Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am so thankful that I don't pay into it.

Railroad?

Registered Nurse for a municipality. I put in about $400.00/month into my pension. What I get back is determined by how old I am and how many years of service I have when I retire. If I retire about age 62 I should receive about 65% of my ending monthly salary per month. Toss in the IRA's and I should do ok unless the whole system takes a dump.

Retirement and benefits are one of those things you really have to look at when looking for a job. I make a less than nurses in the private sector but the benefits really make up for it especially in the long run.

Interesting - thanks.

I'm really looking at a careet change.  IBEW electrician now.

I have a ton of medical tng from the mil - my EMT-P number started with a "5" circa 1980 - if that means anything.

When I returned to the States in 1998 and 41 years old, I couldn't find a job at more than $9 an hour as a EMT-P.  The county wouldn't hire me as I was over 37 years old.

Hell, I'll be 50 in a few months, and some of the lard asses I see on the county EMS....

So I hired on as a Pharmacy Trainer for HEB (grocery chain) making over $10 an hour.  Found out I don't do well in offices full of women.  

Anway, lots of good info here, as I consider some things.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I predict 'means testing' before I retire in about 15 years.  People like me with a 401K and similar investments will be told we don't 'need' a social security check.

+1

Or at least a greatly reduced percentage since the meager 401K makes us "rich".
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I expect the system to have fallen over about 5-10 years before I could collect anything.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am so thankful that I don't pay into it.

I wonder if some people here don't pay in and don't even realize it.  I don't think my wife caught on that she didn't pay in and she was a school teacher.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell, I worry that the country won't exist in 35 years, much less SS.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Man, no kidding.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Baby Boomers will completely wipe SS out by the time the last one dies.

My guess is that I'll be working until I'm 80 at Home Depot to try to manage cost of living increases after I retire from my 9-5.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Roger that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I figure the only way I'll see a red cent of SSI money will be if I take a AR15 to the SSI HQ and rob them at gun point.............Maybe we could rob elderly illegal immigrants on the 4th thursday of the month???
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Well sounds like the chances just got a lot slimmer

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=532250&page=1
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
I'm 49 and receive Social Security benefits.  I'll get a 3.5% cost of living increase on my next check in January.  SS is a good system.  You just have to understand it, that's all.

Please tell me you are joking....hat
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top