Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!

It blows away the competition that the masses are brainwashed to use.

Why did I take so long to wake up?

Its so true and it has been for years. The mac OS just simply works, but most people are unwilling to accept that Windows is a POS so they just label Mac lovers as "fanatics".

Honestly many Mac users are fanatics. Scary even. Yeah ther are some Linux and even Windows fanatics, but Mac fanatics are the most rabid.

It's like going from a Kentucky Rifle to an M1 Garand. You tend to become a Garand fanatic because your experience is just so different, and in such a good way.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Aren't they like 5 times more money than a PC and not upgradeable .I have a PC and have 0 issues does it get much better ?

No, that's a false stigma. Most folks who trash Apple have never used their products. Of course, in all fairness, there are some that just don't like them after giving it an honest shot. So goes life. At any rate, they are upgradeable in most all cases. Some are just a little tough to do. The "all in one units" are the toughest to upgrade, just like their PC counterparts where the monitor and entire computer is all in one case unit. RAM is super easy to upgrade in all models. Hard drive upgrades in the iMac and eMac is a tough job, but I've upgraded dozens.

Don't misunderstand me, as I use linux, os x, win xp, and vista 64 on a daily basis. They all have their pluses, but I don't know of anything better than OS X for the typical home user who enjoys web and multimedia. Windows is still the only viable option for gamers and most serious office environments. Linux is still the best choice for any type of server, firewall, content filter, etc.

OS X requires the least amount of administrative maintenance, bar none.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 24" aluminum iMac (for a good year and a half now), an Apple TV, and several iPods, including two Touch's.

My mom just got a new Macbook a couple days ago.

Neither of us has ever been happier with our purchases.  It's like it's a whole new, happier world.  Moving to Mac is like going from the US to Canada.  Everything is much prettier and cleaner when you get there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a 24" aluminum iMac (for a good year and a half now), an Apple TV, and several iPods, including two Touch's.

Neither of us has ever been happier with our purchases.  It's like it's a whole new, happier world.  Moving to Mac is like going from the US to Canada.  Everything is much prettier and cleaner when you get there.

Is that Mil Spec ?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never understood how people have so many problems operating windows. I mean, In my 10+ years of building my own pc's using windows and sometimes dual booting linux, my computer has only gone tits up maybe a couple of times, and always due to my own stupidity. IMO, most of the people I see using macs are either granola munchers at starbucks who buy them for the trendiness, or people who are literally not savvy enough to operate something as simple as windows.

edit, ipods on the other hand are fantastic. Mine's gone through the washing machine twice, and the screeen has hoppes 9 on the inside, and it still works
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't they like 5 times more money than a PC and not upgradeable .I have a PC and have 0 issues does it get much better ?

No, that's a false stigma. Most folks who trash Apple have never used their products. Of course, in all fairness, there are some that just don't like them after giving it an honest shot. So goes life. At any rate, they are upgradeable in most all cases. Some are just a little tough to do. The "all in one units" are the toughest to upgrade, just like their PC counterparts where the monitor and entire computer is all in one case unit. RAM is super easy to upgrade in all models. Hard drive upgrades in the iMac and eMac is a tough job, but I've upgraded dozens.

Don't misunderstand me, as I use linux, os x, win xp, and vista 64 on a daily basis. They all have their pluses, but I don't know of anything better than OS X for the typical home user who enjoys web and multimedia. Windows is still the only viable option for gamers and most serious office environments. Linux is still the best choice for any type of server, firewall, content filter, etc.

OS X requires the least amount of administrative maintenance, bar none.

Yeah, Macs are super easy to upgrade.  On my iMac, I just pop a little cover off that looks like a remote control battery cover (but bigger) on the back, and the RAM is right there.  You just pop one stick out, and put another in.  Hard drive is just one more step.

As for the money?  My iMac would run you about $2k now.  But, it's got a 3.06GHz C2D processor, 4GB memory, a 1TB HD, and NVIDIA GeForce GT130 512 video card.  Not to mention the all in one unit with probably the nicest 24" LCD on the market.  Pair that with the ease, beauty, fun, and productivity of OSX, and the host of user-friendly software that comes with it, and you've got one hell of a computer.  Not to mention the integrated 802.11 N, Bluetooth, SuperDrive, iSight cam/mic, etc.  Plus the thing is just pure sex to look at.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that Mil Spec ?
Oh yes.   Surefire LED lighting, 1913 rails all around, and a QD throw lever mount as well.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why most folks who are not first time Apple customers buy the base machine with the lowest RAM, HDD, and accessories and then upgrade it right out of the box with Newegg parts.

Ubuntu more secure and runs better than OS X? That's debatable, very debatable. Also, Mac has Parallels to run Windows and Win apps.

Allow me to rephrase, Ubuntu (and other Linux based OS's) is more secure than Windows, and at least as secure as OSX.  Linux also has Windows emulators.  It is easier (at least from my experience) to get games intended for Windows to work on a Linux box than a Mac.  Most of the software one would need is free, and can be chosen from a list and installed with as little as 3 clicks and a password.  Linux based OS's are also almost universally less taxing on hardware.  My 3.4GHz P4 runs Windows software through emulation faster than it can run the same software in Windows XP, and every Mac I have ever used has trouble running the OS alone.  Windows is bloatware, OSX is prettier bloatware with only one mouse button (seriously, WTF is up with that).

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've never understood how people have so many problems operating windows. I mean, In my 10+ years of building my own pc's using windows and sometimes dual booting linux, my computer has only gone tits up maybe a couple of times, and always due to my own stupidity. IMO, most of the people I see using macs are either granola munchers at starbucks who buy them for the trendiness, or people who are literally not savvy enough to operate something as simple as windows.

edit, ipods on the other hand are fantastic. Mine's gone through the washing machine twice, and the screeen has hoppes 9 on the inside, and it still works

Most folks just can't handle running as su/root all the time, and resist clicking on every fucking flash pop-up that comes across their screen.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

OSX is prettier bloatware with only one mouse button (seriously, WTF is up with that).

http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/one-pedal-car-mac-yo-dawg.jpg

Where the hell did you hear there's only one mouse button?  Hasn't been that way for many years.  On the mighty mouse, you click on the left side of the scroll wheel for left click, and the right side for right click.  On the Macbooks, you tap one finger for left click, and two fingers for right click.  What's so hard about that?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most folks just can't handle running as su/root all the time, and resist clicking on every fucking flash pop-up that comes across their screen.

I remember getting a pop up....once.  Still don't know how that happened.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why most folks who are not first time Apple customers buy the base machine with the lowest RAM, HDD, and accessories and then upgrade it right out of the box with Newegg parts.

Ubuntu more secure and runs better than OS X? That's debatable, very debatable. Also, Mac has Parallels to run Windows and Win apps.

Allow me to rephrase, Ubuntu (and other Linux based OS's) is more secure than Windows, and at least as secure as OSX.  Linux also has Windows emulators.  It is easier (at least from my experience) to get games intended for Windows to work on a Linux box than a Mac.  Most of the software one would need is free, and can be chosen from a list and installed with as little as 3 clicks and a password.  Linux based OS's are also almost universally less taxing on hardware.  My 3.4GHz P4 runs Windows software through emulation faster than it can run the same software in Windows XP, and every Mac I have ever used has trouble running the OS alone.  Windows is bloatware, OSX is prettier bloatware with only one mouse button (seriously, WTF is up with that).

http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/one-pedal-car-mac-yo-dawg.jpg

Oh horse puckey (about the mouse)!

I've never used the one button mouse. If you simply plug in your two+ button USB mouse you'll have right click ability immediately.
I always use my 8+ year old MS trackball.

In all honesty though, I don't usually have problems with speed on any machine unless it's crappy code. One of the most important, yet unwritten, rules of smooth computing is to keep both your hardware and software within the same generation. Of course Vista will run like manure on a 2+ year old PC with XP levels of RAM. Of course OS X 10.5 bogs down on G4 and older Macs, etc. My Xeon 2.4 box chokes from time to time on OpenSUSE 11.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OSX is prettier bloatware with only one mouse button (seriously, WTF is up with that).

Where the hell did you hear there's only one mouse button?  Hasn't been that way for many years.  On the mighty mouse, you click on the left side of the scroll wheel for left click, and the right side for right click.  On the Macbooks, you tap one finger for left click, and two fingers for right click.  What's so hard about that?  

That part was a joke.  It was true for a long time though.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you aren't running any standard out-of-the-box Windows configuration with Internet Exploder because it comes with zero pop-up blocking unless you have a brand new PC with IE 8.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!

Its so true and it has been for years. The mac OS just simply works, but most people are unwilling to accept that Windows is a POS so they just label Mac lovers as "fanatics".

Honestly many Mac users bashers are fanatics. Scary even. Yeah ther are some Linux and even Windows bashers fanatics, but Mac bashing fanatics are the most rabid.

serioulsy, wtf. the rabid anti mac bashers are OBSESSED with macs. I use them because thats whats i started with in the early 80's and use in my profession. Software for my equipment is still not available on the PC.  What's next, getting riled up over a search engine??

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you aren't running any standard out-of-the-box Windows configuration with Internet Exploder because it comes with zero pop-up blocking unless you have a brand new PC with IE 8.

Aluminum iMac with Safari 3.1.2

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aluminum iMac with Safari 3.1.2

Doh! No wonder! I thought it was fishy who posted what you did, and I was busting his chops!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow!

Honestly many Mac users bashers are fanatics. Scary even. Yeah ther are some Linux and even Windows bashers fanatics, but Mac bashing fanatics are the most rabid.

serioulsy, wtf. the rabid anti mac bashers are OBSESSED with macs. I use them because thats whats i started with in the early 80's and use in my profession. Software for my equipment is still not available on the PC.  What's next, getting riled up over a search engine??

Too late. There's been numerous fights between BING (MS Live Search) and Google on here in recent days.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top