BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

He's always comes across to me as a normal guy experiencing abnormal circumstances and providing an opinion.  Anybody who takes the interwebz for gospel deserves the Darwin award.  I have always appreciated his opinion and prospective and his posts have caused me to consider a lot of circumstances that I otherwise wouldn't have.

I don't see the need for the same gang to go shit in every one of his threads.

If you posted that all you needed was a hand full of gold to get what you need wtshtf ..would you expect to hear someones opinion as to why that would be a bad choice as your only plan? What about if you advised  your fellow forum members to run to the bank at the 1st sign of problems and pull out 50% of your money? What if you advised them to not buy easily obtained items ,because they will always be there. Would you not expect someone to question your opinion? Or would you just expect people to follow your views and idea's?

your idea that questioning someones opinion is "shitting"  on them is flawed.

It would be similar to you reading a thread where a poster says red is the best color and when 5 posters reply blue is,,you post that they are dog piling the red poster.....because its his post.......
like i said WAY above, arguing what if's and opinion is a lost war on both ends....

Facts are out there, they just take effort to look for. Something that is seriously lacking in many preppers  these days which is ironic since no one wants to be a "sheep"

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The way I look at it, you shouldn't JUST do what ferfal, or ANYONE says.  The survival mindset, when distilled to it's purest form, is being prepared for the broadest range of bad circumstances that your budget will allow.  

SHTF can mean many things, and basic prepping can help you in many of them.  SHTF for me and my family could mean me breaking my back in a car accident and being bedridden for 6 months.  Basic preps, like extra food, valuable non-cash items such as gold/silver, a secondary (paid off) place to live, all can take the financial strain off my family and bring us through to the other side safely.  In a general economic collapse, those same items will serve the same purpose, and along with a few others items such as firearms and ammunition, you are broadening the scope of situations you can handle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just came back from a week in Argentina.  It's kind of a fucked up place.  Anywhere you can expect to see horses on the freeways of major cities is kind of a fucked up place.    

All you need to know about it can be summed up by spending about 10 minutes outside one of the Medico Publico buildings.  It should be required of every United States legislator.

Their middle class standards of living are what we as American's would expect when we are 21-22 years old and venturing out on our own for the first time with little resources.  They got some fine women, though.  

Where and how did you eat? Were their eateries? What was the selection and availability like?  Did you shop for food at grocery stores? What were they like? If so did you cook it yourself in a hotel room etc..?? Where you atayed what were the amenities like? Plumbing., electricity et al.

Sorry to ask so many questions.

It's Argentina not Mogudishu.  

They would have been about equal to Australia in terms of development and standard of living had it not been for a series of idiot egotistical morons having too much power running the country in the past 50 years.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the role of precious metals discussed at all? Were they held as value? How did people fare who held precious metals? Better than others that had none?
I would assume precious metals held value when their currency did not. They would then trae their silver or gold for the currencys current value after the dust settled. Its not rocket science although many make it out to be. Its funny the more educated some folks are the more challenged they become with simplistic thought.

Precious metal has no value if there is no fiat money to buy it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The only person I know from there is from the internet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never understood the Argentina's "end of the world collapse".  Everything I've viewed and read reminds me of NYC in the 70's/80's: bad economy = high crime rate and dilapidated neighborhoods.  Not exactly SHTF like some have played-up the Argentina situation.  Maybe I should get in on the profit with "Surviving NYC's Collapse"

I was in Argentina in the early part of 2001, and left just days before their currency collapsed.  In a matter of weeks their currency devalued by a factor of 4.  The NYC analogy falls flat because of the rate of collapse in Argentina.

I was oblivious to the whole thing.  Hadn't a clue.  But then again, I was in a very isolated region.

This is exactly the reason that the collapse was so notable.  It was nearly instant.  The banking system was not set up to react.  Everything went down in a massive chain reaction.  If it had occurred over a longer period of time, it would not have been so extreme and would have appeared only as a standard latin-american business cycle.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is the role of precious metals discussed at all? Were they held as value? How did people fare who held precious metals? Better than others that had none?
I would assume precious metals held value when their currency did not. They would then trae their silver or gold for the currencys current value after the dust settled. Its not rocket science although many make it out to be. Its funny the more educated some folks are the more challenged they become with simplistic thought.

How did people do business before fiat money?  Of course they have value in the absence of fiat money.  They can be bartered and used just like any other good or service.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]

A LOT of water has to go under the bridge until the situation gets to a point where you can calmly walk down the street with a rifle on your shoulder.
Kiss the wife good bye and walk to the office with your AR across your back, or across your chest, Israeli style, ready to shoot? You won’t get far. Someone will shoot you or throw you in jail, or in a mental institution.

I've been saying this for years. Way too much significance is put on the long arm when things go bad. Folks your not parading around with your AR's, AK's and shotguns, it ain't happening.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:29:35 AM EDT
[#9]

SHTF can mean many things, and basic prepping can help you in many of
them.  SHTF for me and my family could mean me breaking my back in a car
accident and being bedridden for 6 months.  Basic preps, like extra
food, valuable non-cash items such as gold/silver, a secondary (paid
off) place to live, all can take the financial strain off my family and
bring us through to the other side safely.  In a general economic
collapse, those same items will serve the same purpose, and along with a
few others items such as firearms and ammunition, you are broadening
the scope of situations you can handle.

but it aint cool to show off your #10's of food or buckets of rice or to brag that your debt free.

Ive have said it before 100 times that so many people over look the mundane day to day things that will get ya before collapse,zombie, cuban paratrooper with russian advisers....

as to long guns.

There always seems to be an abundance of pictures floating around the web of people guarding their possessions with long arms when a disaster happens.

Now some dolt goes and slaps on his complete multicamed condor gear battle rattle,snags up his carbine and goes walking down the road to patrol his "hood" when the power has only been out for 2 days has bigger issues that need to be addressed by someone with a white lab coat and note pad.

comparing stupid vs using commonsense and using it for a reason why you shouldn't is faulted.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:56:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

In the book, yes precious metals were discussed.  He had a gold necklace and would snip off bits for payment.  Let me get the book.....

Damn, can't find it.  I know I didn't throw it out

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just came back from a week in Argentina.  It's kind of a fucked up place.  Anywhere you can expect to see horses on the freeways of major cities is kind of a fucked up place.    

All you need to know about it can be summed up by spending about 10 minutes outside one of the Medico Publico buildings.  It should be required of every United States legislator.

Their middle class standards of living are what we as American's would expect when we are 21-22 years old and venturing out on our own for the first time with little resources.  They got some fine women, though.  

Where and how did you eat? Were their eateries? What was the selection and availability like?  Did you shop for food at grocery stores? What were they like? If so did you cook it yourself in a hotel room etc..?? Where you atayed what were the amenities like? Plumbing., electricity et al.

Sorry to ask so many questions.

It's Argentina not Mogudishu.  

They would have been about equal to Australia in terms of development and standard of living had it not been for a series of idiot egotistical morons having too much power running the country in the past 50 years.  

QFT.  

And that walk down St. Martin Ave. is fantastic at the end of the working day when everyone emerges from the buildings.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#12]
"Toilet paper, the new world currency for the next 100 years."
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#13]
+1

Quoted:
SHTF can mean many things, and basic prepping can help you in many of them.  SHTF for me and my family could mean me breaking my back in a car accident and being bedridden for 6 months.  Basic preps, like extra food, valuable non-cash items such as gold/silver, a secondary (paid off) place to live, all can take the financial strain off my family and bring us through to the other side safely.  In a general economic collapse, those same items will serve the same purpose, and along with a few others items such as firearms and ammunition, you are broadening the scope of situations you can handle.

but it aint cool to show off your #10's of food or buckets of rice or to brag that your debt free.
Ive have said it before 100 times that so many people over look the mundane day to day things that will get ya before collapse,zombie, cuban paratrooper with russian advisers....

as to long guns.
There always seems to be an abundance of pictures floating around the web of people guarding their possessions with long arms when a disaster happens.

Now some dolt goes and slaps on his complete multicamed condor gear battle rattle,snags up his carbine and goes walking down the road to patrol his "hood" when the power has only been out for 2 days has bigger issues that need to be addressed by someone with a white lab coat and note pad.
comparing stupid vs using commonsense and using it for a reason why you shouldn't is faulted.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted: I would assume precious metals held value when their currency did not. They would then trae their silver or gold for the currencys current value after the dust settled. Its not rocket science although many make it out to be. Its funny the more educated some folks are the more challenged they become with simplistic thought.

If it helps illustrate, my wife bought mi son a silver eagle for him yesterday, 170 Argentine pesos. He’s 8. We explained him that at this rate he would be buying a single piece of candy with 100 pesos soon. And its not the first time this has happened here. I remember paying for sandwiches with 10.000 buck bills (Plan Austral). In fact, I’ll be doing a youtube video soon about something funny regarding hyper inflation. Ah, guess you had to be there.

Quoted:
No offense, but this is class envy/warfare BS.  Lots of "rich folks" have seen hard times.  And just how many "poor" hood rats take the initiative to be self sufficient?  Yeah, not many.  
 [/div]

Completely agree with you. The idea that rich people are useless idiots while poor ones are all masters of survival isn’t exactly accurate. I tend to find more things to learn from people that are actually successful than the other way around. If you managed to make a honest living and succeed financially without screwing others I sure respect that.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would measure anything FerFAL says against reality very closely and judge for myself what he says.

I do not think he is what he says he is.

In all the years I've surfed ARFCOM, this is the first I have ever heard relating to FerFal, his postings, and his experiences.

Perhaps you could expand on why you think this - examples and references would be helpful.   His name carries considerable weight in the survival subforums.

Then you need to pay more attention. Yes there is a large group of sycophants who will swallow everything he has to say because there's no easy way to corroborate his story... But if you do a little digging, his story changes.

Others can fill the story in better than I. I just did a cursory search in my IMs and email and couldn't find the info I have been sent.

Basically: What he says often makes sense... But bear this in mind: he is trying to come off (and profit) as an authority on a subject he may or may not have even been present for.

I simply urge caution with anyone hitching their wagon to the Ferfal train. This subject (survival) is far too important for you or anyone else to become a follower of a guy who is only doing this for the fame. "Because Ferfal said it" is not going to cut it.

So I have to read 10 years of blogs, a book, and search all of ARFCOM for your posts to figure out if the guy has contradicted himself?  

I read his initial "surviving the collapse" blog years ago - but admittedly I haven't kept current on his statements, nor do I have a T-shirt with his name on it.   I'm not a FF Fanboy, but I am surprised to see your comments (and if there were true contradictions, why was it not a bigger deal?)   I am also wondering if you are basing all of this off of your own personal interpretations or on "info" someone else IM'd you?

Are your complaints primarily over the possibility of him being a liar (ie he wasn't there) or do you feel he is giving bad (dangerous) advice?

I am surprised that trolls get outed, verbally abused and banned for practical jokes, faking their own on-line deaths and posting pictures of bikini-babes in GD...  but - as you claim - potential liars selling fake stories and perpetuating dubious information under false pretenses getting a free pass seems odd.

But making such claims, and then telling me to go figure it out for myself because it's too much trouble to repost... seems odd too.     Anyway, I suppose I'm relatively impartial either way:  you're potentially slandering FerFal by providing no proof (much less cliff notes on what to look for); but I also understand that he wouldn't be the first guy on the internet to lie for fame or fortune if what you say is accurate.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your caution.

ETA:  if you decide to respond to me in detail, or to be more specific in your claims, perhaps you could make a stand-alone thread in the SV for discussion?   I'm assuming your previous SV-discussions were embedded in other threads and probably not easily found via the search function?

It is however, a very nice way to throw crap at someone he doesn’t even know without even explaining why. Not that I would care, I don’t know who this guy is.
I’ve been participating in forums for too long and I’m too old to bother with each "gentleman"  that has an ax to grind. If I replied to every nutcase online that has issues I’d never get anything done (been there, wasted enough time, wont do it again) , and I prefer to spend my time doing something productive, like writing something I know people would appreciate.  
If you think I’m full of it, that I lie, that Glocks suck or whatever I wrote that offended you, then call 911 and say “FerFAL is lying on the internet!!! I want him arrested right now!!”
Last time I was in Texas, May 2010, I met with each and every person that was close enough. In fact, I waited with a fellow Arfcomer in Collage Station to meet with other guys. Not one showed up but we had a couple beers and played arcade Buck hunting for a while.
Anyone that thinks I’m a 40 year old living in my moms basement can check with Halffast, I had the pleasure of meeting him face to face, and Hunter223 actually lives here too in Argentina. He’s a moderator here and we talked for a while over the phone. (If you’re reading this man, I have some spare time later this week so we can go grab a bite or something, even better come to TEA this Friday, its getting much better lately. Even found a couple,  “like minded individuals”… )

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then how do you explain thousands of years of gold and silver being used as currency and form of wealth before fiat currency even existed??
The richest people in the world are currently buying entire gold and silver mines, and they are not exactly known for their financial stupidity.

Quoted:

Ah… our most valuable “asset” ...
Meeting with a couple guys visiting Argentina on Tuesday. Listen, anyone heading this way feel free to send me an email, we’ll go get beer, coffee, whatever.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread has my eyes tearing up a bit.  

I just found a Ektachrome slide of a stray German Shepherd that probably saved me from being jumped and robbed by 4 "youths" late one night in El Calafate.  The dog seemed to know them pretty well, and he clearly wasn't their friend.  I ended up tying a rope to him so he wouldn't wander off if I fell asleep.  I regret not trying to figure out a way to take the dog home with me to the States.

Even though I had two ice axes clearly visible on one of my packs, one of the "youths" pulled out a knife when he was about 20 feet away from me.  Enter the dog.  'Nough said.

I miss that dog.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Too bad, sounds like a good dog to have.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Dial 911 lol...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#18]
those crazy  guys from southern idaho kick ass imho[img]

Just when I think there's no hope for you Protus, you turn around and write a genius post like the one above......
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:22:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

those crazy guys from southern idaho kick ass imho[url=http://
]

Just when I think there's no hope for you Protus, you turn around and write a genius post like the one above......

lol

i wish the constant where are you in idaho emails would stop  I mean if you see palm tree's and no snow in Jan....i aint in idaho But it goes to show how one joke lends itself to life its own.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top