[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where is this one going?
View Quote
Polar sun synchronous orbit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there unusual gas outgassing at the top of the engine nozzle?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Spacecraft deployment in one minute
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nah, it just looks like lighting angle
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Something is venting.  Maybe we could look at previous launches to see if this occurs normally.  The amount of debris that gets shaken loose after staging always looks unusual.  Some of it has to be ice but the rest looks like metal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Successful launch and deployment
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Were they not trying to get the booster back?

Red
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So they're not landing the rocket, correct?
View Quote
Block 4 is getting phased out and they already have a bunch of them.

Block 5 is made for 10+ re-uses and rapid turnaround, should fly soon. A lot of the landings until then will probably be experimental types.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Were they not trying to get the booster back?

Red
View Quote
No, although they are testing getting the payload fairings back.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Was it visible in southern California like the December 2017 Iridium launch?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Did I miss it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was cool to see.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#13]
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/966682218411143169

@elonmusk

Made it back from space and fairing parafoil just deployed. Now trying to catch it ..
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Was it just me,  or did it look like the second stage was starting to maneuver after the primary payload deployed?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Was it just me,  or did it look like the second stage was starting to maneuver after the primary payload deployed?
View Quote
There are two more SpaceX test satellites on it
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Fairing catcher boat
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Almost

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/966692641533390848

Missed by a few hundred meters, but fairing landed intact in water. Should be able catch it with slightly bigger chutes to slow down descent.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Starlink prototypes (Tintin A & B) released, communicating with ground

Video
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Stick a big Marc outboard on it and run it back to port
View Quote
Size, for comparison:

I just wonder if Spain has claimed it yet...
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They're going to try to 'catch' the payload fairing with this boat (Mr. Steven):
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=44892.0;attach=1478646;image
View Quote
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfgRX-lgIt6/
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Can someone explain the sun synchronous orbit.

How is it synced to the sun when it orbits on the night side of earth.  I'm confused

ETA. Nevermind,  same location on earth at same time each day.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can someone explain the sun synchronous orbit.

How is it synced to the sun when it orbits on the night side of earth.  I'm confused
View Quote
The plane of the orbit is always pointing at the sun.  Basically if you have a globe imagine a plane defined by the two poles and the sun.  The earth will rotate through that plane but that satellites orbit will always be on that plane.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If they deliver what they are saying they will at a reasonable price I'll be one of the first to sign up.  WISPS suck
View Quote
Starlink could be a a venture that basically prints money.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Starlink could be a a venture that basically prints money.
View Quote
Yep.  Pretty much entirely vertically integrated as well.  One Web is working on the same thing but is beholden to other commercial launch providers, that will really drive up cost for them.  The have contracts with BO for launches on New Glenn but BO is only projecting 12 launches a year, going to take awhile to get a full constellation up at a much higher price compared to SpaceX.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep.  Pretty much entirely vertically integrated as well.  One Web is working on the same thing but is beholden to other commercial launch providers, that will really drive up cost for them.  The have contracts with BO for launches on New Glenn but BO is only projecting 12 launches a year, going to take awhile to get a full constellation up at a much higher price compared to SpaceX.
View Quote
They're launching on Euro-Soyuz until NG comes online. Those are about $80m per pop for a launch for less payload than a Falcon 9. SpaceX internal cost for an F9 launch when they get fairing reuse done is probably $20-25m, over hundreds of launches that adds up to billions of dollars.

OneWeb isnt doing the laser link, is, so it wont have the large low-latency backbone potential that Starlink will have.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They're launching on Euro-Soyuz until NG comes online. Those are about $80m per pop for a launch for less payload than a Falcon 9. SpaceX internal cost for an F9 launch when they get fairing reuse done is probably $20-25m, over hundreds of launches that adds up to billions of dollars.

OneWeb isnt doing the laser link, is, so it wont have the large low-latency backbone potential that Starlink will have.
View Quote
Any links for info on the laser link?

I have to imagine that any launcher will be volume limited for these satellites not weight limited.  NG just seems like overkill as I have to imagine its price will be more in line with FH vs F9.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, I went outside about a minute after launch and looked all over but no cigar. The other one was really cool, but of coarse I didn't know about it and missed that one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes. I watched it from my house. Last one was more impressive as it was still dark outside.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have to imagine that any launcher will be volume limited for these satellites not weight limited.  NG just seems like overkill as I have to imagine its price will be more in line with FH vs F9.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There isn't too much details/info on it other than the satellites will communicate with each other via a laser link. SpaceX is understandably being pretty secretive about Starlink.

https://www.cnet.com/news/spacex-starlink-satellite-broadband-launches-falcon-9-vandenberg/

Tintin A and B are designed to communicate with each other through optical laser links and with ground stations on Earth. If all goes well and SpaceX receives approval from the FCC to begin launching its first full satellite constellation, we could see hundreds and then thousands of other small satellites being launched to a low Earth orbit to begin spinning up the broadband service.

Most satellite internet customers are currently served by a handful of satellites in high geostationary orbit, but Starlink's lower-altitude constellations would instead use a swarm of satellites to provide low-latency connectivity that feels more like a cable or fiber-optic connection.
NG will have a larger 7m fairing, with lots of volume. They got rid of the 5m option.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top