Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A tuner.

Folks swear on the Bible that after their tune, they easily get 32-35 MPG towing 18k lbs up Pikes Peak.

ETA:  Oh nevermind.  You have a duramax,  That only applies to Cummins.
View Quote

I can't remember exactly why, something about injection timing and pulse width, but when you hook a tuner on a truck the onboard computer spits out some stupid high mileage. And it gives ever more inflated numbers the hotter the tune.

The only way to do your mileage is by hand and make sure you know your odometer offset per a GPS.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]

I get maybe 17 hwy
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.  Don't waste money on any tuner. EFI is cheaper and much better than any "canned" tuner out there.

You will need to get rid of your DPF, though.  I deleted mine at 36k and couldn't be happier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If not worried about warranty EFIlive tune 40-80HP range and it will get better MPG if you can stop mashing the giggle lever down so far.

This.  Don't waste money on any tuner. EFI is cheaper and much better than any "canned" tuner out there.

You will need to get rid of your DPF, though.  I deleted mine at 36k and couldn't be happier.

More in depth than most want to go.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If not worried about warranty EFIlive tune 40-80HP range and it will get better MPG if you can stop mashing the giggle lever down so far.

Doesn't have to be in depth.  With the Spade handheld you can buy the unit, buy the tune, and have the unit shipped pre-loaded with your tune(s).  It limits retune options since the Spade isn't a V2, but at the end of the day it's still a better tune for about the same price as a new canned tuner.

Used, that's a whole different ballgame. I  picked up my Superchips for $90.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Doesn't have to be in depth.  With the Spade handheld you can buy the unit, buy the tune, and have the unit shipped pre-loaded with your tune(s).  It limits retune options since the Spade isn't a V2, but at the end of the day it's still a better tune for about the same price as a new canned tuner.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet.
Click here
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Have '11 and '12 chevy 2500 ccsb 4wd both get 19-20 hwy.

Stock height and stock Michelins though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#7]
This place is the ARFCOM of Duramax Diesel's: DieselPlace Forum
EFI Live seems to be popular for efficiency.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tires didnt help.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:44:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Getting your rpms lower at cruising will help also.  You can buy and overdrive unit to drop them but it will take you forever to pay yourself back.  Gear vendors makes a nice unit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not anymore.   Diesel Place used to be full of accurate technical knowlwdge, but it went to hell quickly after Autoforums bought it a few years ago.   I used to be a moderator there.  The technical advice at Diesel Place today is exactly like GD is here.

The top tier Duramax technical resource, bar none, is Pat McSwain's site, Duramax Diesels:   http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/

And ditto to the advice of a good tow tune for mileage improvement.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not anymore.   Diesel Place used to be full of accurate technical knowlwdge, but it went to hell quickly after Autoforums bought it a few years ago.  I used to be a moderator there.  The technical advice at Diesel Place today is exactly like GD is here.

The top tier Duramax technical resource, bar none, is Pat McSwain's site, Duramax Diesels:   http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not anymore.   Diesel Place used to be full of accurate technical knowlwdge, but it went to hell quickly after Autoforums bought it a few years ago.  I used to be a moderator there.  The technical advice at Diesel Place today is exactly like GD is here.

Yep. Sad aint it?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had a 06 and a chip increased me to like 25
View Quote

No it didn't.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sweet.
Click here
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sweet.
Click here

Starts out a hundo cheaper

PPE's canned tuners come out about the same price ...

Quoted:

I can't remember exactly why, something about injection timing and pulse width, but when you hook a tuner on a truck the onboard computer spits out some stupid high mileage. And it gives ever more inflated numbers the hotter the tune.

The only way to do your mileage is by hand and make sure you know your odometer offset per a GPS.

Yep, my truck read high 20's all the time after a hotter canned tune.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not anymore.   Diesel Place used to be full of accurate technical knowlwdge, but it went to hell quickly after Autoforums bought it a few years ago.   I used to be a moderator there.  The technical advice at Diesel Place today is exactly like GD is here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well shit. I haven't really been on there since 08 as that's when I sold my Dmax. Glad there is a new place!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet.
Click here

Quoted:

No delete on that one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Good luck with a tune.

We're getting ready to do injectors, head gaskets and studs on my buddy's Duramax.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good luck with a tune.

We're getting ready to do injectors, head gaskets and studs on my buddy's Duramax.
View Quote

How did he blow all that up?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:08:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck with a tune.

Easy, he bought an LLY
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tires didnt help.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/20130929_114952_zps8ac84ebd.jpg

No but they look really good.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Get an internet connection.  Everybody with a diesel and access to the internet gets 25-30 mpg!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Getting your rpms lower at cruising will help also.  You can buy and overdrive unit to drop them but it will take you forever to pay yourself back.  Gear vendors makes a nice unit.
View Quote

If, or when I guess, I do the transmission in my truck, it's getting a six-speed Allison.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If, or when I guess, I do the transmission in my truck, it's getting a six-speed Allison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you have a Ford Excursion? Have fun with that swap
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell no. '03 Dmax.

It must be really broke because it only gets about 15-17 mpg.
Hand-calculated with a 3% positive offset on the odometer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hell no. '03 Dmax.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell no. '03 Dmax.

Oh, okay--that makes more sense now. Otherwise I'd think you were crazy. Will you try to do the standalone conversion and run a separate TCM to talk to your BCM/ECM, or the goofy 5 to 6 spd conversion that Merchant has on your existing one?

I blame your single stage turbo for lack of mileage.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh, okay--that makes more sense now. Otherwise I'd think you were crazy. Will you try to do the standalone conversion and run a separate TCM to talk to your BCM/ECM, or the goofy 5 to 6 spd conversion that Merchant has on your existing one?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell no. '03 Dmax.

Haven't gotten there yet. There's some other stuff on the plate first, anyway.

It does take some fuel to spin this thing. Does pretty good on the highway, but unless its babied around town it's no bueno.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top