Attn: Yankees... YOU are dismissed!

So now that eliminates the East coast teams? Bye Boston, Atlanta,  & New York

Bite me

Oh come on.... you know i still love ya

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You hiding?

I can't wait to see how you look in Angels RED!!

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:11:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hiding?

TO bad the Angels catcher is to stuipid to tag out the batter
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hiding?

That was one of the WORST calls EVER in the HISTORY of baseball.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hiding?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/kungpoocow/ohnoyoudidnt.jpg

Any smart catcher knows to tag the batter. Play till the ump says its over.  The catcher didn't even look back.

If your glove touches the ground tag the runner so the ump knows he is out. Hey I'm an Astros fan I don;t care who wins. You catcher fugged up.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:22:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hiding?

Any smart catcher knows to tag the batter. Play till the ump says its over.  The catcher didn't even look back.

If your glove touches the ground tag the runner so the ump knows he is out. Hey I'm an Astros fan I don;t care who wins. You catcher fugged up.

Were we watching the same GAME??

The home plate ump called a strikeout, and the runner started walking towards his dugout, the catcher rolled the ball towards the pitchers mound as all players were walking off the field....Then he runs to first and is called safe?

They just wanted to let Chicago win one, so it wouldn't be a sweep!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:25:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hiding?

The home plate ump called a strikeout, and the runner started walking towards his dugout, the catcher rolled the ball towards the pitchers mound as all players were walking off the field....Then he runs to first and is called safe?

Umm sorry, there is no call for a strikeout. There is a call for a strike.  Thats what he called.  You can walk ALL THE WAY to the dugout and still run to first.  Ever see a catcher tag a guy who is just standing there?  Its coached from Pony league.  If he runs you throw him out.  Don't leave it in the umps hands.  All he had to do was tag him before rolling it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:28:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hiding?

Umm sorry, there is no call for a strikeout. There is a call for a strike.  Thats what he called.  You can walk ALL THE WAY to the dugout and still run to first.  Ever see a catcher tag a guy who is just standing there?  Its coached from Pony league.  If he runs you throw him out.  Don't leave it in the umps hands.  All he had to do was tag him before rolling it.

But the inning was OVER! How long do you sit there with the ball and wait???
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:30:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Umm no need to wait if you tag him.  He is out at that point. Innings are not over until there are 3 outs.  The ump never called him out.  The runner looked at the ump verified this, then ran to first.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm no need to wait if you tag him.  He is out at that point. Innings are not over until there are 3 outs.  

sigh.

EVERY time I see a strikeout, the batter walks away. Its OVER. Is this going to change the way the game is played?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm no need to wait if you tag him.  He is out at that point. Innings are not over until there are 3 outs.  

sigh.

EVERY time I see a strikeout, the batter walks away. Its OVER. Is this going to change the way the game is played?

Because the umps call them out.  The ump never called him out.  The batter looked back and then ran to first.  Top of the step of the dugout, then you are out.  The catcher never looked back.

The umps could have done a better job making it clear the play is still alive.  Catcher is to blame finally.  Because he could have easily tagged him. Finish the play.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sigh.

Because the umps call them out.  The ump never called him out.  The batter looked back and then ran to first.  Top of the step of the dugout, then you are out.  The catcher never looked back.

The umps could have done a better job making it clear the play is still alive.  Catcher is to blame finally.  Because he could have easily tagged him. Finish the play.

Actually your conclusion is wrong. Upon close analysis through ESPN and FoxSports, Two things are obviously evident.

1. There was NO dust "signature" where the ball had hit the dirt.
2. the umpire CLEARLY called "strike" then called "out" in the replay. At that point the inning was over.

This is coming from analysis of neutral parties and not fans. Of course as a fan I feel robbed but as a neutral observer. It was a major screw up.

Now, if Chicago makes it to the World Series, it is 'tainted'

They also replayed the 6th inning whereas Bengie Molina was at bat and a similar situation occurred. AJ Pierzinsky caught the ball, The umpire called 'strike' then WAITED until AJ tagged Bengie THEN called him 'out'

This is a ROYAL fuck up for the umpire.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sigh.

Actually your conclusion is wrong. Upon close analysis through ESPN and FoxSports, Two things are obviously evident.

2. the umpire CLEARLY called "strike" then called "out" in the replay. At that point the inning was over.

This is coming from analysis of neutral parties and not fans. Of course as a fan I feel robbed but as a neutral observer. It was a major screw up.

They also replayed the 6th inning whereas Bengie Molina was at bat and a similar situation occurred. AJ Pierzinsky caught the ball, The umpire called 'strike' then WAITED until AJ tagged Bengie THEN called him 'out'

BS he never called strike.  Your dumbass catcher never tagged the runner. IF HE CALLED strike how did your catcher see it?  He never looked back!!!

Homer
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sigh.

BS he never called strike.  Your dumbass catcher never tagged the runner. IF HE CALLED strike how did your catcher see it?  He never looked back!!!

Homer

Homer? Oh look another quote.

Fred,

The Facts: The Ump extended his arm to the right as all the other times he called "Strike" Then then the fist went up and forward "OUT!"

IF HE CALLED strike how did your catcher see it?  He never looked back!!!

"CALLED" is not only visual but vocal. Did Josh Paul "hear" the umpire calling "Strike?" and/or "Out?" You dont know that and neither do I.

Dont take MY word for it because I am an Angel fan... watch the analysis
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Got this off of ESPN.com

Umpire was wrong, but replay is worseBy Mark Kreidler
Special to ESPN.com

Upon further review, you play it where it lies. Upon further review, the whole bleedin' situation stands as called.

Do umpires make mistakes? You bet they do -- along with every pitcher, catcher, fielder, hitter and manager who ever stepped onto a baseball diamond to attempt this infernal game, where a guy who chokes seven out of 10 times at the plate is a .300 hitter and bound for glory.

In other news, they're all humanoids, every last one of 'em. Mistakes, the little annoying ones and the grand, glorious, grounder-through-the-wickets-that-changes-a-Series-forever ones, are a part of the process -- an integral part, I'd argue.

They'll do the game, foibles and all. We'll watch and talk after. It's been working pretty well for a century.

It isn't as though you couldn't see the call for instant replay coming at a time like this. The home-plate ump got it wrong Wednesday night in a playoff game in Chicago, and he essentially took an out off the board because he lacked the courage of his conviction. If you're the Angels today, or someone close to them, or someone who just likes to see the just thing happen most of the time, it's almost a natural reaction to ask whether some sort of replay system might solve this kind of stuff.

But of course instant replay does exist, in every TV room and on every plasma screen in the country that happened to be tuned to the White Sox-Angels game -- or any other game. We've had instant replay, in one form or another, for my entire sporting lifetime.

You know what replay has shown, at least in baseball? It has shown how staggeringly often the umpires get it right. Replay, for baseball, is just about the umps' best friend, not that any of them probably see it that way. When the umpires think about replay, they probably think about getting second-guessed from here to eternity or having the integrity of their strike zones questioned (about half the time, they should be). But the truth is that replay has borne out, time and again, that Major League Baseball umps do a very good job, a consistently good job, under split-second conditions. They don't miss much. You'd take their success ratio into your line of work any day of the week.

If the argument for instant replay comes down to eliminating mistakes from the game, then let's all save breath. The beauty of sports, from a spectator point of view, is the human aspect everywhere you look. The White Sox don't find themselves in that situation Wednesday night if A.J. Pierzynski doesn't swing at a pitch so far out of the strike zone that it really does drop almost all the way to the dirt. The Angels aren't made to pay for umpire Doug Eddings' unfortunate change of heart if Kelvim Escobar, who has been so brilliant to this point, doesn't suddenly hang a pitch right in front of Joe Crede.

(Another beautiful thing about sports: Competitors who make each other pay for those mistakes. Crede didn't miss his opportunity.)

And here's the kicker in this very specific instance: It appeared that umpire Eddings got it right the first time. He rang up Pierzynski emphatically -- or so it seemed.

It wasn't until Pierzynski sprinted for first (a great human moment, by the way, just sort of hoping the fake out might work) that -- my interpretation here; Eddings claims otherwise -- he allowed himself to be taken by the scam. Eddings didn't need replay, in truth. He just needed to believe his own call in the first place.

Human error? Well, Paul could have simply tagged out Pierzynski at home plate after the pitch. We teach that kind of stuff in Pony League and Cal Ripken League all the time. If there's even a remote doubt, apply the tag and be done with it. You can argue that Paul didn't bother because he knew he'd caught the ball and Eddings confirmed it, but, look, are we going to talk about eliminating the potential for human miscue or not?

If the great adventure of the NFL has taught us anything, it is that replay review does not remove the human capacity for mistakes; it just pushes it around on the field. Now the arguments are mostly about whether the replay judge gets it right, or about the call that is non-reviewable, or about the call that never gets made in the first place and thus cannot even be considered.

You enter into a game that involves people, you are going to see people playing a game, flaws and all. If I want PS2, I can just go upstairs and steal it from my kids. The attempt to get things right or do it better next time, to agonize over the pitch you wish you had back or the swing that somehow completely missed a batting-practice fastball -- it's the good stuff in the game. And that includes the people who call the games. It's true that no one ever buys a ticket to watch an umpire work, but it is also undeniably true that the umpires add a crucial dimension to the deal.

It's the human element -- on every level -- that makes sport so consistently interesting, which is just another way of saying we're never really done talking about it. Or, as Darin Erstad said late Wednesday night in Chicago, "People, when they say they've seen it all? They haven't seen it all."

And I got this as well:

Mr. Eddings ... you're guiltyBy Jim Caple
ESPN.com
Archive

CHICAGO -- Hear ye, hear ye. The People's Court is now in session with the honorable Second Guesser presiding to hear testimony in the matter of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, California, North America et al v. Doug Eddings.

The Angels shall call their first witness, Josh Paul, the Angels' 30-year-old third-string catcher who had taken the field when starter Jose Molina left the game in the eighth inning. Mr. Paul, in your words, could you kindly explain what happened on the play in question when an apparent inning-ending third strike resulted in the batter reaching first base and all hell breaking loose?

"I caught the ball. ... If you block a ball in the dirt for strike three, the umpire usually calls, 'No catch, no catch, no catch.' And he didn't say that. I caught it.''

Mr. A.J. Pierzynski, the batter on the scene and a veteran catcher himself, will now submit his expert opinion.

"Not every umpire does that. There's no protocol. The same thing happened to me in a game in San Francisco last year. I caught it, the umpire didn't say anything and I went out to the mound. Me and Jason Schmidt were talking and we look over and the guy was standing on first base. ...

AP Photo/Jeff Roberson
Mike Scioscia lost this argument, but the Angels are still going home with a split."It was the same situation when Garret Anderson was up earlier in the game. I thought we caught him, I threw the ball around and the umpire said it hit the ground. It was a foul tip.''

Thank you, Mr. Pierzynski. The Angels will now submit a videotape of the defendant, Mr. Eddings, raising his fist in his role as home plate umpire. Mr. Mike Scioscia, the manager of the Angels and a former longtime catcher himself, will take us through the video.

"It was a swing, our catcher caught it, Doug Eddings called him out, and somewhere along the line because the guy ran to first base, he altered the call. He called him out, and that's what's disappointing. When an umpire calls a guy out and you're the catcher -- and I've caught my share of them -- he's out. He didn't call 'swing,' he rang him up with his fist and said, 'You're out.' "

Thank you, Mr. Scioscia. It appears that Mr. Kelvim Escobar, the Angels pitcher who had a direct view of the proceedings, would like to say something.

"I was right there, how many feet away. I didn't see if the ball hit the dirt, but I saw the umpire point and call him out. That's all I needed to see.''

Your rebuttal, Mr. Eddings?

"My interpretation is that was my 'strike three' mechanic, when it's a swinging strike. If you watch, that's what I do the whole entire game. ... I did not say, 'No catch.' If you watch the replay, you do watch me -- as I'm making the mechanic -- I'm watching Josh Paul, so I'm seeing what he's going to do. I'm looking directly at him while I'm watching Josh Paul. That's when Pierzynski ran to first base.''

Hmmmm. That was rather vague, Mr. Eddings. Perhaps your supervisor, Mr. Rich Reiker, could elaborate. Did Mr. Paul catch the pitch or did the ball hit the dirt?

"We've looked it at the video in the truck. We've blown it up. I'm sure some of you have that angle. We have some technology and [crew chief] Jerry Crawford saw it, also, the whole crew, and there was definitely a change of direction there. At this point I would say, at best, it's inconclusive. ...

"And since Doug did not say that the batter was out, play continues and that ball is alive.''

"He did say he was out. He did. That's the whole thing. He pointed to indicate the batter swung and then he raised his hand to call him out.''

Sit down, Mr. Scioscia! You're out of order. We must hear from some other witnesses first.

Mr. Bengie Molina -- the Chicago White Sox manager, Mr. Ozzie Guillen, referred to you before the game as the best catcher in baseball. How do you interpret the rule? If an umpire raises his fist, does that mean he's calling the batter out, or merely indicating that he swung at the pitch?

"I thought when he raises his hand like that, he was out. Now, I don't know what the rule is. I don't know what to think.''

Thank you for your honesty, Mr. Molina. Yes, Mr. Pierzynski? You would like to interject with a further opinion on how a catcher should handle that situation?

"Yeah, tag him.''

Mr. Molina? Is Mr. Pierzynski correct? Given the closeness of the pitch, should Mr. Paul have simply tagged Mr. Pierzysnki?

"No. You're not going to tag the batter or throw to first if you know you caught the ball. No catcher would do that.''

How about you, Mr. Guillen? We have yet to hear from you. What did you see happen?

"I didn't see. My head was down, I was writing on my lineup card. All of a sudden I see the play and ask a couple of guys, 'What happened?' "

What about the replay? Did you see the replay?

"I'm not concerned about that. That's not my job. I saw a couple kids in my office looking at the replay. I told them, 'Get out of my office.' I don't want to talk about baseball right now. I don't need the controversy thing.''

Thank you for your candor, Mr. Guillen. Before the court reaches a verdict, would anyone else like to speak? Yes, Mr. Pierzynski?

"The bottom line is that call didn't win the game for us. Joe Crede still had to get that hit.''

Thank you, Mr. Pierzynski. That's a good point. And now the court is ready to issue its ruling.

Mr. Eddings, the People's Court finds you guilty. The first rule of umpiring is to make your calls clear to everyone and the video plainly shows that you did not. You raised your fist as if you were calling him out, but you said nothing. Had you given the Angels any indication at all that the pitch had not been caught, they would have had plenty of time to throw out the runner. No game, particularly one with such importance, should ever end on such a play. You are hereby sentenced to umpire the next two games in the outfield, and we can only hope that you make the right call if Jeffrey Maier is in the bleachers.

However, the Court finds Mr. Paul equally responsible. Mr. Paul, you could have saved this court a lot of time and expense by simply tagging Mr. Pierzynski, who surely gives you ample time. (No offense to you, Mr. Pierzynski, but you are rather slow. Maybe not Molina slow, but so slow that it's still puzzling as to why you tried stealing a base in Game 1.) You are hereby again relegated to the third-string role, and may you hope the Angels do not sign Yadier Molina.

Good day, gentlemen. For better or worse, your series is now tied. And I'm happy to report, you will now be in the jurisdiction of the Orange County court system.

Next on the docket, the continuing case of Alex Rodriguez v. Bronson Arroyo. And Mr. Rodriguez, this court hopes you have a better argument this time around ...

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sigh.

Homer

Homer? Oh look another quote.

Fred,

The Facts: The Ump extended his arm to the right as all the other times he called "Strike" Then then the fist went up and forward "OUT!"

IF HE CALLED strike how did your catcher see it?  He never looked back!!!

"CALLED" is not only visual but vocal. Did Josh Paul "hear" the umpire calling "Strike?" and/or "Out?" You dont know that and neither do I.

Dont take MY word for it because I am an Angel fan... watch the analysis

I meant to say he never called out.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hiding?

Going to the mall now to buy the hat. I'll post it tonight.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Can you say blow out?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hiding?

Umm... no, that would be in the 1985 World Series.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hiding?

I would have to say the call last night was the worse I have seen in my lifetime.

I was 9yrs old in 1985. I was playing pony league most likely.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hiding?

hahaha just like a Cardinals fan.

Although I totally agree.  That call at first base was unbelieveable.  Right in front of the umps face and OBVIOUSLY wrong.  Although the cards were up 3-0 in that series and choked.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hiding?

I would have to say the call last night was the worse I have seen in my lifetime.

I was 9yrs old in 1985. I was playing pony league most likely.

It wasn;t a bad call it was a bad move AFTER the call.  tag the freaking runner.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/ZW17/Angelshat001.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/ZW17/Angelshat002.jpg

Can you say blow out?

Thats just so.....wrong.

So, how did it fit?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top