BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why do you limit God? Salvation is His Psalms 21 & 3. If I call on His name and believe in Him: I shall be saved. The Lord only needs to save me once, if I have to do something to save myself that means Jesus Christ died for nothing; I can save myself afterall.

Are you that clouded in your thought.I dumped religion, you should try it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that's about it for my routine posts in this thread.

What I have attempted to post is biblical basis for a belief that an individual can be saved, receive salvation, and then lose that gift by a negligent or willful rejection of God's gift. I also posted at the end several quotations from Church fathers in order to demonstrate what the historical early Church believed in regard to this issue. As Catholics, we also hold to that original belief as well.

Even if you disagree with the premise, the title, the posts, the responses and the quotes, I at least hope that the perspective that was presented provided some insight.

God bless all.

Why do you limit God? Salvation is His Psalms 21 & 3. If I call on His name and believe in Him: I shall be saved. The Lord only needs to save me once, if I have to do something to save myself that means Jesus Christ died for nothing; I can save myself afterall.

i agree with you for once. we can't forget whosoever shall call upon the name of the lord shall be saved. the idea you can lose salvation is based on works when salvation is free, paid for by Jesus.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

i agree with you for once. we can't forget whosoever shall call upon the name of the lord shall be saved. the idea you can lose salvation is based on works when salvation is free, paid for by Jesus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that's about it for my routine posts in this thread.

What I have attempted to post is biblical basis for a belief that an individual can be saved, receive salvation, and then lose that gift by a negligent or willful rejection of God's gift. I also posted at the end several quotations from Church fathers in order to demonstrate what the historical early Church believed in regard to this issue. As Catholics, we also hold to that original belief as well.

Even if you disagree with the premise, the title, the posts, the responses and the quotes, I at least hope that the perspective that was presented provided some insight.

God bless all.

Clearly a TLDNR post.

Link Posted: 10/2/2013 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If a person loses his justified status with God, does he also lose the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If a person loses his justified status with God, does he also lose the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?
View Quote

Don't lose it til you die, are leave early body... Once you have it...

This is a good one to study on...
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I apologize ahead of time for not reading all the posts of this thread. I was just wanting to address the OP with the title of the thread. It seems with the few posts I did read that the actual topic isn't really talked about, to me at least. I would like to know with scripture that proves that salvation is a process. I would agree with the statement that sanctification is a process, but based on what I've read I'd have to disagree that salvation is a process. Peter addressed the crowd at Pentecost in Acts ch2. In verse 37 the crowd realized what they had done and asked, "what shall we do?" Peter answered them in verse 38 saying, repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sins and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Paul says in Ephesians ch 1 that the Holy Spirit is our seal/guarantee of salvation.
Edit: I am NOT saying I believe once saved always saved, because I don't believe that. I believe you must live out your faith
View Quote

Without wading into this honeypot too deeply....

This thread suffers from trying to make complex distinctions using non technical language, language used by everyone in different ways.

In a broad sense, salvation is a process. incorporating (depending on how deeply you want to look), creation, fall, crucifixion, justification, sanctification, and glorification.

The aspect of salvation you're thinking of is most accurately referred to as justification.  The moment in which Christ takes the guilt of our sin and we are given the righteousness of Christ.

At that point we become, to quote an Augustinian monk, Simul justus et peccator - simultaneously justified and still sinners.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
At that point we become, to quote an Augustinian monk, Simul justus et peccator - simultaneously justified and still sinners.
View Quote

But, according to Roman Catholic doctrine, if you commit a mortal sin, you lose your justification. So a little bit of sin is allowable, but not too much.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:48:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But, according to Roman Catholic doctrine, if you commit a mortal sin, you lose your justification. So a little bit of sin is allowable, but not too much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not about 'a little bit' vs. 'a lot.' If you read the passages below and understand what 'mortal sin' really is, then you cannot deny that at least the possibility of losing your salvation exists. When you willfully and freely choose to reject God, you will not be 'saved.'

1859    Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God’s law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart133 do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin. (1734)

1860    Unintentional ignorance can diminish or even remove the imputability of a grave offense. But no one is deemed to be ignorant of the principles of the moral law, which are written in the conscience of every man. The promptings of feelings and passions can also diminish the voluntary and free character of the offense, as can external pressures or pathological disorders. Sin committed through malice, by deliberate choice of evil, is the gravest. (1735, 1767)

1861    Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God’s forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ’s kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back. However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God. (1742, 1033)

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Its not about 'a little bit' vs. 'a lot.' If you read the passages below and understand what 'mortal sin' really is, then you cannot deny that at least the possibility of losing your salvation exists. When you willfully and freely choose to reject God, you will not be 'saved.'

1859    Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God’s law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart133 do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin. (1734)

1860    Unintentional ignorance can diminish or even remove the imputability of a grave offense. But no one is deemed to be ignorant of the principles of the moral law, which are written in the conscience of every man. The promptings of feelings and passions can also diminish the voluntary and free character of the offense, as can external pressures or pathological disorders. Sin committed through malice, by deliberate choice of evil, is the gravest. (1735, 1767)

1861    Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God’s forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ’s kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back. However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God. (1742, 1033)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never did understand why Catholic feel the need to classify sins. God never states that some sins are worse than others. We just need to take the attitude that we have fallen short and need forgiveness. Now, whatever sin it is that you've committed, ask forgiveness and repent. Sin is sin period. For the wages of sin is death. Why complicate things?
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Its not complex. As believers we should be 'changed beings.' But we are also fallen humans. Some times we simply lapse, sometimes we blatantly disregard the will of God. I think there is a distinct difference between situations.

'I know its wrong but I'm going to sleep with my secretary.'

or

' I really was not as charitable in my response to that person as I should have been.'

There is a difference in both the gravity, volition and the decision making process.

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll try again:
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its not complex. As believers we should be 'changed beings.' But we are also fallen humans. Some times we simply lapse, sometimes we blatantly disregard the will of God. I think there is a distinct difference between situations.

or

' I really was not as charitable in my response to that person as I should have been.'

There is a difference in both the gravity, volition and the decision making process.

View Quote

I'm not trying to be mean here at all, but God doesn't care what your opinion is on sin. The salvation for the murderer and the adulteress is the same salvation for the liar and gossiper. We need to quit saying that Joe Bob's sin is worse than mine, cause at the end of the day if both are saved then all their sins have been wiped clean

I guess we can agree to disagree
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to be mean here at all, but God doesn't care what your opinion is on sin. The salvation for the murderer and the adulteress is the same salvation for the liar and gossiper. We need to quit saying that Joe Bob's sin is worse than mine, cause at the end of the day if both are saved then all their sins have been wiped clean

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or

If you are truly saved, the Lord never leaves you....Satan may wreak havoc on your life, but the Lord is still there.
That's what I believe.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you are truly saved, the Lord never leaves you....Satan may wreak havoc on your life, but the Lord is still there.
That's what I believe.

View Quote

The operative variable is your use of the word 'truly.'

We aren't talking about God leaving us, we are talking about us leaving God.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#14]
2 Peter 1:10-11

Be solicitous to make your call and election permanent, brothers; surely those who do so will never be lost. On the contrary, your entry into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be richly provided for.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top