Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Skipped mine. No way would I want to go. No regrets about it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So I'm graduating next month with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.  I'm very tired of school and have had a strained relationship with the university and faculty because of a lot of stupidity.  On top of all that, my classmates annoy the living shit out of me (big tech schools draw really weird kids) and I'll be getting my commission into the Army about 2 hrs later so I'd have to wear my ASUs under my cap and gown.  My parents obviously want to see me walk across the stage, but I just think its going to be painful and complicate things with my commissioning.

Did any of you guys skip your graduation?  Did you regret it?  Are you glad you went?
View Quote

It's a once in a lifetime thing. Do it for your folks and make them happy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Skipped both of mine. Don't regret it in the least.

Not big on pomp and ceremony. I don't need an attaboy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I skipped my college graduation.

No regrets.....I was there for the education and diploma....and had a BLAST the entire time.

I just had no interest in sitting through an hours long ceremony to be handed my diploma.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I'm graduating next month with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.  I'm very tired of school and have had a strained relationship with the university and faculty because of a lot of stupidity.  On top of all that, my classmates annoy the living shit out of me (big tech schools draw really weird kids) and I'll be getting my commission into the Army about 2 hrs later so I'd have to wear my ASUs under my cap and gown.  My parents obviously want to see me walk across the stage, but I just think its going to be painful and complicate things with my commissioning.

Did any of you guys skip your graduation?  Did you regret it?  Are you glad you went?
View Quote

I skipped my undergrad in engineering. To me it wasn't a "big" accomplishment. I mean yeah, realistically its a huge accomplishment. But not for my tolerance of "hurry up and wait" bs type activities.

I did however walk for my graduate engineering. The amount of asspain involved in finishing that shit, you better believe I was gonna walk.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#7]
The main college graduation, yeah I would have skipped that.

My department graduation? There were only nine of us in my year graduating from my department, so we had the thing at a professor's house with beer and cooking out. That was cool.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I didn't go for myself, I went because my family wanted to see me walk the stage.

The ceremony has never been about you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#9]
If it's Undergrad skip it.
I listened to an hour long diversity / save the planet scolding from our president who was a Clinton sympathizer and some godawful bagpipes. I could do without that memory.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#10]
My university only held graduations in the spring, and I graduated in the fall; graduates in the fall had the option to come back for the ceremony in May. By then I had already moved and had started my first job, so I chose not to go. 14 years later I do regret it; would have given me a better sense of closure & a feeling of accomplishment that you don't get by receiving your diploma in the mail.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You cannot be the first person to graduate and then be commissioned. Not possible to bring a change of clothes?  

Do what you want though, I'm skipping your graduation either way.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Went to my HS one because mom and dad made me. Went to boot camp graduation because a bunch of DIs made me. Did not go to AA, BS, or MA graduations because I'm finally an adult and think it's a waste of time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Just wear your ASUs to graduation, if you go at all.  I wore my dress blues to undergrad and law school graduation, said screw the cap and gown.

EDIT:  Well, I don't think you can wear ASUs to graduation if you are not commissioned yet.  I was commissioned 2 days before graduation ceremony.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had 4 including high school and i didn't go to any of them.  No regrets either.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My parents obviously want to see me walk across the stage
View Quote

Then suck it up kid.  That's a big deal for parents.  It aint about your pissing matches with the school, it's about letting your parents enjoy the success they had so much part in.  I'm sure getting your ass on that stage came with a pile of difficulties that make your little time concern seem quite inconsequential indeed, but they did it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#17]
You're commissioning in the Army.  You'll attend many ceremonies you don't want to be at, simply because someone else wants you there.  Suck it up and go to your graduation.  It's good practice for you and it'll make your parents happy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went to my undergrad but I went shooting with buddies at Ken Hackathorn's house instead of going to my grad school graduation. I don't regret it at all. I was a part time student/full time cop for grad school so I really didn't have any connection with the school anymore.

I'd probably go to my undergrad though.

ETA Do it for your parents.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Skip it, boring ceremony. After attending my sister's graduation and Commissioning, I decided to just go to my Commissioning, saved myself and family the BS.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I attended mine, for my family.  In all honesty, I don't recall a single second of the ceremony, but I do remember seeing the joy on my parent's faces.  Some things you do for you, some things you do for others.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't do my High School graduation since I was in basic training at the time, and I skipped my graduation from college. I was too busy trying to find a job.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Up to you; I find nothing worthwhile about them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]
my son starts college this fall.

swallow your pride and walk for your parents. They've earned it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I skipped high school, undergrad, and then graduate.

I went to my USMC graduations though....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I was up drinking til 3am the night before mine, and started back up at 7am-ish.

Didn't sit where I was supposed to, shook the civil engineering dean's hand (I'm EE), joined in on booing the stupid hippie band playing some stupid hippie song between speeches, etc.

I made the best of it.

Your parents will probably want a picture of you, with your diploma cover, in your cap and gown. Just suck it up and go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Let your family see their investment paid off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Did any of you guys skip your graduation?
View Quote

Of course. I skipped both my high school and college graduations. In the first case, I was out of the country, and in the second case, I simply watched it as a spectator. I wasn't about to shell out money for a cap and gown rental, etc. Besides that, the school was so big that diplomas weren't handed out individually, anyway. My father was in the academic parade since he was on the faculty.

Law school graduation was a different story.  The University of Texas Law School has its own ceremony, separate from the general campus. Instead of caps and gowns, the graduates simply wear suits with a cheap plastic sunflower on the lapel. And the diplomas are handed out individually.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#28]
i didnt go to my college graduation.  
i graduated in Dec, so there was no point.
plus i didnt give much of a fuck
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I skipped mine, walked up to the dean after it was over and asked for my diploma.

No regrets really, it seemed like an anti-climax, I just wasn't in the mood for it.

I did go to a graduation party after the last day of exams.

I still have dreams all the time that I didn't study for an exam and I'm not going to graduate.

Then I wake up and the relief washes over me.

I got my master's degree almost 20 years ago, so you'd think I would stop having the dream.

View Quote

LOL

I didn't go to mine either (actually got chewed out for the 87th time at my sisters graduation a few weeks ago by my parents).  I still wonder how it's going to go when I have to send in transcripts.  I dropped out of grad school and left a lot of loose ends.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#30]
talk to your parents about it and explain your views on it. If it means nothing to your, then, Shirley, they'll support you on your position.

IBDCMS
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Went to mine (University of IL) in '93.  The entire college of engineering graduating group in Assembly Hall basically got a speech, told to stand up, you're graduated, now GTFO.  We didn't even get the empty diploma covers.  Of course, a ton of people didn't even know if they graduated yet as grades hadn't been posted, plus they were auditing everyone to make sure there were no outstanding debts owed to the university.

I should have skipped it in my case.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Went to mine (University of IL) in '93.  The entire college of engineering graduating group in Assembly Hall basically got a speech, told to stand up, you're graduated, now GTFO.  We didn't even get the empty diploma covers.  Of course, a ton of people didn't even know if they graduated yet as grades hadn't been posted, plus they were auditing everyone to make sure there were no outstanding debts owed to the university.

View Quote

LOL, you'd think they would get that stuff sorted out beforehand.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I went to pick mine up from the school after graduating and one of the deans decided he would try to give me some long speech about how important it was to attend graduation.

I stopped the guy a couple sentences in and told him I was on my lunch break from my job and he could either hand over my diploma or I would have a lawyer contact him.

He handed it over and followed me out the building telling me how disrespectful I was to the university.

I got what I was there for. There was no way I was willing to pay more money and take time off from my new job to go to a graduation ceremony.
View Quote

Good. I hate pompous asses like that. Actually, you showed remarkable restraint.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The graduation ceremony isn't for you.  It's for you parents.
View Quote

This here.  Parents wanted to see the first in their family get a Bachelor's.  Walked for the first one.  Skipped the second, skipped the PharmD (but attended the private hooding ceremony), and later skipped both my Masters.  

Have a heart-to-heart with your parents.  If you think they want to see it, just suck it up and walk.  In the grand scheme, it is a little thing to you that means a lot to them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I skipped mine and don't regret it. Save the money you pay for a cap and gown to buy some beer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I didn't walk.  At the time I didn't have a lot of cash, and the money I did have got spent on car parts instead of a cap and gown.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#37]
When I graduated (Civil Engineering) I went to the ceremony.  After four years of college fun and lots of fellow friends graduating with me, I would not have missed it.  Even if I had not wanted to go for myself, I would have gone for my Parents.  A couple hours of my life spent to make them happy would have been well worth it.

To OP ...  At college you had problems with the school, the faculty, and your fellow students.  Maybe, in your case, you should skip it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Did you pay for your school or did your parents pay for it? I'll tell you this, as parents who are paying for their son to attend college (and will be for our daughter) him going across that stage is going to be
A. Validation that he did, in fact, complete college
B. My wife and I busting our ass, going without vacations, cars and such was the right thing
C. Just being damn proud of our kid

So, it's not just about you. But, if you paid your own way, lived in your place and ate your food that you worked for the money to buy that stuff....Than do as you please. But, as I suspect, your parents hemorrhagd cash for you to spend four years in college....you owe them the satisfaction that their investment paid off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#39]
If your parents paid for college for you then yes you should walk!

snowman357
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I skipped it but would have attended if my family wanted me to.
View Quote

Same here.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Graduated last year with my BA at 44 years old.  Went to graduation, wife and my dad came too.

It was a long time coming and had a lot of significance fornmy career and life, and it felt great to walk.

We went to a relaxed and subdued lunch after and that was that. It's up to you, but I'd go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#42]
My college graduation was the Saturday after my oldest son was born. I didn't go and I don't regret it. I was where I wanted to be.

ETA: Ironically my younger sister graduated from nursing school the same week and my parents nearly insisted that I attend her graduation or pinning ceremony. I'm not really sure what the big deal was. I had been in college for longer than her.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#43]
No.

Go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I skipped college graduation.  I didn't regret it, but you should do it for your parents.  

I did go to my grad school graduation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm not a fan of spending hours listening to that bullshit, only to be patted on the back and complimented by people who don't know me or my accomplishments in the slightest.

Pass.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I went to mine, but I don't really remember it or care.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#47]
How is even up to debate? Did you have decent parents? If so reward them with a cool night.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm graduating this June. No plans to walk. I did for my associate degree and high school so I don't see the point in doing it again. I'm just happy to be finished.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#49]
didnt go to my graduation for college

did go to law school.  invited my siblings, but not my parents.  (shitty parenting = consequences in Pilumworld)

i had a graduation party afterwards and let the parents attend; but i wasn't going to let them take a "good parent" victory lap by attending the ceremony.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just do it.  You'll make your parents happy and all you'll lose will be a single morning that you probably wouldn't have done anything useful with anyway.
View Quote

This.

I skipped my college graduation after my folks basically paid for it and looking back after everyone is dead and gone - I should have gone just to show my appreciation for what they gave me. I was young and knew it all
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top