BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Characins rock! I mean who doesnt want these guys in a fish tank?!

www.nwalesflyfishingschool.com/images/congo_u_03.jpg

fishinginamazon.com/images/photos/large/release_payara.jpg
ahhmm,wher do those fish live,i want to make sure i never go there.fuckin frankenfish.

The first one is from Africa and the second from South America...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that a pirhana? Wierd.

Hey do what you like. My dad LOVES fish. He has  3 or 4 tanks in the house, a home made koi pond that he puts gold fish in the back yard, and he uses an old spray tub to grow guppies to sell to pet stores in the summer.

My uncle - now he is insane. He does salt water fish, has a custom 70 gal tank, and he has fish that cost a grand each.

So do what you like. you can see your fish every day - and they dont cost much to feed (maybe piranhas do - I never had one.)

and fish are relaxing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
This is Halloween.
The day that you're thinking of is in about five months from now. And it ain't called April Fools Day for nothing.

wganz

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#4]
WTF it's a fish.

If I was your wife I would deep fry that sucker and feed it to you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
very nice black.i used to have one a few years ago,right around the same size.when he would swim after food,there was literaly waves in my tank.glad i put him in the basement right next to a drain.95% of the time when he ate,he would`nt swallow it whole or take his time.he would decapate them.very kool fish with lots of attitude
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:25:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Fish or Rifle ?????????????

Seriously if you have to ask you allready know what you want to do.  If you did not want the fish or if it was not important to you you would not be asking.  The fact that you are considering selling your AR means that you have allready done it in your mind and are just looking for closure.  

BUY THE FISH and then BUY THE LOWER  in true Arfcom fashion get both.

Bad Aim
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:48:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Trade an AR for a fish and you eat for a day. Keep your AR and you can kill all the fish you want.

Go with what makes you happy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:26:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You're seriously considering selling an AR in order to buy...a fish.

What he said
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:31:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:40:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll give ya two fish for it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:40:27 AM EDT
[#11]
did you see that freekn' fish!

that's why aquabumping was invented.

oh, sell the rifle, get the fish, get a new lower, feed the fish hippies something interesting, put feedings on PPV webcast, make money, buy new upper
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:47:54 AM EDT
[#12]
What AR and how much?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:58:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Hell, I love guns and a the only contact I have with fish is via a rod, but ....

If this fish is that rare and one like this is hard to come accross, you are a true fish hobbiest, and you are that strapped for cash, sell the AR and get the fish.

You may not get a chance to find a specimen like this again ....

Your AR is nothing special and you can always save up for another one ....

But for $300, can't you put it on plastic and pay it back quickly .....
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Can you kill insurgents with that fish?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sell the AR.

If you are even asking, you should sell the AR.

Yep, sell it to me!

Seriously, are you nuts? Borrow money from someone to buy the fishy, but DON"T get rid of your AR!  The future is too uncertain and every freeman needs a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:16:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:59:33 AM EDT
[#17]
It's just a gun.  Buy the fish, then next month get another AR.

It's not like ARs are uncommon or expensive.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:01:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Give a man a fish, he stares at his tank  

Have the man keep his AR, and he has a big grin on his face as he's bump firing  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hand over your man card....now.

I know what its like to have more than one hobby. Five years ago I could give two shits about an AR. However, a fish will die, but your AR will be yours forever! MUHAHAHA!

+1000
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#20]

You sound like you want the fish.  Get the fish.

It may not replace an AR for function.

But it will replace a shovel nicely.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:13:31 AM EDT
[#21]
WTF. If you have to ask, you probably already made up your mind, which makes me wonder why you even bothered to become a member on this site and not some ghey fish forum. Seriously, does this  fish do tricks, can it talk? Maybe if someone wanted to trade my AR for a talking fish, I MIGHT consider it, but that fuckin fish better have a better vocabulary than me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:22:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If you need to sell a gun to buy a $300 fish.... you need to buy nothing and focus on getting in better financial shape.

Agreed.

And get a salt tank, its even better than meat eating freshwater fish
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#24]
There are millions and millions more fish than AR's, and that one isn't even one of the pretty ones.

Big fish need big tanks.  I'm pretty sure big men eating fish need two tanks so you have a safe place to work when cleaning one.

Headline:
Exotic Fish Gobbles Kaintuck Man's Arm to Elbow
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Honestly, I don't know why I kept reading this. Just toooo strange I guess. Or maaaaaybeeee it's not. My advice: sell your upper on the EE and replace as quickly as possible. Now we're not only a support group for BRD, but BFD, too(black fish disease).
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If you need to sell a gun to buy a $300 fish.... you need to buy nothing and focus on getting in better financial shape.

Damned good point
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Are you certain it's a piranha and not a pacu?

Looks a lot like a pacu to me, but it's hard to tell from the picture.
 ETA: It was hard to see from the picture (on my computer at least), but now I can tell it's got the larger lower jaw with the underbite.

FYI, I'm a koi breeder/dealer so I'm well aware of the desire to get nice fish when available.  I was at a koi show recently in which one competitor had two tanks of fish.  There were 9 fish in those two tanks with an approximate total value of $750,000.  

Get the fish and buy another AR later if you think the fish is worth it.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Just to get started let me start out with this ==>

Ok now that is out of the way...

I have the oppurtunity to buy a VERY nice and perhaps a chance of a lifetime fish for a reasonable price of $300. The fish, though common, is rare at the size of the one being offered. Before anyone asks why cant I buy one small and grow it out. Well because it takes them FOREVER to grow and in captiviy will most likely never attain this size.

Im in a time in my life where I cant afford both hobbies so I guess I have to choose. Now Im not getting rid of all my guns by any means, just my AR. I figure that since ARs are so common, that when/if funds allow I could always get another.

I asked this same question on a fish board and I want to compare awnsers on a gun bored!

Here is a pic of the beast....www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/uploads/post-11254-1157062891.jpg

Save you money and track down a black pacu or a snake head... I had 3 bed bellys no big deal.
 What size of thank do you have.

Or I will give you 300 for your ar...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:38:25 AM EDT
[#29]
My AR can kick your fish's ass.

So, what did the fish forum people tell you to do?

By all means, make sure you base all your financial decisions on suggestions you read on a discussion foum.

Here's my suggestion... worth exactly what you paid for it. If its your only AR, keep it. Buy a fish when you can afford it. If you have several ARs laying around and you want the fish, go for it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Fish die.

ARs get banned.

ARs have potential to increase in value.

ARs don't have health problems.

ARs are more fun to feed.

Pirahnas eat the hand that feeds them.

Yeah... fuck the fish, keep the guns.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#31]
What the hell, go buy the fish.

However, if another AWB hits, that fish better be a pre-ban
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
How do you plan to cook it?

Never made it past this post.

BTW, one question:

Are you off your meds?  

NEVER SELL A GUN YOU LIKE.  YOU WILL REGRET IT.  That is the voice of experience.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
EA ?  So it's a pre-ban vintage cast lower that wasn't factory assembled into a rifle...

Get the fish.  

Actually, EA is making some pretty niced forged lowers now. They're made about half an hour from here.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:06:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Fish die.

ARs are forever.

Fish stay in the tank, AR's can go everywhere...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Is that a gourami?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
When the zombies come that fish wont do you much good

i dunno about that...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#38]
If you get the fish - DON'T name it "Wanda"
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Is it a SHTF Fish?  Can it repel the masses of urbanized yuppies when the economy collapses in the wake of Peak Fish?

Keep the AR.

Sheep
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Here's my take on it.  If this is a rare fish that can't be obtained on a day to day basis like an AR then go for it, especially if this is a hobby (which sounds to me like something you had before the gun hobby), you can buy another AR later.  Is this fish going some where? Is it going to get sold to someone else if you don't buy it? If not save your money or put a deposit on it if possible.  I have sold and AR before, but it was to buy a different gun.  Do what you want, don't let people on this board discourage you, everyone has an asshole opinion as do I.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#41]
When AQ comes charging over the hill....Shake your fish at them!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
When AQ comes charging over the hill....Shake your fish at them!

And that doesn't mean your one-eyed trouser trout!  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Sell the AR and buy the fish. Then you split your time between watching Oprah and the fish, while knitting
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Go buy a baby Oscar for about $10.  Powerfeed him to 14" in about 6 months.  Enjoy the money you saved.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#45]
If that's the actual fish in the pic, then I would get the fish. That's a black piranha and they ARE very rare to find in the US anymore. One that size is a find of a lifetime. Looks very healthy too. To the guy that thinks it looks like a pacu...please. Get real. not even close.

Most fish stores sell red bellys or even whites can be found easy enough if you know where to look. But a black is a rare gem indeed and they are the nastiest of the piranha family. I had one and had to sell it after he went through most of the other piranha in my 100 gal tank for breakfast.

Out of all the piranha I have owned, only the black piranha truly deserves the fear that the name piranha causes. When I saw your thread, I thought to myself the only fish I would sell a gun for would be a chance to get another black. That was before I saw the picture of which fish you were thinking about selling it for. No brainer dude. These guys won't understand, but get the black and send me pictures

You can get another AR anytime.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
You're seriously considering selling an AR in order to buy...a fish.

+1...  This is retarded.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I used to have a couple of smaller Black's myself and would also LOVE to have another one. I have 2 Peacock Bass but haven't seen a Black Piranha for YEARS!  I can't find anyone locally that can get Black's any longer. I've been told Black's are illegal for import in the USA due to their ability to adjust to our lakes/rivers etc..

I don't know that I'd sell and AR to buy one, but I would do whatever it takes to put one in my tank regardless of size.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#48]
I want video of this fish eating his first dinner.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#49]
If it bites off your hand, you have another.

Get the fish.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Sell my AR for a fish?!?

BLASPHEME!!!

Seriously, it's your life! It's your gun. Do whatever makes you happy. Life is too short to dwell on what everybody else may think.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top