Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Those west coast storms are killer. Look at the damage from the last storm that blew through here.

Funniest thing I have seen all day

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Around here, they call maps like this:

"...a little rain in the forecast..."
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]

This was taken Thanksgiving weekend.  She should be swimming right there as should I.  This is only a hundred feet or so where the water should be.  The water should be up against our wall behind her but is a few hundred yards behind me.  See our boat dock off to the right?  That thing hasn't touched water in a couple of years.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Let me rephrase that...

is board code for I was talking out my ass earlier.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
StormWatch 2004 Update - wow... uhmm.. lots of... well.. not much of anything happening here in Huntington Beach, Fritz. Its not a storm until it floods my street like last time.

-d

how 'bout now?  are you close enough to sand bag?  I am in mid orange county and it is raining pretty good up here

Little bit more windy than it was this morning, but it hasn't even rained enough to fill the gutters yet.

-d
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.rsktool.com/Markspics/tesssnow.jpg
This was taken Thanksgiving weekend.  She should be swimming right there as should I.  This is only a hundred feet or so where the water should be.  The water should be up against our wall behind her but is a few hundred yards behind me.  See our boat dock off to the right?  That thing hasn't touched water in a couple of years.  

That in Big Bear?

-d
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Big Bear lake IS NOT meant to be a resort lake, it is a reservoir of water for the "farmers" and "orchards" in San Bernardino.

The Lake is not a source of water for the local water supply.
The only water taken locally is by the two ski resorts for making artificial snow.
They may each purchase up to 500-acre ft. per ski season.

The Big Bear Municipal Water District has no ownership of the water, that belongs to the water rights holders in San Bernardino.
The BBMWD has responsibility of managing the surface of the lake, nothing more, nothing less.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That in Big Bear?

-d

Yeah, up by Stanfield cutoff behind Vons.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Too bad I don't get SoCal local news........I'd love to see what Jackie Johnson will make of the weather, on Channel 9.

YoWZA!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#11]
TUNE IN AT 6 FOR THE LATEST FORECAST!!!!!

They are just practicing for sweeps week.... (notice how the weathermen exaggerate during sweeps.  bastards)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let me rephrase that...

is board code for I was talking out my ass earlier.

No, just what it says.  I didnt clarify the statement in the original response.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That in Big Bear?

-d

Yeah, up by Stanfield cutoff behind Vons.

I believe I know where that is. Some relatives have a cabin up in Big Bear.. last time I went to it was about 3-4 years ago. With the recent snow and storms, I think I'll head up there next week for a bit. Looks nice up there.

-d
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Too bad I don't get SoCal local news........I'd love to see what Jackie Johnson will make of the weather, on Channel 9.

YoWZA!!!

Yowza indeed! One night she was wearing this little red skirt, I was hoping she'd drop that little remote she uses. Never heard of her before, do you know what area she came from?

-d
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Those west coast storms are killer. Look at the damage from the last storm that blew through here.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=33995

that is funny.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Fucking Stormwatch.  Geez, give me a break.  A little fricken water when we really need it and everyone freaks out.  We've been in a drought since God knows when.  It's nice to have a season for a change.  

+1

I'm tired of the asshats around here that complain and say "it's been raining for TWO whole days!" These are the same people who will get all worried about the drought and low reservoirs. I think the people that wear parkas when it gets below 68 degrees are goofy. I think all of the "Storm Watch 2004" media coverage is teh ghey. I think all the people getting their panties in a wad about a little hail are over wrought.

That is all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
LA has already got four times the amount of rain for this time of the season ... not bad and sorry to inform not too many people dead yet. Keep your hopes up guys, maybe some one will lose control of their car and roll it killing a whole bunch of people, possibly a hillside will give way and kill a bunch of people asleep in their beds ... you American haters crack me the fuck up!

What the....? You feeling all right there, Master Chief?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#18]
California...the state everyone loves to hate
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The BBMWD has responsibility of managing the surface of the lake, nothing more, nothing less.

What does that really mean though? They have to skim the algae off the top ever quarter?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Some of the folks around the USA is not familiar with So. Calif Los Angeles-area, but within a 100 mile radius, we have kinds of different terrain. All the way from the flat lands of Los Angeles, to the deserts of the Palmdale/Lancaster area, and the of course the mountainous areas. One area may be have torrential rains, and another area may have just wind(the canyons & passes), and another area may have both rain and wind(the foothill areas). The reason for all of this unpredictable weather is the ocean and the nearby mountains.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What part of the Rocky Mountains are in California?

Quoted:

Quoted:
CA pussies!  You havent had snow or cold until you have experienced the Dakotas or Montana or any of the northern states.  Even in the south there is weather that is much worse. We went on a trip through New Mexico. A cop at a rest stop said to drive slow ahead.  We were like, right.  It was like a blanket.  One minute sunny and 70 degrees, next we were up to our car window in snow and it was 20 degrees.  It was hell on earth.  

Huh? Hey brainiac, ever heard of the High Sierras? Mount Whitney? The Rocky Mountains? Tahoe? Yosemite?

Damn you, you made me google a map!

www.harpercollege.edu/~mhealy/geogres/maps/nagif/naprgl.gif

The western part.

You're kidding us, right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#22]
My jacket got wet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
www.rsktool.com/Markspics/tesssnow.jpg

... Son, that is one handsome abode you have there. You ever make your way over to Chad's Place in Big Bear Village?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Some of the folks around the USA is not familiar with So. Calif Los Angeles-area, but within a 100 mile radius, we have kinds of different terrain. All the way from the flat lands of Los Angeles, to the deserts of the Palmdale/Lancaster area, and the of course the mountainous areas. One area may be have torrential rains, and another area may have just wind(the canyons & passes), and another area may have both rain and wind(the foothill areas). The reason for all of this unpredictable weather is the ocean and the nearby mountains.

LA isn't all flatlands, the City of LA includes Mt. Lukens at over 5600 ft in elevation.  And Mts San  Antonio, San Gorgonio and Jacinto are all over 10,500 to 12000 ft tall.  Cosider the highest hill east of the Mississippi is only about 6500 feet tall.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#25]
They are responsible for the "look" of the lake for the tourists and for the locals.

I like Baldwin Lake or Erwin Lake. Lake.

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that really mean though? They have to skim the algae off the top ever quarter?

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
StormWatch 2004 Update - wow... uhmm.. lots of... well.. not much of anything happening here in Huntington Beach, Fritz. Its not a storm until it floods my street like last time.

-d

Where about are you in Huntington Beach?  I used to walk to Edison High School, and in '84 there were flood from the ocean all the way to the school.  Some poor fish was washed up to the empty lot next to the school (now a walled-in housing tract) and got stuck in some puddle for weeks before water dried up and died.

Funny thing is, no matter how much it rained, some asshat always say "We are still below normal level".
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Oh, that's just great. I have a Palma match in San Diego on Saturday . . .

That's okay. Good practice for Camp Perry next summer...

Tachyon
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Funny thing is, no matter how much it rained, some asshat always say "We are still below normal level".

It takes a lot of water to recharge the water table, and it is just not one big rainy season, you need like 2 or 3 season it to rechrge completely. I drive pass a gravel company on the 605 & 210 freeways that has a fairly deep it, it is a small lake, during a good wet season you can't see the little islands in the middle, but during a drought you can, and this year is a drought.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

Where about are you in Huntington Beach?  I used to walk to Edison High School, and in '84 there were flood from the ocean all the way to the school.  Some poor fish was washed up to the empty lot next to the school (now a walled-in housing tract) and got stuck in some puddle for weeks before water dried up and died.

I live in the downtown area... 18th Street. Our street will flood if it comes down hard and fast. But other than that, nothing builds up.

-d
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys down in the flatlands need to read some of the stories of the 1888 (or so) floods that flooded from the Santa Ana River all the way to Long Beach.  I'm up in Brea kind of on a hill  so I don't  worry too much, Brea Creek is about a block from me and my house is about 10 feet above the top, not just the spillway of the Brea Creek flood control dam in Fullerton.

In 83 or 84 the water behind Fullerton Dam has to be held back some because it was flooding in Buena Park and  Stanton and it covered Bastanchury Rd to about 5 feet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Ahh...killing me with that!  Wow...wish I had seen that.

I believe she's from the East Coast, Florida to be exact.  Don't know much else, but of all the wetaher ladies....she tops them all!

A distant 2nd, is probably the Mia Lee lady.....but she looks way overdone, and looks like her chest can blow any minute!  

At least I'll be able to catch the news next weekend in the PRK.......and hopefully the Burro shoot will still happen, unless you folks are afraid of a few mudslides, and all......then again, I would too!

Quoted:

Quoted:

YoWZA!!!

Yowza indeed! One night she was wearing this little red skirt, I was hoping she'd drop that little remote she uses. Never heard of her before, do you know what area she came from?

-d

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#32]
If this "weather from the North" is supposed to be the same stuff that just came through Washington dont, get your hopes up for anything interesting. It amounted to one day of rain and 1/2" of snow in Seattle, exciting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It takes a lot of water to recharge the water table, and it is just not one big rainy season, you need like 2 or 3 season it to rechrge completely. I drive pass a gravel company on the 605 & 210 freeways that has a fairly deep it, it is a small lake, during a good wet season you can't see the little islands in the middle, but during a drought you can, and this year is a drought.

AHH, beautiful Irwindale.  I pass that same spot daily.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:20:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If this "weather from the North" is supposed to be the same stuff that just came through Washington dont, get your hopes up for anything interesting. It amounted to one day of rain and 1/2" of snow in Seattle, exciting.

its actually 2 storms, one from the north and one from the south (pineapple express, hey i didnt name it) and they are both coming together and slamming into kali.

i think people have been watching the news waaaaaaaaay too much, yeah so a bunch of weathermen start popping boners and going all out on "STORMWATCH" when theres a sprinkle in the air. it doesnt mean that everyone else in kali gives a rats ass or is freaking out, hey most people know we need it, and many are loving it.

actually most people in kali are USED to the RAIN. how ? BECAUSE THEY COME FROM THE MIDWEST AND EAST COAST !!! and they are mostly antigun LIBERALS

i think its been raining almost everyday for about 2 weeks(multiple storms), with 2-3 more days together before things dry up.

the area over 4 corners just passed through the other day, the big purple thing off the west coast is going to hit us for the next 2-3 days. FUN FUN FUN

i still dont understand why the kali haters are so jealous of us, i mean they cant stop talking about kali ....they must REALLY CARE or else they wouldnt give a shit or say a damn thing about kali.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#35]
I hope CA freezes to the point even the ants die.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#36]
me too -- i hate ants
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I hope CA freezes to the point even the ants die.

we should be so lucky.

Does that kill off the fire ants too?  Although I bet most of them little buggers have drowned by now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
me too -- i hate ants

me three?
actually what stinks is when it rains this hard, all the damn ants invade the house!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
... It appears the worst is over. Understand it's supposed to rain here fro the next three days straight - unusual.

... I got caught in a snowstorm in CA a week ago today

where is that second photo from?

looks like the backside of 18

... Bingo!

That's what I thought too. The pucker factor goes up when that road is dry, much less rain, snow and ice. No guard rails in some places. You could drive off the side of a mountain and not be found for months.

SAME LOL  i love driving the mtns.. all 4 ways up to big bear.

... Did you hear the latest? Some poor folks were actually stranded on this highway for a day because of a bad snowstorm. I took along extra food, water and cold-weather survival bivouac when I made my trip and took this picture.

... FOXNews had a some schmuck on the phone whining about 5 people stuck in a car with a half bottle of water
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Snow strands 200 vehicles overnight

By BRAD A. GREENBERG, Staff Writer

BIG BEAR LAKE - UCLA student Sharon Uy and four friends huddled inside an SUV trying to stay warm.
They ate Costco muffins and listened to music.

They complained about the several feet of wet snow outside that stranded them and about 200 other cars overnight.

"This is insane,' Uy said Saturday morning inside a Chevrolet Avalanche parked on Highway 18 two miles south of Big Bear Lake dam.

Excluding Uy, who rode up in another truck, the Avalanche's four passengers reached Big Bear Lake about 10 p.m. Friday. They were minutes from their cabin, when Uy called.

"We're stuck,' she said.

They headed back down the San Bernardino Mountains for their friend. The other truck wouldn't budge.

As they traveled back to Big Bear Lake, now with Uy, a traffic jam blocked Highway 18. Fourteen hours later, the Avalanche was towed out of the snow.

"We basically paid $300 for a cabin we didn't use,' said the driver, Gary Sangines, 21, of Compton.

Outside, wind-whipped snow and hail assaulted those brave enough to step out of their cars. Sangines and his passengers, at times, directed traffic to one side to help the snow plows get through.

His car ran all night to heat frozen limbs and make a bad situation more comfortable. They listened to music and played Playstation 2. They tried to be upbeat.

Sleep? Not much.

"I kept thinking someone was going to pull us out, so I didn't get much sleep,' Sangines said.

Caltrans tried to clear the road early Saturday but was unsuccessful until after 8 a.m., officials said. Some snow plows got stuck, too.

"This is not your normal snow,' California Highway Patrol Sgt. Jeff Newsome said as he drove ito the stranded vehicles Saturday morning. "It was coming down like sleet.'

The blizzard-like conditions and droves of out-of-towners who didn't put chains on their vehicles made for a chaotic combo, Newsome said. Cars stretched along the road for several miles, officials said. They piled in small groups spread between Snow Valley Ski Resort and the dam.

Because the CHP's Lake Arrowhead station is short-staffed, there wasn't an officer Friday night to force cars heading into the mountains to use chains, Newsome said. Signs were posted.

Snow plows and excavators worked furiously to clear the road Saturday. Firefighters faced extreme pressure to get the remainder of the motorists out of the middle of the pack once rain started falling, officials said.

The rain created a slush that brought some of the snow, rocks and debris down the side of the mountain, said county fire Capt. Dan Tellez of the Fawnskin station. They shuttled people off the roads and into shelter at a nearby church.

"The rest we just grabbed and ran,' Tellez said. "The rain was coming in, and we were in a rush to get them out.'

The rest of the occupied vehicles were towed. About 20 abandoned autos remained on Highway 18, said a CHP spokesman, Officer Wally Wood. The road will stay closed until they are removed, which won't happen until at least Monday, he said.

Officials had predicted last week that a flurry of snow could cause mayhem in the mountains.

"Unfortunately, it does get a lot of inexperienced drivers up here,' Newsome said. "And these conditions demand you know what to do.'

Ammie Nugent, 26, left Newport Beach about 6 p.m. Friday. She knew the mountains would be piled high with fresh snow. That's what she looked forward to.

At 8:30, her sport utility vehicle got stuck.

Without luck, she pleaded for help from passing tow trucks.

"We were flashing our lights. Honking,' Nugent said, drawing parallels to the passers-by who don't help the traveler in the parable of the Good Samaritan.

At 3 a.m., her sport utility vehicle's heater failed.

"We were freezing,' Nugent said. "Our battery is totally dead.'

At 6 a.m., she and the two other women with her found their Good Samaritan. They hopped into Nathan Smith's vehicle, where they would be found six hours later.

Smith and his wife, who live in El Cajon, had already been freed from one snow trap a line of cars he said was 100 deep.

They thought they were in the clear.

"And then the snow plow got stuck,' Smith said.

Newsome said, "This is why we really encourage people when they come up here to have blankets, water and a full tank of gas.'

Early Saturday, the vehicle removals went slowly, said Tom Barnes, spokesman for the San Bernardino County Fire Department.

"The problem is access,' Barnes said. "Our folks were able to get so far, and then they had to walk in ... and walking in two feet of snow is not easy.'

No one remained stranded by 3 p.m., Barnes said. The only people taken to hospitals were a mother who complained of shortness of breath and her two asthmatic children, officials said.

Most people were frustrated but otherwise fine.

"We've been laughing the whole time,' Jolene Aronson, 19, of Fontana said, referring also to her passenger, Vanessa Cortez, 23, of Rialto. "We're like, 'Well, we'll always remember this, our first trip to Big Bear.'
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I like the rain...They make such a big deal if a puddle hits here it's ridiculous. I'd go sit out in the rain right now if my dad wasn't determined it could somehow make you sick. It's rain, it's no big deal! We aren't kayaking to our neighbors houses!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#42]

What a bunch of wankers.

Heading up to snow country in the middle of winter with a storm on the way and no survival gear at all.

IDIOTS!

"I kept thinking someone was going to pull us out..."

We went up to Flagstaff for New Years and I had enough gear on board to spend a few days cut off from the world, just in case.  "Oh, but its *just* going up to Big Bear for a couple of days, what could *possibly* happen."

How I wish Darwin could thin the herd on these mental midgets and give the rest of the species a chance.

</end rant>

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#43]
getting stuck woulda been fun!  I have a 4 season tent in my car, a sierra designs 15deg bag, my thermarest, a stove, water, food, drink and a shovel.

the only issue is oalong the rim, rocks fall.. big ones.. i saw 2 cars crushed last year by them.. 3ft across boulders after a storm.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I went to Arnold for three days after Christmas just to see snow.  It rained the whole time.

Now California is getting all this snow and all that happens here in the Bay Area is lots and lots of rain.

I'm getting shafted, dammit!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What a bunch of wankers.

If you've even driven before you know that the two lane road up there is only as fast as the slowest possible driver.

It's one of the reasons I haven't been up there since I stopped flying after 9/11.

4+ hours driving dealing with idiots that are used to nothing but urban freeways or about an hour by air.

NO BRAINER!

Used to fly up every few weeks to have lunch or dinner just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

By BRAD A. GREENBERG, Staff Writer

BIG BEAR LAKE - UCLA student Sharon Uy and four friends huddled inside an SUV trying to stay warm.
They ate Costco muffins and listened to music.

They complained about the several feet of wet snow outside that stranded them and about 200 other cars overnight.

"This is insane,' Uy said Saturday morning inside a Chevrolet Avalanche parked on Highway 18 two miles south of Big Bear Lake dam.

Excluding Uy, who rode up in another truck, the Avalanche's four passengers reached Big Bear Lake about 10 p.m. Friday. They were minutes from their cabin, when Uy called.

"We're stuck,' she said.

They headed back down the San Bernardino Mountains for their friend. The other truck wouldn't budge.

As they traveled back to Big Bear Lake, now with Uy, a traffic jam blocked Highway 18. Fourteen hours later, the Avalanche was towed out of the snow.

"We basically paid $300 for a cabin we didn't use,' said the driver, Gary Sangines, 21, of Compton.

Outside, wind-whipped snow and hail assaulted those brave enough to step out of their cars. Sangines and his passengers, at times, directed traffic to one side to help the snow plows get through.

His car ran all night to heat frozen limbs and make a bad situation more comfortable. They listened to music and played Playstation 2. They tried to be upbeat.

Sleep? Not much.

"I kept thinking someone was going to pull us out, so I didn't get much sleep,' Sangines said.

Caltrans tried to clear the road early Saturday but was unsuccessful until after 8 a.m., officials said. Some snow plows got stuck, too.

"This is not your normal snow,' California Highway Patrol Sgt. Jeff Newsome said as he drove ito the stranded vehicles Saturday morning. "It was coming down like sleet.'

The blizzard-like conditions and droves of out-of-towners who didn't put chains on their vehicles made for a chaotic combo, Newsome said. Cars stretched along the road for several miles, officials said. They piled in small groups spread between Snow Valley Ski Resort and the dam.

Because the CHP's Lake Arrowhead station is short-staffed, there wasn't an officer Friday night to force cars heading into the mountains to use chains, Newsome said. Signs were posted.

Snow plows and excavators worked furiously to clear the road Saturday. Firefighters faced extreme pressure to get the remainder of the motorists out of the middle of the pack once rain started falling, officials said.

The rain created a slush that brought some of the snow, rocks and debris down the side of the mountain, said county fire Capt. Dan Tellez of the Fawnskin station. They shuttled people off the roads and into shelter at a nearby church.

"The rest we just grabbed and ran,' Tellez said. "The rain was coming in, and we were in a rush to get them out.'

The rest of the occupied vehicles were towed. About 20 abandoned autos remained on Highway 18, said a CHP spokesman, Officer Wally Wood. The road will stay closed until they are removed, which won't happen until at least Monday, he said.

Officials had predicted last week that a flurry of snow could cause mayhem in the mountains.

"Unfortunately, it does get a lot of inexperienced drivers up here,' Newsome said. "And these conditions demand you know what to do.'

Ammie Nugent, 26, left Newport Beach about 6 p.m. Friday. She knew the mountains would be piled high with fresh snow. That's what she looked forward to.

At 8:30, her sport utility vehicle got stuck.

Without luck, she pleaded for help from passing tow trucks.

"We were flashing our lights. Honking,' Nugent said, drawing parallels to the passers-by who don't help the traveler in the parable of the Good Samaritan.

At 3 a.m., her sport utility vehicle's heater failed.

"We were freezing,' Nugent said. "Our battery is totally dead.'

At 6 a.m., she and the two other women with her found their Good Samaritan. They hopped into Nathan Smith's vehicle, where they would be found six hours later.

Smith and his wife, who live in El Cajon, had already been freed from one snow trap a line of cars he said was 100 deep.

They thought they were in the clear.

"And then the snow plow got stuck,' Smith said.

Newsome said, "This is why we really encourage people when they come up here to have blankets, water and a full tank of gas.'

Early Saturday, the vehicle removals went slowly, said Tom Barnes, spokesman for the San Bernardino County Fire Department.

"The problem is access,' Barnes said. "Our folks were able to get so far, and then they had to walk in ... and walking in two feet of snow is not easy.'

No one remained stranded by 3 p.m., Barnes said. The only people taken to hospitals were a mother who complained of shortness of breath and her two asthmatic children, officials said.

Most people were frustrated but otherwise fine.

"We've been laughing the whole time,' Jolene Aronson, 19, of Fontana said, referring also to her passenger, Vanessa Cortez, 23, of Rialto. "We're like, 'Well, we'll always remember this, our first trip to Big Bear.'

That has got to be the most pathetic article I have ever read.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#49]
OMG!

Water is falling from the sky!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got a good dump of rain in the last 45 minutes....probably an inch as the rain gauge has gone up an that much ..... Huntington Beach
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top