Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Crosstrek.  Averages 31 MPG, and is a beast in the snow!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Turn in your card along with your balls.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I drive one (forester L.A.V. lessbian assault vehicle), and am generally considered the coolest and manliest guy on arfcom.
View Quote

Aw crap!!
With a user name like you probably are an overweight Hippy, that smells with that oil on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the turbo or sti and you wont get the gay look...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I was considering the same 2 last summer and bought the rav4. screw the haters I'm getting 22.3 mpg in the city
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Out of those three choices, the Subaru is the most manly. Honda and Toyota are wrong wheel drive with a sideways engine. Subaru is AWD with a properly mounted engine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
get the 27 MPG XT version and don't look back(cuz you will be passing everything in sight while on glare ice in a blizzard).
the 2014 forester XT, 2.0 turbo motor(258 HP, same as the 2015 WRX), transmission(flappy paddle same as 2015 WRX), takes regular gas(doesn't require premium), LOTS of space, AND the spare tire well is PERFECT for an M4....
View Quote

It's not really a flappy paddle. It's a CVT with a few pre-set ratios if you want to use them. Feels weird when you do decide to put it in manual mode... kinda like a slipping auto when changing "gears"
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Many might say yes, turn it in, but luckily for you they arent making the payments.....

But what do I know, I drive a brodozer
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#9]
For the Forrester? No. Turn it in for asking if you need to though.

Also check the Mazda CX-5. I believe that's the next closest.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I need the biggest vehicle that gets 30 mpg, the AWD of the Forester gets it done for me.
Just came back from checking it out. I also am considering the Honda CRV and the Toyota RAV4.
I also wanna keep as inexpensive as possible.
What say the hive?
View Quote

I have a 2015 Forester XT Turbo on order.    
It's supposed to be here next month. I noticed that they changed the fuel requirements, premium is no longer required.

Quoted:

Subaru Crosstrek

But the Rav 4 are impressive
View Quote

I test drove a Crosstrek, but WOW was that thing slow.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:31:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:46:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Owned a '10 cr-v. Resounding "meh". Best we ever saw was about 25mpg. The 2.4L 4-cyl is a pig.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Wife drives a 12 cr-v.  30 mpg highway all the time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:19:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was considering the same 2 last summer and bought the rav4. screw the haters I'm getting 22.3 mpg in the city
View Quote

Really thats pretty shitty. Are the RAV 4 full time AWD? If not that is even shittier. We get 29.5 city and 34 highway in the wifes subaru.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:09:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I need the biggest vehicle that gets 30 mpg, the AWD of the Forester gets it done for me.
Just came back from checking it out. I also am considering the Honda CRV and the Toyota RAV4.
What say the hive?
View Quote

Mazda CX-5 2.5.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Love my 13 crosstrek. It does everything a suv or stock truck can do, with better mpg.
View Quote

No,  no it doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Get the Subaru if that's what you want.  I'd also check out the Mazda, they look pretty nice.  We have an 09 CRV, and it's nice too if you want to consider it.

I had a 13 Outback and loved it.  Was like a cat in the snow.  Lots of cargo room and nice features.  I traded it after a year only because I came across a great deal on a 2014 Pathfinder and really missed the ride height of an SUV (Outback was my first ever 'car').  I miss the mpg, though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:40:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I have 77k on an '05 Rav4 with no repairs of any kind needed
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#19]
No, your man card is intact from buying the car.

The problem here is giving a shit what other men think about your purchase, that makes you a weak man.

Stand strong in your decisions, never let another man tell you that you were wrong.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I have 185,000 miles on the forester.

I had the timing belt and water pump changed along with the spark plugs, wires, and ign coil.

had brakes done and new tires.

(This stuff was just done recently... but should have been done sooner).

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Crosstrek, although nice is just too small for me. That would be a sideways move coming from a civic.
Gonna go drive one later this week
View Quote

The cargo capacity on the forester and crosstrek are pretty similar. Obviously the forester has more, but not a huge amount. Most gained capacity will just be stacking stuff up a little higher. They seat the same, etc. And I am pretty confident the crosstrek will keep getting better MPGs than the forester.

My wife got a crosstrek last year and it is a great vehicle. We haven't taken it offroad really, but we did use it in a lot of snow this year. I have zero complaints and it does average between 30 and 33 mpg when we fill up.

If I were picking between a crosstrek and a forester, I would probably get myself the forester and eat the few lost mpg's.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Love my baja
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not to hate on subarus, but a go cart could have done that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've driven about 10k in a 2011 Forester, and it's impressed me quite a bit. I've broken 30 mpg several times, but 25 is the realistic average.

They're more capable than many think. I learned that lesson north of Donner Pass a year or so ago. Keep your speed down, and it's a damn mountain goat.

This test should give you an idea-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBaUCHiJxxs

Go carts are light and have off road tires.

How many passenger vehicle that average well over 20 mpg can do that?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Owned a '10 cr-v. Resounding "meh". Best we ever saw was about 25mpg. The 2.4L 4-cyl is a pig.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

We also had a 12 crv and got 30 all day everyday.  But you won't get 30 on the 4wd models.  We got rid of it for a 13 Explorer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#25]
If you have to ask then turn in the card.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Consider the 7 passenger Toyota Highlander for more seating.  Forrester is a great car
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#27]
We bought a 04 forester xt for my wife a year ago. Been a good car, probably wouldn't have got a turbo if I'd had to do it again. But it's perfect for us I wanted awd with enough room for my gsd and my 1 year old daughter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I personally could care less if a bunch of assholes thought I wasn't manly because I drove a very practical car. I don't drive a forester but I do think there cool cars and there is a chance I may possibly drive one at some point in the future.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:21:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've driven about 10k in a 2011 Forester, and it's impressed me quite a bit. I've broken 30 mpg several times, but 25 is the realistic average.

They're more capable than many think. I learned that lesson north of Donner Pass a year or so ago. Keep your speed down, and it's a damn mountain goat.

you don't get what I'm saying. They're nice vehicles,  they have a lot of usefulness,  but the video isn't exactly showing some magic offroad capability.  It spun it's way up a dirt hill.  Drunk redneck high school kids do that in mommy's Altima every weekend.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

CX-5 is getting a diesel engine, until it does the Forrester > CX-5.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

CX-5 is getting a diesel engine, until it does the Forrester > CX-5.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You're not getting 30mpg.

But it is an awesome car. The XT is pretty neat, and you can get it in a manual.
View Quote
I consistently get 28-31 hand calculated in our 13 outback with 6spd. Low end is city high end is average commute to work.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:37:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I also have one.  2009.  They have a shit-ton of space inside given their size.  I also regularly tow my dirtbikes and jet skis.  It does a very good job of it, but I only get around 20mpg towing the double jet ski trailer.

I've got 181,000 miles.  Only major costs other than scheduled maintenance were a throw-out bearing (manual trans), and an AC compressor/condenser replacement.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I've always gotten 26-27 miles in HWY driving with no real attempts to drive conservatively.

Lately been getting a little worse than that.

(2004 forester 2.5xs, 185k mi)

I do have an issue with the stupid charcoal filter near the gas tank that helps "capture" fumes or whatever.  It's clogged and needs replaced.  But it's like 250 bucks or something.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Lance Armstrong's car.....  you go girl!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I know a couple people that have them. They're not bad vehicles. I almost got one a few years ago.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Mazda CX-5.  I like mine, get over 30 hwy.  24.4 avg because I mostly drive city with a half lead foot.

Fits 2x12s:

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#38]
nice wood.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Eh I like smoking douches in WRXs and STIs with my Z/28 but whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Subarus are awesome.

Wife has a 2011 WRX STi hatch.

I take every chance to drive it.

It's fun to smoke the douches in Camaros and Mustangs.

Eh I like smoking douches in WRXs and STIs with my Z/28 but whatever.

Dream on baby.  Maybe in the 1/4 mile.  but, I don't live my life 1/4 mile at a time.  At Road Atlanta my 08 STI smokes anything less than a 'vet.  I love to watch the Camaro’s fishtailing (while the drivers try to look cool) with the slightest rain on the track.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Lance Armstrong's car..... you go girl!
View Quote

So, what you're saying is Subaru's don't have balls, but they have ball?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a pretty good hill on factory tires....
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#42]
In a perverse example of irony, caring about things like the concept of "man cards"... costs you your man card.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I got 31 combined in my 05 N/A Forester.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're not getting 30mpg.

But it is an awesome car. The XT is pretty neat, and you can get it in a manual.

I got 31 combined in my 05 N/A Forester.

That was a very different Forester from the current model.

I get 25/26 on the highway with nothing on the top. Bikes and rocket box drop that down to around 21/22.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#44]
You'll need a bumper sticker like the one I told my wife I was getting her if she bought one.  Two fingers with a tongue between them.  Wouldn't be bad for a man to have that. sticker but my wife was repulsed when I said it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Get one. Great car.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's not really a flappy paddle. It's a CVT with a few pre-set ratios if you want to use them. Feels weird when you do decide to put it in manual mode... kinda like a slipping auto when changing "gears"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
get the 27 MPG XT version and don't look back(cuz you will be passing everything in sight while on glare ice in a blizzard).
the 2014 forester XT, 2.0 turbo motor(258 HP, same as the 2015 WRX), transmission(flappy paddle same as 2015 WRX), takes regular gas(doesn't require premium), LOTS of space, AND the spare tire well is PERFECT for an M4....

Correct, but "flappy paddle" is WAY shorter to type. And it is technicaly not the same engine as the 2015 WRX, the WRX is going to be limited to premium gas only while the forester can(and does) take 87 octane it just drops the MPG by 2.5 ish.This is done through some sort of computer black magic voodoo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What say the hive?
View Quote

Subarus are GTG bro.

I mean, you already like women, right?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Good to go, love mine it's good for Daddy Day Care....lots of room.

And stores very nicely and discretely items for the bumps in the road.  Like your spare tire, hope you don't need it, but you have one.  "Share the Love"

It's a good choice. Great in the snow and light muck.  The new ones are getting 30mpg hwy.  Watch your oil level every couple thousand miles after 30k.  Subarus like to eat oil...doesn't burn it.....only issue with the boxer motor.  Would by another.......unless you're single and cruising for cooch, don't worry about your man card.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#49]

I can fit half-sheets of plywood and 8' long 2x4's in the back of my Forester.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Good to go, love mine it's good for Daddy Day Care....lots of room.
<a href="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/Houseofmoto/media/imagejpg2_zps8a8858f4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o758/Houseofmoto/imagejpg2_zps8a8858f4.jpg</a>
And stores very nicely and discretely items for the bumps in the road.  Like your spare tire, hope you don't need it, but you have one.  "Share the Love"
<a href="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/Houseofmoto/media/imagejpg1_zpsedaf1aec.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o758/Houseofmoto/imagejpg1_zpsedaf1aec.jpg</a>

It's a good choice. Great in the snow and light muck.  The new ones are getting 30mpg hwy.  Watch your oil level every couple thousand miles after 30k.  Subarus like to eat oil...doesn't burn it.....only issue with the boxer motor.  Would by another.......unless you're single and cruising for cooch, don't worry about your man card.
View Quote

nice
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top