BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well Fritz is a gorgeous pup and Joker1 has been graciously keeping us updated on his progress. We told him early-on in the process that we'd give Fritz a home, but through NO fault of Joker1's, a large/fancy rescue group has claimed him and will be transporting him form KY to MN. We contacted the rescue group to tell them we were prepared to give Fritz a loving home including transporting him and paying all of his vet expenses.... Essentially "This dog is already rescued"

But it fell on deaf ears.

We tried to even adopt through their system, told them about our current dog, house, how Joker1 had told us about the pup and we'd already agreed to take him, but didn't want to step on their toes. We were met with a 2-sentence e-mail that we could apply. My fiance then called and tried to explain the situation to no avail. We weren't even allowed to talk to the woman who had replied to our e-mail (she apparently only communicates through e-mail).

We were then told that:
A) We cannot adopt early
B) THEIR foster can choose to keep Fritz if they want
C) IF/when Fritz is available for adoption, they will not let us know
D) We can fill out an application like everyone else

So, there you go. I have a soft-spot for dog-rescues as we've gotten all of our dogs minus the last one from various rescues, but none have ever been as hard to work with as this one. We will still apply for Fritz if we get the chance, but I and Joker1 agree that now that he's already been "rescued" that there are others out there who will die while we dick around with this process.

I'm sure the rescue is more noble than they're coming off, but $350-$500 for adoption fees and them pulling this is a tough pill to swallow. I made the mistake of sharing the pictures/story of this group, Joker1's efforts, and Fritz with my fiance and now there's lots of crying.
View Quote
Don't tell Sara but I am smitten. If it was possible I would keep this dog and you'd have to fight me for him!
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump for Nick.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You have weight/size on Nick?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't tell Sara but I am smitten. If it was possible I would keep this dog and you'd have to fight me for him!
View Quote
You should!

(then we might come down and steal him from you )

We fear his next foster will feel the same way and we won't have a shot, but I keep reminding her that the important part is he gets a good home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You have weight/size on Nick?
View Quote
Yes, I do now! He is about 45 pounds. Very medium in size.
Nick is some kinda pit/hound mix. He's one of the good ones.
Extremely calm, gentle and affectionate. It's early but no signs of any food or toy aggression.
He gets along great with the other 7 currently in the pack. We took a nap together this afternoon, just me Nick, Fritz, David (the dog), Olivia, Zeus, Kaylee, Jake and Morrigan all on a mattress on the floor.
Rides great in the car.
He's not house broken but I live with the doors open and he was loose last night. No accidents yet. He is already neutered. He gets the rest of his vetting tomorrow.

He is kind of a recliner hog!

On the bad side his coat is in terrible shape. He looks like he had a very bad case of flea infestation with much of his hair replaced by flaking, raw skin. He's been bathed, conditioned and medicated and already looks (and smell) better.
when found as a stray 2 weeks ago his paw pads were bloody. Who knows how long and how far he was on the road. Those are almost completely healed.
He "sits" readily and takes treats very softly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Who the fuck would buy a Leonberger and surrender it?
View Quote
Interesting looking dog-never heard of the breed before though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Leonbergers originated in Leonberg, Germany. They are a "status" breed. The were created to look like the towns crest, a lion! A cross of St. Bernard and Newfounland. Absolutely one of the most gentle and affectionate dogs I've had. Who would turn him in knowing he would go straight to death row is beyond me. Not to mention a pup will run you a couple thousand.

Quoted:

Interesting looking dog-never heard of the breed before though.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#8]
No longer available!!

This boy is sitting in a shelter that doesn't always work with rescues. He becomes available 8/4/2017 after his stray hold is up He is available now! He won't last long but I want him to have a good home. They may not work with me but I'll be happy to drive out there, lie my ass off and adopt him myself then turn him over to you. Does that make me a bad boy?

"Look at this handsome boy Rocky. Rocky is a Hound/Shepherd mix. He is around a 3 months old. He is looking for his forever loving home."

FYI, he is not in my hands, but I am willing to try.

No longer available.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Come on guys someone needs a pup.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, C'mon! Looka dat face!
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Ann would kill me!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Friday afternoon bumpage.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Bump for Nick. Super sweet. He's gonna make some one a great dog!

Nick on the ferry heading towards a shot clinic.

He stole my recliner.

Just chillin'.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Night Krewe bump
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:52:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey Joker, your Nick looks like he's mostly Plott Hound... I had a Plott/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, and Nick resembles him quite a lot.  Here are some google images you can check.

LINK
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey Joker, your Nick looks like he's mostly Plott Hound... I had a Plott/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, and Nick resembles him quite a lot.  Here are some google images you can check.

LINK
View Quote
You're right. I suspect he is a plot hound mix. This stock photo looks just like him.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Nick is now fully vetted. He's neutered, UTD on rabies and annual Vaccines, Heartworm negative and on preventative.
He will sit on command and wait to be released to eat.
Housebreaking is going well. He crates for a treat and goes the night in there with no accidents.
I figure he is just over 1 year old.
I did get a surprise at the vet when they say he weighed 62 pounds! I had guessed him at 45. I'm usually not that far off.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump and what not
Glad to see you are back in BUSINESS
If by chance you need anything Tammy and I are more than willing to Oblige
PS she still has the hots for the Old Guy in the Pictures (Daddy issues ?????)
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This boy is sitting in a shelter that doesn't always work with rescues. He becomes available 8/4/2017 after his stray hold is up He is available now! He won't last long but I want him to have a good home. They may not work with me but I'll be happy to drive out there, lie my ass off and adopt him myself then turn him over to you. Does that make me a bad boy?

"Look at this handsome boy Rocky. Rocky is a Hound/Shepherd mix. He is around a 3 months old. He is looking for his forever loving home."

FYI, he is not in my hands, but I am willing to try.

https://scontent.fluk1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20476128_1903196073336492_914639549792507610_n.jpg?oh=62bf32617e10cb28d0b19a3191635840&oe=59F91683
View Quote
Is he blind in one eye?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is he blind in one eye?
View Quote
If referring to Nick, no. He is blinking in the pic by the fan.

If referring to Rocky we'll never know. I went to check with the shelter and he is gone, hopefully adopted.

Oops, my bad. Rocky is still listed as available.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#21]
See above. Rocky is still available.

Nick is doing great. Enters crate willingly. Housebreaking is doing fine as well. A quick learner. Nice dog!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Seriously, great dog here looking for his new home. Nobody will try to make you happier with your new dog than me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Nick is very young, probably just over a year. He's doing great. He and Jake go at it when David (the alpha dog) rushes ion to break it up. Notice how David lays off when I give him the alpha stare!

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#24]
This is what happens when you get a Semper Fi rescue dog.

I got Gunny back in January, he was shy, 70 pounds, and really not sure of himself.

Now he's 110 pounds, a great buddy, and just a little crazy.

His latest joy is cliff diving, he'd climb this rock and jump in over and over.

His biggest problem is he'll eat all the ice out of my cooler.

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I do love Gunny.
This Saturday Fritz the Leonberger goes to Minnesota (another rescue, I was just fostering to avoid his untimely death.

I just arranged to get another dog from a connection in Alabama (this is the lady I got Cooper, Doug, Harper and maybe The Dude from. Keep your eyes open for J.D.!!!

I'm also considering a hound/shepherd mix named K-9. IF he is still alive Saturday. I'm trying to make him safe right now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck! Just communicated with the volunteers at K-9's shelter. There is nothing I can do to assure his safety till Saturday.
Even offered cash to keep him safe till then. Nope. "They are full and was told "There's nothing you can do and the ACO (animal control officer) puts dogs down at will."

I'm sending an email stating my intentions hoping that will buy him some consideration. Nothing else I have to say right now is COC compliant.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#27]
She's not a Semper Fi rescue, but she is a rescue nonetheless, we brought her home last week.

Percy just wanted to give this a bump.

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#28]
She's a beaut! I am a st
Shepherd fan.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I dropped of Fritz today. He's going to another rescue in Minnesota. I'll miss the big boy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Then I drove from near Louisville to near Lexington to look at K-9. At the shelter I didn't really care for him but he would be put down if I didn't take him. Am I glad I did. After 2 hours in the car with me he was a different dog. Very good raw material. I can't wait to work with him.

Here with the gang. A half hour and he's already part of the crew.

Here he is with Christian, a friends son that is helping me around the house with a deck and some fencing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Bump for Nick and Max. J.D. is on the way!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Wonder how nick is with cats.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll try and find out. Plott hounds are a utility hunting breed of dog so it depends on his instincts.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Fritz made it to the adoption page and we've applied.

Shameless bump for a good cause
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fritz made it to the adoption page and we've applied.

Shameless bump for a good cause
View Quote
Best of luck. I take it then I did an okay job of getting him ready if they have him for adoption already.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Wish I had the room, I'd take K9 in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Marley is in danger. Reportedly good with dogs and a calm dog. I'm getting JD from the same area (Alabama) so he could ride along.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#38]
4 weeks ago Nick was found as a stray running down the highway with bloody paws and most of his hair replaced by scabs from fly and flea bites.
2 weeks ago I picked him up from the shelter, bathed him and gave him some good food.
Today he is nearly completely house broken (he sleeps loose with me at night) and can be trusted to hang out and watch me work on the deck in an area not yet fenced in.

That's him front center.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm seeing a color trend with you!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Friday evening BUMP
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ya think?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#42]
You're doing God's work Joker.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Somebody please step up for Marley. His demise is imminent. I will get him, get him healthy, socialized, crate trained and house broke (if needed) and get his basic obedience training done (sit, stay, come, heel) and get your approval Before you are fully committed. Lets give him a chance.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Meanwhile I'm getting Brienne. She'll need frequent dressing changes, medication and rest to heal up before she moves on to anther rescue.
She's a 1 year old bitch found with an injury of unknown cause.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Bump for Marley
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Bump.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Meanwhile I'm getting Brienne. She'll need frequent dressing changes, medication and rest to heal up before she moves on to anther rescue.
She's a 1 year old bitch found with an injury of unknown cause.
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20883053_1515273588516366_2136117955319380286_n.jpg?oh=0d323fc0adfa41dcdca2abdd2cba3ec7&oe=5A293316
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20882232_1515273281849730_8724016878432540897_n.jpg?oh=ffc8001f037961065dfa58037c9e5c4f&oe=5A1D0F5B
View Quote
Damn - poor girl.  Looking good for a full(ish) recovery, I hope?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey joker!! Glad to see midnight run is still going strong for you.
Lady says hi, and thanks for bringing her into our lives.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hey joker!! Glad to see midnight run is still going strong for you.
Lady says hi, and thanks for bringing her into our lives.
View Quote
My absolute pleasure!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Damn - poor girl.  Looking good for a full(ish) recovery, I hope?
View Quote
I think so. She's in vet care now. I get her for longer term wound care to try and get that sucker healed over.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top