BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is the market really this big ? Sounds like easy money for AR manufacturers.

"We are entering the $1 billion market for long guns"

Sure, that is spent daily in the EE by AR15.com members
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw a picture of it on AR discussions...

I can't find it...

It's just an AR-15 with a S&W logo, nothin' special...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only thing that would make me buy one is if they made the lowers and uppers out of their Scandium material.  I'm thinking a super lightweight carbine without having to resort to polymer receivers.  

That would be impressive if they can work out the metalurgical issues for the component sizes, although I don't know about the barrels. Are the bbl on the shortie revolvers scandium? I think not, and the barrels on an AR are one of the heaviest parts. However I could be wrong, I don't own a S&W wheelgun.

The frame and barrel shroud are Scandium alloy aluminum. The barrels are stainless. The cylinders are titanium.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Great.... Now if we can only get Ford to make an AR15 and Sony to make a 1911 the circle will be complete... What a joke....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1200 to 1700 bucks?

Must be made out of an even newer alloy, unobtanium.

OK...that's the hardest I've laughed all day!!  

HH

++

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 Here we go, complain about manufacturers ignoring gun owners and every time something new is introduced, ARFCOMers crap on them.  I'm no fan of S&W but am glad they are creating new products for the gun market.

+1 except I like S&W products.

We should be hailing the entry of a new AR15 rifle, especially from a company that has longevity in the industry.  What, you complainers think we'd be better off with fewer companies making them?  More competition means companies will be driven to provide better products and cheaper prices.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#7]
This reminds me of the ATV Sport industry a few years back.  All the traditionalist bitched about the "new" four-stroke engines and quads coming out... and then in the same sentence bitch that the industry is ignoring ATV racing and sport quads.  Now look at that industry, its freaking booming.  

A lot of you guys whine about the industry "hating" the evil black rifle and then bitch when a company steps forward and releases something new.  

~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if it comes with that stupid lawyer lock in the side of the reciever.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
No just the price.

Others can do it for less for the same quality, or thereabouts, why not the big guys.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
any idea how well the 1911 model they make has sold?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Why all the playa hatas.  Don't hate the players.  Hate the game.  You can be sure that S&W will be certain to deliver a quality product since that is what would be expected of them by the shareholders.  We're not talking about some mom & pop type operation getting into the market (which I'm sure for whatever reason there would be a lot less bitching about if it were).  They will make a good product, just like they do with many of their other current models.  I personally would love a scandium 1911 and think a scandium AR15 would make some of the other AR manufacturers worry a little.  Granted, it would probably cost a fortune, but there is a market for everything.

Also, we should note the repeated use of the term "Sporting" in their press release.  What better than to have a company with the kind of backing S&W has to help the AR15 continue to emerge as a sporting rifle?  "Engineered to meet the needs... sporting shooters" - FhukinA man.  "Initial shipments of both rifles are expected to begin concurrent with SHOT Show and will be distributed initially to law enforcement agencies for test and evaluation AND (notice they say AND, not THEN) to the sporting goods distribution channel.  The M&P15 will carry a suggested retail price of $1,200, while the M&P15T will retail for $1,700."  We all know that MSRP means absolutely nothing.  Just look at BM & Colts.  Dealers sell easily 10 - 20% below MSRP, unless the demand is FAR greater than the supply  This will pan out quite nicely.

It also notes 2 important things:

1) "The M&P15 rifle series is produced entirely in the United States under manufacturing alliances with several American companies."  Still worried that it's going to suck???  We can be sure that a company like S&W has thoroughly researched this market and know who do work with for quality & reliable parts.

2) "The M&P rifle series is based upon a combat-proven design and incorporates a full set of standard features currently unmatched in other AR-15-type tactical rifles."  This is what I gotta see.  Unmatched???  That's a bold statement.  I cant wait to see it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No just the price.

Others can do it for less for the same quality, or thereabouts, why not the big guys.

Because the big guys have umteen thousand employees salaries, pensions, 401K, countless benefits, marketing and legal departments, you name it.  It dwarfs the little guys.  

R&D went into this whole project that could have unthinkable costs (or not)  The time and money that they spent on hiring people just to think about and conceive the whole idea and then bring the idea to thruition... those guns won't be making S&W much money in ths short term.

I know it takes nearly $1 Billion dollars in R&D for any given pharmaceutical product before the FDA will approve it for marketing in the USA.  THat's right.  The FDA is the MAIN reason drugs cost so much, however they do serve a valuable purpose.  Where am I going with this?  Here's where I'm going with this.  Bill over the hill can build be an identical set up to what S&W will be offering and for about $200 less.  Which would you buy?  I go to the one where if I have a problem, I know there are numerous levels of higher authority than can be dealt with to get the problem resolved without having to bankrupt Bill from over the Hill with a letigous trial... yuck!  Just sell me a nice gun that I won't have to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No just the price.

You have no idea what the actual price of these will be.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Specs provided by S&W
Semi-automatic AR-15 type rifle
Gas operated
Removable flat-top (handle)
Adjustable rear sight
Adjustable front post sight
16” chrome-lined barrel
Chrome-lined bolt carrier and gas key
Additional (side) front sling swivel
Chambered caliber: 5.56mm NATO
Rifle twist: 1 in 9”
Flash Suppressor: A2 Military
Stock: 6 position CAR stock
Capacity: 30 round magazine
Trigger: Single stage - Pull: 7lbs (approx.)
Upper/Lower Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
Finish: Black Coat Anodized
Length: 35” extended, 32” compacted
Weight: 6.74lb
Hard case

The dope on the 10-8 Forums is that the components are from CMT. Not sure if assembly will be done by CMT or in-house by S&W.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
wonder if they will release lowers only.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I want one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No just the price.

You have no idea what the actual price of these will be.

+1 with 1200 and 1700 MSRP
Im gonna guess 900 and  1250  in store prices  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Why enter a market with so many competitors? They really think a bunch of gay rails and crap on their handguards are going to differentiate them?

Maybe they want to try and avoid this...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:54:50 PM EDT
[#19]
If they can make money with it, then more power to 'em.  Especially considering they're made here instead of China.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I see that they have already screwed up by offering it in a 1:9 twist rather than the 1:7 twist. That will make use with the 75/77 gr heavies a hit or miss thing. Otherwise, it looks ok.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:48:18 AM EDT
[#21]
A bayonet lug, telescoping stock, and flash hider? Its good to see S&W going all-out instead of sticking with neutered designs like Colt's civilian line.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:49:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm betting the S&W AR15's will be as good or better quality than the Colt AR15. It's good that there is a second high-quality option on the market now. (ducking for cover now)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Why enter a market with so many competitors? They really think a bunch of gay rails and crap on their handguards are going to differentiate them?

Check the AR15 forum.

There are people who have spent THOUSANDS on "gay rails and crap".

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:56:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Just another company that buys forgings and parts from the manufacturers then puts their name on them and charges an arm and a leg.

Actually a lot of folks in the gun buisness by forgings and parts from Smith and Wesson....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:57:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only thing that would make me buy one is if they made the lowers and uppers out of their Scandium material.  I'm thinking a super lightweight carbine without having to resort to polymer receivers.  

That would be impressive if they can work out the metalurgical issues for the component sizes, although I don't know about the barrels. Are the bbl on the shortie revolvers scandium? I think not, and the barrels on an AR are one of the heaviest parts. However I could be wrong, I don't own a S&W wheelgun.

The barrels are indeed made of the light alloys, but they have steel sleeves that actually have the rifling because those alloys cannot be rifled.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:58:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I am happy to see a major US manufacturer introducting a black rifle.  

More competition in the market = consumer wins

More completely legal firearms on the street = Sarah Brady loses

Sounds like a win/win to me!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The barrels are indeed made of the light alloys, but they have steel sleeves that actually have the rifling because those alloys cannot be rifled.

It's the other way around. The barrel is made of steel and the sleeve surrounding the barrel is made of alloy. I think that's what you meant anyway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:05:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't think the challenge is in whether or not the new wonder materials can take a rifling or not.

It's whether the alloys can hold up to the high pressure/temperature gasses acting against them which will likely errode the hell out of them in short order.     A 223Remington in such materials likely acts like a 300RUM in regular steel barrels, chewing up the throat and killing rifling in short order.

Easier to just use a barrel liner of known quality steel that behaves as desired, then put a barrel shroud of sorts around it in whatever wonder material you fancy.

If I remember correctly, scandium has protective finishes on it to try to protect it from not just corrosion but the abrasive effects of hot gasses from combustion.

If I can flame cut the hell out of my steel framed M27 and my M29 with healthy charges of Blue Dot, the Scandium likely takes a hell of a beating.   Notice the steel insert placed in the top straps of the 329s above the barrel/cylinder gap in an attempt to curtail those effects.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the challenge is in whether or not the new wonder materials can take a rifling or not.

I heard you can't rifle tintanium or scandium.  not a fact, just what I heard.

And if they made a scandium AR15, regular barrel or not I would buy one.  period.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:06:30 AM EDT
[#31]
The more manufacturers produce AR15's, the more exposure EBR's get, the more new shooters will be interested in using them, the stronger your position becomes. Don't complain so much...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:29:31 AM EDT
[#32]
tag.  You idiot pessimistic neigh-sayers need to STFU.  Any new competition to the market is a good thing.  Keeps production and quality levels good for the consumer.  (not to mention is this particular case a huge slap in the face to the anti's)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#33]
If [insert your favorite brand here] was the only one to make AR's, yours wouldn't be very special anymore, would it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#34]
S&W is trying to make a run at Glock.  They are releasing the new M&P line of pistols (which I hear are pretty nice) and now they are adding an AR also.  I would say they are targeting law enforcement sales to try to win back some of the market.  I for one, hope that they have much success.  

I can't see how this could be anything but good for all of us if S&W succeeds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:10:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I think this is good news. As long as they don't put a lawyer lock on it. The market for the AR15 is larger than the club here at ar15.com - so I suspect they will compete well enough with Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt, and Rock River Arms.

GL
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#36]
The important question: Will it be marked "Caution, Capable of firing with magazine removed" ?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
rumor is flying around that its a CMT parts gun.

The whole project is the left-over from the S&W SASS competetion entry. They didn't get the contract, so now they're expanding it into the civlian market.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I just saw the article last week. The guns look well done.

At least the author said he fired 4500 rounds. That beats the usual "It went 100 rounds without a hickup" type review.

It seams odd to me that it is named and marked M&P because if the military actually used it they would surely require that the non-mil-spec "M&P" would have to go.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I just saw the article last week. The guns look well done.

At least the author said he fired 4500 rounds. That beats the usual "It went 100 rounds without a hickup" type review.

It seams odd to me that it is named and marked M&P because if the military actually used it they would surely require that the non-mil-spec "M&P" would have to go.

They don't specify "US Military"
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I went through the S&W Armorer's School back in '02. We were told in the class that S&W makes alot of things for different companies.

At the time they machined:

Slides and Frames for KIMBER. (ie.. at the time Wilson Combat got their slides and frames from KIMBER.)
Barrels and Receivers for the Remington 870 (how many 870's are out there?)
Receiver Tubes for the Remington 700 (and that is what a Remington 700 is...a tube)

They may have made more products for more company's, but those few are all we discussed in the class.

What Smith and Wesson is doing is far better than what the MIGHTY COLT and the PISSEY H&K are doing for the civilian shooters. I don't like Smith and Wesson's products that much, and I am forced by dept. policy to carry one on duty, but I say WAY TO GO S&W for producing the M&P AR. FNUSA and SIGARMS have answered the call as well. They will get alot of future business.

O.K..... I'll shut up now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#43]
My .02$ after my INTEL from the S&W Shotshow unvailing (which I heard got a yawn): S&W sees a large market and they HAVE the capacity of fulfilling GOVT, like FEDERAL MILITARY, purchase orders. Why else would they set the price point so HIGH?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top