BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A Fudd's sole reason for owning guns is for his hobby of hunting. He believes the lie that the Second Amendment only applies to the militia. He supports the NFA, the GCA, the AWB, and the Brady background checks because you can't hunt with a machingun, and the goverment should have records of who owns guns, and he's too much of a coward to accept responsibilty for his own safety, and would prefer that the government does it for him by keeping guns out of the "wrong" hands.

If hunting was outlawed tomorrow, he'd sell all his guns and buy more fishing gear. He says he's a gun owner like he's on your side, but he'd sell your Second Amendment rights straight down the river just so long as he gets to keep his "duck and deer" guns. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing, and he is just as much of an enemy to your gun rights as any gun-banning politician on either side of the R/D line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's your definition of a fudd, OP?

A Fudd's sole reason for owning guns is for his hobby of hunting. He believes the lie that the Second Amendment only applies to the militia. He supports the NFA, the GCA, the AWB, and the Brady background checks because you can't hunt with a machingun, and the goverment should have records of who owns guns, and he's too much of a coward to accept responsibilty for his own safety, and would prefer that the government does it for him by keeping guns out of the "wrong" hands.

If hunting was outlawed tomorrow, he'd sell all his guns and buy more fishing gear. He says he's a gun owner like he's on your side, but he'd sell your Second Amendment rights straight down the river just so long as he gets to keep his "duck and deer" guns. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing, and he is just as much of an enemy to your gun rights as any gun-banning politician on either side of the R/D line.

I agree with almost all of this except the militia part. You and I ARE the militia! Every citizen is the militia. We should be able to own whatever the fuck we want. The end.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So admittedly, you have never been to a legit gun show have you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the value of a gun show? Sounds like a bunch of tarded shit all the time and nothing you can't get online/at a store anyway unless you like old shit, amirite?

So admittedly, you have never been to a legit gun show have you?

What's legit?

Everyone I've been to over the last 10yrs hasn't been anything special.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/G-82Upwiwi4
View Quote

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't know how to use a chamber flag, you probably have never bought a new gun. They are in every new gun I have ever purchased since 1998.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That is exactly how that Remington 24 I found loaded was zipped up, and yes tcrpe, it was crossroads of the west.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I find hilarious is that some gun shows that require Zip Ties through the action or to keep the trigger held to the rear allow familiar vendors to just loop a Zip Tie around the trigger guard.

Just hanging like a piece of jewelry.

That is exactly how that Remington 24 I found loaded was zipped up, and yes tcrpe, it was crossroads of the west.

Haha, shootings are a regular feature at Crossroads of the West.

"Just part of the show, folks . . . "
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I find hilarious is that some gun shows that require Zip Ties through the action or to keep the trigger held to the rear allow familiar vendors to just loop a Zip Tie around the trigger guard.

Not to point fingers, but didn't Colonel Cooper (bless his soul) have an ND with a rifle at a gun show?

No flame suits. I'm just asking.

It can happen to anyone.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Zip-Tie goes through the open action, keeping the firing mechanism unable to operate.

On a detachable magazine-fed semi-auto it's easy:  Up through the magwell, out of the open ejection port.

A revolver is less easy.  Zip-Tie has to go through the cylinder that will index next, preventing the hammer from being cocked.

A break-action, or a tubular mag gun is not so easy, since theirs' only one hole.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Securing the rifle with a plastic zip tie."

WTF is that?

Something to do with safety so the gun can't be loaded and fired.

Zip-Tie goes through the open action, keeping the firing mechanism unable to operate.

On a detachable magazine-fed semi-auto it's easy:  Up through the magwell, out of the open ejection port.

A revolver is less easy.  Zip-Tie has to go through the cylinder that will index next, preventing the hammer from being cocked.

A break-action, or a tubular mag gun is not so easy, since theirs' only one hole.

Why not open the cylinder and then put a zip tie around the top of the gun so the cylinder can't be closed, and then post a do not touch sign?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not to point fingers, but didn't Colonel Cooper (bless his soul) have an ND with a rifle at a gun show?

It can happen to anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can happen to anyone.

Was it at Crossroads of the West?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He was "securing" the rifle.  
View Quote

And "loaded" at a gun show no less.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you don't know how to use a chamber flag, you probably have never bought a new gun. They are in every new gun I have ever purchased since 1998.
View Quote

The FFL must have removed it or I forgot it was there.

It wasn't in my Shield, Glocks, Colt AR, Remington shotgun, Rugers, Seecamp, none of the S&W revolvers I purchased in droves about 10 years ago.

If there was one in there, I have forgotten.

I do somewhat recall removing a red or blue plug from one of the Glocks but I might be wrong on that.

The FFL's always ask if I want a trigger lock if one isn't included in the transfer of used outstate guns but I never want one.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/2-injured-when-man-accidentally-fires-rifle-at-gun-show-339681182.html

Officials say two men were injured at an Idaho gun show after a vendor from Washington state accidentally fired a rifle.
Ada County Sheriff's officials say a 74-year-old man was securing a rifle with a plastic zip tie Saturday morning when the weapon fired. The bullet reportedly went through a cardboard box, two table covers and a metal cane before striking a man holding the cane as well as a man standing nearby. Both were hit in the leg.
View Quote

rumor has it that he just moved here from Florida
View Quote

This reads like a test for bluefalcon.

Place you bets gentlemen!
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm a little embarrassed that I don't have any idea how to use one of those things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a little embarrassed that I don't have any idea how to use one of those things.

It's easy.

1. Purchase Chamber Flag
2. Pull back bolt, put chamber flag through receiver opening and into barrel, then close bolt
3. ?????
4. Profit

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's easy.

1. Purchase Chamber Flag
2. Pull back bolt, put chamber flag through receiver opening and into barrel, then close bolt
3. ?????
4. Profit

https://westernrifleshooters.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/chamberchecker_general.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy.

1. Purchase Chamber Flag
3. ?????
4. Profit

https://westernrifleshooters.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/chamberchecker_general.jpg

Yes, I get it now.............just was ignorant all these years about those things.

If they were ever in my new guns I must have just tossed them without even really noticing them to any great extent.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can happen to anyone.

I'm not sure where it was (might have been at the NRA Convention, SHOT, or a gun show).

I do remembering it happening before he passed away.

Maybe someone knows more than I do.

ETA: Grammar.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently not.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#18]
If you've ever been to a proper rifle match, they usually require them.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#20]
sue and charge that old fuddy duddy
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
sue and charge that old fuddy duddy
View Quote

Yup.

You should see how many loaded weapons come into the store for sale...   it's crazy.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Step 1) make sure rifle is unloaded.    
"BANG!"
"Check!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"BANG!"
"Check!"

"OK. It's clear now."
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Gun show people...
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Chamber flags are not the same as cable ties.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

"OK. It's clear now."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"BANG!"
"Check!"

"OK. It's clear now."

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says, "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence; then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says, "OK, now what?"
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I agree with almost all of this except the militia part. You and I ARE the militia! Every citizen is the militia. We should be able to own whatever the fuck we want. The end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. The right is retained by THE PEOPLE, not the militia. The Second Amendment is not about the militia.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes, there's a risk of accidents at gun shows that is greater than zero. I still go. Historical reenactments are probably more dangerous. No hobby or sport involving guns is completely risk-free.

As to the utility of gun shows, I would say that, to a serious gun collector, they are indispensible. Condition is all-important for collectible guns. You can't judge condition by looking at offerings online.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Nope. The right is retained by THE PEOPLE, not the militia. The Second Amendment is not about the militia.
View Quote

Properly understood, the militia is the people. The whole idea behind the 2nd Amendment is that the people are to be as well armed as the standing army. By saying that the 2nd Amendment is not about the militia, you can preclude ordinary people from owning the full range of military weapons. That's exactly what Justice Scalia did in the Heller case. He gutted the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

WTF is that?
View Quote

if you don't know what a zip tie is go to a BLM demonstration-riot sometime and hang around too long.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
"...when the gun fired"

No, "...when the asshole fondling the gun fired it because his dumb ass didn't check it's condition"
View Quote

That jumped out at me too.  They don't know what to do other than blame the gun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Properly understood, the militia is the people. The whole idea behind the 2nd Amendment is that the people are to be as well armed as the standing army. By saying that the 2nd Amendment is not about the militia, you can preclude ordinary people from owning the full range of military weapons. That's exactly what Justice Scalia did in the Heller case. He gutted the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope. The right belongs to THE PEOPLE.

If I denounce the militia and refuse to be a part of it, then have I surrendered my Second Amendment rights?

The discussion of what the militia is and who belongs to it is a separate issue from the Second Amendment.  Don't muddy it up like the founders did by inserting that stupid clause.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What's the value of a gun show? Sounds like a bunch of tarded shit all the time and nothing you can't get online/at a store anyway unless you like old shit, amirite?
View Quote

I was at a show where a shotgun was fired into a table with several hundred people around. I don't go to gun shows anymore.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

"BANG!"

"Check!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"BANG!"

"Check!"

I rost.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why vendors have guns lying around loaded - it seems to me that checking their condition when packing them up for the show would a good thing to do.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

WTF is that?
View Quote

Seriously? When did you last go to a gunshow, 1974?
There's a few ways it can be done.

Holding the trigger back, (which I'm guessing is how he was trying to do it)

Through the barrel

They also sometimes ziptie uppers and lowers together
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is that?

Something to do with safety so the gun can't be loaded and fired.

ziptie trigger back to grip.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Four
Simple
Rules
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#37]
How hard is it to clear a weapon. Mine are stored empty and I check the chamber every time I handle them. Article needs to use correct title. Idiot has negligent discharge.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I have been shooting for 50 years and simply have no idea how to use one of those things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have been shooting for 50 years and simply have no idea how to use one of those things.
Open the action.

Insert the skinny end into the chamber.

Close the action, leaving the flag on the end exposed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Almost every old timer I see at a gun show has his booger hook on the bang switch. Pretty sure that's why they had to add the back strap safety to the 1911
View Quote

Agreed. I work in an LGS, many of the old timers seem to have no concept of finger off the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Really folks.....how hard is it?

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_988004001_1.jpg
View Quote

This X 1,000,000
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The internet killed the gun show. I see no reason to go unless I want to A) see where I fit into the gun owner obesity spectrum, B) see what's new in the motorized scooter and baby carriage markets, C) talk to idiot vendors who forget most people have access to the internet and realize their prices suck or D) buy some beef jerky and dreamcatchers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The internet killed the gun show. I see no reason to go unless I want to A) see where I fit into the gun owner obesity spectrum, B) see what's new in the motorized scooter and baby carriage markets, C) talk to idiot vendors who forget most people have access to the internet and realize their prices suck or D) buy some beef jerky and dreamcatchers.

Go wander the tables at Knob Crick and let us know if you still feel the same way.

Some fun-shows are better than others.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said.

Yep, pretty accurately describes my older brother. He's cool with owning his Savage 110 in .30-06 and a 12 gauge 870 with 26" barrel so that he can go hunting. But, he thinks MG's should be completely illegal, mags should be limited to 10 rounds, nobody needs an AR, and background checks should be required for every sale-regardless of who it is. Of course, he's also married to another man and is actively campaigning for Bernie Sanders. And he's not really old, he'll be 46 this month. He's also a retired veteran of 23 years in the U.S. Air Force.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I almost choked

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

WTF is that?
View Quote

Zip tie through the action I'm guessing. Prevents bolt from being closed/round chambered. It works best when the firearm is actually unloaded. Old guy was probably attempting to pull the bolt back and his booger hook hit the bang switch... The rest is history.... And unfortunately will be used to paint gun owners in a negative light.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#47]
"Gun Show Obesity Spectrum"

Priceless
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I haven't been to a gun show because I have no need for anything and mostly target shoot for enjoyment. In other words I don't collect or hunt so limited need for information.

But I go to other types of shows and typically you're right — worst place on Earth to buy things. Unless you have a true sense of the items worth and like haggling. Most of the semi-professionals that sell at the other shows I go to have such unrealistic expectations on pricing. Usually because they collected items with passion and sunk entirely too much money into restoring the item.

With that said, shows are typically good for networking with like minded hobbyists. Judging from my experiences on this forum however, gun enthusiasts lean towards being socially challenged.....  <partial grin>

The other shows I go to are good for buying small consumables. Like one guy who displays at multiple show types including gun shows sells hundreds of different rotary tool bits for very reasonable prices.

And I understand that gun shows specifically are good places to buy ammo so you don't get raped from shipping fees.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Obviously, the best way to zip tie a weapon to make sure it can't be fired is to secure the trigger in the rearward position against the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Nevermind.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top