BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Stryker has better crew survivability than the [red]Bradley[/red] - let alone the M113.
View Quote

Huh?
Please explain this one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stryker has better crew survivability than the [red]Bradley[/red] - let alone the M113.
View Quote

Huh?
Please explain this one.
View Quote

Simple.  There are rounds that can penetrate and disable the M2 / kill its crew that WILL NOT do the same to the Stryker.  No, I don't have a link.  NO I absolutely will not give details.

Just take the actual serving soldiers there right now's response to the M113 crap as evidence that the war-geek naysayers have no clue what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Interesting, but I've always heard that in Viet Nam the troops prefered to take their chances and ride on top of the APC's since they were so vulnerable to mines. Wouldn't this still be a problem with all the roadside bombs we are hearing about in Iraq?
View Quote

Just leave the troop door and ramp cracked so you have a place to explode out of.  When your dismounts ride outside the box, they are exposed to all kinds of high velocity, flying metal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh?
Please explain this one.
View Quote

Simple.  There are rounds that can penetrate and disable the M2 / kill its crew that WILL NOT do the same to the Stryker.  No, I don't have a link.  NO I absolutely will not give details.

Just take the actual serving soldiers there right now's response to the M113 crap as evidence that the war-geek naysayers have no clue what they are talking about.
View Quote

WTF?
The Bradley's got thicker (and more) armor than the Stryker, EASILY.  Even with new ceramic bolt-on armor, which is available for the Bracley, the Bradley is easily more survivable than the Stryker.

Of course, you can't give details that don't exist, so I understand.

The M113 is another story.  A .50 will easily penetrate both sides of the standard M113.  The A3 version ups the ante without much additional bulk and can easily accept slat, applique and cage armor to catch up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh?
Please explain this one.
View Quote

View Quote

WTF?
The Bradley's got thicker (and more) armor than the Stryker, EASILY.  Even with new ceramic bolt-on armor, which is available for the Bracley, the Bradley is easily more survivable than the Stryker.

Of course, you can't give details that don't exist, so I understand.

The M113 is another story.  A .50 will easily penetrate both sides of the standard M113.  The A3 version ups the ante without much additional bulk and can easily accept slat, applique and cage armor to catch up.
View Quote

There is a lot more to survivabilty than armor thickness.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting read.
[url]http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/iav.htm [/url]

Also interesting about the comparisons of M113s and Strykers. I wonder if the results were published.

As for survivability:
The Infantry Carrier Vehicle is swift, easily maintainable and most importantly includes features designed for the safety of soldiers. The LAV has armor protection all around, even on top. The armor will stop 50-caliber bullets and protect against 152mm airburst shells, and  the armor is twice as thick as original contract specifications called for. The tires of the LAV can be inflated or deflated from inside the vehicle to make it safer for different surfaces ranging from deep mud to hardtop, and the vehicle has run-flat tires. The LAV has a built-in fire suppression system and self-recovery winch.
View Quote

I've also seen several reports that it has NBC protection as well. That's a good thing in the sandbox.

Oh and about the Isrealis and the M113, I found this link interesting:
[url]http://www1.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/2003-08/14/content_254777.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Great article, dport.

I don't think you will ever convince the arcade game playing, popular science-reading crowd though.  IN their minds, the US Military never knows what it is doing.  If only we would put THEM in charge, all would be better.

Heck, I can't even provide a link to what I know.  Gee, sorry that I don't just regurgitate open-source info.  I just can't impress the weapon geeks about anything from M16s to Strykers, 'cus they read alot.  I try to be helpful, but they don't want to listen to someone who actually deals with this stuff FOR A FUCKING LIVING!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I drive a 1068, which is a modified 113, that aluminum armor sure puts me at ease, and that top speed of 30mph really makes me feel like Dale Earnhardt.  It'll stop an AK round, thats about it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top