Page / 13
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Butter in shed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Beautiful!  One of my females is very gravid.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
gorgeous!
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll have to wait 5 or 6 years for that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice Boas!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Last night Saphira shed which means that this morning the interior of her enclosure looked like her skin exploded in it.  She also emptied her bowels during the process, so she got to spend time outside in the sun getting photographed by my husband while I cleaned her enclosure.  Here she is looking stunning in her new skin.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#7]
ALL ABOUT CRIBOS AND INDIGO SNAKES!

Always loved indigos, never new about cribos.

Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I once had a baby corn escape it's terrarium and make its way into my closet where I raised rats and mice to feed my hobby (pun intended).  It slipped through the bars of one of my mouse cages that had a new litter then ate too much that it couldn't get back out.
View Quote

Hope you named it Winnie the Pooh.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I totally forgot about this thread, but am now mostly caught up.

I got a frantic call from a friend who was trying to catch a small king snake in her house. My daughter, the herp nerd, and I went over to my friend's house. Friend tried catching the snake, but couldn't bring herself to grab it behind the head. Friend's husband is a nope rope guy. He took the kids outside and let his wife deal with the snake.

Snake's last location was in their bedroom, so we took it apart. We could not find the snake. After an hour or so of searching, we leave and are 10 minutes down the road. They found the snake, so we turn around and go back. Can't find the snake, but most likely location is the laundry room. Daughter has her snake hook, and sees a cute little black rat snake, not a king snake, under the dryer. I offer to give her some gloves, and she declines. First attempt to catch the snake, and she gets tagged. She goes and washes her hands, and puts her gloves on. 2nd attempt is a success, and we let the little critter go in their back yard. They back up to a creek and 40+ acres of undeveloped land. Hopefully it grows up to be a big rat snake. My daughter giggled the whole way home, "I got bit by a wild snake. I got bit by a wild snake... he he he." My wife was less thrilled.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 1:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Probably a dumb question, but I'll go ahead and show my ignorance. Can retics move their eyes within the socket? My only experience is with BPs, and it's kinda hard to tell with them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep. In the bottom pic you can kinda see the girls eyes fixed forward in the direction she was moving.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep. In the bottom pic you can kinda see the girls eyes fixed forward in the direction she was moving.
View Quote

Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a function of picture angle.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Find a rabbit, piglet, or lamb supplier now because they're gonna GROW!

View Quote

Good call. I will go ahead and secure a source. Should not be a problem around Kansas City. My local snake FB group has quite a few people that currently keep some big retics. I’m sure they can point me in a direction.

Im pretty damn excited to have them and raise them. I know the guy that paired them and got to see them as eggs incubating a while back. The male is a Motley Sunfire Supertiger het albino…or so I’m told lol. I have very little knowledge about snake morphs.

@Bubbles can you post up some pics of you’re retics please when you get time? Also any tips specific to retics? You posted pics above of you’re female Saphira… specs?lol. Age/size/morph? She’s beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good call. I will go ahead and secure a source. Should not be a problem around Kansas City. My local snake FB group has quite a few people that currently keep some big retics. I’m sure they can point me in a direction.

Im pretty damn excited to have them and raise them. I know the guy that paired them and got to see them as eggs incubating a while back. The male is a Motley Sunfire Supertiger het albino…or so I’m told lol. I have very little knowledge about snake morphs.

@Bubbles can you post up some pics of you’re retics please when you get time? Also any tips specific to retics? You posted pics above of you’re female Saphira… specs?lol. Age/size/morph? She’s beautiful.
View Quote

A tip - if you can find rabbits starting at 8 oz, those are about the size as a large rat.  Convert your snake then.  Some get stuck on rats just like BP's get stuck on mice if you wait too long.  We got Saphira cheap because she wouldn't eat anything but rats for her prior owner, and she was knocking back 7-8 f/t retired breeding female jumbo rats a week.  You can imagine how expensive that was.  We got her converted but I had to use absorbable sutures to sew the rat's rump to a rabbit's head.  Now she eats lambs.  Saphira is a 2011 genetic stripe.

This is Tyrion, 100% SD male, and a big jerk.  Threat charges if he's in a bad mood.  If not he will deliberately back up to you, wrap his tail around your ankle, and pee.  I swear he laughs when he does it.

Attachment Attached File

Karma, platinum female.  Big girl but don't get between her and food.

Attachment Attached File

Fiernen, male platinum genetic stripe, purchased with an eye toward pairing her with Saphira (yeah we went there).  He can be a handful but not as bad as Tyrion.  This is right after we got him.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome. Thank you for the advice. Seems like a very good idea. Feel free to keep sharing pics and info about them.
Better pic. This guy slithered through his own smelly urates sometime today and still smelled after changing his tub…so he got pulled out for a rinse in the sink. He did good. ETA- this is a Reticulated Python
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Awesome. Thank you for the advice. Seems like a very good idea. Feel free to keep sharing pics and info about them.
Better pic. This guy slithered through his own smelly urates sometime today and still smelled after changing his tub…so he got pulled out for a rinse in the sink. He did good.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53193/3B7A9471-E653-4C86-BB6E-35F346EF7C7B_jpe-1988258.JPG
View Quote

Wow!  Very cool python!  Got a good measurement on the indigo snake.  He's 3'7" and now he's a little over a year and a half.

I need to get more pics soon.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Growing like a weed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Check this out
Snakes Solving Puzzles?! Snakes are Smart! | Nina Ottosson Puzzles | Creatures of Nightshade
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

LOL now if they made one big enough to use jumbo rats as feeders the retics could have some serious fun out on the front lawn.

Moving them back into the house could get sporty though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

LOL now if they made one big enough to use jumbo rats as feeders the retics could have some serious fun out on the front lawn.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

For the first time since they were kittens, my daughter's two BPs both ate the same week. Amazing to see that snake go after all that food.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Born yesterday.

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Two viable, one king snake food after culling?  Or is it just laying oddly?
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Two viable, one king snake food after culling?  Or is it just laying oddly?
View Quote

You nailed it. One was was deformed and euthanized. There is another healthy neonate out of frame, so three healthy total.
It was her first litter, the babies are very chunky. She did good!
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Very cool AZJeeper!
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice baby Rattlers!

Check out this Halloween decoration I found at a local home furnishings place called At Home. I thought it was cool for $12.99 lol

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:06:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
how about ID'ing snakes in photos, so we can all learn (?)  please
View Quote

Last one I posted was an Eastern Indigo.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Komodo Island Viper (Blue Trimeresurus Insularis)

Attachment Attached File

Bush Viper, Squam, has many common names(Atheris squamigera)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Very cool AZJeeper!
View Quote

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good call. I’ll add the type of snakes in my pics from now on. If you have any questions about a specific snake or picture posted here, feel free to ask. We are glad to help.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, today sucked.  Gravid Tarahumara had her litter - 12 neonates, 11 were stillborn, the other was kinked.  The king snakes got lucky.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 3:27:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well, today sucked.  Gravid Tarahumara had her litter - 12 neonates, 11 were stillborn, the other was kinked.  The king snakes got lucky.
View Quote

So sorry to hear that Bubbles.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Many years ago I bought a baby Burmese Python.

He would fit in my top shirt pocket and look around with just his head out.

When he was around 6 feet long he decided to have my left index finger for lunch.

I couldn't dislodge him and smacked him in the face with coat hangar until he let go.

He was very soon rehomed with a coworker who expressed interest.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Many years ago I bought a baby Burmese Python.

He would fit in my top shirt pocket and look around with just his head out.

When he was around 6 feet long he decided to have my left index finger for lunch.

I couldn't dislodge him and smacked him in the face with coat hangar until he let go.

He was very soon rehomed with a coworker who expressed interest.
View Quote

Hhmm

Alpha in a snake thread
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

As an FYI the easiest way to break the food response on a constrictor snake is to put a drop of white vinegar on its nose/mouth.  It's not harmful and that snake will lose all interest in biting anything for a good long time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sucks.    how old are the pair?
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sucks.    how old are the pair?
View Quote

The female is a 2013 and it was her first litter.  The male is a 2012 and has been bred at least three times successfully to other females over the years; two with his prior owner, once two years ago with a female littermate of my other female, and she dropped 8 healthy babies plus a few slugs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Any advice for getting really stuck shed to come off?

My female viper boa just shed and most of it came fine however the top of her head is still stuck. Eye caps are off, just the top of her head.

These snakes have really thick skin and rough scales. Quite different than other snakes. They are also very aquatic. They spend probably 80% of their time in water. They will spend days soaking and then randomly spend a few days drying out…then back in the water. Of course I’ve soaked her several times…even though they soak a lot anyway lol.
I tried to gently rub it with my fingers after a long soak to see if it was helping. Still stuck. Not real sure what to do at this point.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My female viper boa just shed and most of it came fine however the top of her head is still stuck. Eye caps are off, just the top of her head.

These snakes have really thick skin and rough scales. Quite different than other snakes. They are also very aquatic. They spend probably 80% of their time in water. They will spend days soaking and then randomly spend a few days drying out…then back in the water. Of course I’ve soaked her several times…even though they soak a lot anyway lol.
I tried to gently rub it with my fingers after a long soak to see if it was helping. Still stuck. Not real sure what to do at this point.
View Quote

Usually a lukewarm wet paper towel and a dry nitrile or latex glove will work to get stubborn stuck shed off. If it is purely cosmetic I would just leave it and soak her when she is in blue next and it should come off when she sheds.

Edit: What type of viper boa? I really want to get some high expression reds.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Humidity is your friend. We give my daughter's BPs a bath in a bathtub when they have a bad shed. Skin usually comes off pretty easily, and they don't seem stressed out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I prefer a warm damp terrycloth towel over a paper towel, they hold up to more rubbing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Usually a lukewarm wet paper towel and a dry nitrile or latex glove will work to get stubborn stuck shed off. If it is purely cosmetic I would just leave it and soak her when she is in blue next and it should come off when she sheds.

Edit: What type of viper boa? I really want to get some high expression reds.
View Quote

I have 2, A Male/Female pair. One has a yellow belly, the other has a red belly.

Their care requires high humidity and a large water bowl for them to soak. They are basically a water snake. So humidity is always high and they soak a LOT. Like 70-80% of the time they are in water.

The problem is that they sit in their water bowls with just their heads poking out of the water. Their heads are dry a lot. I’ll post whatever random pics I have on my phone of them.

So far I have soaked and rubbed at the stuck shed a few times with my fingers/hands. I’m not sure a towel of any kind will help.

Their skin is nothing like Boas or BPs. Stuck shed on those guys is a simple task. This is an entirely different beast lol
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This pic of her in the water is right after her shed. This is as bright/colorful as she gets.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#47]
First 3 pics are of the female. You can see her stuck shed in the first pic. The others are of her soaking when I pulled her out to inspect.

The last pic is of my male. You can kinda see his red belly.

ETA- one last pic of the male chillin in his water dish.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Best image I have from a passing through visitor (I hope). I contacted the county's game warden and sent her the jpeg you see here, she first thought it to be a timber rattler but was not sure so she sent   the   image   to   various colleagues in other parts of the state. It took her about a week to get back to me with what their conclusion was.
The hight of the stone wall is about 20 inches.
What is you opinion?

eta: this is in the Catskill, NY

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Is this you’re pic? I feel like I’ve seen this pic before with a very similar story.

I think everyone determined it was a Dumerals Boa
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is this you’re pic? I feel like I’ve seen this pic before with a very similar story.

I think everyone determined it was a Dumerals Boa
View Quote

Yes on both of your comments. I guess once a Dumerals Boa always a Dumerals Boa.

It is the only snake jpeg I have and this forum has 1000's of snake jpegs, many often of the same snake...

Thanks again

eta: has not been seen since then
Page / 13
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top