Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/8/2020 1:08:11 PM EDT
Are the basically a extended range walkie talkie ? My dad leaves about 5 miles from me, not much change in elevation, with some sporadic woods and your typical city type buildings between us. Would we be able to communicate if we both had the same model ? How about with my mom ? She's 15 miles away.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Y’all need licenses, but the good news is they are simple to get.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Are there repeaters in your area? If so, reaching anyone within range of them will be pretty easy. 5mi on simplex should be doable in good conditions, but probably not with the stock antenna. More than 10 miles.. probably not.

You need to be licensed to transmit on 70cm/2m unless it is an emergency.

The test is easy and its kind of a neat hobby.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
There are MURS and GMRS versions.

MURS = VHF license free. Btech MURS

GMRS = UHF $80 license that can be used by the members of your family.  Btech GMRS
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
If you order a chinese radio, you get corona virus and you won't know how to use the radio. If you want to learn and get your ham ticket, lurk the airwaves for 20 years. Only then will the elder hams allow you to build your first radio out of paperclips and bubble gum, and you then may request permission to talk on their waves after sacrificing a Yankee Lima to the Ham God of Neckbeards.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you order a chinese radio, you get corona virus and you won't know how to use the radio. If you want to learn and get your ham ticket, lurk the airwaves for 20 years. Only then will the elder hams allow you to build your first radio out of paperclips and bubble gum, and you then may request permission to talk on their waves after sacrificing a Yankee Lima to the Ham God of Neckbeards.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are there repeaters in your area? If so, reaching anyone within range of them will be pretty easy. 5mi on simplex should be doable in good conditions, but probably not with the stock antenna. More than 10 miles.. probably not.

View Quote
Does a cell phone tower act as a repeater ? I know less then nothing about this subject.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does a cell phone tower act as a repeater ? I know less then nothing about this subject.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a really good intro series on YouTube.

Simplex is radio to radio communication. You and dad have radios, you talk to each other. Like the old walkie talkies when we were kids.

Repeater means there is another radio, like a base station connected to a computer, between the two of you. That radio records what you're saying and then plays it back with much more power. So when you talk to dad, you're actually talking to the repeater, and then the repeater "repeats" your communication and your dad can hear it.

If you're looking for basic 2-3 mile communication, get the Baofeng MURS radios and move on. Any further than that and you should get your license which enables the legal usage of better equipment.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you need a dedicated ham radio repeater.  Repeaterbook.com lists all the repeaters out there along with their frequencies, tones, offset, etc.

The Technician level license is what you need to operate legally.  It's super easy to get, and cheap.  The test subject matter is pretty basic but by studying it you'll learn what you need to know to use your radio.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I own a shit Tom of them but couldn’t tell you a damn thing.

Thanks ARFCOM
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Listening to my Baofeng as I read this.  I’m planning on getting my license this summer, but enjoy just listening to the chitchat.  It’s pretty cool when guys are hitting repeaters and talking from neighboring states , or across the states.

Also, you can listen to FM radio stations.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread in a nutshell.

Guy 1: Explains to OP how the baofeng works and what to do and if it will work so OP can have extra communication with his (I'm assuming) elderly parents.

Guy 2: I support freedom. Oh, wait, some guy wants to talk to his dad 5 miles away on a high powered walkie talkie? You better get your license to join our special club or we will hunt your signal down and give you a beat'n.

Guy 3: I neckbearded a bunch of baofengs, have no idea how to use them so they sit in my closet and this is a really long "tag" while I wait for guy 1 to show up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Guy 1: Explains to OP how the baofeng works and what to do and if it will work so OP can have extra communication with his (I'm assuming) elderly parents.

Guy 2: I support freedom. Oh, wait, some guy wants to talk to his dad 5 miles away on a high powered walkie talkie? You better get your license to join our special club or we will hunt your signal down and give you a beat'n.

Guy 3: I neckbearded a bunch of baofengs, have no idea how to use them so they sit in my closet and this is a really long "tag" while I wait for guy 1 to show up.
View Quote
we use them training dogs every day and also keep them stashed in our Go Bags.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rage against the machine and operate illegally.  Just don’t be surprised at the predictable results.

Guys encouraging you to get licensed, the local clubs to me have free classes, are helping you to actually use them rather than hoping you and your dad both can figure them out in an emergency.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are the basically a extended range walkie talkie ? My dad leaves about 5 miles from me, not much change in elevation, with some sporadic woods and your typical city type buildings between us. Would we be able to communicate if we both had the same model ? How about with my mom ? She's 15 miles away.
View Quote
No and No unless you and them get a license and use a repeater if available.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You and them need to be licensed to transmit on 70cm/2m unless it is an emergency.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#17]
They're cheap enough you should keep one in every room.

Maybe two, cause "two is one..."
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#18]
AR15.com Ham Radios

ETA: use CHIRP. Someone in your area may already have a profile set up for local repeaters and whatnot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag...
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a a Technician license
Buy a Baofeng UV-5R or a UV-5X3 from BTech
Buy a programming cable that has a genuine FTDI chipset in it
Use RepeaterBook to find repeaters in your area
Use CHIRP to program the repeaters and offsets for your radio.
Have fun making friends
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Perfect
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Rage against the machine and operate illegally.  Just don’t be surprised at the predictable results.

Guys encouraging you to get licensed, the local clubs to me have free classes, are helping you to actually use them rather than hoping you and your dad both can figure them out in an emergency.
View Quote
Everything you say us true. It's just weird how this works. If I post, "I'd like to buy or build an AR pistol. What kind should I get?" I'll get a bunch if various opinions on length, caliber, SBR vs pistol, etc. What I WON'T get are a bunch of replies that say, "you can't make a pistol unless you register it. Go take some classes and learn how to build ARs before you try it. Do you have a CPL? You can't carry an AR pistol without a CPL.  If I or any of my friends find out you've got an SBR or an AR pistol without the right paperwork I'll turn you into the ATF."  Once in a while an outlier will post something like this, but its unusual. It seems to the majority of replies in anything radio related.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pffff look at how many people were frantacly asking how to use their radio for VA lobby day. Remember you don't need to learn anything and those stinkin' licenses won't be needed when "SHTF", amirite?
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, for cell phones.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Everything you say us true. It's just weird how this works. If I post, "I'd like to buy or build an AR pistol. What kind should I get?" I'll get a bunch if various opinions on length, caliber, SBR vs pistol, etc. What I WON'T get are a bunch of replies that say, "you can't make a pistol unless you register it. Go take some classes and learn how to build ARs before you try it. Do you have a CPL? You can't carry an AR pistol without a CPL.  If I or any of my friends find out you've got an SBR or an AR pistol without the right paperwork I'll turn you into the ATF."  Once in a while an outlier will post something like this, but its unusual. It seems to the majority of replies in anything radio related.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's more like, "I'd like to build a 4" AR pistol just in case I need to hunt big game at 1,000 yards. I don't want to bother with it being legal, cause I'm going to stuff it in a drawer without sighting it in or practicing. Nobody tell me anything about ballistics because it's too complicated and I don't care. Just give me the parts list and vendor where I can get the parts for my unreasonable goal. If you don't help me you're a gatekeeping jerk."
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#26]
5 miles is pushing it but the radios are cheap enough to buy a pair and see if it’ll work.

Maybe mount an antenna on your roof or some other structure.

I’ve seen the UV5R with a Nagoya 701 antenna hit a repeater at 25 miles from the side of a mountain so I think 5 miles with the appropriate (base station type) antenna might be doable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because baofengs come preprogrammed with miscellaneous frequencies. Someone with no knowledge could very easily disrupt other services and get themselves into trouble by trying to use it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I guess I'm guy #2? I was just trying to answer OP's question. I said nothing about "You better get your license to join our special club or we will hunt your signal down and give you a beat'n" or anything of the like.

I give no such fucks. You do you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#29]
You'll most likely need an aftermarket antenna or probably much better would be making the one you hang in a tree. It helped mine quite a bit. And yes you would need to pass the technician license test to broadcast on it on a channel that would go 5 miles. Also if you have a lot of stuff in the line of site directly going the 5 miles would be hit or miss. Also if you plan to do this from inside your house without hooking to an external antenna it probably wouldn't work too well.

I guess my opinion (not that its worth much) is if you just want to just buy radios and talk its probably not the best solution.  If you have an interest in learning about radio and dont mind tinkering and testing things out you can definitely do what you are asking.  Its not going to be as easy as just buy 2 radios and "you're good" unless you get really lucky.

<- Not an expert.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
With a cheaper radio it would probably make it worse, and no it doesnt help you.  Well I suppose it might if you climbed to the top of the tower and transmitted from there :)
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#31]
They are good for emergencies because they have capabilities not on type rated radios.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#32]
If you talk on them without a license the ham hogs will come butt fuck you
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I just passed my technician exam and got one of those radios. It was a mistake. I should have done more research. Very hard to program the repeaters successfully.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#34]
OP-you could extend your SIMPLEX (radio to radio) range by mounting an antenna on your roof and running some coax from it to your handheld.

Remove the stock antenna on your handheld "handi-talkie" (HT) and connect your rooftop coax to your HT.

The higher the antennas (both yours and your dads) the better.

Think line-of-site communications
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Only real downside is the can't take heat..one of mine died in a hot car.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you talke on them without a license the ham hogs will come butt fuck you
View Quote
If one stays in the T bands, The amateur guys will not be a problem.

ETA: Don't do that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just passed my technician exam and got one of those radios. It was a mistake. I should have done more research. Very hard to program the repeaters successfully.
View Quote
Watch this video to learn how to program your Baofeng using Chirp

BaoFeng Ham Radio Complete Setup And Programming! UV-5R BF-F8HP UV-82HP

ETA: watch his entire series, or at least the topics you are interested in.  The bonus is you'll learn about all the beer he likes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP-you could extend your SIMPLEX (radio to radio) range by mounting an antenna on your roof and running some coax from it to your handheld.

Remove the stock antenna on your handheld "handi-talkie" (HT) and connect your rooftop coax to your HT.

The higher the antennas (both yours and your dads) the better.

Think line-of-site communications
View Quote
This is correct. But, antennas have to be tuned to the band or bands that will be used. Also, what's known as the front end on the chicom radios is fairly loose. So with an outdoor antenna that prolly has some gain you're going to run into the possibility of hearing more interference.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Not to hijack the thread, but is there a way to run encrypted comms with something like this?

It would be nice to have a really long-range walkie-talkie, assuming that the only people that could tap into the signal and hear what you’re saying are you and those you give the decryption key to.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but is there a way to run encrypted comms with something like this?

It would be nice to have a really long-range walkie-talkie, assuming that the only people that could tap into the signal and hear what you’re saying are you and those you give the decryption key to.
View Quote
Nope, encryption is not legal on Ham bands.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not unless you used the radio as a modem in a way.

I run AES encrypted comms but I use Moto gear. It's easy to do basic encryption with a Moto radio, but if you want anything that is really secure it can get pricey to buy a keyloader.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I applied for an itinerant frequencies license and have some encryption capable radios (legacy Motorola). There is some open source software available that can program the keys without a Key Variable Loader (KVL). They will still only have VHF performance without setting up a repeater, but should be adequate for local comms.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I applied for an itinerant frequencies license and have some encryption capable radios (legacy Motorola). There is some open source software available that can program the keys without a Key Variable Loader (KVL). They will still only have VHF performance without setting up a repeater, but should be adequate for local comms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you screw with the busybodies by showing them pics like this.

Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/103177/14652_aes_jpg-715108.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/103177/14652_aes_jpg-715108.JPG
Mine are Model 1 I would like at least one model 2 or 3 so I could do that. .
This is as good as I can do.

ETA: Open source KVL I haven't tried this yet, but it may be a viable alternative to a Moto KVL.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Why not use a cell phone?
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Question 2.

If OP does suck the butt of the Ham God and gets a Tech license. Then his father would have to do the same. Then to add dear old mother to the chat line. She would also have to go get her Tech license. So now we have 3 people with their individual Tech license and call signs. Everytime a member keys up a radio to chat with another family member. They need to say their individual call letters first?

If all of the above is correct. Which I assume it is? That sounds like a lot of work just to say "hay dad, whatca up to"?

Wouldn't they be better off getting a family license on the GMRS channels and try that first?
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
That would be too easy, unless you get an amateur tech license.

If you go the route I did, it takes a lot more effort to decipher the FCC, apply for the license, determine the flash codes you need, locate the hardware, find the software to program and potentially brick the hardware you searched for.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not unless you used the radio as a modem in a way.

I run AES encrypted comms but I use Moto gear. It's easy to do basic encryption with a Moto radio, but if you want anything that is really secure it can get pricey to buy a keyloader.
View Quote
Kinda Moto gear do you use?
I use an XPR 5550 & 7550

ETA:NVM...see you're doing P25 on an XTL
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you go the route I did, it takes a lot more effort to decipher the FCC, apply for the license, determine the flash codes you need, locate the hardware, find the software to program and potentially brick the hardware you searched for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have my license. I'm a General class.
I don't find programming radio hard at all using their CPS.
MD380,AnyTone, HD1 are all easy to program to me.
Even my Moto gear is easy to program, not easy on the wallet though
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Here is a really good intro series on YouTube.

Simplex is radio to radio communication. You and dad have radios, you talk to each other. Like the old walkie talkies when we were kids.

Repeater means there is another radio, like a base station connected to a computer, between the two of you. That radio records what you're saying and then plays it back with much more power. So when you talk to dad, you're actually talking to the repeater, and then the repeater "repeats" your communication and your dad can hear it.

If you're looking for basic 2-3 mile communication, get the Baofeng MURS radios and move on. Any further than that and you should get your license which enables the legal usage of better equipment.
View Quote
That is one of the easiest to read and informative posts on HAM I've ever read, thanks! Do you have a newsletter? Cause I'd subscribe in a heartbeat!

Subscribing to this thread to come back and read more later. As someone pointed out, the ham forum gets technical/jargony quick and loses me, here's to hoping there's some good simple info here. Also haven't checked the HAM forum in years, maybe I'll try again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top