[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I cant afford the price of cable

How much is basic cable?  $15 a month?

$53 and some change, plus tax.  thats the cheapest comcast offers anymore.

We offer "simple basic" which is ~15 channels of news, weather channel, your local broadcast and a few others for $13-$23 depending on the area.

I dont work for comcast though

yeah they did away with it about a year ago around here.  people who were already on it get to keep it, although with the standard rate increases a few times a year, but anyone else has to get the $53.49 Standard Cable package.  Their digital packages are actually cheaper by a few bucks, but still out of my budget.

I used to pay $13 for simple basic with Comcast because it lowered my internet price by $15, but I didnt have a TV
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There's only so much of the radio spectrum that can be used for communication.  Analog TV signals use up a ridiculously HUGE portion of that spectrum.. Far more than makes a drop of sense considering how rare antenna users are these days.  The space taken up by a single channel is more than they use for any service these days.

Sorry about your luck, but I'm quite sure there's a few guys here and there still grousing about the demise of UHF and Betamax as well.  

6 MHz for an analog channel.

AM radio will be next.  It's got an even bigger chunk.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a question on the switch over.

If you have cable but no cable box (just basic, plugs into the back of the tube) will I have to get a box(es) by Feb.?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you have cable but no cable box (just basic, plugs into the back of the tube) will I have to get a box(es) by Feb.?

Not unless the cable company switches boxes or pulls a fast one and tries to squeeze you for some extra money… I here some cable companies are doing this.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
TRL
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Where I work all will stay the same, you dont need a box.

Comcast is dropping channels off analog to try to get more people to go to digital, more money to be made there, and some things are easier on the company
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nobody is forcing you to do anything, you have a choice.

+1 Remember  albums, cassete tapes,VHS?

If you want to play, you have to pay.

i don't think the .gov forced to recording studios to switch to a new form of media.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Roger that, I'm getting rid of my television.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger that, I'm getting rid of my television.

Best choice going.

Fuck the TV.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
its not on the website and i have called and gone in person to the office.  the "Standard Cable" is $53.49

They do not list it on their website. It isn't "standard cable" it is less channels/$ than that. Most cable providers are REQUIRED to offer it in their contract with your city/region.

Although my guess is that youv'e never had cable at your address which means you'd probably have to pay $50+ to get it hooked up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
its not on the website and i have called and gone in person to the office.  the "Standard Cable" is $53.49

They do not list it on their website. It isn't "standard cable" it is less channels/$ than that. Most cable providers are REQUIRED to offer it in their contract with your city/region.

Although my guess is that youv'e never had cable at your address which means you'd probably have to pay $50+ to get it hooked up.

i live in an apartment building that pushes comcast hard.  its wired, and set to go.  comcast sends someone to your apartment when they find out a new renter moves in.  i have checked into every option with them.  the people i talked to at the office like 2 miles from me have said they dont do the cheap package anymore.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell me about it. Im pissed off that I cant get the new Madonna album on wax cylinder for my edisonfone.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
FREE  converter box

Echostar is planning on releasing a $40 converter box, the TR-40.

Expected to be out soon.

$40 cost - $40 .gov coupon = FREE

or just go to Wally World and get the MAgnavox box for $10
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What is this '$40 converter coupon' people keep mentioning?

Is it like the 'Stimulous Checks' or is it a welfare program you have to sign up for?

But in any event it sure aint 'Free' you paid for it (and some) in taxes.

Actually, I bet some of the money comes from the airwave auction.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember even 78 and 45 rpm recordings, as well as 8 track tapes.

Almost certainly you have an antenna problem.  It is possible that you have a damaged cable.  I would play with both of those first.  Digital really is better.  Do a l;ittle work to debug your new system.  In the long run you will be much happier.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only thing that really annoys me is that my TiVo won't work after the switch.

Your Tivo should work just fine with one of the converter boxes.  Get your .gov coupon, and get one for 10 bucks.  You should be good to go then.

How is your Tivo hooked up?

The Tivo won't be able to change the channels on the convertor box.

Unless you have a realatively new HD Tivo you're boned.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
There's only so much of the radio spectrum that can be used for communication.  Analog TV signals use up a ridiculously HUGE portion of that spectrum.. Far more than makes a drop of sense considering how rare antenna users are these days.  The space taken up by a single channel is more than they use for any service these days.

Sorry about your luck, but I'm quite sure there's a few guys here and there still grousing about the demise of UHF and Betamax as well.  

6 MHz for an analog channel.

AM radio will be next.  It's got an even bigger chunk.

The entire medium wave AM band is 1.1 MHz wide in a much less desirable chunk of spectrum.

The FM band takes up more space and is in a little better chunk of the spectrum at 87.5 to 108 MHz.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
So you're complaining you're not getting the crappy TV signals you didn't pay for in the first place?

Good luck with that.

Another Kudo to the FCC, just wondering what took so long.

Uh, I don't pay to listen to the Radio either. Why do you think it's such a good idea to force people to buy a box, so they can watch the local channels? Just another way to suck more money out of us.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything.  You CHOSE to buy the TV to get the free programs - there was no guarantee you would be getting free programming forever.  Indeed if you had been paying attention you'd have known this was going to happen 10+ years ago.

To put it bluntly you have no 'Right' to expect free programming, to expect otherwise is a sign of the welfare/entitlement mentality.

Actually he does; those that are awarded licenses to use the public airwaves for commercial TV broadcasting are required to broadcast in the public interest; which is why the have to offer free service directly to the public as well as offer such other services such as the news and weather.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I have to wonder what the average age of people on this site is. Free tv was the norm up until recently. You've been brainwashed into accepting things that would have been unheard of a few years ago. The airwaves belonged to the "people" up until a few years ago. I live in the country and can't get cable and can't get high speed internet without a satellite subscription. And, yes I still have a cassette player in my 22 year old truck and still prefer vhs to dvd. Just wait until Mr. Sun decides to eliminate all your digital toys like he did back in 1859. I would love to hear you all whine, then. No, wait, there will be no internet to whine on. This technology you've grown up with is very fragile.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:15:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have to wonder what the average age of people on this site is. Free tv was the norm up until recently. You've been brainwashed into accepting things that would have been unheard of a few years ago. The airwaves belonged to the "people" up until a few years ago. I live in the country and can't get cable and can't get high speed internet without a satellite subscription. And, yes I still have a cassette player in my 22 year old truck and still prefer vhs to dvd. Just wait until Mr. Sun decides to eliminate all your digital toys like he did back in 1859. I would love to hear you all whine, then. No, wait, there will be no internet to whine on. This technology you've grown up with is very fragile.

Nah;  Only the libtards are succeptable to brainwashing.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#24]
This change-over has been postponed for 5yrs to placate people like you. in 5yrs you could have saved up to buy a better TV....cry me a river.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
So you're complaining you're not getting the crappy TV signals you didn't pay for in the first place?

Good luck with that.

Another Kudo to the FCC, just wondering what took so long.

Uh, I don't pay to listen to the Radio either. Why do you think it's such a good idea to force people to buy a box, so they can watch the local channels? Just another way to suck more money out of us.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything.  You CHOSE to buy the TV to get the free programs - there was no guarantee you would be getting free programming forever.  Indeed if you had been paying attention you'd have known this was going to happen 10+ years ago.

To put it bluntly you have no 'Right' to expect free programming, to expect otherwise is a sign of the welfare/entitlement mentality.

Well, it isn't exactly free, an advertiser paid for it so I would watch.  The method used to beam it to my house got cut off.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Just buy a new TV.  

DO the economy a favor.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
i live in an apartment building that pushes comcast hard.  its wired, and set to go.  

Stupid question, but you've tried connecting your TV straight to the wall jack right? If your domicile is wired you can almost always get the local channels. (if your TV is not from the early 80's at least.)
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, I'll buy a new tv so the communist Chinese can build a new missile.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only thing that really annoys me is that my TiVo won't work after the switch.

Your Tivo should work just fine with one of the converter boxes.  Get your .gov coupon, and get one for 10 bucks.  You should be good to go then.

How is your Tivo hooked up?

The problem is that the TiVo has no ability to change the channels on the digital receiver.  Theoretically, yes, the TiVo can record the line out from the box, but without the ability to schedule shows, change channels, etc, it is almost useless.

Newer TiVos are compatible with both digital OTA and digital cable and contain the appropriate tuner.

I have a TiVo unit hooked directly to the main antenna feed in teh house, which then goes to a Channel Modulator.  I insert the TiVo signal onto UHF channel 14 which contains no other signal.  The modulator signal is recombined with the main antenna feed and then split a few ways (with the appropriate amplifier in place) so all the TVs can share a nice clean OTA channel selection with TiVo.
I control the TiVo from each room with COAX IR injectors and emitters at the TiVo.

ETA:  I am actually quite proud of my system.  Friends and family think I am a genius to be able to hook a single TiVo (and now another AV device on a second channel) and control and watch it everywhere.  It wasn't hard though.  Most people just don't know what is out there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yeah, I'll buy a new tv so the communist Chinese can build a new missile.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i live in an apartment building that pushes comcast hard.  its wired, and set to go.  

Stupid question, but you've tried connecting your TV straight to the wall jack right? If your domicile is wired you can almost always get the local channels. (if your TV is not from the early 80's at least.)

yeah i tried that.  i lucked out a few years ago at an apt i was at and got some stations, but i get nothing through the wall jack.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Just buy a new TV.  

DO the economy a favor.

Screw that.  I am still working off my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens!

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Personal update:  Went to walmart last night to get the Magnavox one.  They were out of all of the boxes.  I asked, and I guess they only get them every few weeks, and they don't get very many?  Probably BS since the gal I talked to probably was NOT smarter than a 5th grader.  Went to best buy and bought the one they have.  $23 after using the $40 card.  I use the same crappy RCA UHF/VHF antenna the OP does, and with that I only get 3 channels.  After hooking up the box, I got 5 channels, but lost one (I guess they are doing digital yet?).  The picture is WAY better than what I was getting through just my antenna.  Since the box I got uses the video one imput and not the coax, I was able to plug the coax from the antenna on the roof into the tv, so that I have 6 channels now.  5 digital, 1 analog.

Couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just buy a new TV.  

DO the economy a favor.

im with ya bud.  Paying off a CMP Garand with ammo, and a Canon XTI with 28-135 IS USM lens.

edit: plus i dont get an economic stimulus check, so cant spend that!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
...i get nothing through the wall jack.

Well, then I guess you are screwed. Maybe when they switch to all digital and pump up the power you'll have better reception.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#37]
for a bunch of people that bash "welfare" you all are some entitled SOB's...

ANALOG TV broadcasts were free... DIGITAL TV broadcasts are STILL FREE... they are just changing the "FLAVOR" so to speak... now instead of FREE CHERRY PIE you get FREE APPLE PIE, you just MIGHT need a different SPOON to eat it with, which the government has graciously provided you rebate cards for...

however most modern televisions have the DIGITAL converter BUILT INTO THEM... so you DON'T NEED THIS STUPID FUCKING BOX... you just might need a BETTER ANTENNA up until 2/2009 when they bump up the signal strength of the digital channels...

when TV went from B&W to COLOR, did you bitch because the government didn't BUY YOU a NEW COLOR TV?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#38]
It's entirely possible that your local PBS station (it is the only one you receive, correct?) is not yet broadcasting in digital.

Contact the PBS station to be sure.

Make sure you have correctly installed the digital tuner, that you have the power turned on, that you have your TV set to the correct station.

Here's my favorite: read a book.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It's entirely possible that your local PBS station (it is the only one you receive, correct?) is not yet broadcasting in digital.

Make sure you have correctly installed the digital tuner, that you have the power turned on, that you have your TV set to the correct station.

Actually it's Fox that's not working on digital.  Says there's no signal at all.  Works great on analog, but nada on digital.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#40]
The answer is the same: call FOX and see if they have a digital signal. It is entirely possible, depending on where you live, that FOX in your area has not yet converted to digital.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it's Fox that's not working on digital.  Says there's no signal at all.  Works great on analog, but nada on digital.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
for a bunch of people that bash "welfare" you all are some entitled SOB's...

ANALOG TV broadcasts were free... DIGITAL TV broadcasts are STILL FREE... they are just changing the "FLAVOR" so to speak... now instead of FREE CHERRY PIE you get FREE APPLE PIE, you just MIGHT need a different SPOON to eat it with, which the government has graciously provided you rebate cards for...

however most modern televisions have the DIGITAL converter BUILT INTO THEM... so you DON'T NEED THIS STUPID FUCKING BOX... you just might need a BETTER ANTENNA up until 2/2009 when they bump up the signal strength of the digital channels...

when TV went from B&W to COLOR, did you bitch because the government didn't BUY YOU a NEW COLOR TV?

Did the government mandate the switch from B&W to color or did the private sector?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Did the government mandate the switch from B&W to color or did the private sector?

Irrelevant. The airwaves are public. They must be controlled by the gov't or you wouldn't get any signal because everyone would be stepped on by everyone else. The FCC has rightly decided that the time has come to convert from analog to dgital. This conversion increases the avaialable bandwidth for others to use.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

the government is mandating the switch because the FCC regulates the airwaves...

it's the private sector that WANTS the switch because ANALOG broadcasts are eating up so much of the available bandwidth... emergency services, cellular, wireless broadband

with the relatively small number of people using the analog signals and a very simple method for those people to switch over which is being FUNDED by the government...

what do you people have left to complain about?

with FREE digital broadcast you get MORE FREE CHANNELS, FREE HD CHANNELS, and DIGITAL SOUND/PICTURE...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Ok, so I replaced the cable that was included with the antenna to a piece of coax I cut and terminated myself.  Found a slight improvement in signal.  With the bad weather we are having today though, still having a hard time.  But now, I get a channel 13-2, which appears to be all weather, all the time.  Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just buy a new TV.  

DO the economy a favor.

Ok well then you helped the economy by purchasing that fine lens.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
But now, I get a channel 13-2, which appears to be all weather, all the time.  Pretty cool!

Just wait until you get cable...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But now, I get a channel 13-2, which appears to be all weather, all the time.  Pretty cool!

Just wait until you get cable...

we have been over this.   not going to happen!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#49]
They're freeing up spectrum. I don't have a problem with that.

Any television purchased in the last couple few years will decode digital broadcasts. If your doesn't (and mine doesn't), you can get a converter box. It'll be practically free, since Uncle Sugar is giving out vouchers (paid for in large part from money earned through auctioning off the spectrum, as I understand it). Even without that, they're like $40 or so. Pffft.

Your existing VHF/UHF antenna will work just fine. I live out in the sticks and what little television I do watch is OTA with an outdoor antenna, about 30' in the air. When the time comes, I'll just pick up a converter box and call it good. When I get around to buying a new TV someday, I won't need the converter any longer - plus I'll enjoy a better picture.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, honestly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Remember  albums, cassete tapes,VHS?

If you want to play, you have to pay.

That's it!

I'm going back to dialup
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top