Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, looks like I am going to have to leave this forum and find a new home...

Last night I found out I was destined to die because I use a shotgun for HD. Now my step side Chevy is getting no love.....

I bought a Chevy step side new in 1994 because I liked the looks of the step side. Like Paul said, I seldom haul anything, so the loss of space was no big deal.

Now if some mother fucker comes on and posts a thread slandering Basett Hounds, then I will have to leave. Apparently I have been living my life all wrong...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Had mine for over 20 years now, and for the very few times I've needed larger  bed space, I attached my trailer.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Funny, I love the way they look.

1970s Dodge step side short bed 4x4 w/225 slant six, please.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never understood those and they look like shit.

A buddy of mine had an ex forest service truck. It was a 67 short stepside 3/4 ton Dodge. He managed to get 38 x 12.50s on it with no lift.  Had to cut out and reweld the front half of the front wheel well a couple of inches forward.  Amazing off road performance and no crazy drive line angles.  I'd love to find or recreate that truck.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I call those trucks stupid sides they suck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Stood next to a new pickup truck lately?  I was astounded at how high the sides are now, maybe I am shrinking though.  This was on a 2wd crew cab ford 2014 model I rented.

Use the truck how you want to use it.  I personally hate getting all the gravel out from around the wheel wells if I haul some gravel.

I am planning to mount an ammo can behind the rear wheel well in the shortbed ford I own, if it was a stepside something like the jeep pictured would work.

I dislike people taking an old truck and putting the late model chevy stepside on it, curvy stepside does not work well with boxy chevy.

I would not mind owning one but they tend to bring a premium.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]

FIFY

Love that look on the old school trucks, not so much the newer ones.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Stepsides are cool.  Plenty of room on the steps for toolboxes and such.  Good way to keep things organized and still have room in the bed.

<a href="http://s59.photobucket.com/user/localfiend/media/J200%203-4%20Ton%20Gladiator/20140909_150624_zpshn5lfli1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g295/localfiend/J200%203-4%20Ton%20Gladiator/20140909_150624_zpshn5lfli1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s59.photobucket.com/user/localfiend/media/J200%203-4%20Ton%20Gladiator/20140902_134959_zps3nc2anvs.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g295/localfiend/J200%203-4%20Ton%20Gladiator/20140902_134959_zps3nc2anvs.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is a nice old Jeep pickup, is it yours?  That style of box was originally used on the Willys Jeep Pickups starting in the late 1940's.  Willys and then Kaiser got a lot of use out of that style pickup box.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Ram has taken stepside to a new meaning with the Ram Box on some of their pickups.  It is well liked and they are selling more and more with that option.  Essentially there is the same amount of room as a stepside box, but there is a lot of lockable storage in the boxes on the side.  1/2 ton pickups are more and more highway cruisers so bed capacity isn't wanted by a lot of people, and that explains the little 5 foot boxes on the crewcab pickups.  I had to buy a 3/4 ton to get the crewcab with a 6 1/2 foot box.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Stepsides on the classic trucks look cool... with the tail lights that stick out, easy to get whacked.    When they started integrating the lights into the bed corners... then it started looking retarded.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Older ones are okay , New ones are why bother . Disclosure . I own an 8 foot super cab  F250 . I do truck things , yes it is long . It is a truck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Weren't the old step sides made to put campers in?

I could be wrong but seem to remember being told that is what they were originally for?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No more useless that the 5 foot beds on the majority of the trucks today. Blows me away seeing a mega cab Dodge / Ram with a micro bed on it. Crew Max Tundra with a 5 foot bed when you can get the regular short crew cab with an 8 foot bed just doesn't make sense. While at the Houston Supercross a few years back(where people who own and haul dirt bikes in their trucks go...) I asked my Toyota marketing rep buddy why the hell they can't at least put a standard 6 1/2 foot bed on the Crew Max and he tells me that no one wants it. I told him Toyota was just damn stupid.  Later that evening they had the Toyota Tuff Block challenge where fans get to race to fill the bed of a Tundra with the foam haybales. Funny shit when they went to shut the gate and the damn thing fell off. Laughed my ass off and snapped a couple pics.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/duc-man97/tailgate2.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/duc-man97/tailgate3.jpg
View Quote

First, some people actually (get this) need more room in the cab than they need in the bed.
If I need to haul something longer than 5', I put the tailgate down and secure my load with straps, not a hard concept.

And as far as the tailgate "falling off" the tundra tailgate is attached the same way as any other truck tailgate made today. Of course if you try to smash a hay bale with it and are pushing up on a lifted truck it will come unhinged.

Do you even physics bro?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There...fixed it for you...owner of a 78 Power Wagon 4x4 Crew Cab STEPSIDE...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never understood those but they are the shit.

There...fixed it for you...owner of a 78 Power Wagon 4x4 Crew Cab STEPSIDE...

Pics?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Weren't the old step sides made to put campers in?

I could be wrong but seem to remember being told that is what they were originally for?

http://www.truckcamperforum.com/uploads/post-4545-1278917037.jpg
View Quote

Pickups with stepside beds have been around way longer than slide-in campers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No more useless that the 5 foot beds on the majority of the trucks today. Blows me away seeing a mega cab Dodge / Ram with a micro bed on it. Crew Max Tundra with a 5 foot bed when you can get the regular short crew cab with an 8 foot bed just doesn't make sense. While at the Houston Supercross a few years back(where people who own and haul dirt bikes in their trucks go...) I asked my Toyota marketing rep buddy why the hell they can't at least put a standard 6 1/2 foot bed on the Crew Max and he tells me that no one wants it. I told him Toyota was just damn stupid.  Later that evening they had the Toyota Tuff Block challenge where fans get to race to fill the bed of a Tundra with the foam haybales. Funny shit when they went to shut the gate and the damn thing fell off. Laughed my ass off and snapped a couple pics.

View Quote

I have a 2500 Crew Cab short bed.  Makes perfect sense to me.  When I am doing something that requires totally filling that bed, it usually means I need more space than even an 8 foot bed would offer.  That's why I have a 5x8 single axle trailer and a 6x18 dual axle trailer for whatever the task needs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#18]
'Murica

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Depends.  Having no wheel wells in the bed can be an advantage.  Having a larger overall bed despite the wheel wells taking up some of the room can also be an advantage.  If the biggest/heaviest thing you ever haul in the truck is your ass to the local mall, it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

First, some people actually (get this) need more room in the cab than they need in the bed.
If I need to haul something longer than 5', I put the tailgate down and secure my load with straps, not a hard concept.

And as far as the tailgate "falling off" the tundra tailgate is attached the same way as any other truck tailgate made today. Of course if you try to smash a hay bale with it and are pushing up on a lifted truck it will come unhinged.

Do you even physics bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even physics bro?

Don't need physics to figure out that you can't load a couple dirt bikes, gear, tools and fuel jugs in the back of the most expensive truck Toyota makes without having to tie everything down  or hassle with some afterthought of a bed extender. My crew cab F250 short bed can get 90% of dirt bikes loaded straight in and still close the tailgate. The 6 3/4 foot Ford is almost perfect, 6 1/2 is workable. Not being an option drops me out as a buyer. With my 2001 F250 about to roll over 200,000 miles in the next week or so, I've been considering a new truck and really like the new Tundra.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#21]

LOL at that Tundra.  I've never seen one of those beds on one.  I hope it came with a good discount.

And stepsides are fucking stupid on modern trucks.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#22]
The old Chevy-GMC step side on a short bed sure looked nice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#23]

This fits because it has the same type of styling in the front
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Might as well post up Big John's Merc.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I love old stepsides

I even like the F150 stepsides of the current generation. The yellow ones just look so dang cool!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Always thought these looked good!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#29]
This is what mine looks like, except in red.  A few inches of lift, and 33" tires.
I think it's pretty sharp.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Had mine for over 20 years now, and for the very few times I've needed larger  bed space, I attached my trailer.

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af295/BRL10/043.jpg
View Quote

Anything good under the hood? Looks like it needs wheel tubs and a blower.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Naw, just a normally aspirated .030" over 350 CI with TRW forged flattops and a few other aftermarket goodies.

...thing drinks enough gas as it is.

More than enough horsepower to haul around my toys...and a few "just in case" tools too.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The ones that never leave the asphalt, I call those soccer mom trucks.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
About 87% of pick up truck owners don't put anything bigger than their ass in their trucks.

I occasionally haul the trash with it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a fleet side guy myself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=62264

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
About 87% of pick up truck owners don't put anything bigger than their ass in their trucks.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=62264

I LOVE this. Absolutely perfect.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#37]

That Dodge Power Wagon is the only real truck in this whole thread.  

Seriously, it does illustrate why step sides were the only pickup (express) box for many years: because truck cabs were narrower.  Until the 1950s, cabs did not really fill out the envelope of the track width, so a full width box would not have made sense.  The traditional step side persisted for a long time after cabs were widened out and enclosed the running boards because it was cheaper to manufacture, and the design and tooling was paid for.  For example, the rear fenders on the Dodge step side boxes were basically unchanged from 1953 until the end of the old stepside box in...1985.  That's 33 model years of unchanged design, which is some sort of miracle in Detroit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Seriously, it does illustrate why step sides were the only pickup (express) box for many years: because truck cabs were narrower.  Until the 1950s, cabs did not really fill out the envelope of the track width, so a full width box would not have made sense.  The traditional step side persisted for a long time after cabs were widened out and enclosed the running boards because it was cheaper to manufacture, and the design and tooling was paid for.  For example, the rear fenders on the Dodge step side boxes were basically unchanged from 1953 until the end of the old stepside box in...1985.  That's 33 model years of unchanged design, which is some sort of miracle in Detroit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The LA MoPar engine lasted for nearly 40 years.  The flathead MoPar 6 was still being produced 43 years after introduction.  Design it right the first time and it will stand the test of time.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Old design for a different erra.
View Quote

One where farmers often used to haul livestock and needed a straight walled bed and ranch hands and dirty workers could easily hop on the step, cling to the cab, and catch a quick ride across the field or farm. I'm pretty sure the military used to use them that way as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Only pick up I've owned was a 62 Chevy step side.
Had a long bed though.
Traded it in on an 83 CJ5  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm a fleet side guy myself.
View Quote

Me too, step-sides look good pre-67.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The LA MoPar engine lasted for nearly 40 years.  The flathead MoPar 6 was still being produced 43 years after introduction.  Design it right the first time and it will stand the test of time.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, although both engines had a few improvements and changes made along the way.  

If you're a fan of Mopar engines, you might find this book by Willem Weertman, who was Chief Engineer - Engine Design and Development, to be of interest: Chrysler Engines: 1922 - 1998
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

A buddy of mine had an ex forest service truck. It was a 67 short stepside 3/4 ton Dodge. He managed to get 38 x 12.50s on it with no lift.  Had to cut out and reweld the front half of the front wheel well a couple of inches forward.  Amazing off road performance and no crazy drive line angles.  I'd love to find or recreate that truck.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never understood those and they look like shit.

Mine wasn't a stepside, but I had a 78 Dodge W200 that was a former Coast Guard truck and was awesome off road.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Well,  when the bed rails are that far toward the centerline of the truck, you pretty much need the step to get up so you can reach in there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#45]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Hate the Tundra step sides like the one that was posted earlier....Liked how my Tacoma looked mainly because it still used the regular tail lights

And the 65 GMC
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

They sell plenty of "Mega cab" short bed trucks.

Why? Because it's the sweet spot....jack of all trades, master of none. I don't want to own a mini-van....I don't want to own a SUV....but I want my truck to carry an entire family inside of it - with lots of roomy space for long distance traveling. It's comfortable, it's safe, and it's four wheel drive. I can't carry a load of plywood or giant stack of hay bales? Okay great, I have a ball hitch and a trailer. Why do I need an eight foot bed again?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Some people like the styling.  But they never appealed to me.

I'm not pitching hay out of the bed so there's no utility for me, just styling.  And a larger bed is more useful for me.

There ought to be more regular beds with inset steps, though, as a best-of-both-worlds design.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't think there were any fleet sides yet when I was a kid. My dad used to by signal lights and mount them on top of the fenders.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

That Tundra was the ugliest fucking truck ever made by anybody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That Tundra was the ugliest fucking truck ever made by anybody.

It has an ass like a PT Cruiser.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top