Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Sleeping beauty Triliogy, by A. N. Roquelaure (Ann rice).  A real eye opener.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#2]
If you wan't just all out novels, no deeper meaning just good fun reading,

I picked up and started a series recently called the repairman jack series, by F. Paul Wilson.

there are a bunch,
but some of the titles,

Conspiracies,
The Tomb,
All the Rage,
The Haunted Air.

Repairman Jack is one of my favorite contemporary characters to date,

Alot of people on here would like the books, and Jack is just too cool for school.

Black Sunday by Thomas Harris, (of the silence of the lambs, and hannibal fame)
good novel for todays world terrorism et al.

The dark tower series by Stephen King,

What kind of books do you like?

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I will read just about anything. I'm a huge Stephen King fan...But my favorite authors are Tim Sandlin and Chuck Palahniuk (both laugh-out-loud funny). War books are ok, but I have to be in the mood for them.

I went to the bookstore today and picked up "Vietnam: A History" and "Bringing Down the House" (both of which were recommended to me by Arfcom members). I also tried to find a lot of the other books that arfcomers have mentioned (Lucifer's Hammer, Enemies Foreign and Domestic, and Bloodsucking Fiends) but the store didn't carry them. I'll have to go to a different one as soon as I finish the books I picked up today.

Thanks for your help guys!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If you really want a reading "get away" try reading manga.

I would suggest
Nausica Of The Valley Of The Wind
Ranma 1/2
Inuyasha
Five Star Stories
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Go on a quest to read all of Clive Cusslers books.

Pure escapism at it's finest.

You want some culture read Clavel particularly "Shogun".

Tj
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will read just about anything. I'm a huge Stephen King fan...But my favorite authors are Tim Sandlin and Chuck Palahniuk (both laugh-out-loud funny). War books are ok, but I have to be in the mood for them.

Thanks for your help guys!

If you are at all a stephen king fan then def. check out the repairmanjack series, King is the president of the jack fan club, thats how i found out about it.

I do like pahulinak (whatever) but all his books read the same, I haven't gotten around to lullaby but I Still want to read it.

actually come to think of it anything by f. paul wilson you will probably like.

and on that note im going home, good night all.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Get "The Forgotten Soldier"  By Guy Sajer.  Best book you will read guaranteed.  It is about the German Army on the Russian Front.  It is an Autobiography.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#8]

The Most Glorious Fourth
Vicksburg and Gettysburg, July 4, 1863

by Duane Schultz

"Duane Schultz has crafted what is likely to be termed the best Civil War book of the year.—Civil War Times Illustrated

The story of the Independence Day that turned the tide of the Civil War. July 4, 1863, was a glorious day for the Union cause. It saw the surrender of Vicksburg and the retreat of General Lee's Army of Northern Virginia after a crushing defeat at Gettysburg.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm telling you, the Ann Rice sleeping beauty thing, go to amazon.com and read some of it.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Nobody mentioned the Bible?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#11]
CloningBagels,

I really enjoyed "The True History of the Kelly Gang" by Peter Carey.  It is about a family trying to survive in Australia in the 1880s and is written in a first person narrative style.   It is a compelling book and if you like to read, you will probably enjoy this book.  

-Marshall

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Go read the original post.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go read the original post.

Oh, she wanted fiction. my bad.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm telling you, the Ann Rice sleeping beauty thing, go to amazon.com and read some of it.

TXL

That actually sounds pretty good. I'm just sort of stand-offish about Anne Rice. I tried reading "Interview with the Vampire" and "Vittorio the Vampire", but I got bored after a few pages.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#15]
might not be what u want, but worth a look
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

That actually sounds pretty good. I'm just sort of stand-offish about Anne Rice. I tried reading "Interview with the Vampire" and "Vittorio the Vampire", but I got bored after a few pages.

It is nothing like the vampire stuff.  Trust me on this  

TXL
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
might not be what u want, but worth a look
images.amazon.com/images/P/0743225708.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Bought it yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

It is nothing like the vampire stuff.  Trust me on this  

TXL

yeppers.  that anne rice is a kinky lady  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lucifers Hammer

I've never been too into sci-fi books...But, I looked this one up and it sounds like something I would enjoy. I love end-of-the-world movies, but have never read a book with that theme. I'll definitely have to check this out. Thanks.

Do it it's great, and the only real sci-fi in it is the meteor hitting the planet. The rest plays out like a corny action movie.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I second the Monkeywrench Gang by Abbey (or any of his other books) good fun light reading. Even Cowgirls Get The Blues by Robbins should be on your list and any book by Paul Theroux would make for fine fun reading.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top