[#1]
Release it. It's a beneficial insect.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are HIGHLY beneficial insects.  I'd let it go, so it can do its good in your yard.  Most kids grow out of the "catch it and keep it" phase by the time they hit Jr. High.  
View Quote

Yeah, keeping insects is childish.

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Well
So far he/she has eaten a fly and a large cricket
I think I'll let it go now after it finishes his plate

" />

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Catch and release.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
remove the tritium pellet from one of your night sights and feed it to him.  Give it a day or two, then begin training your new monster for world domination.
View Quote

Sounds like a good idea.  I mean, what could go wrong with that?

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Honeybees are kept--to their benefit (not that a few here would ever figure that out).  Keeping one of these (OP has to ask what to do with it) is dooming it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are HIGHLY beneficial insects.  I'd let it go, so it can do its good in your yard.  Most kids grow out of the "catch it and keep it" phase by the time they hit Jr. High.  

Honeybees might disagree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNq_DutSMdc#t=21

Honeybees are kept--to their benefit (not that a few here would ever figure that out).  Keeping one of these (OP has to ask what to do with it) is dooming it.
I meant the Bees might disagree to him releasing the praying mantis outside, since the mantis in the video is eating the bees.

Since bees probably don't want to be a mantis' supper.

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THE QUEEN BEE HAS SPOKEN!

You must post more so that I can keep saying this. Maybe it can catch on and you can surpass the penguin.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yeah, I knew what you meant.  

I was trying to answer those attempting to equate beekeeping with the topic of this thread.  Very weak on their part, as there is no similarity.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I meant the Bees might disagree to him releasing the praying mantis outside, since the mantis in the video is eating the bees.

Since bees probably don't want to be a mantis' supper.

Yeah, I knew what you meant.  

I was trying to answer those attempting to equate beekeeping with the topic of this thread.  Very weak on their part, as there is no similarity.  
My GF's father kept bees to pollinate his fruit trees and I was often enlisted to help in the harvesting of honey and moving the hives in and out of their orchard. I learned to love and respect the honeybee.

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They make a showing around here in August and don't live long.  Set him free to eat bugs and then be eaten by a bird and then you can kill and eat the bird, then poop in the woods and the flies will eat your poop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk

It's RAFIKI! Thread hijack-where can I get a ringtone of him singing "Asante sana Squash banana We Wi Nugu Mi Mi Apana?
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I caught a couple in the fall, after the frosts started, so they were dead enders.  Kept them in a divided aquarium with foliage and dumped a bunch of crickets in every week or so.  I used an adjustable screen panel to cover the aquarium. I kept a small bowl of water for each.  I divided the aquarium so they wouldn't eat each other.  A Homer bucket would work well too.

They are escape artists.  i was careless once, and had to find them in my indoors banana trees.  

They lasted for about 4 months and I got a couple of egg cases out of them.   I put the egg cases in the fridge until the spring and put them outside in the aquarium and got about a million little monsters.

ymmv.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Teach it to play the keybpards, he could be the sidekick on your very own talk show

http://www.mediamikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/04/250px-Space_Ghost_Zorak.jpg
View Quote

Beat me to it.  Hail Zorak!  Zorak!  Zorak!!!  
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#17]
My mantis is pissed!
He set up an online date with yours and she no-showed, probably because you locked her in a jar!

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#18]
+2 on the "Feed crickets from pet store"

There are 100's of millions of mantids loose upon N America alone. So no need for conservation. I usually hatch a few eggsacks a year to feed to my Panther Chameleon. He scarfs the little buggers up!

I once caught a large tan female that laid an eggsack. My daughter kept it in a mason jar with foilage. Fed it med crickets, and it lived until the next year, when it just expired. They are very fascinating to observe, and you cant beat the price.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My mantis is pissed!
He set up an online date with yours and she no-showed, probably because you locked her in a jar!

http://m2.i.pbase.com/g4/72/325172/2/137993922.ZdXafvpt.jpg
View Quote

This is a male Stagmomantis species. Where you live there are at least two; most likely this is S. limbata.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Took this one last year.  Hey Preying Mantis, wacha doin'?  Oh just hanging out

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Came to post these.  Mantis devour humming birds routinely.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#23]
This time of year it HAS to be a female, and she is dying. The good news is, as long as she doesn't get chomped on by a bird or frozen, she will lay eggs until she croaks. In the wild, the cold slows them down, and they are an easy snack. This is where you can be a righteous dude and further one of the coolest species of bug, and help them to keep the nasty species at bay.

Toss her into an Aquarium with several sticks angled against the glass, to give her something to climb on.
Screen mesh for a tank cover to keep air flowing and mold issues down. Use a spray bottle to mist the inside glass for her to drink, a couple times a day.

Toss in one or two Crickets every other day for her to whack, and snack on. Mantis make decent pets, as they are incredibly adaptive, and "Learn" somewhat, so don't be surprised if the thing leans to take a Cricket out of your fingers.

Do NOT turn more than one or two crickets loose in the tank at one time. If you buy a dozen, keep them separate from the tank, as they will attack her feet.

If you keep her fed, she will lay several egg pods before finally dying, which can be placed outside to hatch, extending her egg laying time.

We have had a couple as late season guests. Make sure to get the egg pods outside a couple days after you notice them. You don't need a billion itty bitty mantis babys running all over the house in Febuary.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:52:25 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
love it

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Teach him basic gun safety and how to shoot.

In between sessions read him "Atlas Shrugged" and play Rush's "2112" album (preferably on vinyl).
View Quote

Hmm. This is kind of how I'm raising my kids.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:58:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Give it a kiss.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:02:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Eat shit you old curmudgeon. I still make pew pew noises when playing, make mud pies, jump in puddles, and draw on the walls.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#28]
study him and learn kung fu.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In between sessions read him "Atlas Shrugged" and play Rush's "2112" album (preferably on vinyl).

I noticed this post from ugawino last night.  There may be hope for the 13ers yet.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:35:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I noticed this post from ugawino last night.  There may be hope for the 13ers yet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't kidding. Next time we all get together I'll bring him along so y'all can meet him.

I'm sorry I didn't get something up and running before the holidays overtook us. Let's shoot for next spring. It'd be nice if someone had property close by that we could maybe shoot a little. We'll see.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:46:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Fuck it. Seriously. Fuck. It.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How big a meal can this guy handle?

He seems to big above average size....maybe 5-6" long

He/She seems hungry .....

View Quote

That's a pretty big mofo.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I wasn't kidding. Next time we all get together I'll bring him along so y'all can meet him.

I'm sorry I didn't get something up and running before the holidays overtook us. Let's shoot for next spring. It'd be nice if someone had property close by that we could maybe shoot a little. We'll see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, im open to catching up with you guys any time.   Lets try for something before spring if possible.  Since we last met I've started the basic machinist program at Cincy State so I'll have a bunch of questions for you.  I doubt I'll make a career change but its something I've always been interested in.  Early Dec or after the first of the year works for me.  Maybe put something up in the hometown forum and test the water?  Either way, just let me know.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:54:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Great thread.    I fight them against Black Widows and Wolf Spiders.    The Mantis always win.

But sometimes, they weaken and die afterwards.

Truly amazing creatures.   If they were 3. Feet tall, humans would be extinct.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They make a showing around here in August and don't live long.  Set him free to eat bugs and then be eaten by a bird and then you can kill and eat the bird, then poop in the woods and the flies will eat your poop.
View Quote

"The circle of life..."
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:55:28 AM EDT
[#36]
put it in the garden, great pest control
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#37]

I was doing some work with my brother one day, and one came out of no where and landed on his back.  

I picked him off and put him in a bush, it was damn funny at the time, lol.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Pray with it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Name it "ZORAK"

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top