Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow............................................

................while our "place" wasn't hit, makes me glad that we just sold the beach house.

Actually, the primary reason was that the property taxes were around $14K/year.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I still cease to understand human interest with living right on the coast line. Sure its cool to have a beach as your backyard, but nine times out of ten it will eventually become your front yard and that is an inevitability.

Because when you're in college a beach house becomes a pussy magnet.

Or something like that, one might think so.............................................

.........................but when I was part of the Atlantic Fleet with access to a beach house on a prime real estate island, I made the offer to my shipmates about using it.

No one ever took me up on it.

I suppose when you are an adult in the active fleet, you think differently.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:33:22 AM EDT
[#2]
this really opened my eyes.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:38:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not as "horrendous" as they made it out to be.

Not compared to those Japan earthquake pics ...
and not compared to other common hurricanes.  
Yes the damage is bad.  No one is arguing that.  

The damage is simply what is to be expected from a Cat 1 Hurricane and buildings built where they shouldn't be.  And is less than what would be expected from other storms such as cat 2-5.  A super storm it was not.  The people and governments of those areas need to wake up and realize it could have been a lot worse.

I don't have a problem with people showing how bad it was.  I don't have a problem with people calling for aid.  Getting the word out of what hurricanes are capable of and aiding the victims are both good and worthy things.  I do have a problem with people over inflating the power of the storm and giving people the impression that it was somehow more powerful than the weak cat 1 it was.

Every time I see or hear the term "superstorm" applied to Sandy I want to smack how ever it is up side the head.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:53:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not as "horrendous" as they made it out to be.

Not compared to those Japan earthquake pics ...
giving people the impression that it was somehow more powerful than the weak cat 1 it was.  

cut-n-pasted from the last time you spouted off on this:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1389975_NY_and_NJ_worse_than_reports_are_showing_.html&page=4#i36607858

the Saffir–Simpson "Category" scale is based upon windspeed and windspeed only.  it is a simple metric used to classify a hurricane, however a metric which does not take into account many other factors which can cause property damage.  in the case of Sandy, the primary problem was the storm surge –– a result of astronomical high tide coinciding with landfall of a very large and low pressure storm system.  your tidal variation in FL is only about one fourth of north eastern tides (which are typically 5-6 feet), which is a big difference.  add to that a 12-15 foot storm surge, plus 15' waves,  and the trouble starts.  there are coastal areas a 1/2 mile from the beachfront which Sandy pushed water into.

you should note that Sandy's landfall pressure, 940mb, is typical of a Cat 4 hurricane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffir%E2%80%93Simpson_Hurricane_Scale#Category_4

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:12:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm amazed at all the people with expensive boats that did not take them out of the water.  Like what did they think was gonna happen?

leaving large boats IN the water is usually safer than pulling them.

there are generally four options (five if you include sailing the boat completely out of the path of the hurricane)...

1.  hauling the boat and putting it up on blocks at the marina.

for most people this is "option A".  the danger is that the boat "floats" off the blocks.  even if your boat doesn't float off the blocks, if someone else's does your boat is a pawn in a big game of bumper boats.  some folks will leave the plugs out with the boat up on blocks.  the boat gradually fills with water as the sea comes up.  this delays when the boat floats off the blocks.  but again, EVERYONE has to do this for it to work out.  finally, a 15' storm surge accompanies by 15' waves can push ANY boat off of it's blocks.  

2.  hauling the boat and putting it up on blocks somewhere else.

only an option for boats up to about 30-ish feet and with less than 8 foot beam.  you can't put a 40' fishing yacht on a trailer –– weight, width, height, etc are all prohibitive.

3.  staying in your slip ('dock' to most of you) and lengthening the spring lines.

this is one of the most difficult and unpredictable methods, and requires A LOT of neighbor coordination.  foremost there are two kinds of docks –– fixed and floating.  with a fixed dock, the dock stays at one height and the boat moves up and down in relation according to the tide and storm surge.  with a floating dock, everything moves in unison.  ideally.  with either dock type you will need lengthy spring lines and the hope that your fellow boaters have tied up correctly so as to avoid bumper boats.  with a fixed dock the lines have to be long enough to prevent "drowning" the boat, but not long enough to allow the boat to bash the dock structure during high winds/seas.  with a floating dock the biggest danger is the dock breaking away from the pole pilings, and/or a big enough wave "shish-ka-bobing" the boat on a piling.

4.  anchoring the boat on an inland waterway.

this is actually one of the best options.  take the boat up into shallow water, a few feet deeper than the draft, and 'storm anchor' it using 4 anchors.  put 3 off the bow to the windward side, splayed out at about 30 degrees each; and 1 aft to the leeward side.  use tons of scope, 7:1 to 10:1 at least.  see picture below.  now back the boat down and dig the windward anchors in hard.  leave some slop at the leeward end.  it's impossible to get big waves in shallow water, so you will not see the 15' ocean rollers.  the anchors have to hold against the wind.  using the "big sea" theory, you should not have to deal with debris strikes (other boats, broken off docks, timber, etc).  some elect to stay onboard for the storm; others set it up, kiss it goodnight, and dinghy away to shore.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got pics from my brother who lives on the Jersey shore.  It was bad.  I still can't believe we have so many clueless people who live in gulf states saying this was "only a cat 1".  I know that I have stated several times the "cat 1" only measures wind speeds.  It in no way measures storm surge.  The storm surge is what does the damage. The public education in Florida must be so poor that people can not grasp this simple concept. I have in  past threads backed this up with scientific facts.  But I see third grade science is way beyond some people.

DERP!!!!  You yankees don't know how to take a cane.    DERP!!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
wait a minute, you mean barrier islands were supposed to be barriers, not places to build homes?

what the fuck, who woulda thunk it?

and of course us taxpayers get to pay to rebuild all that misguided shit.

they play, we pay...

moral hazard, anyone?

Class envy much?

The people that have those houses pay through the nose in property taxes and for windstorm/flood insurance (assuming it's not paid off and they don't carry it).
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, I totally feel for anyone who loses stuff in disasters like this. But as others have noted, building on the coast and daring Mother Nature to fuck with you is insane. And expecting the rest of us to pick up the pieces and fix it for you with our tax dollars when it gets washed away is just stupid.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if the same technology exist for Biloxi Missisipi pre and post hurricane Katrina?
they didnt just get some water in houses.. it washed them smooth off the map

same thing during Hurricane Ike, beach houses got washed away by something like 24' of water
mother nature is a mean bitch sometimes
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wait a minute, you mean barrier islands were supposed to be barriers, not places to build homes?

what the fuck, who woulda thunk it?

and of course us taxpayers get to pay to rebuild all that misguided shit.

they play, we pay...

moral hazard, anyone?

Class envy much?

The people that have those houses pay through the nose in property taxes and for windstorm/flood insurance (assuming it's not paid off and they don't carry it).

Right, you need to be the top 1% to afford shit in NJ. These people aint poor and can afford to rebuild on their own.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Okay, I totally feel for anyone who loses stuff in disasters like this. But as others have noted, building on the coast and daring Mother Nature to fuck with you is insane. And expecting the rest of us to pick up the pieces and fix it for you with our tax dollars when it gets washed away is just stupid.

and guns should be banned because of Columbine?

there are houses along the shore in NJ and NY that were built long before TX was incorporated as a state.  they stood for nearly two centuries and now because of one hell of a storm you are of the opinion that folks should not build there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Pyne_House

ar-jedi

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top