Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2016. No. No. No.
Toyota needs to fix their problems.
View Quote

I drive a 19 Pro. And had a 17. What problems are you referring to?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
2012-2015 is best taco.

Only sold due needing car seat space and was tight with double cab.

Drive this now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164007/55AEF9D4-D2D8-4BF3-AF5B-74C7A94A05BF-1773234.jpg

ETA: drove F150 screw between the two until I saw the light.
View Quote

This, except I had a Nissan Titan in between.  Whatever you do, don’t make that mistake.

This is my 2019, I put an Orange Virus tune in it.  That solved most of the drive ability problems and really bumped the power over 3500 rpm.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
@Tactical_Jew

I edited my post to add my issues.

Quoted:

I drive a 19 Pro. And had a 17. What problems are you referring to?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
2019 trd sport.  Acceleration sucks and the seat is uncomfortable if your tall. Otherwise fantastic truck. Would have got a tundra
, but really wanted a truck to fit in the garage
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A thread full of people who owned and hated the Taco still brings out the delusional Taco fanboys.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thinking of moving from a Nissan to a Toyota. If I do, it'll be a Tocoma. For those whom bought one in the last year or two, what do you think? Would you buy one again or not? Any advice?

Thinking about it?  Nissan is pure GARBAGE.  They are not even in the same league as the Tacoma.  Get rid of that crap and come on over to the Taco side.  You'll never look back and you'll be glad you did.

A thread full of people who owned and hated the Taco still brings out the delusional Taco fanboys.

LOL

2020 TRD Off-Road owner.  First one, best mid-size truck I have ever owned.  NO issues whatsoever.

I wonder why they have such high resale value?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s a nice truck. A little sluggish, and poor on gas. Kinda thinking about going to a full size when the lease is up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#7]
2018 TRD Pro

Kind of weak compared to the turbo charged trucks out there. Will probably last twice as long though.The offroad capabilities of the TRD Pro are pretty nice. It does excellent in steep grade icy road conditions that I deal with each winter. If I need ground clearance, it's my go to vehicle. The bed is quite small at 5.5 feet on my model. Not only is the length small, the height is noticeably shorter than many trucks. I've still slept in the bed comfortably with the tailgate down a bunch of times with a roll over bed cover.

The Wrangler tires the TRD Pro came with were crap. As soon as they wore out, I put a set of BFGoodrich Traction TA KOS's on it. Much better winter weather performance.

The headlights were pretty weak from the factory. Nothing a set of S V.4 LED lights couldn't fix. The factory front bumper is what you'd expect from current production trucks, a mass of plastic over a aluminum bumper. I hit an adult female mule deer at about 25mph and did about 5 grand in damage without even touching an engine bay components. Headlight nacelles were over a grand each. Replaced the bumper with a much heftier one after that with the insurance money.

I'm 6'2, and don't have any issues with head room. I don't even rock the seat all the way to the back. The TRD Pro is very comfortable for seating.

Toyota is pretty far behind on their electronics packages. Such as the truck came with a lane centering feature. So when I go to use it, I find their lane centering feature equals the truck beeps at you if you drift lanes. So when you need your windshield replaced, they'll try to sucker you in to having the forward facing camera re-calibrated for an absurd amount of money. All so that this system can bitch when you drift. No thanks. Turn that feature right off.

The infotainment system looks like it came from a car from 2006. It's small, the apps are mostly useless and the nav system is mostly retarded. Connecting to your phone is clumsy. The Ford offering was superior in every way. Both are a joke compared to my Tesla.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 2015.  I only put about 10k miles on it a year.  If I cared about gas mileage I would not have stt pros on it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LOL

2020 TRD Off-Road owner.  First one, best mid-size truck I have ever owned.  NO issues whatsoever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thinking of moving from a Nissan to a Toyota. If I do, it'll be a Tocoma. For those whom bought one in the last year or two, what do you think? Would you buy one again or not? Any advice?

Thinking about it?  Nissan is pure GARBAGE.  They are not even in the same league as the Tacoma.  Get rid of that crap and come on over to the Taco side.  You'll never look back and you'll be glad you did.

LOL

Resale is a stupid metric.  It is based on MSRP and not the actual price paid.  It makes no sense.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#10]
2020 TRD OR here, it’s a good little truck
Don’t understand all the hate
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Ive delt with electrical gremlins in my 2016. The dealership has them sorted for the time being. When it works, it's underpowered and has a frustrating transmission.
It works for a little truck, though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes. Not sure why that matters though?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you coming from a frontier?

Yes. Not sure why that matters though?

Wanted a manual trans Taco, test drove a few of them, couldn't do it. Just too cramped inside coming from a Frontier.
Went with a 4Runner Off Road instead. Way more interior room. Love the 4Runner.

Recommend you test drive one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#13]
2015 Access Cab 4x4 with 6 speed manual transmission. 4.0 liter engine. Bought new and has been a hoss. Would definitely buy anotherAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a Nissan Crew Cab Frontier yesterday. Got a helluva deal, IMO.

Thanks to all whom answered, it was a huge help.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

What was the deal?  My Xterra was a reliable vehicle.  There is something to KISS.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Perceived value based on their history. 2011 Sequoia we have is the biggest turd I've had the pleasure of owning aside my wife's 96 Firebird w/ the V6.

Hopefully yours is good but there's no secret they've had some problems with the tacos for a few years now.

I was leery of one since we'd had the Seq. issues and then I drove one and felt the nose was huge and it sat really weird for me. Could never get comfortable in the thing. I grew up riding in the old Toyota pickup trucks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I think you made a smart move.  

I own a 2016 4WD Frontier crew cab and it has been a very good truck.  Comfortable on long drives and no problems outside of routine maintenance.  Roomy cab too.  My wife has ridden in the back seat for 3 hours with no complaints.  May look dated to some, but who cares  It's a truck.  Not a fashion statement.  This year it will be towing our new 2021 Flagstaff E-Pro 19FBS RV trailer.  With real gasoline the mileage is decent.  About 2mpg better than with fake gas.   I got it new in November 2016 for all of $26,400 out the door.  Saved many thousands over a Tacoma or a Colorado.  It has held it's value too.  Taken at a local county park.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#18]
As long as you understand what you are getting into, it’s a good choice

Is an old, dated vehicle, but cheap and reliable

I have over 200k on an 05 titan swapped, fully locked Xterra. Terrible gas mileage but I made it worse, soooo
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#19]
My man.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Resale is a stupid metric.  It is based on MSRP and not the actual price paid.  It makes no sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

No it's not.  Resale is not based on MSRP. It is based on the quality and reliability of the vehicle. How much life is left in the vehicle and what future problems may be encountered. Reliability and cost of ownership.

By your logic, a used BMW 7 series ( for example ) would have  high resale value. They don't. They don't retain their value or get anywhere near their MSRP in the used car market.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#21]
2018 Frontier SV6 4WD Crew Cab. No regrets.
$27,100
Found a used A.R.E. topper for $300.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#22]
'18 Fronty PRO-4X that my son drives,  great value and a solid truck
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bought a Nissan Crew Cab Frontier yesterday.
View Quote

Which engine / year did you get?
Manual or Auto?
4x4?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a 2021 Tundra now and love it.  Before this I had a 2017 trd pro Tacoma, I had a 2013 Tacoma, a 2004 Tacoma and I’ve had three 4Runners.  I still have a 2019 4Runner as well and it’s great.  

My least favorite of all would have been the 2017 Tacoma.  My all time favorite Toyota I’ve owned is my 2007 FJ Cruiser.  

Did I mention I’ve owned a couple other Toyota’s lol....
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#25]
got a 2020 TRD Off Road, its great, love it off road, thing will go anywhere
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Which engine / year did you get?
Manual or Auto?
4x4?
View Quote

2020, 3.8L, DOHC. Auto, 9-speed. 4WD? Of course.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

2020, 3.8L, DOHC. Auto, 9-speed. 4WD? Of course.  
View Quote

Ah the transitional model Frontier. Old body new engine.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

pics or it didnt happen.....!

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Gratz!

Love my 2020 Frontier Desert Runner.

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ah the transitional model Frontier. Old body new engine.
View Quote

Yeah, I got an old body too..............  

I'm ok with the body style, I don't need the latest & greatest.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

pics or it didnt happen.....!

View Quote

Not picked it up yet, later today.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:41:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
 Resale is not based on MSRP. It is based on the quality and reliability of the vehicle. How much life is left in the vehicle and what future problems may be encountered. Reliability and cost of ownership.

View Quote

No, it's based on supply, demand, and perception of value.  

I drove an '02 frontier for a long time, and liked it a lot.  My two beefs with it were the shitty economy (V6 with a manual) and the lack of a locking diff/limited slip.  When off roading, I would often get stopped because two wheels were spinning.  It was underpowered, too, but I drive like a boomer.  I had an X-terra that I liked a lot too.  

At some point, Nissan decided all of their trucks should be ugly as fuck, and I lost interest.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Test drove 3 trd 4x4s
Hilly areas.
Bought a ZR2.
I have Toyota parts listed on Craigslist that came out of my FJ.
Some people have had bad torque converters in the GMs. I'm not one of them. 32k miles so far.
The truck gets used a lot off road.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Resale is not based on MSRP. It is based on the quality and reliability of the vehicle. How much life is left in the vehicle and what future problems may be encountered. Reliability and cost of ownership.

Also it's based MSRP as I said. A Tacoma is always thrown out there as a vehicle to get due to its projected high resale value.  I paid $36.4k for my $45k MSRP ZR2.  So, hypothetically, if someone paid $40k for their $40k MSRP Tacoma at the same time and we both sell for $33k, which is the better value?  The Tacoma lost a lower percentage of value based on MSRP so its resale value is higher.  The Tacoma owner lost $7k while I lost $3.4k.  Point being when projected vehicle resale is thrown out there it is a function of MSRP and not discounted price paid.  You can't base projected resale value on price paid because everyone gets different deals so it is understandable why MSRP is used.  Its just stupid to use as a potential buyer as you can get a great deal on a vehicle with lower resale and come out ahead of a less discounted and higher resale vehicle.  Weigh in purchase price and what vehicle you like better and dont blindly think that a vehicle advertised with a high resale value means you lose less money than one with a lower resale value.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#35]
My new one:

Attachment Attached File

"Under the hood is a 3.8-liter V6 pumping out 310hp and 281lb-ft of torque. Direct injection gives quick response, up to 6,720 lbs maximum towing capacity."

Quote is from Nissan's web site.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My new one:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15596/Frontier_jpg-1803605.JPG

"Under the hood is a 3.8-liter V6 pumping out 310hp and 281lb-ft of torque. Direct injection gives quick response, up to 6,720 lbs maximum towing capacity."

View Quote
Lava Red?
So other than the engine and trans, is everything identical physically to your old one? Interior exterior. Lol not a shot, I'm just wondering how many years worth of Frontiers I'll have to supply parts for my '12 Xterra.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, ok.......as long as you like it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Lava Red?
So other than the engine and trans, is everything identical physically to your old one? Interior exterior. Lol not a shot, I'm just wondering how many years worth of Frontiers I'll have to supply parts for my '12 Xterra.
View Quote

They introduced the new drive train this year.  Next year they will do a complete new truck using this new drive train.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My new one:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15596/Frontier_jpg-1803605.JPG

View Quote

It's purdy. Those alloy wheels are sharp.

It actually looks like a mid-size truck - Not a mid-size truck trying to look like a full-size.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Nice truck OP.  I just got this one a week ago.

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Black? Good luck keeping it clean. I had a black Jeep once, never again!
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Black? Good luck keeping it clean. I had a black Jeep once, never again!
View Quote

Yeah, it's going to be a pain to keep clean.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top