Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I think this says it all....

http://webpublisher.lexisnexis.com/index.asp?layout=story&gid=790000479&did=43FN-HHJ0-0049-Y0PP-00000-00&cid=1410002341&b=s

Link Posted: 7/10/2001 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:(:
And, a lot of you complain about the "thin blue line" and the "them vs. us" perception when talking about LEO's. Based on the post on AR-15.com who is causing the them vs. us?? I have yet to see a post that starts "why LEO's think civilians are dumb". But there are more than a few posts that start "LEO abuse of....."

Who is responsible for the thems vs us?? is it you?? think about it.
View Quote

Remember the days when the LEO was on foot patrol in your neighborhood?
I don’t.
View Quote

Yes I remember seeing foot patrol, esp. at "special" events or ballgames. LEO's like to live with a little detachemnt from their job so they can "de-compress". If you worked at a factory would you like to live 1/2 a bloack away from it?

Remember when the LEO lived in your neighborhood or nearby town?
I don’t.
View Quote

Everyone lives somewhere, officers may not make it obvious where they live. They want their privacy just like anyone else. Plus they really don't want someone, they "met" at work showing up at their home....

Do you remember having any positive interaction, face to face, with any LEO?
I don’t
I don’t even recall speaking to a LEO that wasn’t in his patrol car.
I only remember the PITA things they did from behind the wheel of their patrol car.
View Quote

Sorry

A great part of the problem is that patrol car and a lack of so called “Community Policing”.
[i] I know there is manpower, resource allocation  problems that vehicles help overcome.[/i]
People tend to see police as outsiders with no vested interested in helping the community.
An occupation force that retires to the suburbs at the end of the day.
He doesn’t have to see the people he watches over until his next shift.
The LEO acts with impunity in a neighborhood that he only sees from behind the wheel.
Looking only to write people tickets and locking them up.
View Quote

Hmm, what about being impartial? Nobody would want to hear someone got a break because they knew the officer either. I won't get into the fact that many officers can't even afford to live in the communities they work in.

Never to worry of a dirty look nor feel the indignation of a neighbor.
His actions would be very different if he knows that he will later see a guy he gave a BS ticket to in the local grocery store.
There would be a lot less Them vs. Us attitude if the LEO were one of us.
View Quote

Well most of the non-LEO's I talk to about work seem very supportive and when I expalin situations that I have observed to them they are amazed that the enforcement action wasn't more signifigant. The other day my neighbor was complaining about speeders to me, it is a common complaint. We are set up so that people can call us, directly, at work. The most common complaint-TRAFFIC OFFENSES

If you think the officers here aren't trying to be "one of us" you are wrong. If you take a look we get smacked for being here. That is what starts the them vs us...
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 3:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]
By WAYNE PARRY
The Associated Press
7/6/01 9:14 PM

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) -- The police officer who was severely beaten with a pipe when he asked two brothers to stop shooting off fireworks died Friday night after relatives made the agonizing decision to remove him from life support.

Patrolman Dominick Infantes, 29, who had been in "extremely critical" condition in the intensive care unit at Jersey City Medical Center since Wednesday night's attack, was pronounced dead at 7:10 p.m. Friday, police said. Machines keeping him alive were disconnected Friday, a hospital official said.

"The family of Officer Dominick Infantes learned that there was no hope for their loved one, that he was unable to breathe on his own, and that blood flow to the brain had stopped," said Bill Dauster, a vice president at the medical center.

"As you can imagine, this was a difficult time for the family and for the staff here at Jersey City Medical Center who worked very hard these past days," he said. "All our prayers go with the Infantes family and their extended police family."

He said Infantes' wife, parents and brother had a prayer meeting at the hospital with the Rev. Kevin Carter, the police department chaplain, before finalizing the decision.

Funeral arrangements had not been made as of Friday evening.

"Officer Infantes gave his life to protect another, which is the ultimate sacrifice anyone can ask of any dedicated police officer," Jersey City Mayor Glenn Cunningham said.

The officer's family agonized over the decision Thursday night and Friday morning, conferring with doctors at the hospital about his prognosis and reviewing the results of several neurological tests administered to measure his brain function.

Friends and colleagues were hoping Infantes would somehow pull through despite his injuries, which authorities described as grievous.

"Officer Infantes was a highly decorated and respected officer who will be sorely missed not only by his comrades but by the community he served," Jersey City Police Director Peter Behrens said.

"Members of the police department are heart broken over the loss of a beloved member of our family," Police Chief Frank Gajewski said. "We will miss Dominick's jovial ways and his talent for bringing a smile to the faces of the people he served."

The two men accused of attacking him, Benjamin Gavina, 42, and his brother, Alfredo, 40, both of Jersey City, were being held on $2 million bail on assault and weapons charges. Both wielded metal pipes with their names engraved on them, police said.

The charges have now been upgraded to homicide by the Hudson County prosecutors office, police said.

The brothers became enraged when Infantes, who was at a friend's party next door, asked them to stop setting off fireworks shortly after 9 p.m. Police said Benjamin Gavina bashed Infantes in the head with a pipe, then kicked him in the head as he was being led away by police officers.

A second police officer, Frank Scarpo, and Infantes' childhood friend, Brian Belka, also were struck with pipes in the melee. Both were treated at the hospital and released.

Neighbors said the Gavinas often blared loud music from their apartment, sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning. Police said they had received several nuisance complaints about the brothers' from neighbors fed up with the noise.

Link Posted: 7/10/2001 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve no idea where to begin, but wanted to offer a female opinion.  I suppose I should start at the beginning, with Heilo’s remark about the officer’s ineptness.  Have you studied some reports about her performance on the job?  In this kind of situation, only one mistake has to be made, and it’s too late.  Suddenly she’s inept?!  Let us merely say instead that she was human.  This woman was killed while doing her job.  As cold and uncaring as it may make me sound,  every LEO knows that death is a risk that comes with the job.  It is tragic and unfortunate when it does occur, but it’s not an unknown factor.  Why does society react so over an incident that can be expected to occur?  

I think it’s a shame that this thread is this woman’s five-minute (or five page) claim to fame.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Well Knockitoff, there is a whole other thread going about her lesbian lover requesting (and beng denied) spousal death benefits.  

Thats better than the other 499 people got that died in the same 1 minutes time frame, isn't it?
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sgt 884:
I think this says it all....

[url]http://webpublisher.lexisnexis.com/index.asp?layout=story&gid=790000479&did=43FN-HHJ0-0049-Y0PP-00000-00&cid=1410002341&b=s[/url]
View Quote

I will tell you that the main problem here in the Tampa Bay area is the LIBERAL JUDGES we have
letting these punks and punkettes off time after
time after time.
Another problem in Florida is the Northern States, especially New York, that incubate these
heathens and then ship them down here to do
their probation.
Yes we have our "homegrown heathens" but we are
flooded with criminals from other states.
Watch what happens when the girlfriend gets to court and the Public Defender starts crying to
the Liberal Judge that her client came from a
disadvantaged home and was mistreated as a child
and isn't responsible for her actions.
We have had 5 murders since the death of Officer Marrero. Judges in Tampa Bay have to stop the merrygoround and start making repeat ooffenders pay for their crimes.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, I am getting pissed off... my champagne funds are low, As I have promised long time ago every time a cop gets shot  I'll go and buy a bottle of  champagne to cellebrate.
View Quote

Fuck you very much.

P3[pyro][-!-!-]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I am getting pissed off... my champagne funds are low, As I have promised long time ago every time a cop gets shot  I'll go and buy a bottle of  champagne to cellebrate.
View Quote

Fuck you very much.

P3[pyro][-!-!-]
View Quote

I'd bet this guy is so mad, he would put down this person he just cursed at, with his service arm, then plant a toy gun, to justify the shooting!
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you, Hielo, for reminding me of something else that I dislike about news items such as this.  They reveal a lot of personal stuff that is none of anyone's business and can only cause additional hurt and emotional distress to grieving family members.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
HANGFIRE, they have no room to put murderers in jail as they are overcrowded with viscious pot smokers who, according to PBS, are being given longer jail terms that murderers and rapists.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top