Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Played it and loved it. It was like rugby with street rules. The game definately help define who was who.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to also call it kill the carrier. We sometimes played it on the cement surface....... come and play if you got the guts pansy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah we called it that or "Kill the guy" (with the ball)
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was a requirement that if you are a guy growing up in the United States you MUST play that game. I remember some sort of horrible punishment for not playing it, but I forgot what it was.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah!
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never heard of it.  

Born in '83.  Go figure.  

Born in '85 and I played it!

That's heartening.  I mean, I credit that game into makin me stop crying about alot of stuff I have to deal with with my kids now.......I live in  rural area, and, most kids here are shitheads.  I won't have my kids playing with them...In my time, there were mostly good kids...Though, we were bent on realy driving other kids into the ground if they had the ball.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Oh yeah we called it that or "Kill the guy" (with the ball)

We did that variation a few times. So funny...."Smear the Queer" is what I remember, but

Kill-the-guy-with-the-foot-ball

I remember too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought it was a requirement that if you are a guy growing up in the United States you MUST play that game. I remember some sort of horrible punishment for not playing it, but I forgot what it was.

I was worse than not playing.....But, I, like you, can't recal that it was ever detailed to me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
All the time...loved that game!
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
All the time...loved that game!

Lemme guess...60's baby?  lol...I'm finding most peeps that played were 60's babies.

Though there have been 80s peeps too.....

I think the golden age was in the late 70's
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My favorite game too. We also called it "redneck soccer".
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My favorite game too. We also called it "redneck soccer".

Never heard that term.  

Fitting, though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never heard of it.  

Born in '83.  Go figure.  

Born in '85 and I played it!

born in 81 and played it but i dont remember calling it Smear the queer.

just pretty much wallop the guy with the ball,

Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
The Neutral Observer remembers "Smear the Queer" and the phrase "Nigger Pile".

Anyone else ever play bicycle polo?

Football helmets and pads, bicycles, croquet mallets, and a croquet ball.  Pretty much anything went; the only rule was that you had to hit the ball into the opposing teams trash can (turned on it's side), and if you hit the ball out of bounds, the other team got to toss it back onto the field.

Damn!  That fucking croquet ball hurt like hell when it smacked into your ankle.  Road rash was an accepted part of the game.

It lasted until someone launched a ball through a car window.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Me!  It was a blast.  Of course, we had no idea what a "queer" was.  We just knew he had to be smeared.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Me!  It was a blast.  Of course, we had no idea what a "queer" was.  We just knew he had to be smeared.

We knew........More smearing.

Not alot of enlightendness in costal NC in the late 70s.

I had to walk to Moorehead City, over the big bridge to get to THE cinema.

1 screen.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh yeah
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I was in gradeschool in the early 80's in SoCal.  We were still playing Smear the Queer and calling it a Nigger Pile.

We also played this kickas game called British Bulldog.  Took a lot of guys to get working, but that one another fun and violent game.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I was in gradeschool in the early 80's in SoCal.  We were still playing Smear the Queer and calling it a Nigger Pile.

We also played this kickas game called British Bulldog.  Took a lot of guys to get working, but that one another fun and violent game.

Cool info.  I had no idea.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Dislocated our football coach's shoulder playing that. Great fun on a slope in the mud.

CW
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#23]
it was a good game..got the scars to prove it ....

they should make that a reality TV show, I'd watch it
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I was trying to tell my Girlfriend about it the other day!!!!

She questioned it as to making me hate fags. I told her that I don't hate them, just dislike and feel uncomfortable around them, and I think they just want attention!
That and Dodge ball were awsome in elementary school!
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
it was a good game..got the scars to prove it ....

they should make that a reality TV show, I'd watch it

+1
I'd be rivited to celebrety STQ.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
that game was awesome.

yup
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#27]
We played it.  Then the school stopped letting us because it was too rough and somebody might get hurt.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
We played it.  Then the school stopped letting us because it was too rough and somebody might get hurt.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I did.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Ahh, brings back good memories.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 1:49:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I remember it.  our gym teacher used to have 'foot ball units in highschool...ended up playing fuck the freshmen where it was just smear the queer only trying your best to kill someone who was small weak and working on the whole puberty thing.

great times...tell you the truth I don't even remember the game all to well just pounding into each other.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 1:52:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Oh hell yeah!  and I'm talk'n late 50's early 60's.    
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 2:50:44 AM EDT
[#33]
In the early 70's it was " Kill The Carrier " .
We played it in a fenced basketball court paved with
rough asphalt .

It's a right of male passage , like BB gun fights and
other rituals of pain

Times have changed , my Son who is at that age now
dose the WWE thing in the back yard with his buddy's .
It freaks my Ex out She can't understand it  . So I try
to explain that while there is a remote possibility of serious
injury/death that’s not the intent , and the players understand that .

Sure I worry and don't want him to get seriously hurt , but I also
know that he will be better off learning the boundaries now .
Instead of standing on the sidelines with the girls and Metrosexuals
in training .
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:26:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I was born in 1970 and played it in the late 70's.  It was smear the queer then, and that was in Northern Alberta, Canada!

Dez
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:30:40 AM EDT
[#35]
What do they call it now?

Smear the kid with two mommies? Smear the kid with two daddies? Smear the kid who wears his sisters clothes? Smear the kid who watches Lifetime?

I know they can't use the word queer anymore, because somehow sticking it where it don't belong is no longer queer

That game is great. Red Roverr was a good one as well. Knocking girls down with a solid forearm.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:35:14 AM EDT
[#36]
First time I ever heard a bone break.....it wasn't mine. It was the kid from two houses down. We piled on him...all 10-12 of us. My head was right next to his shin when I hear his femur break....sickening sound followed by Chris screaming.

Great game, good times.....Chris in a cast for the next few months...then crutches for a long time.
We still played and only wound up with fat lips, bloody noses, bruises and minor injuries. After Chris broke his leg, we ruled out more than 4 people in a monkey pile.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That was the name of the game.....Toss the ball untill the "Queer" got it...And that guy ran around like a putz until he gave up the ball.

I credit that game to makin me a tougher guy.  Certainly taught me how to break tackles.

Did you call it differnt things?

Yep, played it. We also called it "Kill the man with the ball". It's a good thing that we didn't have anybody playing it that took things literally.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#38]
We played it all of the time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Awesome game.  Some local kids still play.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:44:28 AM EDT
[#40]
My mom was quite pissed at the number of pairs glasses that I broke playing that game.  You haven't lived unless you played.  Although I can't imagine it has the same name any more
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:05:52 AM EDT
[#41]
I think some form or another of Smear the Queer spontaneously erupts wherever you have more than 1 boy.

Man, I loved that game! Dodgeball was a close 2nd.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:10:50 AM EDT
[#42]
We called it "Kill the guy with the ball".     simple and descriptive....    Our neighborhood's game of choice along with dodgeball and throwing dirt-clods at each other!  Those were the days....today's soccer moms would have a heart attack
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:14:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You haven't lived unless you played.  Although I can't imagine it has the same name any more

True.  It's probably called "physically incapacitate the gay, lesbian, or transgendered biped" these days if it's played at all.

I never suffered permanent damage, though how is beyond me.

There was another "game" I'm sure others played as well where one kid would get up on another kid's shoulders (worked best if the kid doing the carrying was a grade ahead of you; bigger and all you know).   Get a group together doing this and then everyone runs around beating the hell out of each other and trying to knock everyone else off the other kid's shoulders.  Of course the "mules" were simultaneously kicking and punching the other "mules".  If you got knocked off you only had to fall 4 or 5 feet where you were promptly trampled.

No "touchy-feely" games for us, thank you very much.  Our fun was brutal, psychopathic, and designed to inflict as much pain as possible like children's games are supposed to!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:15:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I was born in '59 I don't remeber it being called 'Smear the Queer' per se, I just remember a more or less school sanctioned brawl where someone always ended up bleeding or injured.

Hell I remember the game always had quite an audience of teachers and coaches who would laugh their asses off at some poor assholes misfortune, of course this always egged us on to play harder!!!...

ETA: Yeah I can't help but feel that kids in general were much tougher back then....
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
We called it the same thing. If you threw the ball away before you got tackled, you got it anyway.

+1

Shok
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Kind of like Kick the can provided many bruised shins and a few knee injuries.

I forget the details, but I remember the result was rushing the kid who had his foot on the can and trying to kick it out from under his foot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
That was the name of the game.....Toss the ball untill the "Queer" got it...And that guy ran around like a putz until he gave up the ball.

I credit that game to makin me a tougher guy.  Certainly taught me how to break tackles.

Did you call it differnt things?

I used to love that game.  And there was always the kid who somehow fumbled everytime just before he got hit.  So we would still hit him anyways, you know out of respect for the game.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#48]
We called it "kill the man with the ball" and the best times I had playing it were in Augusta, GA, on the frozen red clay in January.  Got a huge fat lip...  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:35:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What was even better/worse was when the "queer" got caught with the football by somebody and everyone quickly gathered around to pounce on the all-too-suspecting victim and while doing so we were all screaming "NIGGER PILE."  Not that we even had a clue as to what we were saying.

There was no politically correct mindset when you were 8 yrs. old in the 70's.

No kidding there, no offense to any ARFCOMER but I remember singing "Catch a Nigger by the toe -- enie, mene, mighty moe" in SCHOOL!

Patty

Oh god I forgot about that one!  Misguided youth I was.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I think some form or another of Smear the Queer spontaneously erupts wherever you have more than 1 boy.

Most likely.  From a purely anthropoligical perspective?  Hmmm...let's see: a group of young males banding together to practice pummeling a lone victim (in this case the unfortunate queer ) who is desperately trying to escape, heh-heh.  No doubt provides real life experience in why it's better to be the aggressor than the victim!  Or, if one IS the victim, it provides excellent practice in how to run like hell!  

One must keep in mind however, that all parties enter into the game voluntarily and everyone who plays gets much experience at being both the numerically superior aggressor and the outnumbered victim, skills that will be used over and over in adulthood in virtually all social and work related environments.*

*I am not an anthropoloigst, I did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I fear my dain may have been bramaged by the game in question.
[Edited for spellink errirs]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top