Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
A slide release is definitely quicker than ham-handing the slide.

5.7x28: 36gr .22 bullet at 2200fps.
.22 Magnum: 50gr bullet at 1900fps.

Sorry guys the 5.7 is a pathetic joke.

And spare me the "do you want to be shot by one?" BS. I don't want to be shot by anything, not even a .22 short. That still doesn't make the 5.7 viable.

If armor penetration is important maybe the gun designers should come up with a more potent round. Or as compact a 5.56 as possible.

Oh BTW I've fired a P90. Very slick cute little design. If issued one I'd have to do a 10rd burst minimum & hope at least 3-4 hit something. "F" the semi mode. And the pistol.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

.22 Magnum: 50gr bullet at 1900fps.

And spare me the "do you want to be shot by one?" BS. I don't want to be shot by anything, not even a .22 short. That still doesn't make the 5.7 viable.

If armor penetration is important maybe the gun designers should come up with a more potent round. Or as compact a 5.56 as possible.

Oh BTW I've fired a P90. Very slick cute little design. If issued one I'd have to do a 10rd burst minimum & hope at least 3-4 hit something. "F" the semi mode. And the pistol.

Funny...about 40 years ago ppl. said the same thing about the .223. Seems to have done quite well...
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

.22 Magnum: 50gr bullet at 1600fps.From a handgun.

There, I fixed it for ya'.  What most people don't understand is that 2200fps. IS from a handgun, not a long gun.  You'll only get about 1600fps from a .22Mag from a pistol so the 5.7mm is far from a .22Mag.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry, but I'd rather having a slow, hard hitting .45 than a 2000MPH needle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
20 rounders will be available after the sunset.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Not a .45

Try hitting a pepper popper at theat distance

I think he means it won't drop a steel target. I've seen 9s fail to do it on occasion  often.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a .45

I think he means it won't drop a steel target. I've seen 9s fail to do it on occasion  often.

Me too. I have made good solid hits with a 9mm on steel plates only to see the plate stay up. But only with the relatively mild 9mm civvy hardball. Hotter ammo usually works great.  But imagine with me, if you will, the resounding power of a 30 grain projectile pounding that same steel plate.....Oh the power!!

I have also seen .45 ACP fail too. Course that's because the 230 grain bullet smacks the plate so hard it rebounds into the upright position. I spent 5 magazines on one plate rack trying to clear it. There were only 6 targets. I hit with every shot, but the darned things wouldn't stay down.

The instructor asked me why I kept shooting.

"Well if I am in a fight and some bastard keeps getting up after I shoot him, I am sure as heck gonna shoot him again!"
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
.45 acp drops .75" at 20 yards. 9.9" at 60 yards. 28" at 100 yards.

at least according to a table i just read.

now, i ain't no pistol crackshot but i HAVE to use major holdover to stretch my 1911's out.

please tell me where i can buy one of these here wonder pistols that flatten out .45 acp. i'll bet they cost alot, but i realy want to try one out.

If your sights are regulated for 25 yards, it makes a difference in all that math. Mine are regulated perfectly for 25 yards.

I certainly have to do a little hold over to hit something at 100 yards, but it isn't like I have to aim at the sun or anything to do it. Most people over-estimate the ammount of holdover needed at that distance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#12]

The slide release is much faster.

There are a couple of reasons for the two hand release I know of:
1.  Non-fighting  1911 guns are popular with the masses now.
2.  Ranges that rent guns don't want to replace worn or broken slide stops every 20,000 rds.

There are a few POS  handguns out there that will not reliably chamber a round if the slide release is used because there is not enough spring tension left from the slightly forward position of the slide.  This bad design required new handling techniques be learned.  So if you use a 1911 you are fine no matter what you do. If not, make sure releasing from the slide stop actually allows a round to be fully chambered every time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I train not to run the gun dry.  A firearm doesn't work too well when it is empty.

The only time to touch the slide or release is when there is a jam.  If you practice using the palm over the top method, you can clear a jam very quickly and never have to worry about touching the slide release.

I practice that too. But I also practice running dry. I also practice one-handed like one arm has been disabled by a hit (or is otherwise occupied).  Try reloading with one hand. Not only is it slower, but very hard to do without using the slide release. If you have a pistol that does not go into battery 100% of the time after a one-handed slide release you are for a world of hurt if you are ever in that situation for real. That's why the 1911 still rules real gunfighting. There are all sorts of bugs that don't show up in regular training, but somehow JB managed to design a pistol that overcame them all in 1911. He was a genius.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a .45

Sounds like you need training.  Stop trying to buy gadgets to make up for inadequate skills.

Do you even know what a pepper popper is?  

AJNTSA

First engage your brain before responding.

I've engaged Pepper Poppers to 47y with my G19, its not a problem with a .45 (as my other classmates with 1911s had no issues).

The 'gadget' was the FiveseveN - that's all it is.  If you can't hit a popper at 50y with your .45 aiming COM then you need training - BADLY.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#17]
My brother got one.  

Negative  

We heard the mags fell apart.  His mags seemed tight.  

Second time shooting it, the mag bottom fell out.  Dumped all the ammo and gusts all over the range floor.  

He now cups his left hand under the mag.  If it falls apart, he should be able to save the ammo and gust before the big dump.  

People have told him to put a drop of glue where the mag body and floor plate meet.  He doesn't want to do that because it would be a pain to disassemble to clean or repair.  

Positive  

It was fun to shoot.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Still waiting on the Info about $7.00 for a box of 50.

BTW

I have shot the pistol, reminded me of a pellet gun.  It will set off Tannerite tho.

P90 is kick ass!

Still don't know why in the two Stargate TV shows they have them.  Awfully light weight to be shooting the bad guys.   I would rather have a SAW or a G3.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#19]

SG1 was nuts about 9mm armor piercing, and now the 5.7mm. They go full-auto running through multiple magazines before the bad guy drops or he shoots them with a stun gun first and takes them prisoner. If anything, they show why NOT to shoot a full-auto cricket gun.

Once O'Neill used an HK91 from a hilltop and got long range one shot kills. Did he learn his lesson? No. He discarded it for a 9mm subgun for the assault.

I would love to see an M4 or two on this show. For the kind of bigass aliens they face they really should have AR10s or Bushmaster .308s. Maybe this websites sponsors should go after the show with weapon upgrades in hand.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#20]
if i get one it beter have a 2 and 3 shot selector swich
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top