Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's another vote AGAINST seatbelt/helmet laws.  They are both potentially effective in saving alot of lives, but for the government to regulate it and penalize us for putting ourselves at risk is asinine!  

I live in CO and we do not have a helmet law, but 90% of the time I wear my helmet anyways.  I'm grown, I can make choices, and I have to live with my choices.  I personally like keeping all of my brain matter within my skull, that's my choice.  The point is it's "my choice" to make... not the gubbamint.

That was a little off topic, but still holds true with seatbelts.  I only wear my seatbelt about 10% of the time, if that!  I think alot of laws are bogus, just a way for the government to reconfirm their purpose.

bottom line:
seatbelts=good idea
seatbelt laws=bad idea

*I dont even think it's worth $.02, but here it is anyway*
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I disagree with seat belt laws or helmet laws.  That said, I think anyone who makes excuses such 'my uncle..........' is just fooling themselves.  I also say that if you choose not to wear a helmet on a motorcycle or a seat belt in a car and you are severely injured due to the lack of wearing those items, you are dumped into a room and left to die.

I know that seems harsh, but we have just gone through some things with people here saying that the Hollywierd types should suffer the consequences of their words and actions.  Well, that applies to all of us.  If you choose not to use available safety equipment and are injured as a result, you are responsible and you suffer the consequences.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Seat belt laws are a great way for communities with funding problems to make up for lost funds...
The feds will probably make a federal law regarding this ...making way for states to make up for lost federal funds and the feds to keep/spend more tax money without returning any to the states imo
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Before the police couldn't pull you over for an alleged seatbelt violation alone.  The BS law has since changed, now they can pull you over for that alone.

Pretty funny how when the law changes it always takes more money out of your pocket.

That said, I think seatbelt laws were implemented more to make money than to save lives.  I wear my seatbelt most of the time because I don't want to pay more BS money to the city than I already pay.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand there are laws like obeying street signs, lights and speed limits that will prevent other drivers from getting hurt, but what right does anyone have to say how safe I HAVE to be INSIDE my own vehicle?
If I don't wear a seatbelt, I AM NOT hurting or bringing other drivers on the road to any harm.
View Quote

Accidents often have more than one point of impact. [red]A properly restrained driver can recover from the first impact and take corrective steps to minimize the risk of additional collisions.[/red] An unrestrained driver can be rendered unconcious, or knocked out of the drivers position, and is unable to take any corrective action between the first point of action and the final point of rest.

But don take my word for it, I only write traffic collison reports for a living.
View Quote

The way [b]I[/b] drive, that statement had an impact on me. I usually buckle up for long fast driving, but not always locally. Your statement had never crossed my mind. It does now, thanks...
I'll let ya know if it ever saves my life!!![snoopy]  (and it might!)
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Seatbelts save lives, NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.

Yet, not having cars would save a lot more lives.  

No alcohol or drugs would do the same.  

And no guns would save even more.  

In fact, if the gov't were to require us all to live inside of giant foam balls, just think how many more lives would be saved.  

And forget eating, no choking deaths allowed.  

No swimming pools=no drowning.  

ad naseum
View Quote

Yet, I rarely drive w/o a seatbelt and wouldn't think of riding a moto w/o a helmet.  But it should be up to ME.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't care if you do or don't wear your seat belt. I don't think that the govt should be able to make you do so however. Same with helmets on motorcycles.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe we should change the law about mandatory use - then add a clause that FORBIDS ANY insurance payments (Medicaid, Medicare too) to those injured in MVA that was NOT wearing belt.  
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seat belts save lives just like airbags. What little I have of my good looks is due to a seat belt. Getting a bruised shoulder is much more enjoyable than getting a new face as your windshield impacts your head at 70 miles an hour. I have to look at enough ugly people already.

If some ass is dumb enough to not wear his belt or to disconnect his air bag great. That gets their genes out of the pool and means less of my taxes to support them. I like the law changed to say it’s completely voluntary but if your injuries are the result of not wearing a belt that your insurance doesn’t cover them. Like wise if while driving around drunk I mash sideways into your car and cause injuries to somebody they can’t sue me for damages caused by their freedom. You can’t force people to be prudent.

Some of you guys are so anti-social, anti-government that I'm willing to bet that you don't set your clocks ahead or behind during daylight savings time because you think it's a government conspiracy to confuse the cows. Just because the government makes something mandatory doesn’t make bad. If you feel strongly about some law violate it but be ready to pay the consequences and pony up the fine or enjoy the fun of plastic facial reconstruction.

I live outside in a field because my aunt lived in a house and it fell in on her and killed her during an earthquake. I use to live under a tree but heard that lighting strikes them. I used to live in a cave but I knew a guy who got attacked by a bear in a cave.

Ah to be young again.
View Quote

No one is arguing that it's their god-given right to be hurled into the windshield at high speed. Nearly everyone has made the same point, that even though they usually wear their seat belt, it's not the governments place to fine someone for not wearing one.

I recently had surgery for a double hernia. Wearing a seat belt was out of the question for nearly two months. But I had to keep looking over my shoulder wondering when the seat belt gestapo were going to come get me. Yes, all I would have to do is explain my situation to the officer and be on my way but the fact remains that it is absolutely no one else's business whether or not I wear my seat belt.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm a retired police officer and I don't/didn't agree with the law either, but I wore the belt on duty and usually wear it now, especially on trips.  That said, I had just gotten off duty and was heading home in my cruiser, when I got struck head on by a drunk driver.  The belt and the air bag saved my life and kept me from having any serious injuries.  My shirt was melted under the area where the seat belt contacted it in the shoulder area from friction when I was thrown forward and before the air bag caught me.  My shoulder also showed the belt bruise on the skin.  All in all, I'm glad I had it on.  The cruiser a 93 Ford Crown Vic was totalled and they had to cut me out of it.
View Quote

And I suppose you gave the poor bastard a ticket, just for that!! Damn cops! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for pointing my situation out specifically larryg, that was soooo damned helpful of you

[:|]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
thanks for pointing my situation out specifically larryg, that was soooo damned helpful of you

[:|]
View Quote
You are welcome.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top