[#1]
Quoted:
yucky plastic coffee IMHO.

ill stick with my ILLY espresso from a DeLonghi 24bar pump

Aren't you special?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
DO NOT buy an adapter so you can use your own ground coffee.  I have 3 and they all leak, spew grounds everywhere and generally suck butt.  

This. Total waste of money. Tried and tried to make it work but no dice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The factory supplied my K cup thing is shit.  There are aftermarket brands that are better.  I have one called the Ekobrew cup, found on amazon.com, and its very good and much eaiser to use and clean.  You dont have to remove the k cup holder from the machine, and the brew stregth is close to regular k cups.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've considered getting one of those, but with the amount of coffee I drink each day...I'd need a loader as seen in the Battle of Midway footage  

Exactly why I got rid on ours. First it was a piece of shit; the first one quit workin after 3 months, the 2nd one lasted about 6 weeks. I drink a shit ton of coffee, better than a pot a day myself. The spousal unit is a 1-2 cup kinda gal, and we even got the "pack your own coffee" thingy with it. It just didn't work out for us. Too much of a pain in the ass to brew and wait and brew and wait, the large wasn't enough to fill my coffee mug in the morning.

We bought a Cuisinart carafeless coffee pot. That thing is pretty awesome! Coffee on demand, kept hot inside, put your cup under it and press the lever. Even fits actual travel mugs under it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the K-cup shaped filter that I put a spoon full of grounds in ours.    I'm too cheap to buy Kcups for a single use each.

Nothing wrong with that. Especially if you have a good ground coffee you like

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
K cup is great for small amounts.

They also provide free machines and coffee to troops overseas, so another reason to support them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#7]
K Cup?

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Bed Bath and beyond always has a giant selection

I prefer Newmans extra bold
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.coffeegeek.com./ is the arfcom of coffee. Big forums.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#10]
We have one but don't use the prepackaged K cups. Instead, we use the refillable cups so we can use our own coffee which is less expensive and still very convenient.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Marketing genius.

Lets get consumers who could make coffee for pennies a cup pay to get the same thing (only wit a slight plastic taste) for 30 to 40 cents a cup.   Lets fill the fucking landfills with extra crap while we're at it.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/

I don't even buy K-cups any more. I just grind my own beans and use the filter basket thing.

This. Although I just use a pound of store bought coffee, it makes the machine very convenient AND very economical.

I do the same quite a bit becasue I drink a lot of coffee (probably too much) and K-cups can be quite expensive when you go through them a lot.

Wally is OK on price as is Target.  Greenmountaincoffee.com usually has better deals than any store though.

As mentioned Amazon.com usually lists stores with very decent prices as well.

I miss my Bunn.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My sister has the reusable basket, and she just told me to make sure the grounds weren't trapped between the lid and the basket when you closed it.  There was a very fine powder at the bottom of the cup, but I'm guessing that was from the grounds getting through the screen.  I would get a Keurig if they weren't $90 or more.

Walmart has them for $17.95.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Keurig-My-K-Cup-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/12533811
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I've used these things at car dealers while waiting for my car to be serviced, and they''re fun. But I make 6 cups of coffee every morning, and the 3-lb cans of Kirkland coffee I get at Costco last me for months at 2 scoops per pot. No way would I pay 50 cents a cup for the novelty of doing one cup at a time.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anybody brewing tea/iced tea in one?

Yes, they make excellent tea.  The Earl Gray is wonderful
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've had K-Cups, and while they are good,  I will go against the trend and say I get a fine cup from my regular one cup Black and Decker Coffee maker with mesh basket and Starbucks or some other better blend.  

And it costs 1/2 of what a K-cup coffee costs per cup.   I will agree the K-cups are good, but when I factor in money savings, the Black and Decker, which I've had an earlier version of 20 years ago, tastes fine.

Mostly this. K cups are weak, expensive, and limited. The brew your own adapter is a messy poor alternative.

I've gone back to my cuisinart drip coffee maker.  The k-cup only gets used when I'm in a hurry now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even buy K-cups any more. I just grind my own beans and use the filter basket thing. That K-cup machine is about the best damn Christmas present my parents ever got me.

I can't ge the My K-Cup thing to work.  My result is weak coffee because the water is shot right through the middle of the damn thing and the grounds get washed up and not even hit by the water.  Hell, half of the grounds are still dry.

What am I doing wrong?

Try this fix here.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CaAjl_WG7I
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Do they still break down?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I got the reusable "my K cup" plastic thing for ours.  I use PG tips loose leaf tea in it, and it makes a very good cup of hot tea.   My wife keeps calling it a coffee machine as she makes some bitter, vile muddy stuff that is for savages, not like a good cup of tea.

She gets big boxes of k-cups from Costco, at a good price.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bed Bath & Beyond with $5.00 off and or 20% off coupons is the best deal on K-Cups.
Bed Bath & Beyond coupons never expire, they accept 2 year old expired coupons.

Costco, Sams * BJ's all sell Newmans Own K-Cups 80 case for $37.00

ETA - Someone here posted about Starbucks having a 1/2 price K-Cup sale but it ended Sept 30th.

Damn... I really like their Cafe Verona coffee.

I received a machine for Christmas a few years ago. I rarely drink coffee at home because I don't want to drink a whole pot, and instant tastes terrible to me.

I'm not a big fan of the waste with the cups but I drink coffee so infrequently at home it is a great setup for me.

ETA: My experience with the refillable basket was a huge, messy failure.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The factory supplied my K cup thing is shit.  There are aftermarket brands that are better.  I have one called the Ekobrew cup, found on amazon.com, and its very good and much eaiser to use and clean.  You dont have to remove the k cup holder from the machine, and the brew stregth is close to regular k cups.

This. I drink 1 cup in the morning and one in the afternoon so it works for me. I also use it to warm up water for my oatmeal or hot cocoa.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Yup iced tea is good in it. Get a refillable cup. 2 teaspoons of Lipton loose leaf. A big cup of ice set it at the largest cup setting and you are golden.

My kids make a shit ton of tea thought the day.  Pick up a Britta pitcher for the water supply. The filtered water will keep it running longer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been using a red solofill adapter thing for a couple of weeks. So far, it hasn't dumped any grounds in my coffee.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

yes, it works well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the info guys. I only need to make small quantities of coffee or tea at any given time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even buy K-cups any more. I just grind my own beans and use the filter basket thing. That K-cup machine is about the best damn Christmas present my parents ever got me.

I can't ge the My K-Cup thing to work.  My result is weak coffee because the water is shot right through the middle of the damn thing and the grounds get washed up and not even hit by the water.  Hell, half of the grounds are still dry.

What am I doing wrong?

I hope that works.  I'm thinking that the water is just blowing right through the grounds I put in the cup.  When the brewing is done, the center of the grounds are blown up and out, with only the very center of the grounds being wet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I doing wrong?

I hope that works.  I'm thinking that the water is just blowing right through the grounds I put in the cup.  When the brewing is done, the center of the grounds are blown up and out, with only the very center of the grounds being wet.

Are you filling it to the line in the basket?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bed Bath & Beyond with $5.00 off and or 20% off coupons is the best deal on K-Cups.

ETA - Someone here posted about Starbucks having a 1/2 price K-Cup sale but it ended Sept 30th.

I received a machine for Christmas a few years ago. I rarely drink coffee at home because I don't want to drink a whole pot, and instant tastes terrible to me.

I'm not a big fan of the waste with the cups but I drink coffee so infrequently at home it is a great setup for me.

That was me IIRC. Starbucks rewards will test you those deals to your phone.  I just showed clerk the text.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I doing wrong?

Are you filling it to the line in the basket?

Which line?  I never noticed the lines, but I usually fill it to the second, if not more.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#32]
The lemonade k cups are pretty good also.  You brew it into a cup of ice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The hell you say......
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Ours has a line in the basket, I always fill it at least to there. I've seen some that say to fill the basket completely too. It does make a hole through the middle but never all the way down.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I just bought the Mr. Coffee version of the Keurig.

Its on sale at Amazon for $55.00

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-BVMC-KG2-001-Single-Silver/dp/B004T6EK3O

I liked it so much I bought my mom one.

It only brews 8oz at a time and you have to fill it up every time....but it sure beats the price of the other machines.

And I got the reusable k-cup thing and it works great.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#36]
How expensive is it to brew a cup of coffee in those things?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The hell you say......

He'll of a lot better than that country time powder crap.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

How expensive is it to brew a cup of coffee in those things?

My last order from Keurig.com was for 96 K-cups for less than $40 delivered. Good deal for me since I drink my coffee while driving to work only. If I want coffee after I get to work, I brew the stuff they provide.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The hell you say......

He'll of a lot better than that country time powder crap.  

I love lemonade and ice tea aka Arnold Palmer.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Keurigs are the greatest thing to happen to coffee since travel mugs.

Hasn't anyone noticed that pungent taste?  I believe it's from the fact that boiling hot water is forced through little plastic cups.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm a midsize B cup lover, myself.  

I came here for boobies.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Ours worked great, until the warranty expired. Keurig wouldn't do anything about but try to sell me a new one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Try this nifty little fellas. Lets me make what I want reusing the Kcups.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/251150657924
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was me IIRC. Starbucks rewards will test you those deals to your phone.  I just showed clerk the text.

Not coincidentally I started using my iPhone at Starbucks today. Thx.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You can find K cups in the botd section in the fatties thread.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#46]
K cups are just so darn expensive, China needs to get some cloning on.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#47]
No one drinks Folgers instant coffee anymore?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've had K-Cups, and while they are good,  I will go against the trend and say I get a fine cup from my regular one cup Black and Decker Coffee maker with mesh basket and Starbucks or some other better blend.  

And it costs 1/2 of what a K-cup coffee costs per cup.   I will agree the K-cups are good, but when I factor in money savings, the Black and Decker, which I've had an earlier version of 20 years ago, tastes fine.

I would love to get a regular coffee maker and save some $$, but I am the only person in the house that drinks coffee.  I drink one cup, maybe 2 per day.  Doesn't make sense to make a whole pot when I'll be pouring most of it down the drain.

Get a French Press. I have one and you can make one medium cup, 2 medium cups, or a large cup depending on how much water/coffee you add. And it taste so much better. Also leaves the possibility of cold brew.

I do like the convenience of my k cups though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love to get a regular coffee maker and save some $$, but I am the only person in the house that drinks coffee.  I drink one cup, maybe 2 per day.  Doesn't make sense to make a whole pot when I'll be pouring most of it down the drain.

Get a French Press. I have one and you can make one medium cup, 2 medium cups, or a large cup depending on how much water/coffee you add. And it taste so much better. Also leaves the possibility of cold brew.

I do like the convenience of my k cups though.

Or, just do what I do and only make 1/3 a pot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Sam's has good prices for 80 pc boxes but doesn't have a lot of variety.For the full selection of K cups look at kenoza vending.
They are  a vending machine house that supplies commercial businesses.
Keurig got all pissy with them a couple of years ago so they had to stop walk in service. Still have the internet service. Free shipping over $75.00
Our Keurig lasted about a year then nothing. Cuisinart makes a machine for K cups. That has a 3 year warranty.Also I am told if you buy it at Khols they have a pretty good exchange policy.
Regarding weak coffee
 It's all about picking the proper blend for cup size.Italian roast will give a fine cup of coffee on the 10 setting.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top