View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what happened to 9?

Because 7 8 9.

*applause*

That's been all over every geek tech site for the past 24 hours.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The fact that it is required to use 3rd party software for basic functionality is unacceptable.
View Quote

If ain't basic functionality if they didn't include it. Windows 8 is suppose to be different than previous versions but some people refuse to change.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate windows 8. Sucks donkey dick.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got it installed but My internet connection gets dropped every couple of minutes now... going to try update again after next reconnect

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Windows 9 is what got thrown in the trash last week.

Windows 10 = Windows 9 plus the start menu that everyone has been bitching about the last few years.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Microsoft can't count.  Case in point;

xbox

xbox 360

xbox one

Now notice Sony;

playstation

ps2

ps3

ps4
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Who cares what it's called? Call it Windows 99.9 for all I care, just make it kick ass like Win7 did.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Who cares what it's called? Call it Windows 99.9 for all I care, just make it kick ass like Win7 did.
View Quote
Hopefully that's all they charge for it too since 8/8.1 were fucking disasters.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:08:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell, I'm still trying to decide when I can risk going without my computer/having to reinstall the OS and all my programs (it wasn't easy getting a CAC reader and my .mil email to work) in order to try upgrading to 7 from Vista.

Suppose I could look for a used computer with 7 though too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Do I really want an OS from a company that can't count to 10?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:17:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Win-X, lower-left-corner menu that Win8 introduced was an absolute godsend for stuff like that, unless like me you're used to calling up the network control panel by name from the Run box. It's so useful I'm surprised it made it into the release build, it started as a dev shortcut like the old Vista "God Mode" hack.

If Valve can actually deliver on SteamOS, I can see moving to that for gaming and OSX for my daily work within a year or two. Unless Win10 shapes up a lot between now and release, I'm moving on to something cleaner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a total kludge. I've been testing on it for a couple weeks now and the Windows team really needs to sort out the "Some controls are in the old area, some controls are in the Metro area" BS.

Windowed Metro apps is an answer to a question nobody asked, they just want an App Store SO BAD.

The complete random placement of system settings / tools is my largest gripe with every new version of windows.  I can set an IP address in Win3.11, why does that process need to be revamped with every other new release?

The Win-X, lower-left-corner menu that Win8 introduced was an absolute godsend for stuff like that, unless like me you're used to calling up the network control panel by name from the Run box. It's so useful I'm surprised it made it into the release build, it started as a dev shortcut like the old Vista "God Mode" hack.

If Valve can actually deliver on SteamOS, I can see moving to that for gaming and OSX for my daily work within a year or two. Unless Win10 shapes up a lot between now and release, I'm moving on to something cleaner.

As soon as it's viable, I'm going to SteamOS and never going back. I'm hoping for a SteamPhone eventually too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:26:30 AM EDT
[#12]
From a GUI perspective I am not impressed. The flat design looks like shit and is harder to use. I have a difficult time finding a button/icon/whatever borders. This is also a problem with their new Outlook/hotmail layout. Ribbon also sucks.

They pretty much made a shitty Classic Shell. Don't see why they can not have drop down menus and Aero as an option. And I believe this will be the last traditional Windows, with future versions being cloud based.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Playing with it in VMWare now. Start menu seems nifty.
View Quote

Do you mean Workstation?  Do people really call it VMware?

Or are you talking about ESX?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:30:13 AM EDT
[#14]
WTF!!! Windows is going to release a new OS????  Man, 8 lasted less time the ME.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

From a GUI perspective I am not impressed. The flat design looks like shit and is harder to use. I have a difficult time finding a button/icon/whatever borders. This is also a problem with their new Outlook/hotmail layout. Ribbon also sucks.

They pretty much made a shitty Classic Shell. Don't see why they can not have drop down menus and Aero as an option. And I believe this will be the last traditional Windows, with future versions being cloud based.
View Quote

If I were to never hear the word cloud again...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:31:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and me. You can add most subscription services to that to, but that seems to be the way of all major software these days.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:57:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Playing with it in VMWare now. Start menu seems nifty.

I'm just talking about the free VMWare Player. No idea what people call it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:15:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Here's why it's called Windows 10 (supposedly), let's see if anyone can spot the problem.

String os = System.getProperty("os.name");

if (os.startsWith("Windows 9") || os.equals("Windows Me")) {

throw new RuntimeException(

or

isWindows = true;

if (osName.startsWith("Windows 9") ||

osName.startsWith("Windows Me"))

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:18:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm loving it so far.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top