User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I once "hunted" baby birds using a salad fork taped to the end of a broom handle. A "bird gig", if you will...

I was living in post housing at Ft. Riley, KS and these damned sparrows were nesting under the eaves of my place and $h!tting all over my patio & BBQ grill.

I could see the baby birds sticking their heads out from the nests(about 4 or 5 different nests). It took me all of 15 seconds to realize that I had the items at hand to fashion a very efficient weapon for the job at hand. I took an old salad fork and used some 100-mph tape to attach it to the end of a broomstick that I had.

I was "hunting" 5 minutes later...a baby bird would stick it's head out of it's nest and "WHAP!", I'd gig it through the noggin and drop it into a bucket that I had sitting just outside the patio door. When I'd get 3 or 4 birds in the bucket, I'd take them inside & give them a "burial at sea" by flushing them down the toilet. It didn't take too long to take care of the problem...heh heh heh...[headbang]
View Quote

That's nasty.

And it certainly doesn't adhere to the rules of fair chase.....
real proud are you?????
View Quote

I gotta agree with Only_Hits on this one....
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in a "motel" in the middle of Nevada, and ended up hunting rats with my Ka-Bar.  I didn't catch any, as there were too many small holes for them to escape.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I once "hunted" baby birds using a salad fork taped to the end of a broom handle. A "bird gig", if you will...

I was living in post housing at Ft. Riley, KS and these damned sparrows were nesting under the eaves of my place and $h!tting all over my patio & BBQ grill.

I could see the baby birds sticking their heads out from the nests(about 4 or 5 different nests). It took me all of 15 seconds to realize that I had the items at hand to fashion a very efficient weapon for the job at hand. I took an old salad fork and used some 100-mph tape to attach it to the end of a broomstick that I had.

I was "hunting" 5 minutes later...a baby bird would stick it's head out of it's nest and "WHAP!", I'd gig it through the noggin and drop it into a bucket that I had sitting just outside the patio door. When I'd get 3 or 4 birds in the bucket, I'd take them inside & give them a "burial at sea" by flushing them down the toilet. It didn't take too long to take care of the problem...heh heh heh...[headbang]
View Quote

That's nasty.

real proud are you?????
View Quote

View Quote

What's NASTY is when one of the damned things SHITS on the ribeye steak I'm grilling for dinner...

I did what I had to do to solve the problem. I don't give a shit whether or not you approve of the method.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
It's no different than giggin frogs is it?

He was just trying to remove pest in an expedeant manner. Animal pest can cause a lot of damage if not killed of when needed.
You guys hear about the girl scouts in Fairbanks?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
hunting hawgs with a .22 in about a month

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Grizzly with a long bow, also a recurve, M1, M14, and winchester 92 in 44-40

same weapons for deer, but also a 30-30 winchester 94

also for elk, black bear, Cougar, Lynx, gopher, ground hog, and grouse

I enjoy hunting a great deal [:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
1) Rats - Broomstick
2) Rats - Garbage bag and Louisville slugger
3) Gopher - Broomstick and noose

1) Adak, Alaska 1987-88.  Damned Norwegian Black Rats all over the place.  No guns allowed.  Improvised with broomsticks.  5-6 guys shake a dumpster - when the rats run out, you start whacking.

2) Still in Adak.  Slightly different dumpster method.  Hold a clear garbage bag over the drainage hole of dumpster.  Shake dumpster.  Rat bails out of dumpster and into the garbage bag. Hold bag (and rat) about chest high.  Batter up.

3) Inserted eyescrew into the top of broomstick.  Tie boot lace onto eyescrew.  Create noose out of boot lace and lay over opening of gopher hole. Lay down low next to hole.  When gopher pops up, pull with all your might.  Snare gopher out of hole.  Swing the gopher around in circles so it doesn't get out of noose.  Realize that you haven't thought about what you will do once you have a snared gopher.  Swing gopher wildly in circles while you think.  Walk towards tree while still swinging gopher.  Whap! Dead gopher.
If you have never hunted with a stick, you haven't hunted.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
[:E]  I hunted Rattle Snakes in South and North Dakota using a homemade snake catcher pole that Searcherfortruth made. We had a great time!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That's nasty.

real proud are you?????
View Quote

View Quote

What's NASTY is when one of the damned things SHITS on the ribeye steak I'm grilling for dinner...

I did what I had to do to solve the problem. I don't give a shit whether or not you approve of the method.
View Quote

1- it was about "hunting- that's not what you did.

2- perhaps move the bbq pit [/b]away[/b] from the house.
3- they were more likely swallows and not sparrows if they were under your eves. They eat mosquitos. But you go with whatever makes you feel like a man.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:36:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

3) Inserted eyescrew into the top of broomstick.  Tie boot lace onto eyescrew.  Create noose out of boot lace and lay over opening of gopher hole. Lay down low next to hole.  When gopher pops up, pull with all your might.  Snare gopher out of hole.  Swing the gopher around in circles so it doesn't get out of noose.  Realize that you haven't thought about what you will do once you have a snared gopher.  Swing gopher wildly in circles while you think.  Walk towards tree while still swinging gopher.  Whap! Dead gopher.
View Quote

Bawahahahahahahahaha!  That's funny as hell!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:46:53 AM EDT
[#11]
mice with a bb gun
coyote with beretta 96
was on patrol one night and seen a coyote run into a parking lot under a semi trailor.emptyed a whole mag and scored 3 hits.had a helluva time trying to explain to the sheriff were my ammo went.

[usa]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I hog hunted with a 16" folding stock FAL.

I once shot a coyote with a S&W 1006 10mm.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:47:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've known plenty of people to hunt with an SKS.
View Quote

I've had a long list of people I've wanted to haunt with an SKS also...

Oops. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

3- they were more likely swallows and not sparrows if they were under your eves. They eat mosquitos. But you go with whatever makes you feel like a man.
View Quote

#1- Whatever...

#2- It was a recessed patio that was nearly completely covered by the upstairs deck and surrounded on 3 sides by my place. The grill was as far out on the patio as I could get it.

#3- The birds were English Sparrows(basically rats with wings), not Swallows. If I offended your PETA-esque sensibilities...too fucking bad. They were pests. Period. I "hunted" them and eliminated the problem.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I offended your PETA-esque sensibilities...too fucking bad. They were pests. Period. I "hunted" them and eliminated the problem.
View Quote

There are no rules of engagement with pests!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen deer dropped with a bolt action .22 lr.  I don't trust my shooting enough for that, though... I need a larger caliber with more punch.

Patrick
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
3) Inserted eyescrew into the top of broomstick. Tie boot lace onto eyescrew. Create noose out of boot lace and lay over opening of gopher hole. Lay down low next to hole. When gopher pops up, pull with all your might. Snare gopher out of hole. Swing the gopher around in circles so it doesn't get out of noose. Realize that you haven't thought about what you will do once you have a snared gopher. Swing gopher wildly in circles while you think. Walk towards tree while still swinging gopher. Whap! Dead gopher.
View Quote

[rofl] That's the funniest post i've seen all day.

Edit for quotes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Last month I killed a antlered mule deer with my AR10.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

#1- Whatever...

#2- It was a recessed patio that was nearly completely covered by the upstairs deck and surrounded on 3 sides by my place. The grill was as far out on the patio as I could get it.

#3- The birds were English Sparrows(basically rats with wings), not Swallows. If I offended your PETA-esque sensibilities...too fucking bad. They were pests. Period. I "hunted" them and eliminated the problem.
View Quote

Yup.  and BINGO to #3, especially.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I've taken several Jackolope on the Plains of South Dakota With my barehands
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I've killed garden slugs with an air pistol, a mockingbird with a rock, squished thousands of ants on the sidewalk with a rubber ball, sparrows in the shop with an improvised blowgun, hunted bumblebees with a switch (bad idea, they can fight back), and blue crabs in an estuary with a .22 rimfire.  The crabs are excellent to hunt - they are wary and fast.

I bowled a squirrel over with a baseball sized rock one morning, but it didn't seem to have much affect, except you couldn't get within a 100 yards after that.

The best was hunting rattlesnakes at Michael Field, Utah - with a fishing pole.  After the first TDY there, someone got the idea to take mouse traps and a bait casting rod on the next trip out.  The idea was to trap mice out of the shack, truss them up alive on the end of the fishing line, cast them into likely looking rattler country (that would be anywhere you could see), then slowly troll them back hoping for a strike where the snake would hang on.  Old habits of setting a hook are hard to break, and I don't think we ever got a snake back, but it was something to do.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've taken several Jackolope on the Plains of South Dakota With my barehands
View Quote

So, how did the bear feel about this?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Field mice with a 10/22:
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=7574[/url]
View Quote

[ROFL]  you are all that is man    
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Deer.

1976 Ford Pinto.

Missed.

Flinched into the other lane at the very last moment.

I'm OK with that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
chickens w/ the blowgun pictured here...i hate chickens.

[url]http://home.ripway.com/2003-7/15091/AR15com%20stuff/Picture028resize.jpg[/url]
View Quote

f*n styk - i noticed that ur beer bottle's label has a pic of a rooster(?) on it?  coincidence?  i f*n doubt it, ha ha!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I choked a chicken once with one hand!...[:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Crawdads with string and raw bacon.

Gray Squirrel with 180 gr 30-06. (very little meat damaged, very dead squirrel)

Huge swarm of bees with pellet gun.

Coyote with AR-15 on duty with patrol car for a rest.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#28]
A gig. (small trident)

For frogs.

A sharp stick works in a pinch too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#29]
A pair of raccons,  two nights in a row,  with a table top Hibachi grill.   Cast iron,  messy,  but effective.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I choked a chicken once with one hand!...[:D]
View Quote

Hoo-leeee smokes!  Hahahahaha! [lolabove]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Was 16 and tried hunting Whitetail with a Sig 229 in .357 Sig.  Damn near buried myself in brush, dirt, and leaves near the feeder hoping to take out a doe.  It was near the end of the season and the deer population was getting a bit too large.  Decided that I needed a challenge is this was the best I could come up with.

Of course, they were too smart for that and none came close enough.  I wanted a headshot only...no point in wounding one.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top