BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had rotation and large hail showing on the Doppler as it came past my house last night. No tornado, but, there was a wall of wind and rain that looked like something from an advertisement for The Weather Channel that hit us.

It was not moaning, like previous tornadoes that I have heard (never seen one though). Straight line squall that must have been blowing 60+ when it hit. White-out conditions for about 3 minutes.

TRG

Rice TX had a real nice tornado yesterday.

What you think of the ones last night In TX ? No Tornado around me but a hell of a lightning show! I did snap a pic on my phone of the clouds coming in during the evening. The Cloud formation was HUGE!

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#2]

4 or 5..  scarey shit...

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yep..I have seen 3 in my lifetime.

This.  Had one pass only 1/4 mile from our house when we lived in the country and another one less than a mile that totally destroyed an RV manufacturer and probably 750 RV's sitting on the lot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep I've seen tornadoes and water spouts.........
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had rotation and large hail showing on the Doppler as it came past my house last night. No tornado, but, there was a wall of wind and rain that looked like something from an advertisement for The Weather Channel that hit us.

It was not moaning, like previous tornadoes that I have heard (never seen one though). Straight line squall that must have been blowing 60+ when it hit. White-out conditions for about 3 minutes.

TRG

Rice TX had a real nice tornado yesterday.

What you think of the ones last night In TX ? No Tornado around me but a hell of a lightning show! I did snap a pic on my phone of the clouds coming in during the evening. The Cloud formation was HUGE!

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/yesterday.html

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I live in Oklahoma..i've seen quite a few.

True Oklahomans go OUTSIDE when there is a tornado!

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Seen several spotting for the NWS.....the ones that scare me are the ones you CAN'T see.

The worst one, (I never saw), hit Evansville, IN on Nov 6, 2005 at about 1:30 AM. I was out spotting and got informed on the radio that it just missed my location and had hit a trailer park. It killed 25 people, critically injured 50+. The funnel stayed on the ground for 41 miles.

I was one of the first people on scene....it was like a fucking war zone. People were wandering around in the dark...lots of them in shock....calling for their kids....some in their underware....most had been asleep when it hit. The area had no light other than the off road lights on the roof of my jeep and a few other vehicles. It looked like a bomb had gone off....

I was working comms for the Salvation Army and the Red Cross over the next few days. I got to talking to a guy who lived there. His wife, child, and mother were all killed. This guy said he was in bed asleep....and the next thing he knew he was spinning up in the air in the funnel and was dropped into a pond.

I almost got fucked up by that one. It passed about 500 yds from where I was sitting in my rig looking for powerline flashes and funnels durring the lightning flashes: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pah/?n=evansvilletornado-nov.6,2005#PNS

Some damage pictures.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I have seen waterspouts - one time 3 at one time.  Pretty impressive.

––-

That said, had a tornado hop over the house I currently live in.  Shortened one tree by 1/2 - few ft over and a bit lower would have shredded the roof I guess.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I have caught a few here are the only pics on this computer.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#10]
No, but once in awhile I seem to be able to create similar damage in the bathroom.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]
There was one that went through Dallas a few weeks ago and did several million dollars in improvements.  Anyone see that on TV?

I still have it recorded on the DVR.  Fun to watch in reverse.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#12]

No.

Frankly, I'm torn between a) the fact I know damn well I don't want to see one (they fuck shit up, and if you see one it might
just be headed for you), and b) I don't want to die without seeing one.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#14]
In January 1999, I was sitting on the OP (Obsevation Post) at Fort Campbell, where we directing artillery fire during a training exercise, when a series of tornadoes appeared during the course of an hour or so.  The OP gave us an unrestricted view of the impact area, so we could clearly see about 4 or 5 funnels moving along.  They weren't all at once, although I do remember seeing two at one time.  We went into a check fire until they went past and then we went back into garrison the next day because one of the tornadoes touched down in downtown Clarksville and tore up a good part of the downtown area.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Ho hum.  I've seen them from tractor and combine. The most was 4 funnels at one time.
 I saw 3 funnels out my dorm room window at Texas Tech once in the 70's.
Last one was 400 yds from my house when it fell apart,(thank you, God).  This was about 4-5 years ago.
Pretty common around my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Honestly I have lived in Texas my whole life and never seen one apart from media. I've seen bad storms but no tornados.

Anyone got a Tornado experience?

I came from Eastern NM and was in West T all the time. I was driving from NM to Dallas one day and as soon as I got about 20 miles into TX the fit hit the shan and I pulled over called people told them I loved them- figured I might die.  A tornado like you read about.  It didn't touch anything that mattered though- I lived. I will never forget like the color of the sky and the wind and just how weird everything looks.  It's not like anything I have ever seen.  I've been in several hurricanes -not as scary.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I grew up in Channelview, Texas....just east of Houston. When I was a senior in high school, November 1992 a large and powerful tornado destroyed a good portion of our town. That was my first experience. Through the years I've spotted a couple of small twisters off in the distance. In 2008, a small one formed just above our house, but never came down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Honestly I have lived in Texas my whole life and never seen one apart from media. I've seen bad storms but no tornados.

saw several at the air show.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Outbreak

I was a youngin' but I only lived about four miles from Xenia at the time, and I do remember that day quite well.  Since then I have seen probably about three tornadoes, but I've never been close enough to see where it was touching down.

Fujita almost gave one of the Xenia tornadoes an F6 rating.  The scale only goes to F5.

it goes to 6.  6 is for tornadoes that dworf F5's like super volcanoes dwarf normal ones.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

saw several at the air show.

at first i thought i read:

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Tornado flips vehicles, damages Texas school

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39827601/ns/weather/
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I was inside a home that got pretty screwed up by a tornado.  I had just finished putting up the hurricane shutters and a waterspout came onto land and kept going.  It hit at Topsl' State Park near Sandestin, ran down West Hewitt rd, hit the house I was in, continued across Choctawhatchee Bay and went through Seminole.  That was a severe oh shit moment.  I think that the home would have blown apart if the shutters had not kept the debris from smashing all of the glass out.  The base structure was built for 140 mph.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Growing up in Kansas, I've seen a few.

Growing up in Harvey county, got to meet the Monster on the Prairie in 1990.

The line starting with F5 flowing across the middle of Kansas. Absolute beast of a storm.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#24]
May 4th 1977 in Sedalia, MO

I was in 5th grade at Horace Mann Elementary school...we had ample warning to take shelter...I was in the basement for art class.

The tornado hit the school & tore the roof off.

We were damned lucky no one was seriously hurt or killed.

A classmate's Dad was there early to pick her up and took shelter insiode when the sirens went off...the roof from the school landed on & totally flattened his brand new Buick he had just picked up from the dealership that morning.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Have had Tornadoes in my area, but never seen one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Nope, but we flew through the tail end of a hurricane once. Still not sure why we were allowed to fly that day, scary as hell ride.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've seen 2

One was on the tarmac at Dulles airport while I was standing in the terminal.

When the fuck did this happen?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#28]

This was just south of Denver off I-25 June 2007
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I grew up in Channelview, Texas....just east of Houston. When I was a senior in high school, November 1992 a large and powerful tornado destroyed a good portion of our town. That was my first experience. Through the years I've spotted a couple of small twisters off in the distance. In 2008, a small one formed just above our house, but never came down.

My BIL's farm got destroyed in that one off of Miller Road II. The funny thing is that three weeks earlier (or so) the house caught fire and burned, what was left standing of the buildings was taken out by the tornado. The family and my sister were just leaving Church when the tornado hit the farm. After the tornado, I asked my BIL what he and his family did to piss god off so bad.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#30]
several, one actually hit campus here a couple years back.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#31]
When I was a small kid in Athens GA I saw 2.  Don't remember much about it though.  

We see waterspouts fishing offshore all the time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I lived in Texas for 14 years and never saw one there.

Born and raised in Florida saw a few there. A white one in Ft Myers was pretty cool, it was on the airport.

Lived in Port Charlette and could see it from the house.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Lots of em.  But I go looking for them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes in PA while we were camping (I was 10)

edit- again in Sheboygan Wisconsin about 4 years ago
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Growing up in Eastern SD, we had some wicked storms.  More than one that dropped 3 or 4 tornado's and did a lot of damage.  

These pictures are from a huge storm Aug 24th, 2006.  There were i think 8 tornadoes in SD from this storm, along with more in ND and MN.  I believe 14 total came out of this storm.  The one I watched was an F3 that ended up being over 500 yards wide at one point.  It did a lot of damage around Wolsey, SD.

I took these standing in my parents back yard.  The tornado was about 3.5 miles away at that point.  It was eerie calm where I was, there was no birds or crickets chirping, no leaves rustling, no wind at all, just dead calm.  I stood out there and watched for quite a while until an F0 touched down less than .5 mile away from the house.  Then I decided it might be best to join the GF and the dog in the basement.  

This used to be the house where some friends of my GF lived.  Luckily they survived but a lot of their livestock didn't.

It's not THAT the wind is blowin'.......it's WHAT the wind is blowin.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#36]
couple in texas when I was a kid
a couple in Fla and some very cool waterspouts!
and a couple here in southern Illinois
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#37]
i was at work (large comercial printer) when one took a large portion of the roof off over the bindery and offset pressroom.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I lived just up the road from Jarrell, Texas in 1997.  I've seen a few.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Two waterspouts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#40]
No, but my grandparents and I were damn near in one when I was a kid.  We were trying to figure out why a lamp post on a bridge was torn off.  We figured it out pretty quick when we got to the restaurant we were going to for lunch and saw destroyed cars and buildings.  

That incident pretty much turned me into a weather nut.  I've been wanting to see a tornado up close and personal with my own two eyes ever since.  So far no luck...

I've not yet been insane enough to drop a bunch of money on a tornado chasing vacation.  Not going to say I haven't thought about it....
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen 2

One was on the tarmac at Dulles airport while I was standing in the terminal.

When the fuck did this happen?

Was it this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4QCsenIz1c
For everybody asking, this was taken in suburban Washington, near Dulles Airport, near the junction of Route 28 and Waxpool Road.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#42]
My dad saw one from a distance from our house when I was little but he didn't call me out to look 'cause he thought it would scare me.

I was also close to several tornadoes at once in pretty much all directions during a particularly nasty late 90s storm in DFW... and it was the middle of the night so I couldn't see jack shit, just Richardson's air raid sirens and a transformer blowing in the distance when it got hit. That was... a tense 30 minutes or so.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I've seen 4, but only been hit by one.  It was an F5 that hit Lubbock Texas on May 11 1970.

I was working in the laboratory of West Texas Hospital (ground floor of a 6 story building) when it hit.  I didn't hear or feel anything.  All I knew was that the power failed, the generators came on briefly and then they also failed.

The tornado damaged the emergency room and several offices not far from where I was when it hit, and   there were 2 bodies on the roof of the hospital that were sucked out of a 16 story office building (Great Plains Life)  across the street.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I have seen water spouts in Tampa Bay.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Seen damage from one last night. And I'm looking at storm system right now developing that has tornado warnings in Shelby NC.
Been at work restoring service for almost 12 hours today.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Never seen one actually touch down, watched several come very close to touching down while standing on the deck of the Battleship Texas.

Got to see up close the aftermath of the one that hit Lancaster Texas years ago.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Northern Indiana, Southern Indiana, Northern Ohio at Camp Perry, Topeka, KS.  The one in Ohio was the worst.  We thought we were dead for sure.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Outbreak

I was a youngin' but I only lived about four miles from Xenia at the time, and I do remember that day quite well.  Since then I have seen probably about three tornadoes, but I've never been close enough to see where it was touching down.

Fujita almost gave one of the Xenia tornadoes an F6 rating.  The scale only goes to F5.

it goes to 6.  6 is for tornadoes that dworf F5's like super volcanoes dwarf normal ones.

Erm, I don't think so. http://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/ef-scale.html

But, hey, I could be wrong.  It's been known to happen.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Lived outside of San Antonio and watched one go through the fields one day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#50]
http://www.april31974.com/

I saw a few that day ....

Wish I could say I never saw one.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top