Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Because compressed audio files sound like crap to me.

Ruh-Roh. Now you've done it.

I have to make some popcorn for the ensuing nerd fight.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I picked up a 4GB Ipod Nano today, and I'm messing with it here at work.  It's HELLA COOL!  I copied some MP3s off of a CD to my laptop, then transferred to the Ipod.  It was slow, but my laptop only has USB 1.1.  The touchpad function of the buttons is nice, menu navigation is easy... and it's got lots of cool extras.   I think this little unit will do what I need it to do!  

... now to find some accessories... need to get a docking station thing and an extra cable or two.

As for the tape and radio adapters in cars, even head units with Line In jacks:  Most will sound pretty poor compared to CDs, if you connect the audio to the headphone jack of your Ipod/MP3 player.  What you want to find is something that uses the Line Out from the player, as it will be an unboosted, clean signal.  Most of the time, the headphone jack output is amplified, which causes the output to the head unit or FM transmitter to clip, making it sound like shit.  

With Ipod being so popular, many headunits should actually interface with the device, and actually read the song files from it, stream the data, and then play it as if it were reading a CD.  Someday, I'll try to find a headunit that interfaces like that.  Should sound great!  

I have that same problem.  Congrats on the purchase!  I'm sure you'll be pleased.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I call them WHYpods.   Because I can't personally imagine WHY I'd want one.   Because compressed audio files sound like crap to me.    Because I hate Apple products.

CJ

And I call them Ipods because *I* have 2 of them. You added so much to this discussion by the way. Congratulations.

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm all for LOSSLESS compression, but lossy compression doesn't work for me.  

If you had Sennheiser HD-600 headphones, too, you'd understand why.   They tell no lies and
nothing hides from them.  

CJ

So how much does a portable CD player, these headphones and 15,000 songs weigh to carry around?  Got the picture?  Yes, its a compromise... one that works pretty well.

+1

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you ipod users are nothing but herd followers.

AHA!

Thats why I bought a Creative Zen Sleek!
images.creative.com/iss/images/products/headers/prod13599_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

Go drink your Koolaid you dirty communists....

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As for the tape and radio adapters in cars, even head units with Line In jacks:  Most will sound pretty poor compared to CDs, if you connect the audio to the headphone jack of your Ipod/MP3 player.  What you want to find is something that uses the Line Out from the player, as it will be an unboosted, clean signal.  Most of the time, the headphone jack output is amplified, which causes the output to the head unit or FM transmitter to clip, making it sound like shit.  

With Ipod being so popular, many headunits should actually interface with the device, and actually read the song files from it, stream the data, and then play it as if it were reading a CD.  Someday, I'll try to find a headunit that interfaces like that.  Should sound great!  

The Belkin adapter I showed above uses the the actual line out not the headphones. Sounds a lot better.

-d

You know what's cool?  I get 50% off from Belkin through my company.  w00t!!

It took me a minute to think about what you were doing... yeah, that sounds like a winner!  I have a couple 1/8" -> RCA cables, and my head unit has an aux in.   It won't display all the info from the Ipod, but it should play, and sound pretty good.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wallyworld has the Shuffle for 66.99

Quoted:
Awesome. I have the Nano and the Shuffle. The 512mb(120 songs) Shuffle is only $99 and the 1Gb(250 songs) Shuffle is about $130.

At my local Wal-Mart, they're marked at $69.00 rather than the $66.99 you mentioned.  They've been under $70 for a while.  I tried to buy one last night as a birthday present for someone, but it was $99.99 at the register.  The manager there refused to check the price and told me to leave since he owned Microsoft stock and didn't want to sale any Apple products anyway.  Those Microsoft people are getting more and more rude and abusive.  So yes the price is under $70, but you might have some trouble actually buying it for that.z
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
you ipod users are nothing but herd followers.

And you computer users are nothing but sheep.   It's only a fad.  Computers have no practical functionality.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I sent my Ipod Shuffle thru the washing machine and drier and it still works.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I sent my Ipod Shuffle thru the washing machine and drier and it still works.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#16]
My 2 gig Nano ran me about $170 last night and counting.

I say "and counting" because it seems that I need Windows 2000 or XP to install iTunes.

Time to start thinking about replacing my Windows 98-using PIII 650 dinosaur...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top