Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That scientist is full of shit.

Is he now? Besides being a well respected scientist and one of the inventors of string theory...I'm sure your contributions to the scientific world are far superior.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is he now? Besides being a well respected scientist and one of the inventors of string theory...I'm sure your contributions to the scientific world are far superior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you should do some research into Kaku before you try and make him a poster child for anything. Beyond that, theories aren't "invented" and Kaku isn't even close to one of the early researchers to propose string theory.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Maybe you should do some research into Kaku before you try and make him a poster child for anything. Beyond that, theories aren't "invented" and Kaku isn't even close to one of the early researchers to propose string theory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't change is accolades or make him full of shit.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
He exists.
She just doesn't care.
It's a problem.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
If you think all this happened by accident, you very naive TBH.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Um, let's skip the Pangea thing. I'm in Georgia, which would put me next to West Africa. I'm already half an hour from Atlanta, which is close enough for my taste.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A feat that no human could accomplish, only a being we would describe as God.

Stop earth rotation for a few hours. Something that couldn't be a trick. Like, put Pangea back together.

That'd do it.

Um, let's skip the Pangea thing. I'm in Georgia, which would put me next to West Africa. I'm already half an hour from Atlanta, which is close enough for my taste.

Yeah, that wasn't thought all the way  through.

The thought does occur to me, if humans are responsible for Adam's sin, at the least shouldn't white Americans be responsible for reparations?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
headline doesn't match the video.

he doesn't claim to have found evidence for god.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Either you believe the Bible or you don't.

Matthew 12:30-32: "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, people will be forgiven every sin and blasphemy. But the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

Mark 3:28-30: "Truly I tell you, all sins and blasphemes will be forgiven for the sons of men. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin. He said this because they [the Pharisees] were saying, ‘He has an evil spirit’."

Luke 12:8-10: "I tell you, whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will also acknowledge him before the angels of God. But he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven."
View Quote

Those quotes are dealing with the "unforgivable sin."  That doesn't discount what I wrote.   Those people, according to Christian theology, didn't deserve salvation to begin with thanks to their own actions.

Salvation itself was meant as a gift.

Are you surprised that turning your nose up at gift, a gift that involved the death of another in your place, in the way described in those passages would be unforgivable?  

Psalm 14:2-3   "The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt; there is none who does good, not even one."

Ephesians 2:1-3   " As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh[a] and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath."

Ephesians 2:5 "Even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—"
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The thought does occur to me, if humans are responsible for Adam's sin, at the least shouldn't white Americans be responsible for reparations?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop earth rotation for a few hours. Something that couldn't be a trick. Like, put Pangea back together.

That'd do it.

Well damn, that makes sense. Thankfully I'm not a Christian and am guilt free!
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That'd do it.
View Quote

What if "God" just plants the seed of life, or pulls back the pendulum, and let's nature
run it's course ? And not something that has the will to affect the course of this world.
What if we're just 1 of a billion experiments in the universe ?

Religion is Man's explanation of some Supreme Being.  None have to be correct.  If
it makes you a better person, I don't see a problem.  Extremists of any religion, including
Atheism, are assholes.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I've seen some things, man.  And some stuff.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The denial is strong in you.

" God is a mathematician."

Listen to the last few seconds of the video . He specifically says that God is a mathematician . His whole video is him explaining mathematical laws that govern the universe .
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you suggesting his claim supports the existence of a Christian god?  

As with any scientific finding, it needs to have evidence capable of being reproduced, peer reviewed, and observable.  As with sciences too, anything "discovered" can also be "undiscovered" as new evidence emerges.  

Personally though I don't give a shit and want nothing to do with a god. Either he exists and is an asshole, exists and is powerless, or doesn't exist at all. None of which do me any good.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Those quotes are dealing with the "unforgivable sin."  That doesn't discount what I wrote.   Those people, according to Christian theology, didn't deserve salvation to begin with thanks to their own actions.

Are you surprised that turning your nose up at gift, a gift that involved the death of another in your place, in the way described in those passages would be unforgivable?  

Psalm 14:2-3   "The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt; there is none who does good, not even one."

Ephesians 2:1-3   " As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh[a] and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath."

Ephesians 2:5 "Even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either you believe the Bible or you don't.

Matthew 12:30-32: "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, people will be forgiven every sin and blasphemy. But the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

Mark 3:28-30: "Truly I tell you, all sins and blasphemes will be forgiven for the sons of men. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin. He said this because they [the Pharisees] were saying, ‘He has an evil spirit’."

Luke 12:8-10: "I tell you, whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will also acknowledge him before the angels of God. But he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven."

Just a suggestion, but you Christians should meet up somewhere and all get on the same page regarding the whole religion thing, then spread the word.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Listen to the last few seconds of the video . He specifically says that God is a mathematician . His whole video is him explaining mathematical laws that govern the universe .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Steven Hawking said this same thing arfcom would say hes full of shit to.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What accolades? He's been out of active research since the early 90's and just last year when he tried to do a Q&A on Higgs boson he mixed it up with Inflation theories and essentially lied to the audience for 20 minutes. Kaku is a celebrity that just so happens to have a background in physics.  Nothing else.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As with any scientific finding, it needs to have evidence capable of being reproduced, peer reviewed, and observable.  As with sciences too, anything "discovered" can also be "undiscovered" as new evidence emerges.  

Personally though I don't give a shit and want nothing to do with a god. Either he exists and is an asshole, exists and is powerless, or doesn't exist at all. None of which do me any good.
View Quote

"Either he exists and is an asshole..."

Like father like son eh ?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.  He'd have to come to earth in the form of a human and do some miracles and stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God would have to come talk to me direct to erase my doubts.

This.  He'd have to come to earth in the form of a human and do some miracles and stuff.

Nice play man.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]
No "scientific proof" is need to establish the existence of trolls.

Trolls be real.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

His opinion is no more or less valid than the thousands of other scientists who don't believe in god.

Also, we've been told by GDers that scientists are all corrupt liars who only work for grant money, and thus, can't be trusted.  Also they are stupid.  So why the hell would you believe them?
ETA::Also, watching the video, the title of the OP, and the article, are completely wrong.  He did not say "definite proof that god exists".  Rather, it seemed to me he was talking about god in the abstract sense, he said the "mind of 'god' is superstrings resonating in hyperspace". He did not say it was an intelligence. He did not say we were specifically created. He did not say any of that shit that the article implies.

He may be a believer. He may not be.  Its not clear from the video.  The only thing that is clear is that website is complete and utter shite.

View Quote

Let's be honest though; even if Kaku and a quorum of scientists had come to the conclusion that god exists, it wouldn't change your mind nor the mind of any atheist.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you just infer that Jesus is an asshole?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well op you've opened up another new can of worms for sure. For most of the atheist that will reply, there is nothing that will change them. Sad but true. They will rebuttal with misguided ignorance, avoid answers, and dance around everything thrown at them.  They will ignore a large number of scientist that believe there is a God, like we even need scientist to prove it, and then throw a bunch of inane answers from some "Supreme Atheist" at this thread. Good luck to all and God Bless everyone.
View Quote

I thought you couldn't get any more off kilter than in the last religion thread.

Yet you up the ante again.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What would tip you from non-believer to agnostic to 'Yeah, ok. Supreme being is there.'
View Quote

this is a good question, but it's tough to answer in its current formulation.

direct, personal exposure would be very compelling, but how could i know that he/she/it/them is/are "supreme"?  i mean, it would be obvious if they were more powerful than normal people, but does power define a god?  maybe he's the only visitor out this way, and we just haven't seen the rest of them.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#25]
The concept itself is invalid.

If it can be "proven", it wouldn't be a concept of "faith", which is kind of the point of all the religions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I thought you couldn't get any more off kilter than in the last religion thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well op you've opened up another new can of worms for sure. For most of the atheist that will reply, there is nothing that will change them. Sad but true. They will rebuttal with misguided ignorance, avoid answers, and dance around everything thrown at them.  They will ignore a large number of scientist that believe there is a God, like we even need scientist to prove it, and then throw a bunch of inane answers from some "Supreme Atheist" at this thread. Good luck to all and God Bless everyone.

He probably thought he was posting in his Safe Space.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If it can be "proven", it wouldn't be a concept of "faith", which is kind of the point of all the religions.
View Quote

no...no it isn't.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have faith in people but don't think that they are God .
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Let's look at the source, shall we?

Site name:  GEOPHILOSOPHICAL ASSOCIATION OF ANTHROPOLOGICAL AND CULTURAL STUDIES

Site header picture:  Some goofy bullshit picture of Aztec ruins to immediately link the mind of the gullible to superstitions

Source:  Wild eyed Asian who posits his discovery in the form of a question

Delivery method:  Web video rather than paper with proofs that could be independently verified by outside sources

Other featured stories:  Isaac Newton’s Lost Alchemy Recipe Rediscovered

Yep.  Seems legit as hell.  Someone get over to the "No One Killed Christ" thread and let them know it's settled.
View Quote

Gents, I can't vouch for the site but Michio Kaku is the real deal. He's one of the foremost minds in theoretical physics and was in part responsible for string theory. You're free to disagree, but his credentials as a scientist are unassailable. Not saying that means he's right, just that he's legit.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Let's be honest though; even if Kaku and a quorum of scientists had come to the conclusion that god exist, it wouldn't change your mind nor the mind of any atheist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
His opinion is no more or less valid than the thousands of other scientists who don't believe in god.

Also, we've been told by GDers that scientists are all corrupt liars who only work for grant money, and thus, can't be trusted.  Also they are stupid.  So why the hell would you believe them?

ETA::Also, watching the video, the title of the OP, and the article, are completely wrong.  He did not say "definite proof that god exists".  Rather, it seemed to me he was talking about god in the abstract sense, he said the "mind of 'god' is superstrings resonating in hyperspace". He did not say it was an intelligence. He did not say we were specifically created. He did not say any of that shit that the article implies.

He may be a believer. He may not be.  Its not clear from the video.  The only thing that is clear is that website is complete and utter shite.

Let's be honest though; even if Kaku and a quorum of scientists had come to the conclusion that god exist, it wouldn't change your mind nor the mind of any atheist.

Would a quorum of scientist saying there isn't a god change your mind?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You also have evidence people exist, unlike god.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's a quote of Stephen Hawking. When physics guys talk about "the mind of God" they're talking about understanding about how the universe works and is ordered, not evidence that it was created.

Here's hawking:

If we do discover a complete theory, it should in time be understandable in broad principle by everyone, not just a few scientists. Then we shall all, philosophers, scientists, and just ordinary people, be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason — for then we would know the mind of God.

Here's another quote from hawking:

Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going.

and another:

We are each free to believe what we want and it is my view that the simplest explanation is there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization. There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that, I am extremely grateful.

source:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So if God's chariot flies overhead and drops boxes of god stuff that we can't explain, does that convince us of god's existence or does that make up cargo cult members living on some isolated island somewhere.  

I think they made that movie back in the 80s and called it "The Gods Must be Crazy"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the display of immense power would still not convince you?

So if God's chariot flies overhead and drops boxes of god stuff that we can't explain, does that convince us of god's existence or does that make up cargo cult members living on some isolated island somewhere.  

I think they made that movie back in the 80s and called it "The Gods Must be Crazy"

Hence the question: What would convince you?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you have definitive proof that we all "exist?" You sure this isn't the matrix , or a simulation , or a dream , or a hallucination . Schizophrenic people are sure their hallucinations exist .
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Gents, I can't vouch for the site but Michio Kaku is the real deal. He's one of the foremost minds in theoretical physics and was in part responsible for string theory. You're free to disagree, but his credentials as a scientist are unassailable. Not saying that means he's right, just that he's legit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Site name:  GEOPHILOSOPHICAL ASSOCIATION OF ANTHROPOLOGICAL AND CULTURAL STUDIES

Site header picture:  Some goofy bullshit picture of Aztec ruins to immediately link the mind of the gullible to superstitions

Delivery method:  Web video rather than paper with proofs that could be independently verified by outside sources

Yep.  Seems legit as hell.  Someone get over to the "No One Killed Christ" thread and let them know it's settled.

False. Much of the physics community has disavowed Kaku and much of the information he has presented to the public through his shows. He has not been in active research for close to thirty years.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Lucifer on a stake.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So you have definitive proof that we all "exist?" You sure this isn't the matrix , or a simulation , or a dream , or a hallucination . Schizophrenic people are sure their hallucinations exist .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just want to know if you really think Jesus is an asshole.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What level of evidence would it take for you to believe in a different God? Say for example Odin or Athena?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw this today. http://ageac.org/en/multimedia/scientist-says-he-found-definitive-proof-that-god-exists-2/

I'm already a believer via the evidence of things not seen, but I'm curious to know what level of empirical evidence would be sufficient for those who don't have faith to say: 'Yeah, ok. God Exists.'

What would tip you from non-believer to agnostic to 'Yeah, ok. Supreme being is there.'

ETA: Poll added.

What level of evidence would it take for you to believe in a different God? Say for example Odin or Athena?

The evidence of things not seen. But then again, I happen to believe Odin, Thor, and Loki are the Norse versions of God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and Satan. At one point their ancestors likely had some version of the truth but past it down incorrectly/ mixed it with other traditions until it became the Norse mythology we all know and love.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

False. Much of the physics community has disavowed Kaku and much of the information he has presented to the public through his shows. He has not been in active research for close to thirty years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you're right, I don't follow the guy, but it sure seems like research to me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course not, which is my point. Atheists often proclaim scientific superiority but if the shoe were on the other foot, they wouldn't change either.

Trying to change someone's mind about faith is like trying to change someone's mind about politics; it's a fool's errand.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Which unsurprisingly is the exact context of my post. It is even exactly what I said.

View Quote

Why did you bother to respond to my original response if you didn't even bother to read it?    

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
We have loads of evidence and data proving man walked on the surface of the moon.   That event happened.  It's fact.    We have photos, videos, samples, eyewitness testimony, etc; and yet there are still disbelievers.

Belief has nothing to do with evidence or the lack of evidence but of the individual person and what they personally believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

God would have to come talk to me direct to erase my doubts.

We have loads of evidence and data proving man walked on the surface of the moon.   That event happened.  It's fact.    We have photos, videos, samples, eyewitness testimony, etc; and yet there are still disbelievers.

Belief has nothing to do with evidence or the lack of evidence but of the individual person and what they personally believe.
This.  Does not matter what it is.  God, or something everyday and mundane.  Someone will disbelieve it no matter how much evidence there is.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Of course not, which is my point. Atheists often proclaim scientific superiority but if the shoe were on the other foot, they wouldn't change either.

Trying to change someone's mind about faith is like trying to change someone's mind about politics; it's a fool's errand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the shoe was on the other foot, and there was scientific evidence of god, you wouldn't need faith to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just a suggestion, but you Christians should meet up somewhere and all get on the same page regarding the whole religion thing, then spread the word.
View Quote

Someone else made that suggestion a bout 1,600 years ago.... and it was such a good suggestion the Christians took it.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If the shoe was on the other foot, and there was scientific evidence of god, you wouldn't need faith to begin with.
View Quote

Nonsense.    How many people believe the moon landing was staged?     How much more evidence can you have that man walked on the moon and yet there are still people who believe it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Someone else made that suggestion a bout 1,600 years ago.... and it was such a good suggestion the Christians took it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, right! You guys are more divided now than ever!
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top