you're numb and under-stimulated driving home at 70 MPH in a standard vehicle.

How fast do you have to go in a car with a higher performance threshold like a Corvette or a BMW M car to get the same sensations?

How many miles of public roads are there in America where one can drive 55 MPH legally or with only minor infractions? 65 MPH? 75 MPH?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That’s the beauty of the 200 HP BRZ/86.  You can hit redline and rip through the gears on the city streets.  Really use the engine like it was designed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This reminds me of a funny moment.

Back in HS I drove a pathetic Ford Taurus. One day, I'm driving my Taurus home from somewhere and I hear this loud buzzing noise. I get kinda concerned trying to think of WTF might be wrong with my car when out of the corner of my eye I see a Geo Metro just inching into my view out the drivers window. That noise was the Metro coralling all of it's horses in an attempt to pass me. After seeing such a pathetic sight, and the look of determination on the drivers face, I couldn't hold it together and pulled over to laugh my ass off. I assume that was the intention all along.

Now thanks to this thread, I realize he was just having more fun than I could ever understand
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a BRZ for 8 months (had to sell it after getting married).
In the back roads it is very fun and the car stays flat. The feel of the car is very good and well sorted out.
I loved the driving position - getting back into my STI made it feel like I was driving a truck compared to BRZ.

The car is actually decently quick enough but it feels gutless in the mid range due to the notorious torque dip.
I feel that this is a big problem especially since he car is all about making you feel good rather than pushing out big numbers.

If you are on the track and keeping the revs between 5-7k RPM then it is not a problem as you are in the sweet spot.

The rear seats are a joke and I think it made the car needlessly long. Yes the trunk space is pretty good for its class if the BRZ was your only car.

In summary I'd look at a S2000 in good condition or a lightly used ND Miata. ND isn't any faster but the flatter torque curve in that car will make you feel better.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ding ding.

View Quote
I'd say the only argument against the corvette is you have to buy a used older model, while the BRZ/FRS can be had fairly cheap and pretty new.

That will especially help if you plan to finance the car.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Imo, buy a old clap trap truck for truck stuff, buy a eco box for dd and buy a sport car for fun....at which point unless you get the Miata. And I do...I want one. The next logical step to me is the Mustang GT w/track pack or vette in the FR configuration.
View Quote
What makes a car like the BRZ/FRS interesting to me is that it presents the possibility of replacing my motorcycle as a fun vehicle but being practical enough to drive more frequently. I simply don't get to ride the bike enough because I often need the cabin or cargo space of my truck for whatever we're doing, weather, etc. Bike rides almost have to be planned out to not cause an inconvenience. A fun car wouldn't replace my truck as a DD but it could give me more chances to drive it in certain situations my bike just doesn't work for.

For example, picking the kids up from school. The downside here is I doubt the BRZ/FRS would even be half the fun the bike is on low speed city streets.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What makes a car like the BRZ/FRS interesting to me is that it presents the possibility of replacing my motorcycle as a fun vehicle but being practical enough to drive more frequently. I simply don't get to ride the bike enough because I often need the cabin or cargo space of my truck for whatever we're doing, weather, etc. Bike rides almost have to be planned out to not cause an inconvenience. A fun car wouldn't replace my truck as a DD but it could give me more chances to drive it in certain situations my bike just doesn't work for.

For example, picking the kids up from school. The downside here is I doubt the BRZ/FRS would even be half the fun the bike is on low speed city streets.
View Quote
You’d be surprised.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You’d be surprised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’d be surprised.
Do you ride? I don't doubt it can be fun but it's hard for me to imagine it would be all that fun when simply going down a straight road at 25mph is fun on my bike. Even going slow and straight it's still so engaging, not to mention the wind, the smells, the noises, etc. I've never got the same impression from a car. The BRZ I test drove I didn't really get to fuck around with so it felt pretty normal. Now, if I drove it like a hooligan I'm sure I could have fun, but again I go to compare it to my bike and if I ride that like a hooligan I'm going to have fun also.

Where I think a fun car would really shine for me is being able to comfortably drive it down the highway on the way to drive some different fun roads. I don't find riding on the highway fun, I'm going fast enough where the wind has pretty much made most of the smells and noises go away, and I can't really look around and enjoy the scenery at all because in a split second I could die. Which I generally solve by avoiding the highway if I can, but it's the most effective way to get into some new riding territory quickly so I usually lose out on time I can spend riding the funner stuff.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do you ride? I don't doubt it can be fun but it's hard for me to imagine it would be all that fun when simply going down a straight road at 25mph is fun on my bike. Even going slow and straight it's still so engaging, not to mention the wind, the smells, the noises, etc. I've never got the same impression from a car. The BRZ I test drove I didn't really get to fuck around with so it felt pretty normal. Now, if I drove it like a hooligan I'm sure I could have fun, but again I go to compare it to my bike and if I ride that like a hooligan I'm going to have fun also.

Where I think a fun car would really shine for me is being able to comfortably drive it down the highway on the way to drive some different fun roads. I don't find riding on the highway fun, I'm going fast enough where the wind has pretty much made most of the smells and noises go away, and I can't really look around and enjoy the scenery at all because in a split second I could die. Which I generally solve by avoiding the highway if I can, but it's the most effective way to get into some new riding territory quickly so I usually lose out on time I can spend riding the funner stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’d be surprised.

It's not a binary on or off kind of thing. It's a spectrum.

Let me give you an idea...

Driving 80 MPH on the interstate in my F-150 SuperCrew is a non-event. The 5.0L Coyote V8 stays somewhere on the south side of 2k RPMs, and I can forget it's there until the Magnaflow muffler starts to hum a bit going up grades under load. There isn't much other noise unless I'm listing to music or having a conversation with passengers, which is a thing I can do. I can sit in my big ass leather seats, set the cruise control, and relax while sipping on a beverage and watching the world around me through the big windows and mirrors.

When I'm driving 80 MPH on the interstate in my NA Miata... shit. is. happening. The engine is spinning ~4k RPMs, and the throttle is so responsive in that range that it takes more concentration just to hold speed. The top kills visibility and doesn't reduce noise, so it's better to keep it down. Between the engine, the wind, and the road noise, there is no music and there will be no conversations. Going down the road, you can feel every seam, crack, and divot in the pavement, and that speed, they're constant. Just the air alone moves the car around more. And then there's the traffic... Midsize sedans like Accords and Sonatas are vehicles you look up into. CUVs like Equinoxes and Muranos look like commercial trucks, and the whole time you're passing them, you're looking into their mirror to see is Suzy the Soccer mom sees you or is even paying attention. Actual commercial trucks like 18 wheelers? Shit, man. It's pretty much best to assume that everyone is actively trying to kill you and plan accordingly.

Comparing the Miata to the F-150 is like comparing an open cockpit biplane to a passenger jet. One is a hell of a lot more fun, the other is a hell of a lot more capable and easier to live with.

The 86 is somewhere in between the two.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's the beauty of the 200 HP BRZ/86.  You can hit redline and rip through the gears on the city streets.  Really use the engine like it was designed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the beauty of the 200 HP BRZ/86.  You can hit redline and rip through the gears on the city streets.  Really use the engine like it was designed.
The illusion of speed then. Gross.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Driving 80 MPH on the interstate in my F-150 SuperCrew is a non-event. The 5.0L Coyote V8 stays somewhere on the south side of 2k RPMs, and I can forget it's there until the Magnaflow muffler starts to hum a bit going up grades under load. There isn't much other noise unless I'm listing to music or having a conversation with passengers, which is a thing I can do. I can sit in my big ass leather seats, set the cruise control, and relax while sipping on a beverage and watching the world around me through the big windows and mirrors.

When I'm driving 80 MPH on the interstate in my NA Miata... shit. is. happening. The engine is spinning ~4k RPMs, and the throttle is so responsive in that range that it takes more concentration just to hold speed. The top kills visibility and doesn't reduce noise, so it's better to keep it down. Between the engine, the wind, and the road noise, there is no music and there will be no conversations. Going down the road, you can feel every seam, crack, and divot in the pavement, and that speed, they're constant. Just the air alone moves the car around more. And then there's the traffic... Midsize sedans like Accords and Sonatas are vehicles you look up into. CUVs like Equinoxes and Muranos look like commercial trucks, and the whole time you're passing them, you're looking into their mirror to see is Suzy the Soccer mom sees you or is even paying attention. Actual commercial trucks like 18 wheelers? Shit, man. It's pretty much best to assume that everyone is actively trying to kill you and plan accordingly.

Comparing the Miata to the F-150 is like comparing an open cockpit biplane to a passenger jet. One is a hell of a lot more fun, the other is a hell of a lot more capable and easier to live with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’d be surprised.

Honestly, I think we're on the same page. I'm just saying that in even mundane driving scenarios my bike feels like your Miata and I'm afraid the BRZ/FRS (or anything similar really) will feel too close to my truck (or any other average vehicle) on that spectrum unless I'm purposely pushing its limits. Maybe that's exactly what some people want, lady in the street freaks in the sheets, but as a "fun" only vehicle I'm afraid it's going to fall short. That perspective might be the whole reason we're all discussing a differing opinion of the car.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Honestly, I think we're on the same page. I'm just saying that in even mundane driving scenarios my bike feels like your Miata and I'm afraid the BRZ/FRS (or anything similar really) will feel too close to my truck (or any other average vehicle) on that spectrum unless I'm purposely pushing its limits. Maybe that's exactly what some people want, lady in the street freaks in the sheets, but as a "fun" only vehicle I'm afraid it's going to fall short. That perspective might be the whole reason we're all discussing a differing opinion of the car.
View Quote
I'd be surprised if any car is going to give the same experience/feel you get from a bike, at least in similar driving experiences.  I think to get the same level of engagement you need to be much closer to the edge in a car.  I was going to buy a bike until I read up and the consensus seems to be people are driving worse than ever and you're going to have an accident of some kind.  I'm healthy and don't need a limp or permanent pain, so I opted for the BRZ as something fun to drive.  And to me, it really is.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nah, it's more about clutching, shifting, and bouncing the needle off redline with grace.  Listening to the feedback from the engine, seeing how smoothly you can make her sing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'd be surprised if any car is going to give the same experience/feel you get from a bike, at least in similar driving experiences.  I think to get the same level of engagement you need to be much closer to the edge in a car.  I was going to buy a bike until I read up and the consensus seems to be people are driving worse than ever and you're going to have an accident of some kind.  I'm healthy and don't need a limp or permanent pain, so I opted for the BRZ as something fun to drive.  And to me, it really is.
View Quote
Thats pretty much where I said I think a bike might have ruined cheap fun cars for me. Although, I think there is a lot of fun to be had in something with a little stoplight to stoplight power. For me, that doesn't need to be much. Like I also said, after watching a few of the supercharged BRZ videos on youtube that looks like PLENTY of seat of the pants fun for me, it just adds a decent chunk to the cost of the car.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nah, it's more about clutching, shifting, and bouncing the needle off redline with grace.  Listening to the feedback from the engine, seeing how smoothly you can make her sing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's ricer shit. Lotta noise and nothing to show for it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do. KTM 690 Enduro in sumo dress. The BRZ and Miata are as close as I’ve found to a bike while still being a cager. Had a factory turbo Mazdaspeed Miata that was a blast but it was too small for my needs. I’ve considered a Lotus Elise but the BRZ is a lot cheaper. The BRZ rear seats also fold down giving enough trunk space to fit a mountain bike with the wheels removed. Wasn’t a fan of putting a wheel and tire in the passenger seat when I shredded a tire with the Miata.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I do. KTM 690 Enduro in sumo dress. The BRZ and Miata are as close as I’ve found to a bike while still being a cager. Had a factory turbo Mazdaspeed Miata that was a blast but it was too small for my needs. I’ve considered a Lotus Elise but the BRZ is a lot cheaper. The BRZ rear seats also fold down giving enough trunk space to fit a mountain bike with the wheels removed. Wasn’t a fan of putting a wheel and tire in the passenger seat when I shredded a tire with the Miata.
View Quote
Well that's good to hear from someone who knows both.

I dont know if I could enjoy life without a bike, but I've been wanting to add a pair of CRF250L's for the wife & I and if I do that maybe I'll look at a BRZ harder to replace the CB500.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I wouldn’t give up the bike for anything. But I’m around DC a lot and I’m not riding 495.  I’ve had cars with double the horsepower, and the BRZ could use 50 more, but it scratches the bike itch for me. If you get a chance to test drive one you can beat on a bit without a salesman in the car you’ll get a little better feel for it. There are lots of FR-S/BRZ/86’s out there and most are not molested by “tuners”. Conversely, finding something like a clean Honda S2000 is going to be nearly impossible for a fair price.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 2:00:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t give up the bike for anything. But I’m around DC a lot and I’m not riding 495.  I’ve had cars with double the horsepower, and the BRZ could use 50 more, but it scratches the bike itch for me. If you get a chance to test drive one you can beat on a bit without a salesman in the car you’ll get a little better feel for it. There are lots of FR-S/BRZ/86’s out there and most are not molested by “tuners”. Conversely, finding something like a clean Honda S2000 is going to be nearly impossible for a fair price.
View Quote
I actually found a BRZ in SC that had a few tasteful mods (rims/tires & exhaust) already done for a decent price. Would be a great way to save a little money but I ain't sold yet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#37]
If you go for it be aware they’re terrible in snow/ice without studded snow tires. The ass end is so light you won’t get much of anywhere....even with traction control on. If you go with a car with larger brakes you’ll have issues finding a set of steel wheels that will fit. If it’s just a fair weather car disregard.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you go for it be aware they’re terrible in snow/ice without studded snow tires. The ass end is so light you won’t get much of anywhere....even with traction control on. If you go with a car with larger brakes you’ll have issues finding a set of steel wheels that will fit. If it’s just a fair weather car disregard.
View Quote
If I want it to be around in 10 years it will have to have never seen a winter road (and I generally hang on to stuff for awhile). My plan would be to park it and drive my truck in the winter.

The real question is wtf am I doing with my truck & my wife's car. She needs a new one & I would really prefer a 4x4 truck although mine has worked well for a 2wd. Those choices will really decide if I work in another fun vehicle or not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Like I said above...a 4Runner/BRZ/bike combo works pretty well!
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread taught me I can get an old lightly used Corvette instead of a new lightly used FRS for around the same price. Now I'm doing my research on C5 and C6 Corvettes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This thread taught me I can get an old lightly used Corvette instead of a new lightly used FRS for around the same price. Now I'm doing my research on C5 and C6 Corvettes.
View Quote
Wise man.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's ricer shit. Lotta noise and nothing to show for it.
View Quote
No it's racecar shit.  Ripping through the gears and hearing the engine sing is universal to all sports cars and motorcycles.  Getting so you have seamless clutching/shifting when there is total chaos going on in the engine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No it's racecar shit.  Ripping through the gears and hearing the engine sing is universal to all sports cars and motorcycles.  Getting so you have seamless clutching/shifting when there is total chaos going on in the engine.
View Quote
It's only racecar shit if you actually end up going somewhere. That Metro was not doing racecar shit!
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's only racecar shit if you actually end up going somewhere. That Metro was not doing racecar shit!
View Quote
Oh you end up going somewhere in my 86.  I don't know about the older cars.  Maybe they were dogs, and I've never driven one of the older models, but my 86 has no problem zipping me right on up there.  Mine is the 6-speed manual too so you can keep the engine spinning where its making power at all times.  I could imagine the auto is a bit doggish.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Oh you end up going somewhere in my 86.  I don't know about the older cars.  Maybe they were dogs, and I've never driven one of the older models, but my 86 has no problem zipping me right on up there.  Mine is the 6-speed manual too so you can keep the engine spinning where its making power at all times.  I could imagine the auto is a bit doggish.
View Quote
Just giving ya shit.

Although I imagine somebody stepping out of a new Z06 vette into a new BRZ might give you one of these "" about that going somewhere part
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just giving ya shit.

Although I imagine somebody stepping out of a new Z06 vette into a new BRZ might give you one of these "" about that going somewhere part
View Quote
If I paid $60k for the 86 maybe I would give a shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I looked over on Corvette forum and I didn't see any $20k C6 Z06 cars.
 You can find base C6 cars for that kind of money though.

674rwhp for $22k
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

674rwhp for $22k
View Quote
C6Z has the LS7. The engine alone is something like $17,000. Good luck finding one for 20s. You can find a C6GS of you wait though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

674rwhp for $22k
View Quote
I'm seeing plenty of low mileage C6's for less than 25k on autotrader. Only a few Z06 at that price, but honestly even a base is a good car. Figure there is some room to haggle there as well. For 15-20k you can find a low mile C5 Z06 blindfolded.

Cheapest BRZ/FRS I saw on there (that wasn't wrecked) was 10k. Most that looked decent & had decent mileage were 15k+ (obviously + as age and miles went down). New looks like 23k-35k (looks like dealer mods on the more expensive ones)
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Are any of you even able to find a BRZ or 86 in a non shitty color and with a standard in your area?
About the only 86 I can find with a manual is that black TRD with cheesy hockey stripe for about $34k, which doesn’t seem like a deal at all.
Hell, I can’t even find a new Miata with a manual around here.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top