BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A five year old shouldn't know that his dad is carrying a concealed firearm.

at five years of age..I was already hunting with .22's and 20 gauges...mmmm rabbit....
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My son conceals his toy gun as well and knows about OPSEC.  His draw is pretty good too.

That's kinda cool.

haha...my son used to do that when he was about five...

My sons don't blink twice as I  always carry and so do most of my friends, they have grown up seeing people walking around my house with guns...the youngest thinks that people who don't carry are weird....

Opsec was taught pretty early...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't beat your kids enough.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#4]
So any trouble dropping him off at the orphanage?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
We're at the Fall Muster, watching a civil war reenactment (first one I've ever watched.) He loved watching the cannon shoot and the infantry engagement.

Anyway after a snack we're walking around and they have some booths of uniforms, etc. There is one booth of period rifles, Springfields mostly- but a couple I didn't know about. Since I own no black powder stuff, have an interest in guns and skipped a gunshow to watch this, I'm looking at the guns.

Guy behind the table is giving me a sales spiel, how I should get my son one and teach him to shoot (my son already has his own AR).

My five year old son, bless his little heart, lifts my shirt to show them my Glock 19 and says "my Daddy has a gun"
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So far, the worst either of my kids have said in the checkout line was about the checkout clerk who had severe acne.  My daughter looked at me and asked why "that mans face is all bumpy and red because it looks funny".

I apologized and felt sorry for that kid.

Gotcha beat.

My wife, my 4 year old son and I were standing behind a huge black woman in the supermarket checkout line.  He practically yelled "daddy, look at the butt on that woman".  You could have heard a pin drop as she turned around and first looked at me, and then down at my son...

She said "it's a biggun that's fo sho, my boys stand up under there for shade".  And then turned back around like nothing had happened.  

I followed her to the door and apologized to her for what my son had said, and she just laughed and told me that she had 4 boys of her own, winked, and walked away still laughing.

you bastard I cant stop laughin or cryin!

ETA OH HELL
I AM GONNA DIE
I wiped my eye, and had a tiny pit of habenero sauce on my finger
you owe me an eyeball you bastard!

speed

sorry
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We're at the Fall Muster, watching a civil war reenactment (first one I've ever watched.) He loved watching the cannon shoot and the infantry engagement.

Anyway after a snack we're walking around and they have some booths of uniforms, etc. There is one booth of period rifles, Springfields mostly- but a couple I didn't know about. Since I own no black powder stuff, have an interest in guns and skipped a gunshow to watch this, I'm looking at the guns.

Guy behind the table is giving me a sales spiel, how I should get my son one and teach him to shoot (my son already has his own AR).

My five year old son, bless his little heart, lifts my shirt to show them my Glock 19 and says "my Daddy has a gun"

Yep, gotta love that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Five year olds shouldn't get kidnapped, but it happens. If the 5 year old is with Daddy and they get robbed, he'll find out his dad is packing anyway, he may as well know it's there before that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Even when my son was very small he knew I CCWed and he was trained not to ever touch a gun unless I was with him.
He also helped me keep it concealed. I asked him to keep an eye on my CCW side and if my shirt should ride up to let me know.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How and why would you hide it? A 5yr old boy is going to head butt it, stand on it, and even punch it eventually. My son sees me disarm at the end of the day and put my 45 on the bookshelf next to my Lazy Boy as part of my daily routine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So far, the worst either of my kids have said in the checkout line was about the checkout clerk who had severe acne.  My daughter looked at me and asked why "that mans face is all bumpy and red because it looks funny".

Gotcha beat.

My wife, my 4 year old son and I were standing behind a huge black woman in the supermarket checkout line.  He practically yelled "daddy, look at the butt on that woman".  You could have heard a pin drop as she turned around and first looked at me, and then down at my son...

She said "it's a biggun that's fo sho, my boys stand up under there for shade".  And then turned back around like nothing had happened.  

I followed her to the door and apologized to her for what my son had said, and she just laughed and told me that she had 4 boys of her own, winked, and walked away still laughing.

ETA OH HELL
I AM GONNA DIE

speed

sorry

well 30 minutes later, I think I will live
LOL
christ that hurt

speed

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha beat.

ETA OH HELL
I AM GONNA DIE

speed

sorry

LOL
christ that hurt

speed

try putting contact lenses in after cutting up ghost chilis and thinking you had it all washed off your fingers.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My kids are 4 and 5 and still haven't figured out that "daddy carries a gun wherever he goes".  My 4 year old once caught a glimpse of my ccw and asked, "daddy, what's that?"  I told him "never mind" and quickly distracted him with something else.  He didn't get a good enough look to tell it was a gun.

I know I will have to tell them eventually but I'm going to put that off as long as possible.  I do fear being "outed" like you were.  Kids don't usually know when to shut up.  

I have 5 kids ages 6 - 13 and theys see guns all of the time and have their whole lives. They see them in my truck, they see me putting them on, carrying them in and out of the house, the older ones have their own. They couldn't care less about them, because they're normal everyday things, not some mystical magic object that's hidden from them.

Sometimes they ask to see one or another and I let them hold it to see how it feels and tell them about it and what it's used for. They know that they can ask at any time to see any gun I've got and I'll let them have it.

I don't see any advantage in hiding it from them. It's only going to make them more curious and I'd rather they handle them in front of me out in the open than behind my back because I hide the guns from them.

PB: I really think this approach is the best & it's the one I've used. On some days when I'm not at the office & I'll come in for lunch to be more comfortable in our kitchen chairs I'll just take my handgun out of my holster & set it on the table while we eat our meal,, company or family it doesn't matter. No one is at all bothered. Wife & daughter know I carry almost all the time on or off the farm so it's no big deal.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha beat.

ETA OH HELL
I AM GONNA DIE

speed

sorry

LOL
christ that hurt

speed

try putting contact lenses in after cutting up ghost chilis and thinking you had it all washed off your fingers.

oh hell no, I debated for about a second on taking mine out in the middle of this ordeal
I think they will stay in for a day or so!

speed

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#15]
My daughter would have made a scene if I wasn't carrying.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How and why would you hide it? A 5yr old boy is going to head butt it, stand on it, and even punch it eventually. My son sees me disarm at the end of the day and put my 45 on the bookshelf next to my Lazy Boy as part of my daily routine.

You have to blade @ 45 when he hits you.  Seriously!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I have two kids, 1 each, both age 6, yes twins and NO they are not IDENTICLE . They have never know me to not carry, for them it is no different then me putting on underwear in the morning. Yes they have asked me why I carry and they received honest answsers that were correct for the age they were at when asking... They know not to talk about me carrying a sidearm with other people, or in front of others. they also know that they are never to touch or handle one unless I am with them. They love to go out and shoot with me, heck the first time my son got to pull a trigger he was 2 1/2 and that was on a SAW followed by a M4, yes with a fun switch activated.. The only times any of my kids have ever asked me if I had my gun with me it has always been my daughter,,, she has "The blood Lust" ,,, Example...Me, Hey kids look over there in the field,,,, see the deer. Female hunter killer,,, "Dad do you have your gun?" "Yes, why?" "SHOOT IT!!!!" I think she is finally starting to get a grasp on legal game laws and that I just can't shoot geese, deer, turkey, ect when she is hungry. Yes I have also seen my to kids slide their toy guns into an IWB holsters that are not there..

Fathers are like sheepdogs.

We must be persistent, gentle, playful and, at times, ferocious.

On occasion, we must become like the wolf that threatens our flock.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have two kids, 1 each, both age 6, yes twins and NO they are not IDENTICLE . They have never know me to not carry, for them it is no different then me putting on underwear in the morning. Yes they have asked me why I carry and they received honest answsers that were correct for the age they were at when asking... They know not to talk about me carrying a sidearm with other people, or in front of others. they also know that they are never to touch or handle one unless I am with them. They love to go out and shoot with me, heck the first time my son got to pull a trigger he was 2 1/2 and that was on a SAW followed by a M4, yes with a fun switch activated.. The only times any of my kids have ever asked me if I had my gun with me it has always been my daughter,,, she has "The blood Lust" ,,, Example...Me, Hey kids look over there in the field,,,, see the deer. Female hunter killer,,, "Dad do you have your gun?" "Yes, why?" "SHOOT IT!!!!" I think she is finally starting to get a grasp on legal game laws and that I just can't shoot geese, deer, turkey, ect when she is hungry. Yes I have also seen my to kids slide their toy guns into an IWB holsters that are not there..

Fathers are like sheepdogs.
We must be persistent, gentle, playful and, at times, ferocious.
On occasion, we must become like the wolf that threatens our flock.

That's awesome. My son does the same thing with his toy guns. For a 5 year old though, he has better trigger discipline than most adults. And thanks for the sig line

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My son conceals his toy gun as well and knows about OPSEC.  His draw is pretty good too.

Ding Ding Ding!   We have a winner!

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#20]
my four year old daughter knows im packing. she knows not to ever touch it and that when she turns six she can learn howw to use it. I have left guns laying in the open unloaded and hid and let her play alone in the room to test her and even if i put her toys next to it she wont go anywhere near it.  I NEVER leave lodaded guns within her reach but it is good to know that her odds of playong with one if i ever did are slim.

When she asked me why i carry one around I told her it was for killing the bad birds and deer and that when she is big like me she can kill them too. When she is bigger Ill explain the aspect of bad people but i don't want her going to school csaying "daddy is going to shoot you for being bad with his gun"    The worst she can say at this point is "my daddy will shoot that birdy up in the tree and well cook it for diner"
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, no kids, but three nieces and nephew. One niece is in college, one is in the upper levels of high school and thinks only of her BF, and the nephew is just a little younger and does what boys do at that age (things that make you cringe).

On this subject, I suppose, it's the niece in first grade I should worry about especially since when I visit, not only am I packing a pistol, I also travel with a rifle. So far, though, nothing.

Now, there was the time when my kitten knocked an issue of penthouse onto the window sill for all to see, but that was something else.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Stopped by Wally World on the way home this evening with my son who is 5. Anyway, on the way out the door he loudly asked " daddy, why do you carry a gun everywhere you go?" I tried to shush him and blow it off but he asked again even louder. I was getting the from the door lady and a couple of other people. So I told him that it is a dangerous world and that we are responsible for our own safety. Despite having had several discussions with him about OPSEC, we had another one in the car on the way home. Share your stories of your kids embarrassing you in public.

Sounds to me like he might have a douche bag kindergarten teacher.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would you be embarrassed because your kid asks you why you carry a gun?

Honestly, I wouldn't think much of the conversation at all.

I think it was more of the fact that it was done in public..

Who cares?

Yall act like having a gun is something bad, to be ashamed of and hidden away.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:09:21 AM EDT
[#24]
My sons ( 7 ) & ( 14 ) both know that mommy and daddy have ccw on them. But yes ...the wally can be a scary place, just look around.........
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#25]
My 6 and 7 year olds know that I carry but they also know not to talk about it in public.  My dad also carries around them as well.

They have been great about it and have not mentioned it once in public.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:27:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I have always told my kids, in life there are three things you never talk about they are your guns, money, and women.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My kids are 4 and 5 and still haven't figured out that "daddy carries a gun wherever he goes".  My 4 year old once caught a glimpse of my ccw and asked, "daddy, what's that?"  I told him "never mind" and quickly distracted him with something else.  He didn't get a good enough look to tell it was a gun.

I know I will have to tell them eventually but I'm going to put that off as long as possible.  I do fear being "outed" like you were.  Kids don't usually know when to shut up.  

I have 5 kids ages 6 - 13 and theys see guns all of the time and have their whole lives. They see them in my truck, they see me putting them on, carrying them in and out of the house, the older ones have their own. They couldn't care less about them, because they're normal everyday things, not some mystical magic object that's hidden from them.

Sometimes they ask to see one or another and I let them hold it to see how it feels and tell them about it and what it's used for. They know that they can ask at any time to see any gun I've got and I'll let them have it.

I don't see any advantage in hiding it from them. It's only going to make them more curious and I'd rather they handle them in front of me out in the open than behind my back because I hide the guns from them.

This is exactly how I was raised... I think it worked well, because I never thought anything of them being around.  

Of course, it has caused me great financial loss in my adulthood.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:46:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you 100%! Exactly the same thing I did with all three of mine. And I had my son & daughter from my first marriage shooting by age 7 despite the objections of my gun hating first wife. She was ejected needless to say. My youngest daughter was shooting .38's at age 5 & worked her way up. She's 26, has her CHP & a 9mm pistol.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

Because people see it that way, unfortunally.

Such as, what are people more like to think: me, when I travel, I have at least my USP and a rifle. Are they likely to think that I'm a security professional of some sort?

No.....they will probably think that I'm a rather insecure, paranoid, gun nutty type of person.

Why they think that is probably TV shows, news, and gov't. I don't know where one would have to go in the world to find the other opinion.

So just because we think they shouldn't think like, we should be wise that they probably well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:54:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Fortunately I have not had this happen with my 5 year old.

We spend a lot of time around firearms so I think she thinks its normal to have a gun with me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:56:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 3:04:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
you son fails OPSEC 101.

+1   Make him do twenty five pushups for asking.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 3:08:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And when some nervous and jerky store employee calls the cops? Any contact with nervous police responding to a "man with a gun" call is potentially dangerous.

This ain't NY. Down here in the south everybody has a gun.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 3:08:20 AM EDT
[#34]
My three little girls know dad always carries.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 3:09:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Occasionally my dtr would wander in and watch me play GTA 3 on the PC.

One day in the supermarket checkout line she announced: "DAD, REMEMBER THAT TIME YOU SHOT THE MAN WITH A RIFLE AND TOOK HIS PICTURE WITH A CAMERA FOR MONEY? DO YOU THINK HIS KIDS ARE SAD?

Yeah, the joys of parenthood.

I rost

I can see my 2yo doing this some day.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And when some nervous and jerky store employee calls the cops? Any contact with nervous police responding to a "man with a gun" call is potentially dangerous.

This ain't NY. Down here in the south everybody has a gun.

No kidding....right now you can walk thru any parking lot and see 1/2 dozen trucks with rifle cases, or rifles hanging in the back window...
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

I wouldn't want people to know I CCW.

If you wish to broadcast to the world, be my guest.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#38]
somwhere between 4 and 6 I got that same question, and I told my kids this

"There are people in the world far crazier then your Mom,,"

The response from 4 out of 5 was

number 5 looked me in the eyes and said  

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:15:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

17000 posts and you say that?

when should they know?
when do they learn gun safety?
at what point do they realize they are DANGEROUS and not to be played with, that they are NOT TOYS and
real life is NOT Hollywood.

at 2 to 4 they should be trained to not touch,
at 5 they should be shown the dangers of Handling guns and be shooting BB guns while supervised
at 7 they should be shooting .22's and preparing to move up with in a year
my kids by age 8 were handling .38 revolvers and by age 10, 1911 pistols.and size of the hand V safe handling the sole reason they weren't into bigger weapons sooner.
5 kids and by age 10 could all Field break the 1911 pistol, clean, lube and reassemble...
and age 12 into AR's and shotguns
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top