Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yum...

(I can feel the red on the back of my neck fading again).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Love it
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
My first WestPac deployment and one of my pilots who is half Japanese(his dad a retired Master Chief and met his mom there) introduced me to it several years ago.  On Westpacs I do not eat western food.  Sushi is a fine and healthy diet.  After several months of it you would be amazed how well you feel..  Then you come home and eat american shit and you about die.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I think sushi is pretty good . . . just don't ask me to eat raw fish . . .

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SASHIMI!!!  With lots of wasabi!!111!1

No rice....

to bad most places ie 90+% do not have real wasabi just the horseradish tinted green crap :(
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I love sushi and Japanese foods

cant stand hot spicey food
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#7]
You got to love fugu?

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Mmmmmm, Sushi.  Good stuff, just came back from the sushi go round place myself(dishes of sushi go around on a conveyor belt by your seat and you just pick it up)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:29:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Sushi is great.

Funny thing is, that is can cost a pretty penny when you go out, but is super cheap if you make it yourself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Tuna Tataki....mmmmm good. Also, when in the TampaBay area, try the Tampa Roll.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:09:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I can eat it but I don't think it's all that...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I <3 spicy tuna
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#14]
If I could afford to, I'd eat it five or six times a week.

I have made my own maki rolls, and they are decent but not as good as from a sushi bar.  I can't get the texture of the rice just right, or I use too much.  I need more practice.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I opted for spring rolls for lunch again today.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Who can eat that nasty-ass shit?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Raw fish I'm not keen on, but the nori (seaweed on the outside) is what gets me.  Fucking gagworthy.

And YES, I am aware they make sushi without the nori on the outside, but I can pretty much only eat it if it's tempura fried.

Shame, because I love Japanese cuisine.  Wish I could appreciate all aspects of it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#18]
i have come to really, really like sushi, but it's impossible to fill up on.

i always feel the need for a cheeseburger afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#19]
So is it plain raw fish or do they do something to it before you eat it?  Anyone tried raw bass or blue gill?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I lived and worked in Japan for a while a few years ago.  I LOVE sushi -- both nori and nigiri.  At one grocery store they had like an open deli case of fresh made nori sushi ( sushi rolls ).  The small diameter rolls (usually 1 single filling like tuna or cuke) were 100 yen ( about $1 ) The large diameter rolls had 2 to 3 fillings were 200 yen.  1 or 2 rolls was a nice lunch or dinner.  In that area of Japan they didn't have ( or at least I never saw ) the fancy rolls like they make here.  Damn now I am hungery.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Bait.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So is it plain raw fish or do they do something to it before you eat it?  Anyone tried raw bass or blue gill?

Yes, I have eaten raw largemouth bass...not bad.  Fresh is best.

Most sashimi grade fish has been frozen but you can find some fresh.

I grew up with a Japanese neighbor.  Since she was elderly and I was a child laborer (no "allowance", I worked for all money and did the parent's yard in exchange for use of the equipment).  So she frequently fixed Japanese food...and sashimi was one of the treats.

She didn't do any American-style rolls but plain maki/temaki.  And when it snowed and I shoveled her walk/patio cover, she made these AWESOME rolls and served them with hot green tea!  I turned down NOTHING...including tako!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sushi isn't raw fish.  It isn't seaweed.  It isn't anything but seasoned rice.

correct! i was reading through this entire thread just to make sure someone said this.

SUSHI REFERS TO THE RICE USED.

okthnxbye.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I could eat sushi moring, noon and night for the rest of my life!

I like it alot... but not that damn much...
GET STEAK NOOB

j0hn
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Tried it, didn't like it.

Hell I hated it, I had to wash it down with beer, but I did try it.

If it was the only thing I could eat I would still hate the taste and feel of it in my mouth.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Cucumber Roll or Real California Roll for me
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Before I wouldn't touch it with at ten foot pole, then I tried it, whatdoyaknow, I like it!  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was one of those who said I'd never ever touch it... then we went on our honeymoon, and it was no holds barred on trying new foods. California rolls ain't that damn bad. I do however, still have a moratorium on eating seafood when I'm more than 100 miles from a shoreline, so no sushi for me in IL.

I thought the same thing until I had some of the best sushi I've ever eaten in ABQ, New Mexico and Nevada City, CA.  Nevada City is in the foothills above Sacramento.

Brian

Thats because the fish is cryogenically frozen immediately after being caught, then shipped all over the world. It could be weeks or months before it finally is served.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#29]
One of the greatest foods ever invented!

My .02
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Thats because the fish is cryogenically frozen immediately after being caught, then shipped all over the world. It could be weeks or months before it finally is served.

You can get sashimi quality fish, fresh, if you know the right people.  It may cost you, but it's entirely possible.  I've had fish flown in from Austrailia that I've eaten raw, that was swimming less than 24 hours before.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I have eaten raw largemouth bass...not bad.  Fresh is best.

I wouldn't do that since freshwater fish can contain parasites that can be transmitted to you. Salt water fish may also have parasites but they don't infect very easily, plus most sushi grade fish is flash frozen which will kill off most parasites anyway.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I can put down entire party platters of sushi.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't love all types of Sushi, but by in large, I'm a big fan.

Sorry, but tuna and salmon just taste better raw.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can get sashimi quality fish, fresh, if you know the right people.  It may cost you, but it's entirely possible.  I've had fish flown in from Austrailia that I've eaten raw, that was swimming less than 24 hours before.

Depending on how the fish was handled, that may not be any better since fish can go bad really quick. I'd imagine that fish that they went with the expense of air freighting are probably handled quite well though. Uni (sea urchin) cannot be cyrogenically frozen because it destroys the texture and flavor, so it has to be air freighted.

For the ultimate in freshness, freshly caught fish are cooled down to just above the freezing temp, then stored in a small bath of water while air freighted to their destination. Upon arrival, they are revived, prepared, then served. It doesn't get any fresher than that, unless you are on the fishing boat
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Love it.  I'd go broke if I ate is as much as I'd like to
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was one of those who said I'd never ever touch it... then we went on our honeymoon, and it was no holds barred on trying new foods. California rolls ain't that damn bad. I do however, still have a moratorium on eating seafood when I'm more than 100 miles from a shoreline, so no sushi for me in IL.

I thought the same thing until I had some of the best sushi I've ever eaten in ABQ, New Mexico and Nevada City, CA.  Nevada City is in the foothills above Sacramento.

Brian

Cryogenically frozen or not it was damn good fish.  Don't knock something (most things....) until you try it.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Again, sushi is NOT raw fish nor is it anything but vinegared rice.

Now when the vinegared rice is rolled with nori and other things, it is makizushi and when it is covered with a  small piece of fish or other food, it is nigrizushi.

Languages are funny like that.

If we were speaking Japanese, I'd agree with you.

In common English language parlance, Sushi refers to the rice with fish (some varieties even cooked), and sashimi the fish by itself.  By itself, I have always heard the rice called "Sushi rice."

I assure you, there are plenty more similar cultural , language transgressions that have occurred over the years, and that will occur again.

Just look at those abominations we call "Tacos" in most of the US.

EDITED TO ADD:

FWIW, I am a Nigiri Sushi guy myself, never really dug the rolls.  I'll take some much less expensive Korean Kim Bap if I want to eat a roll of seaweed with rice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it alot... but not that damn much...
GET STEAK NOOB

j0hn

How about a steak tartar sushi?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Love it. I'd eat it more often if it weren't so damn expensive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Unagi, Dragon Rolls, Spider Rolls, mmmmm

+1
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Love it.  I fought the idea of trying it for a long time, but my friends finally got me to try it and now I could eat it all week.  I just wish that it was cheaper around here.

I hear you.  My Yamazato (www.yamazato.net) habit is getting expensive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll eat it on occasion more as a social thing, than as food.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Yummy!

What some people do not realize is that not all sushi is raw. But I like alot of it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

+1 I LOVE SUSHI!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Put me in the "loves sushi" camp. Never get sick of it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now when the vinegared rice is rolled with nori and other things, it is makizushi and when it is covered with a  small piece of fish or other food, it is nigrizushi.

In common English language parlance, Sushi refers to the rice with fish (some varieties even cooked), and sashimi the fish by itself.  By itself, I have always heard the rice called "Sushi rice."

I assure you, there are plenty more similar cultural , language transgressions that have occurred over the years, and that will occur again.

EDITED TO ADD:

FWIW, I am a Nigiri Sushi guy myself, never really dug the rolls.  I'll take some much less expensive Korean Kim Bap if I want to eat a roll of seaweed with rice.

But it's still sushi even if it's made without fish at all.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EDITED TO ADD:

That makes me curious - is Kim Bap considered "sushi" then?  Do the Japanese have such a thing?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

Cryogenically frozen or not it was damn good fish.  Don't knock something (most things....) until you try it.

Brian

Not knocking anything. Just trying to explain why it doesn't matter where a sushi restaurant is, but rather the skill of the sushi chef and their attention to quality. BTW, cryogenically frozen is about as close to fresh out of the water that you can reasonably get.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EDITED TO ADD:

That makes me curious - is Kim Bap considered "sushi" then?  Do the Japanese have such a thing?

Hmm... not sure.  I'll see if I can find out.

I just realised that this could have been misinterpreted.  When I said no fish, I meant that it's still sushi even if it's the vegetarian styles.
The other widely used meaning of sushi that I see is pretty much any type of rolled rice and seaweed with some sort of filling.  Even the stuff I 've seen made with Spam was being called sushi.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#50]
So-so
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top