Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for more.

These are great.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I posted this a while back, but its worth repeating . . .

How about the little old fella that showed up at the range with the 500 A-Square . . .

. . .  

Oh God, I'm crying!

Found a pic at Hunting Rifles.com for a size comparison. Would like to see a .308 next to it...

From left to right  600 OK, 500 AHR, 500 A-Square
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about the little old fella that showed up at the range with the 500 A-Square . . .

. . .  

Oh God, I'm crying!

One of the best stories I have ever read!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad and a couple of other guys built a 200 yard range at a hunting lease we had for about 20 years. High dirt backstops, shooting bench, target stands at 25, 50, 100, 150, 200 yards, it was a nice setup.  On the 150 and 200 yard target stands they had 1/4" steel plates that you could spray paint a little dot on it, lead bullet goes splat, makes a mark, repaint.

Anyway we had a few members that were fairly high up in some LE organizations. This is in the 80's, I'm about 13 at the time and one of the other kids about my age, my younger brother, and myself are heading down to this range to shoot our 10/22s and my single six. The other kid's dad (one of the LE guys) says why don't yall try this and proceeds to give us his department issued AC-556 (select fire Mini-14) and a can of ammo. Just smiles and say "You boys have fun".

We go down to the range (just us kids) and start shooting this rifle semi-auto. We are trying to hit the 1/4" steel plate at 150 with open sights but we aren't hearing any dings from the plate or seeing any splat marks, we just think our shooting sucks after about 30 tries. We give up on the 150 yard plate and the son shows me where the switch is. We walk downrange a little bit and fire off some bursts aiming downrange at these steel plate as well, mainly just trying to put them in the dirt backstop. We had a good time.

The funny part was when we went down to look at the targets. Instead of bullet splat marks on the plates surface there were perfect little round holes all in the plate at 150 yards. I don't know what kind of ammo he gave us but it was not friendly to the steel plate. My dad was kinda pissed when we showed him the holes but he got over it after a few minutes. No wonder we couldn't hear the damn plate getting hit since the bullets were passing straight through it like a piece of paper. I still would like to know what ammo we were shooting, didn't care at the time so I didn't even really look. I just know a regular jacketed .270, .243, .30-06 or whatever would splatter but these damn things sure didn't
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

And have many have ever heard this nugget of shooter's wisdom;  "I shoot standing up when I sight in my gun cause that's how I shoot when I'm hunting."?  Apparently benchresting your gun while zeroing is for idiots and pussies...

That is exactly how I check my hunting rifles before hunting season. Shooting from a bench causes a different hold, and a different cheek weld, which can affect point of impact in relation to my sight picture.

Not to mention that lever guns have this nasty habit of vertically stringing shots shooting off of a rest, that nifty front handguard always touching the barrel and all.... and never being absolutely sure of having it resting in exactly the same way and spot on the bag or rest......

Practice as you shoot afterall.

Edit to comment on B Square, there is a company that makes (or made) a single shot 50 BMG pistol, I want one very bad, but doubt it woudl be lawful to own up here. But they were made, kidof a hassle to load though, pull the bolt, snap round into bolt, reinsert bolt....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#6]
MORE!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I get tired of the folks who bring their kids to the range, not to teach them to shoot, but so the kids can run around unsupervised while Dad sights in his new toy.  Ever had a kid pop-up in front of your bench right as you are getting ready to fire?  

We have a local public range that has become very popular with the brass scavengers, not reloader brass whores....just folks who show up to pick up any brass to take to a recycler.
So, I'm there trying out some of my own reloads...and this huge old Ford pick-up pulls in. The doors swing open and 3 screamin' little banshee kids come piling out ...then go running up to the firing line and start grabbing brass like a bunch of chickens goin' after  cracked corn.

Everybody on the line stops and sternly informs "Daddy" ,who looks like he hadn't taken a bath since the last time it rained, to reign in the munchkins. So they begrudgingly  fall back to waiting until the line goes cold. When the line resumed "Hot" , fella on the next bench starts rapid firing his Bushy....apparently one of the little cherubs couldn't resist all those golden nuggets just laying there and trys to scoop up a handful of freshly fired 5.56mm casings...HOT casings. Needless to say, at least one of them learned a lesson that day.

Oh yeah, and "Momma" stayed in the truck...with the engine running the whole time...burning up 10x in gas what they would'a made in selling brass that day.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#8]
bump
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I heard this one second hand...  

USAF Academy range - summer of 1996...  Many might not know this but every year the Air Force lets 10 foreign students attend the Academy.  I remember guys from Cameroon, Nigeria, Tunisia, and a fair number of Pakistanis.  Anyhow, this story revolves around a guy from Albania - I think his last name was Guma.  Many other stories about this guy surfaced while at the Academy - he wanted to go home for summer leave and fight in the civil war or whatever...

Anyhow, during your first summer the AF qualifies you on the M9 and M16 (yeah, their M16s were the originals).  They get about 60 cadets and 10 or so instructors up on the line and it is a very controlled environment.  They have timed drills and mag changes and you shoot probably 60 rounds out of the M16 and a similar number out of the M9.  So Guma is up there shooting and gets some sort of misfire.  Our instructions in such a situation are to raise your hand, keep your pistol pointed down range and an instructor will be over to help you out...  So Guma keeps the pistol pointed down range, raises his hand, and the instructor comes over to see what's wrong.  As the instructor gets closer, Guma turns to him, pistol turning too, and begins to pull the trigger about 10 times saying it won't work!!!  Luckily it didn't fire because the instructor would have caught a few in the belly!  From that point on I think the instructors took to wearing some sort of body armor just in case!

I don't know - might be an urban legend...

Spooky
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#10]
The guy with the hawken had me laughing, but the story about the little guy with the pistol nearly made me wet myself!  

My contribution (not near as funny as above, but better than a BTT):

I was new to the sporting goods/hunting/gun business and pretty trusting.  If someone said they were a Navy SEAL I had no reason not to believe 'em, because I knew I wasn't and figured EVERYONE knew more than me.  

Anyway, one of our regulars who claimed to be prior SF came in shortly after 9/11 and said he needed a new knife.  He was shipping out to Afghanistan and wanted to be able to silently kill Al Quaeda sentries.  He was also interested in a crossbow for the same purpose.  Now that caused a flicker on my BS meter right there, just because I would think a supressed firearm would beat a knife or a crossbow for that kind of work, but what do I know?  

But, what really tipped me off that this guy was full of it, was the dude was about 65, about 150 lbs . . . . . . . overweight (total weight in excess of 300); walked with a cane and couldn't make it to the back of the store without losing his breath.  Same guy would later (after the military decided they needed him here more than in Afghanistan) ask us to get him a chair so he could sit in front of the gun cabinet and drool over the guns.

He was a nice guy though and almost always bought something when he came in, so I just let him talk and tried to answer his questions the best I could.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Disconnector

I can't breathe!! AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Same here
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#12]
around Tifton.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

. . .  

Oh God, I'm crying!

One of the best stories I have ever read!

+1 that has to appear in a gun rag someday
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
In the spirit of "true tales of the ffl" and other supurb threads I offer the following.

When a younger lad I had spent time as a "trapper" and eventually "range officer" on a heavily visited public rifle range, east of NewYork City.

Not one to carry on so I will offer just a snippet of my experiences.

Episode 1

POW! PING! ZZZZZZIPPP ! What daaaa F__K !!!

On a cold crispy sunday morning sombody decided to throw a few fistfulls of 22rf ammo in a old 55 gallon drum that contained buring scrpas of lumber and was the hand warming and coffee chat area for anyone whom cared to wander over.

Who did this I asked over the speaker phone?

apparently a few people admitted to this act! unknowningly working as a team!

Why? now we have to evacuate the 50 yard range and drag this glowing red hot barrel away.

Please dont do that again sir......

The answers ranged from "well I wanted to see if it would melt the brass" , " i figured they would go off , but wanted to see" , and " I didnt know it was real ammo "

ZIIIIPPPPPPP...???????

Rounds dont have presure without a chamber so while they will pop the round does not go but a small distance from the casing..
not the story just the results of the rounds...

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
when I was 6 y.o. I shot .22 lr rounds in the house by setting em on the floor and hitting em with an old army helmet.

My 5 year brother did the same thing, but used a flat rock, out in the driveway. Fragments of brass went into his hand. We took him to the hospital, and, under the new law in Massachusetts, which requires that ALL firearm injuries be reported to law enforcement, he became the first firearm injury in the state reported under that new law.

Yes, I know there was no firearm present. We had no guns at the time, so we still don't know how he got the .22 ammo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I remember the story about the .500 A square pistol. I had forgotten about it though, thanks for reposting.

Same here- thanks! It should also go in Swindle1984's gun shop/show/range characters thread.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit to comment on B Square, there is a company that makes (or made) a single shot 50 BMG pistol, I want one very bad, but doubt it woudl be lawful to own up here. But they were made, kidof a hassle to load though, pull the bolt, snap round into bolt, reinsert bolt....

I remember pics of it posted here years ago with a woman in a yellow bikini holding it. The gun was OD in color and had a humungous muzzle brake- go figure....

How could somebody actually fire one of those things?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Sad but funny.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember pics of it posted here years ago with a woman in a yellow bikini holding it. The gun was OD in color and had a humungous muzzle brake- go figure....

How could somebody actually fire one of those things?

If I recall correctly the guy who made it says his wife shoots it comfortably.
I'm picturing Arnold after a sexchange right now......
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I never worked at a range, but one time I was at an outdoor pistol range shooting my .40 Sig, and these guys who went to the same university as I showed up and started setting up on the lane next to me.  This one black kid walks up to the line and pulls out his plastic cheap-ass, loaded .380 (maybe Kel Tec), from a concealed holster, and starts shooting my targets.  I didn't have a problem with that, because I had a stack of targets and wasn't going to run out due to him.  Still, the dumbass could've asked if they were mine.

Next, it was his friend's turn.  The line was still hot.  This kid walks up, picks up the pistol while the owner instructs him, and tries to shoot it.  One round goes, and the pistol jams up.  So the pistol owner and this kid fiddle with it for a little bit, get it to lock into battery, and the kid fires.  Pistol misfeeds again.   The range master calls line cold as these two were screwing around with the gun.  The line unloads and locks open all the weapons, steps back.  These two dumbasses are still trying to fix the gun.  Finally the rangemaster calls again, and the gun owner realizes we're waiting on him, puts the pistol down and steps back while pulling the other kid with him.

These kids spend the next 10 minutes of range hot messing with this gun, occasionally getting it to function, most of the time, jamming it and trying to force it into battery.  The range master has to caution them a couple of times on their unsafe conduct.  They must not have heard very well.  I was getting nervous, so I gathered my stuff to move down the range.

Long story short, the last kid to handle the pistol jams it, and tries to clear it and load it again like the owner taught him.  Except this idiot doesn't have a damn clue about range safety, and I look over at his movements and notice that I'm staring down the barrel of a loaded, jammed-up .380 while this kid is trying to force a round into battery, his finger on the trigger and everything.  I mean he is waving this thing everywhere and pounding the back of the slide.  The pistol owner? Whipping his other friend with a towel and having a good time.

Before I had a chance to say something, the range master was across the lanes out of no where.  He quietly and calmly tapped this idiot with the pistol on the shoulder, points to the gun, then to the bench, got him to put the pistol down, and proceeds to tear into the kid for being stupid.  He was louder than the gun reports across the lanes.  The kid's friend, the pistol owner, starts trying to defend the kid who was getting chewed out, and the range master proceeds to rip him a new asshole too.  I would've been laughing if not for the fact that 10 seconds before I was closer than I've ever been to eating a .380.  I almost felt bad for these kids, the range master was the kind of guy you'd never want to piss off.  I think he was an old enlisted Marine, the kind that could beat you to death with a nonstop string of cursing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another story was about a guy who came to the range and began to set up with his pistols.  This is only hearsay on my part, because I didn't witness this, but some regular shooters I would shoot alondside saw this and told the story in an I-shit-you-not tone while shaking their heads.  This guy pulled out his 9mm Beretta, locked, loaded, and hammed cocked, not safed.  I don't know what happened, but he shot himself in the leg, or the foot, or somewhere shortly after he pulled the gun out of his bag.  I guess he packed all his things back up while people were trying to get him to sit and wait for an ambulance, and he hobbled over to his car, put the stuff away, and drove off by himself all while bleeding from a bullet wound.  I think Darwin missed in this case.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I remember the story about the .500 A square pistol. I had forgotten about it though, thanks for reposting.

Same here- thanks! It should also go in Swindle1984's gun shop/show/range characters thread.

He's in there already. He's the little old guy with one arm in a sling toting a .577 Tyrranosaurus trying to sell it to someone equally insane.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
when I was 6 y.o. I shot .22 lr rounds in the house by setting em on the floor and hitting em with an old army helmet.

My 5 year brother did the same thing, but used a flat rock, out in the driveway. Fragments of brass went into his hand. We took him to the hospital, and, under the new law in Massachusetts, which requires that ALL firearm injuries be reported to law enforcement, he became the first firearm injury in the state reported under that new law.

Yes, I know there was no firearm present. We had no guns at the time, so we still don't know how he got the .22 ammo.

My brother in-law when he was a kid did it with a hammer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm checking out my deer rifle and slug gun prior to deer season. A group of guys throw their stuff on the only bench still available.(right next to me)  One guy sits down and put a mauser 30-06 on the bags and opens a box of shells .  He loads the gun and fires one shot... I see him pounding on the bolt handle to open the action.  He loads the gun and fires....I am sprayed with wood chips and other junk from the gun and look at the shooter and he's bleeding from the forehead, face and nose.   I get up and get the range officer.  He comes over and looks and calls for an ambulance.  4 Sheriffs cars and the parmedic unit arrive and treat his injuries.  The sheriff's, the range officers and the victim are behind me talking about what just happened when the other shooter sits down on the bench and starts to load a model 70 featherweight.  I got up, grabbed the box of shells and put it in the hands of the range officer and tell him that these are the shells that blew up the gun. The shooter gets all P.O.'d and cops an attitude.  They tell the shooter that his day on the range is over.  The range officer, apparently also a sheriff,  takes the shells home and finds out these nitwits loaded a 30-06 with 2400 instead of the rifle powder that they thought they were using.   Needless to say,  I packed up and went home....P.S.  neither of the shooters had eye protection or hearing protection.  When I went back to the range after deer season to shoot the NEW rules require ear and eye protection for everyone on the range.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Disconnector

I can't breathe!! AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Same here

Me too!!!!!    
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#27]
So tagged!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Tagitty Tag.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When he gets home he chambers a round from a fresh 30 rnd mag, flips on the safety, and leans his rifle against the front door. Said that he had been carrying it over his shoulder on the sling to get the mail when the al queda guys were watching and that he was planning to get another M4 for every room in the place so that he wasnt too far away from a weapon. Oh, and he was head to toe in camo BDU's. Nice guy, probably safer than sorry.

You shoulda told him they make these cool little things called "pistols". Its like a rifle, that you can take with you all the time! Remind him that if he had 4 loaded rifles in his apt, that would be 3 al quida would get to his one! They could come in and be unarmed leave ready to rock.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I once saw a 5 year old baby in dipers cary/draging a fully loaded AK 1 in the pipe safty off at Calverton  then when i excitedly alerted the moron fucking dipshit father of said BABY with an AK he got pissed at me and wanted to fight me while i had 3 pistols visably holsterd on me and he had none. i was AMAZED! i packed up my shit and left that day wasn't worth it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's in there already. He's the little old guy with one arm in a sling toting a .577 Tyrranosaurus trying to sell it to someone equally insane.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:31:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
One guy, probably in his mid 60's was shooting a few benches away from me. He had a bushy M4gery....I had my Colt M4gery...so we got to talking. He was nice enough, we were shooting at sillouttes at 50 yards from a standing position. I have an aimpoint, he had a AO scope, probably a 3x-9x. So far, normal enough. He offered to let me try his rifle out to see how well the scope was for target acquistion....sure enough, a few shots in I agreed...it was a nice set up. He then goes on to mention that he bought the M4 profile because he needed something light for CQB....you see, he has Al Queda living in his apartment complex. He told me that they have been watching him because they know he is onto them. Then he shows me his range bag, with lots of extra mags (typical) and says that he keeps the bag with him everywhere he goes. When he gets home he chambers a round from a fresh 30 rnd mag, flips on the safety, and leans his rifle against the front door. Said that he had been carrying it over his shoulder on the sling to get the mail when the al queda guys were watching and that he was planning to get another M4 for every room in the place so that he wasnt too far away from a weapon. Oh, and he was head to toe in camo BDU's. Nice guy, probably safer than sorry.

Lets be honest, we all know why we have our black rifles....but I havent exactly caught the terrorists stalking me. Not yet at least. God bless him...when I was leaving for the day I shook his hand, told him it was a pleasure shooting and chatting with him and that I was sure glad he was on our team

All right, fess up, which one of you is this guy? I'm pretty sure I've seen him posting here before.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That was a great story, Disconnector!  All of these are great - keep 'em coming.

I used to rangemaster at a range in WA, but I have no stories like this.

I have seen photographic evidence of someone who built and shot a breech loaded .50 BMG pistol (with a horking muzzle brake), so it's been done, but his doctor told him he had to quit.  If Wild West Discount Guns is still open in Kaneohe HI, they used to have the photo on the counter, so I had to ask the story behind that one.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#34]
bump- I want to hear more!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
". . . fuck that. I'm paying for this bitch."

Excellent - I remember hearing you tell that one before, and it's still funny!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Macro...Is this the Nockamixon range you are talking about? If so I met that guy!! He told me the same story about the terrs in his apartment complex...and was at the bench next to me....He had a Bushmaster M4gery with a brake at it was louder than hell...

He was a fairly big older guy....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Tag for home.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#38]
TAG!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Scary...but funny.

One day many years ago, I was "supervising" a bunch of my young charges at Camp Pendleton for a fine day at the range.  

We were shooting at 100m IIRC.  Lots of M16 rounds heading downrange...think "Heartbreak Ridge" time.  We were busting lots of caps when...

All of a sudden...a Cobra gunship flew ACROSS our HOT range, left to right, just over the butts, at an altitude of maybe...50'.  He was flying nap of the earth...and he and his buds were conducting rocket and gun attacks on some vehicle targets about a mile away.  This hotshot decided to have some fun and circle around...RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!!!  

Scared the CRAP outta me!  I quickly got on the radio and called Long Rifle and bitched to high heaven.    I have NO idea if that helo jock even saw us...but I suspect that he did and was VERY unpleasantly surprised.

Ya know...whenever you go there to shoot...they warn you to not shoot this or that...but helos are never on the list.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Tagged.  I love these threads.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#41]
found some pics of .50 BMG pistols... damn those things are huge..

Nahh... that one's a joke.... lol..
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I used to shoot at a range that no longer exists...a public range that was in the state game lands. A lot of good folks shot up there...but every so often there was a character.

One guy, probably in his mid 60's was shooting a few benches away from me. He had a bushy M4gery....I had my Colt M4gery...so we got to talking. He was nice enough, we were shooting at sillouttes at 50 yards from a standing position. I have an aimpoint, he had a AO scope, probably a 3x-9x. So far, normal enough. He offered to let me try his rifle out to see how well the scope was for target acquistion....sure enough, a few shots in I agreed...it was a nice set up. He then goes on to mention that he bought the M4 profile because he needed something light for CQB....you see, he has Al Queda living in his apartment complex. He told me that they have been watching him because they know he is onto them. Then he shows me his range bag, with lots of extra mags (typical) and says that he keeps the bag with him everywhere he goes. When he gets home he chambers a round from a fresh 30 rnd mag, flips on the safety, and leans his rifle against the front door. Said that he had been carrying it over his shoulder on the sling to get the mail when the al queda guys were watching and that he was planning to get another M4 for every room in the place so that he wasnt too far away from a weapon. Oh, and he was head to toe in camo BDU's. Nice guy, probably safer than sorry.

Lets be honest, we all know why we have our black rifles....but I havent exactly caught the terrorists stalking me. Not yet at least. God bless him...when I was leaving for the day I shook his hand, told him it was a pleasure shooting and chatting with him and that I was sure glad he was on our team

ALL CLEAR!!!!
Green flag to go take down / set up targets.
All weapons cleared, untouched, pointed downrange.
No drama, we all head out to the various targets and do our handy work.
Maybe 15 guys on the firing line.
Now, the far left is the 50 yard range, about 4 benches wide...the far right is the 25 yard range, about 4 benches wide, and there are about 8 benches in the middle for the 100 yard targets.
Most of us were back up to the firing line and there were a couple of guys still at the 25 yard side setting up targets. Two guys walk back to the line from the 100 yard line, sit back at the bench....no one is really paying much attention because we are still clear, hearing protection off, and the guys at the 25 are still stapling up paper....these guys at their bench sure enough take a seat, chamber a round and fire a shot at their target 100 yards away. The guys at the 25 hit the deck....we all start screaming obscenities, waving arms, and just about ready to shoot these assholes.....all our ears are ringing but the adrenaline is coursing through our veins. I walk over with a guy I recognise that is always there. I tell the shooter, (im a calm guy that doesnt like confrontation) we are clear, step away from your weapons and keep your hands off them....when we go hot, pack your shit up and never come back. The shooter starts in with an attitude about how the 25 yard range is nowhere in the line of fire when the guy I am with cuts him off....."listen, we are clear, that means you dont touch your weapon, period. If you touch that rifle before we go hot I am going to shoot you, do you understand?". We all caught our breath, calmed down, declared the range hot....remained standing with our ears and eyes on, arms crossed on our chests and stared at the asshats while they packed up and left. After another few minutes things went back to normal. The guys down at the 25 were shaken but no worse for the wear.

Some people really shouldnt have guns.

I work out at a 300 yard range.  When alone, I carry a loaded pistol and a loaded rifle down range.

I do this to prevent theft and idiots from shooting at me even though the range is private.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Macro...Is this the Nockamixon range you are talking about? If so I met that guy!! He told me the same story about the terrs in his apartment complex...and was at the bench next to me....He had a Bushmaster M4gery with a brake at it was louder than hell...

He was a fairly big older guy....

Good ol' Nockamixon
I miss it

Both of my tales were from there....and there are others, just cant remember all the details from all the trips. I do remember a guy that was decked out in full BDU, boots, cover, everything fresh out of the ARMY/NAVY store. No name on the chest pocket....so I assume they werent issued but rather purchased. He wore them as though he was on base somewhere...panted tightly tucked into his boots, cover pulled down sharp over his eyes, sleeves rolled up over his elbows...shooting what looked like a mock-up of an M24. Alway some interesting guys on the range
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you weren't personally that kid I bet just about everybody here knows somebody of pretty close relation that did so.

In my case it was my older brother,  .22lr and a ball peen.  Lucky for both of us he was and remains a big wuss and couldn't get one to go off.  You'd think the sons of a cop would know better.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you weren't personally that kid I bet just about everybody here knows somebody of pretty close relation that did so.

In my case it was my older brother,  .22lr and a ball peen.  Lucky for both of us he was and remains a big wuss and couldn't get one to go off.  You'd think the sons of a cop would know better.

Don't know anybody who ever did that, but my idiot uncle shot my dad in the ass once with a .22 trying to startle him by shooting a bottle next to him.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I remember reading it last time you posted it. It was funny then, its funny now!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One guy, probably in his mid 60's was shooting a few benches away from me. He had a bushy M4gery....I had my Colt M4gery...so we got to talking. He was nice enough, we were shooting at s sorry.

All right, fess up, which one of you is this guy? I'm pretty sure I've seen him posting here before.

Yea, probably from the Airsoft forum
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Jeez. Funny scary stuff.

Here is mine. Guy walks in and asks for 9mm ammo and a few targets. Shure, here you go. He goes into the range, 10 min later he comes out and says his glock is broken can we fix it?? Shows us a glock with a jammed case in the chamber.

You guessed it. It was a glock 23. 40sw, and he had been single shot firing it for about five min. He was ass chewed, and sold the correct ammo, and then he actually turned out to be a good shot.

Go figure.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top