Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I just watched a Blue Bloods episode with the Bullit Mustang as central to the story.
He was probably the best of all time. Paul Newman was close.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Steve McQueen was "cool" personified.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No doubt.

But remember the stories about Paul Newman dropping monster supercharged V8s in Volvo wagons, for major shits and giggles, and SMOKING all kinds of "sports car" jerkoffs at lights in CT?

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/littleredman888/volvo20converse20paul20newman20in20hud_zpsynbwebfd.jpg

View Quote

McQueen and Newman are the two I think of.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Not one actor nowadays???  How about Harvey Keitel?  Another Marine (served in Lebanon), tough guy straight outta Brooklyn, rebellious, nonconformist.  Or is he a peer of McQueen and Marvin?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I liked Steve McQueen the actor, but I like Harvey Mushman the motorcycle racer better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On any Sunday

I liked Steve McQueen the actor, but I like Harvey Mushman the motorcycle racer better.

I've used the name Harvey Mushman quite a bit at restaurants.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On any Sunday

Who?

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

WHAT?!?!?!  

That sounds AWESOME!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What happened to that thread about Predator being made in 1960 staring Steve McQueen with BARs etc?
WHAT?!?!?!  

That sounds AWESOME!

OMG!!!!  Predator Beach????

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On any Sunday
View Quote

FTW! Raced under a phony name cuz the studio wouldn't let him!
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I read once that while McQueen was in the service, he copped some kind of "punishment detail" cleaning asbestos out of the inside of a ship with no respirator, because in those days no one understood the danger.

It said that the clouds of asbestos dust floating in the air were so thick it was hard to see.

It said that's where he got his lung disease (and I'm sure smoking didn't help).
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tom Cruise? Really?

Gay nutjob isn't fit to carry McQueen's jock. Though I'm sure he would gladly do it.

And to the OP's question, no.
View Quote

Wow.

Your argument is horrible.

Tom Cruise does almost all of his own stunts. He know his guns. And he has banged a bunch of hot chicks.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Wasn't the lady who played "Helen Krump" from Andy Grittith show play his girlfriend in The Blob??

Don't forget his last movies,The Bounty Hunter and Tom Horn.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow.

Tom Cruise does almost all of his own stunts. He know his guns. And he has banged a bunch of hot chicks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tom Cruise? Really?

Gay nutjob isn't fit to carry McQueen's jock. Though I'm sure he would gladly do it.

Wow.

And he's into Scientology which knocks him way down the ladder
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Who?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On any Sunday

Who?

Yea have to spell the last name a lot
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Back when men were men.
Only the best car chase in movie history.

The engine sounds alone should have made best music sound tract.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Just finished watching Bullitt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody que up the San Francisco car chase scene from Bullitt!!

Just finished watching Bullitt.
I watched it for the first time last night. How weird timing this thread has.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Steve McQueen was "cool" personified.
View Quote

His official title is "King of Cool".  Dean Martin is a pretender to the throne.

Today, MHO is that Brad Pitt is the closest thing around, and he's not even very close.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Bruce Willis = today's equivalent to McQueen???
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I just watched a Blue Bloods episode with the Bullit Mustang as central to the story.

He was probably the best of all time. Paul Newman was close.
View Quote

That episode prompted me to re-watch the movie.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#22]
With Carroll Shelby . . .

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31JgMAHVeg0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk9SZbrh_Tg

Back when men were men.

View Quote

I can watch this chase and dig it every time.
You'll notice the same Pontiac appearing in several parts of the chase...
And this is the source of the 'cool' quote: "take it slow".
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That's one skinny, biased-ply tired car.  Wire wheels and all.

Must be very early version.

As far as the movie goes, and with al due respects to McQueen, not is all as it appears; From Wicki: "McQueen, an accomplished driver, drove in the close-up scenes, while stunt coordinator Carey Loftin, stuntman and motorcycle racer Bud Ekins, and McQueen's usual stunt driver, Loren Janes, drove for the high-speed part of the chase and performed other dangerous stunts.[18] Ekins, who doubled for McQueen in the The Great Escape sequence where McQueen's character jumps over a barbed wire fence on a motorcycle, lays one down in front of a skidding truck during the Bullitt chase. The Mustang’s interior rear view mirror goes up and down depending on who is driving: when the mirror is up, McQueen is visible behind the wheel, when it is down, a stunt man is driving.

The black Dodge Charger was driven by veteran stunt driver Bill Hickman, who played one of the hitmen and helped with the chase scene choreography. The other hitman was played by Paul Genge, who had ridden a Dodge off the road to his death in an episode of Perry Mason ("The Case of the Sausalito Sunrise") two years earlier. In a magazine article many years later, one of the drivers involved in the chase sequence remarked that the stock Dodge 440s were so much faster than the Mustang that the drivers had to keep backing off the accelerator to prevent the Dodge from easily pulling away from the Mustang.[19]

One of the two Mustangs was scrapped after filming because of damage and liability concerns, while the other was sold to an employee of Warner Brothers.[20] The car changed hands several times, with McQueen at one point making an unsuccessful attempt to buy it in late 1977. The current state and location of the surviving Mustang is largely unknown, but it is rumored that the Mustang is kept in a barn somewhere in the Ohio River Valley by an unknown owner."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's one skinny, biased-ply tired car.  Wire wheels and all.

Must be very early version.

As far as the movie goes, and with al due respects to McQueen, not is all as it appears; From Wicki: "McQueen, an accomplished driver, drove in the close-up scenes, while stunt coordinator Carey Loftin, stuntman and motorcycle racer Bud Ekins, and McQueen's usual stunt driver, Loren Janes, drove for the high-speed part of the chase and performed other dangerous stunts.[18] Ekins, who doubled for McQueen in the The Great Escape sequence where McQueen's character jumps over a barbed wire fence on a motorcycle, lays one down in front of a skidding truck during the Bullitt chase. The Mustang’s interior rear view mirror goes up and down depending on who is driving: when the mirror is up, McQueen is visible behind the wheel, when it is down, a stunt man is driving.

The black Dodge Charger was driven by veteran stunt driver Bill Hickman, who played one of the hitmen and helped with the chase scene choreography. The other hitman was played by Paul Genge, who had ridden a Dodge off the road to his death in an episode of Perry Mason ("The Case of the Sausalito Sunrise") two years earlier. In a magazine article many years later, one of the drivers involved in the chase sequence remarked that the stock Dodge 440s were so much faster than the Mustang that the drivers had to keep backing off the accelerator to prevent the Dodge from easily pulling away from the Mustang.[19]

One of the two Mustangs was scrapped after filming because of damage and liability concerns, while the other was sold to an employee of Warner Brothers.[20] The car changed hands several times, with McQueen at one point making an unsuccessful attempt to buy it in late 1977. The current state and location of the surviving Mustang is largely unknown, but it is rumored that the Mustang is kept in a barn somewhere in the Ohio River Valley by an unknown owner."

Bill Hickman played a bad guy driving in another chase scene, "The Seven-UP'S with Roy Scheider chasing him. If you listen closely I think they used the "Bullit" chase scene soundtrack for chase scene.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:29:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:50:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tom Cruise? Really?

Wow.

There will never be another Steve McQueen, that's for sure. I liked him best in "Bullitt" and "The Get-away."

I am not a real big fan of Tom Cruise, but he clung to the side of an airplane with nothing but his bare hands in "Mission Impossible; Rouge Nation." That scene was pretty bad ass and I don't know of ANY other actor who would be willing to do that.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like he used a Colt Detective in "Bullitt."

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:57:35 AM EDT
[#29]
The tao of steve

Odd movie where some guys worship steve mcqueen.

He is one of the few folks who can say they loved what they did for a living.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:01:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There will never be another Steve McQueen, that's for sure. I liked him best in "Bullitt" and "The Get-away."

I am not a real big fan of Tom Cruise, but he clung to the side of an airplane with nothing but his bare hands in "Mission Impossible; Rouge Nation." That scene was pretty bad ass and I don't know of ANY other actor who would be willing to do that.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/550ee12deab8eac47d3e1b11-1200-546/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-rogue-nation.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tom Cruise? Really?

Wow.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/550ee12deab8eac47d3e1b11-1200-546/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-rogue-nation.png

My understanding is he was tied to the plane. Are you saying that's not the case?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:08:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Towering Inferno too.

Names had to be the same position.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't remember where I heard/read it---may have been a documentary---but IIRC, he turned down starring with Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid", because the billing would have had Paul Newman's name over his. . .

If true, (and if that was really the only reason), that's sorta of an insecure thing---sounds like a 12 year old girl. . .

Now, now, don't get me wrong, I love all of his movies and the characters he played, though, come to think of it, they were all kind of the same character. . .but from what I've heard he was a bit insecure/sensitive about his stardom. . . . . .Maybe that comes with that territory. .

Towering Inferno too.

Names had to be the same position.

Yeah he micromanaged everything about his appearance and character in every movie too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:10:23 AM EDT
[#33]
My understanding is he was tied to the plane. Are you saying that's not the case?
View Quote

I just did a quick google search. Turns out he did have a back-up safety harness under his suit coat tethered to the plane "just in case."  Although it reduced the risk somewhat it was still a dangerous stunt.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:17:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Here is another

http://i67.tinypic.com/11h9rfp.jpg

View Quote

He was a badass. I think he got shot in the ass and the foot on Saipan and lay on the battlefield for hours till they could get to him. His Girlfriend/wife? said in an interview after he died that he suffered nightmares from the incident for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:18:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Papillion was his best movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070511/

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#36]
8th award Private

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:29:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Papillion was his best movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070511/

View Quote

Thank you.

He was the Alpha in the room.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:20:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tom Cruise? Really?

Wow.

He had a safety line, but he still did it. 8 times.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:40:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, this fucking moron is the new Steve McQueen...  

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:56:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTKxtMGcvAY
View Quote
Mo, more the fucking hot bitches, flying airplanes, driving nice cars and doing shit people would trade thier left nut to do.

You sound hella jealous.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:12:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Mo, more the fucking hot bitches, flying airplanes, driving nice cars and doing shit people would trade thier left nut to do.    

You sound hella jealous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTKxtMGcvAY

You sound hella jealous.

You are a scientologist, yes?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#42]
FPNI.

And who the fuck said Tom shit the bed Cruise?  Jumping up and down on national TV screaming "I"M IN LOVE IM IN LOVE"  Tom-tom.  Yup, some Rick James shit right there.

Steve McQueen was the real deal straight out of the Boys Republic in Chino.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Tom Cruise is about the closest we got.

Yeah, he is nuts and has a weird religion but. Gearhead, pilot, thrillseeker and generally pretty fucking crazy.

And he banged (and married) Nichole Kidman and Katie Holmes so there is that.
View Quote

I agree. That nutty scientologist has led a hell of a life.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Back when men were men.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Back when men were men.

The iconic engine sound of the "Bullitt" mustang was not from a mustang at all.  It was recorded engine sounds from a Ford GT40.  Still badass though.

The sounds emitted by the Mustang suggest a lot of double-clutching -- something that would not have been needed with a '68 Ford transmission. McQueen confirmed that the sweet racket of the car's engine and transmission were overdubbed recordings of a Ford GT40 driven at full tilt.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/mustang-bullitt.htm
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:34:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#49]

Any history behind that pic?  Specifically the gun and belt?  That appears to be a "mare's leg" lever gun, which to my knowledge was in a pistol caliber, yet the cartridges in the belt look like 45-70 rounds.  Does not compute.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Any history behind that pic?  Specifically the gun and belt?  That appears to be a "mare's leg" lever gun, which to my knowledge was in a pistol caliber, yet the cartridges in the belt look like 45-70 rounds.  Does not compute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Second only to the 44-40 caliber Mare's Leg's ability to chamber the massive 45-70 round, was McQueen's uncanny ability to "fan fire"   the lever action weapon.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top