BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
with all due respect, ed, i whole-heartedly disagree with your assessment. do you think that there can be a "polite" or "clean" version of war???
View Quote

No there is no "clean version" of war,but there is a certain code of conduct based on honor that I think should be observed by combatants.We do horrible things in combat to our enemies,but this is being done to a defenseless POW and not in the heat of battle.
What was gained by such a brutal killing and subsequent decapitation?I presume the reason was to parade the head on a stick and show how brave the killer is!
I did not like it when the Somalies did it to our troops and I don't like it when done to other soldiers who have been captured.
these are NOT trained soldiers, indoctrinated with ideas like "honor" or "glory" they are just ordinary citizens, fed up with 80+ years of  represion, murder and torture
View Quote
It does not matter how long a people has suffered.It does not justify this level of barbarism.How much better are the CHECHEN people going to be if they win independence and are ruled by "men"like the ones who killed this soldier in cold blood?
I am sorry but I cannot accept this act as a patriotic thing anymore than Tim McVeigh's bombing of the Fed building or the Mi Lai massacre.
If there is a model for combatants to copy it is our own civil war.I know horrible things were also done by both sides,but by God,they fought as ferociously as any armies and behaved honorably towards each other once the battle was over for......... the most part.
View Quote

fair enough.
but i reiterate my earlier point: in a land where guns are illigal, and history is re-written to suit the aggressors, and ideas like tactics and training are forbidden, how are a bunch of serfs to know anything about the way others fight? they only know two things:

1) they MUST endure, fight and survive.
2) the world does not care about them.

keeping this in mind, it is no wonder they are releasing videos like these to the world! they don't parade around with impaled heads like in the movies, they are trying to say to the world: look what your ways have brought us to, look at the tactics we must resort to in order to show the invaders, that after so many years, it must end, NO MATTER HOW, NO MATTER WHEN.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#2]

"War has an intrinsic drive to go out of control."
Father J. Brian Hehir
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]I am sorry but I cannot accept this act as a patriotic thing anymore than Tim McVeigh's bombing of the Fed building or the Mi Lai massacre.[/b]

I do not mean to nit pick here but the Government has caused both incedent's Mcveigh
should die for what he has done! but the Gov
walks free for what they had caused if Clinton
and reno had not used helicopter's and Bradly
fighting vehicles, and the shooting and burning
of people out of there own home's because of a
pieace of metal is a inch to short or wood to short! common these guys walk free but McViegh
dies Both need's to be held accountable for what
happen! Lon(Sniper at Ruby Ridge) walked free.
Janet Reno Walked free! Clinton had a lot of affar's and pardon criminals he still held office for 8 years and still walks free. there
is a BIG double standard.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#4]
When you start doing things like this to your enemy in the name of freedom, you are not a freedom fighter.. You have just become a monster ..

Even if your enemy does worst things ..like Hitler did .. it did not justify do things that make you no worst than them.  You can still win freedom by other means than becoming a monster..

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You do realize that the soldier is technically still alive when his head is removed. What they don't tell you is that it takes hours to die and that you are still aware of everything going on around you because your brain is intact and still functioning. So when the remove his head he is thinking "oh shit, this is really happening, they chopped my fucking head off" . Nobody tells you the truth about dying because it would upset people knowing their loved ones experienced everything.
View Quote

I've heard of this before, but I'm not sure if it's an Urban legend or not.  [i]Information given by my CRNA mother:[/i] In the surgical/emergency room, doctors will often "plug" the head with necessary blood to keep the patient alive in causes of trauma.  The victim lives longer (less case of suffering brain damage due to lack of blood), but some organs such as kidneys/pancrease might fail because most of the vital hemoglobin is being routed to the brain.

If the brain is literally "aware" for hours, then why does traumatic brain failure occur in less than 10 minutes?  In this time period, both endocrine, respitory, and major cardiovascular failure occurs before the brain actually dies, and this all within 10 minutes!  I'm not sure how the human brain can operate for an hour, much less 15 minutes, without oxygenated blood passing through it.

Any MD's out there?
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't get it.  Worse atrocities take place in Africa every day.  There, they place people inside a tire, fill the tire with gasoline, and light it up.  Other times, they impale people on poles through their anus and then raise them up into the air so that gravity can do its deadly work.  I think I'd rather have my head sliced off with a dull knife...

Closer to home, I'm sure the French and Indian War The American Revolution and even the Civil War were much worse for some people.  The indians scalped people and had huge clubs to crush skulls with.  That kid died relativiely quickly, he didn't have to have his leg sawed off or die from gangrene in squalid tent someplace, or crawl through the wildnerness all broken and battered with absolutely no hope of rescue or comfort.  

Or how about the D-Day landings?  Driving lots of landing craft up onto a beach and opening the doors to withering machine gun fire isn't exactly compassionate.  

Put yourself in the place of a Chechen for a moment:  The big leviathan Russian army is trying to kill you and they've already killed your family, friends, and fellow countrymen.  You have inadequate food and equipment.  A psychological edge can only help--that's why the bodies of dead Russians were hung up in front of every fighting position in Grozny.  The Russians then had to see their fallen comrades in their gun sights and fire into them.  

As wars drag on, the atrocities worsen.  Some people on this site must be getting most of their information about wars from Hollywood films.  That's a very dangerous thing to do.  

I fervently hope we never see that kind of ugliness here, but life in a totalitarian state is much, much worse.  Human life is cheap, it always has been.  That's why all governments (and religions, for that matter) are highly suspect.  Whenever they talk about control, you can bet it's you who they want to control.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
from USMC Web Site

He gazed at the monitor intently as if expecting a different turn out or as if he had missed something the first time around. The video always begins with the title "Unknown Russian Soldier" on a black background, but somehow it always seems like anyone's story.

The boot of a Chechen rebel is planted flat on the side of the Russian soldier's head and the pressure increases. The Russian soldier is squirming and wondering where he had gone wrong. It is that moment, while thoughts of the Russian soldier's home pass through his mind that the rebel cuts his throat. The Russian soldier remembers when he was a boy on a farm in the Ukraine and had to kill the pigs for the next day's market. His thoughts slowly slip away as he dies. Where had he gone wrong?

No matter how often Gunnery Sgt. Timothy J. Fox sees this video clip, he can't help but feel the importance of his teachings to tomorrows warriors.

"This guy probably wandered off from his platoon and was caught by the Chechens," said Fox. "I show this video to my students so they will always think about their job and how important it is for them to survive."

Fox, an instructor in anti-tank warfare at the School of Infantry, Weapons Company, described his work as "important to a young grunt because it gives them the skills to reduce the probability of becoming a casualty."

If you want to see the video click here, but be warned, you won't get the image out of your head
[url]http://www.bangedup.com/gh-czech.mpg[/url]
[red][size=2]WARNING IF YOU CHOOSE TO WATCH THE VIDEO LINKED ABOVE YOU ARE GOING TO SEE A SOLDIER DIE A VERY BRUTAL DEATH.[/RED][/SIZE=2]
View Quote

I got through about 1/3 of the video. Now I know, I am an armchair warrior........Im still feeling sick....
View Quote

And thank God I am too...not too proud to admit it either.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#8]
trickshot,
well said.

everyone else: thank you for a civil thread, it is always a pleasure to share in the free flow of thought in an adult manner, under our first amendment. our forefathers would have been proud. i am proud to be an american today.

[^]

-fatty out....for now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By WhoMe?:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By WhoMe?:

After watching this, I could only come up with one question.....
Why would they film this?
View Quote

Or the question should be... why would we watch it?

-[blue]ChaZ[/blue][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/skull.gif[/img]
View Quote

Equally good point........
View Quote

Good Lord......I wish I hadn't.....
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#10]
[puke]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You do realize that the soldier is technically still alive when his head is removed. What they don't tell you is that it takes hours to die and that you are still aware of everything going on around you because your brain is intact and still functioning. So when the remove his head he is thinking "oh shit, this is really happening, they chopped my fucking head off" . Nobody tells you the truth about dying because it would upset people knowing their loved ones experienced everything.
View Quote

And you would know this how again???
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
authough kids would probably not join as fast at they are,all of the kids who are thinking of joining the Army/Marines should watch that video,so they realize what they may be exposed to.Alot of these kids are joining for college funds and stuff,and are video game playing,starbucks drinking wannabes,who THINK they know what combat is like.After watching that footage,they will sober up REAL quick.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
authough kids would probably not join as fast at they are,all of the kids who are thinking of joining the Army/Marines should watch that video,so they realize what they may be exposed to.Alot of these kids are joining for college funds and stuff,and are video game playing,starbucks drinking wannabes,who THINK they know what combat is like.After watching that footage,they will sober up REAL quick.
View Quote

4th try and I still can get through the video without becoming sick.......
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#14]
After release from Vietnam, thirty years ago I sat there, in a little church in Mexico City, 4 pm on a gray afternoon, resting after a long walk with two beers in me, contemplating the void of the world. Rising above me is a tormented statue of Christ on the Cross, when I first saw it I immediately froze, hands clasped in front of me. "Ricardo!" I heard someone call on the street, but after running to the window to look, it was someone else. Turning to look back at the statue I gasp "My Jesus!" and now seeing a handsome young face like of James Dean or a young Robert Mitchum high on weed. The statue's eyes are closed in death yet one is partly open and He stares at me as if to say "Brother, this is the end!" His knees are all scratched and scabbed , an inch deep hole where his kneecap had been gouged by the rocky road , flailing along with the giant Cross on his back, and as He leans there with the Cross on rocks they goad him on-- on to slide on His knees, worn out by the time He reaches Golgotha and is nailed to the Cross. In my mind, I was there, we all were there, to see the rip in His ribs where the sword-tips of lancers were stuck up at Him--I was not there, had I been there I would have yelled Stop!! And with my M16 I would have stopped it--or been crucified too. Here in this statue the Old World Spain had sent the bloodheart sacrifice Aztecs of Mexico a picture of tenderness and pity as if He were saying "This you would do to Man? I am of Man, I am the Son of Man, I am Man and this you would do to me? Who are Man and God--I am God, and you would bound my feet together, then pierce with long nails with big stayfast points on the end slightly blunted by the hammerers might--this you did to Me, and I preached Love?"
He preached Love, and you would have him bound to a Cross and hammered into it with nails, you fools, you should be forgiven.
I saw the blood running from His hands to His armpits and down His sides--The Mexicans had hung a graceful canopy of red velvet around His loins, a Holy Victory Cloth.
What a Victory, the Victory of Christ! Victory over madness, hate and mankind's blight. "Kill him!" they still roar at fights, cockfights, bullfights, prizefights, streetfights, gunfights--"Kill him!" Kill the Fox, the Pig and the Pox.
Christ in His Agony, pray for me, pray for us all.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[b]I am sorry but I cannot accept this act as a patriotic thing anymore than Tim McVeigh's bombing of the Fed building or the Mi Lai massacre.[/b]

I do not mean to nit pick here but the Government has caused both incedent's Mcveigh
should die for what he has done! but the Gov
walks free for what they had caused if Clinton
and reno had not used helicopter's and Bradly
fighting vehicles, and the shooting and burning
of people out of there own home's because of a
pieace of metal is a inch to short or wood to short! common these guys walk free but McViegh
dies Both need's to be held accountable for what
happen! Lon(Sniper at Ruby Ridge) walked free.
Janet Reno Walked free! Clinton had a lot of affar's and pardon criminals he still held office for 8 years and still walks free. there
is a BIG double standard.
View Quote

Buddy if you can't tell the difference between this killing and the Mai Lai massacre then I don't know what.

This guy is a soldier and at the Mai Lai the victims were civilians.  McVeigh did not execute soldiers, but civilians.

The Russians (the guy executed in this video) are the ones that are killing the civilians.  You have it 180 degrees off.

Mr. Wallace, I have to disagree with you.  We all would do the same if the Chinese occupied our lands and killed our families.

I think the Jihad types are half assed backwards, the Taliban in Afghanistan is F'd up beyond all belief.  Buy hey, it's THEIR country.  Let them do with it as they please, Russia get the hell out.

As for Kpel308, give the Muslims in PI their own Island, we should never have been in Lebanon, etc.  We reap what we sow.  Yeah they were OUR marines, but they should have never been there.  We don't want Jihad?  Keep the heck out.  It's none of our business.  Same in Bosnia.

It's clear there are a lot of opinions here, I respect that.  I just think that most of you would think different if you saw your wife/daughter/sister gang raped by 20 Russians, strangled, then mutilated.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#17]
link is now broken???
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
my $0.02.  the russkie pow was worthless. probably an enlisted grunt, with no useful knowledge.  just another mouth to feed and a potential security prob if he escaped/returned to russ army.  muslims believe non-muslims are dogs to be treated as such, killed without compassion.  same attitude at work against israel, the usa, by palestinians/arab world. there is no such thing as second place, strike two, or time out in combat.  all those shtf freaks should really enjoy this video.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#19]

[url]http://www.russia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php3?forumid=7[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Big deal. If you've seen much combat than you are immune to this(as I am sure the guy with the knife is). There used to be a saying for this "don't mean a thing" and you get on with it. To the guy with the knife he's a bad guy and he has it coming to him. You guys that say "oh I could never do such a thing" just haven't visited that dark place where you would do it without remorse or any other sort of emotion.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Where is Joseph Stalin when you need him?  He knew how to take care of petty squabbles like this.

I seem to remember a couple of years back where this group called the IRA did some pretty brutal things.  Many of their acts were against innocent women and children.  As many have pointed out, "war is hell".  I don't know what I would do in a similar situation.  I would like to think that I would act honorably, but hopefully won't find out unless they come for my guns.  It is easy to critisize from the comfort of my livingroom.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread has ran it's course. We can go on for days and debate the horrors of a war. But with the exception of a few veterans and active military personel on board. None of us have experienced or witnessed this horror up close and personal.

We view this video from the safe perspective of our own morale, and this is good since that undamaged morale make us the persons we are. There's no telling in what you or me will do given the same situation. I for one never hope to be in that situation, and I wish this for all of you too.

- The world isnt black and white........it's grey Jack......GREY - Clear and Present Danger.

Kuiper
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top