User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:19:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wonderful book, the writing is fantastic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sadder than The Road?

The Road was more depressing than sad.

Did it end the same? Left you with
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sadder than Brian's Song?
View Quote
Unpossible.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I havent watched it , yet....

Alzheimer's runs in my family , badly. My dad has it , as well as Parkinson's and heart valve issues .

So did his mom....and both her parents .

Im screwed . It's almost like I can feel it coming on when my brain doesnt function like it should . Not sure I want to watch any more suffering.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:26:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Unpossible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sadder than Brian's Song?
Unpossible.

My HS graduation song.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#5]
My Life

Starring Michael Keaton
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#6]
This thread reminded me of that scene in The Naked Gun where Leslie Nielson and Priscilla Presley are walking out of the movie theater laughing their asses off and the camera pans up to to the marquis and it's Platoon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sadder than The Road?

The Road was more depressing than sad.

Agreed.  Great book.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Saddest movie I've ever seen is Marley and me, I love dogs
View Quote

I cant watch sad movies about dogs...  I don't even watch the aspca commercials.

Leaving las Vegas and the road were equally depressing. .
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:48:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I visit my parents regularly and I'm watching something like this happen with my step dad.

I will always remember him as being brilliant. His contributions to the Apollo missions at Cape Canaveral were notable as were the technical challenges he undertook at Los Alamos for more than 30 years. It seemed his symptoms first began right after he retired as he was putting the finishing touches on an airplane he'd built. Having worked on U2's and been a crew chief on a Canberra in the Air Force, he had a fascination with flight, but his plans for such adventures later in life diminished as did his sense of desire for much of anything when the doctors gave him the news. He had just done battle with cancer the year before and was seemingly clear for take off. There came a point when I had to take his guns after he shot a hole through the bedroom wall and he couldn't remember why he had the pistol out in the first place or even shooting it or where he had put it afterward. He tried to patch the hole himself and got side tracked. My mom wasn't there when it happened and she feels that she can't leave him alone anymore. He forgets why he got up from his chair and will panic if someone is not around. He will search through all the pockets of coats hanging in the closet for something which he cannot name. He can read an electrical circuit but can't diagnose anything. He knows his name, he knows he loves my mom, his political views are intact and he still can hold up a few minutes of light conversation. He remembers details from long ago, but not from one hour to the next. When he forgets having already eaten dessert after dinner, I like to think it's an act. He once told me if he ever lost his mind and couldn't make decisions for himself that he would rather not live, but he continues to have moments when he really does appear to enjoy being around and we enjoy his company too (in whatever form we can still have that).

eta:"The Diving Bell And The Butterfly" is one of those movies that can stir up a bit of dust in a room. In a word, it is poignant.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

</thread>
View All Quotes

I haven't watched Grave of the Fireflies in over ten years, and really don't want to ever again.  

I' will say that Where the Red Fern Grows is up there as well and, recently, the Fault in our Stars sorta rattled me.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Million Dollar Baby was sad in the sense that the protaganist tried so hard yet still failed, and eventually committed suicide, but it was wilfull.

In Still Alice, Moore's dementia foils her suicide plot that she had planned months prior. Then it becomes evident that she eventually dies a slow horrible death when the last scene is her in a hospice, unable to even open her mouth or use her vocal cords
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Charlottes web got me choked up
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Guardians of the Galaxy and that poor guy's leg?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:19:36 AM EDT
[#16]
TearJerker disagrees with all these offerings.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Murder In The First is probably the saddest movie I've seen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#18]
What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams was the saddest movie I've ever seen.  Still brings me to tears when I watch it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
old boy was messed up

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/id/e/ea/Oldboy_movie.jpg

felt sad for days

though Alzheimers.....

i would rather die a cruel slow painful death that lasted decades then die not knowing who i am
View Quote

Old boy was one messed up movie. I mean strange. It was almost as bad as that Antonio Banderas movie where he is a plastic surgeon that gives his daughters rapist a sex change, then has sex with that tranny in mexico somewhere.

Antonio Banders mexican tranny thread. Wooo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:34:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My first thought.
View All Quotes

Interesting take on the message of the movie....apparently Japanese see a very different message than westerners do.

In the West the film is seen as an anti-war film; in Japan the moral is that Seita brings disaster by foolishly not simply "putting up with" his Aunt for a short period of time:[citation needed]
Some critics in the West have viewed Grave of the Fireflies as an anti-war film due to the graphic and emotional depiction of the pernicious repercussions of war on a society, and the individuals therein. The film focuses its attention almost entirely on the personal tragedies that war gives rise to, rather than seeking to glamorize it as a heroic struggle between competing ideologies. It emphasizes that war is society's failure to perform its most important duty to protect its own people.

However, director Takahata repeatedly denied that the film was an anti-war film. In his own words, "[The film] is not at all an anti-war anime and contains absolutely no such message." Instead, Takahata had intended to convey an image of the brother and sister living a failed life due to isolation from society and invoke sympathy particularly in people in their teens and twenties, whom he felt needed to straighten up and respect their elders for the pain and suffering they had experienced during arguably the darkest point in Japan's history.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#22]
DAS BOOT
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:43:39 AM EDT
[#23]
The Fisher King was rough too

Robin Williams was a damn good actor
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:44:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Speaking of sad dog movies - the Richard Gere movie called Hachi
IMDB for Hachi

Not a big fan of his, but the dog in it was so awesome. Story was both heartwarming and yet so sad. I think it was based on a real life Japanese story/(movie??).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:49:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Where the Red Fern Grows.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Revolutionary road sucked.
View Quote

Also this!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:58:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Nothing could be as sad as the Dirty Dozen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Also this!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Revolutionary road sucked.

Also this!

Papa papa papa,

annoying movie

I wanted the characters to finally die.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:06:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams was the saddest movie I've ever seen.  Still brings me to tears when I watch it.

View Quote

This.

"Seeking a partner for the end of the world" is the most depressingly horrible movie at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:07:20 AM EDT
[#30]
One of the saddest "movies" I have ever seen was 4 Little Girls.  I absolutely abhor Spike Lee, but it was really really deep...

It was about the church bombing in 1963 where the 4 little girls where killed...Absolutely wrecked me...Shows how truly far we have come in this country...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:10:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Everyone who posted in this thread so far only "think" they know what a sad movie is.  Watch Dear Zachary available now on netflix. Do not bother watching the trailer do not read the synopsis,  guaranteed life changing documentary.  You can all hate me later for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:10:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Aliens.

Poor Bishop
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:12:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Empire of the Sun
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:13:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:20:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I visit my parents regularly and I'm watching something like this happen with my step dad.

I will always remember him as being brilliant. His contributions to the Apollo missions at Cape Canaveral were notable as were the technical challenges he undertook at Los Alamos for more than 30 years. It seemed his symptoms first began right after he retired as he was putting the finishing touches on an airplane he'd built. Having worked on U2's and been a crew chief on a Canberra in the Air Force, he had a fascination with flight, but his plans for such adventures later in life diminished as did his sense of desire for much of anything when the doctors gave him the news. He had just done battle with cancer the year before and was seemingly clear for take off. There came a point when I had to take his guns after he shot a hole through the bedroom wall and he couldn't remember why he had the pistol out in the first place or even shooting it or where he had put it afterward. He tried to patch the hole himself and got side tracked. My mom wasn't there when it happened and she feels that she can't leave him alone anymore. He forgets why he got up from his chair and will panic if someone is not around. He will search through all the pockets of coats hanging in the closet for something which he cannot name. He can read an electrical circuit but can't diagnose anything. He knows his name, he knows he loves my mom, his political views are intact and he still can hold up a few minutes of light conversation. He remembers details from long ago, but not from one hour to the next. When he forgets having already eaten dessert after dinner, I like to think it's an act. He once told me if he ever lost his mind and couldn't make decisions for himself that he would rather not live, but he continues to have moments when he really does appear to enjoy being around and we enjoy his company too (in whatever form we can still have that).

eta:"The Diving Bell And The Butterfly" is one of those movies that can stir up a bit of dust in a room. In a word, it is poignant.
View Quote

I was tapped by my extended family to take care of my 100 year old great-grandmother after it was decided ththat the home she was in was unable to provide the level of care she needed. She was normally what I'd classify as "happy demented", it was great (honestly). I had the opportunity to ask the same line of questions to her and I'd get different details each time.  I learned a lot about the family and their immigimmigration from Italy. Once the dementia has passed the point they don't recognize you it becomes your job to learn as much about their lives as possible, when else do you get to ask the same thing over and over and not get treated like an idiot?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:20:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I had forget all about Brians Song. Thats a sad fucking movie right there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:21:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Everyone who posted in this thread so far only "think" they know what a sad movie is.  Watch Dear Zachary available now on netflix. Do not bother watching the trailer do not read the synopsis,  guaranteed life changing documentary.  You can all hate me later for it.
View Quote

Yeah, this is one I actually recommend people not to watch.  You'll be heartbroken and enraged.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:39:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I found the movie "Jacobs Ladder" very sad for some reason - not crying sad, just extremely depressing
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I found the movie "Jacobs Ladder" very sad for some reason - not crying sad, just extremely depressing
View Quote

+1 and kinda scary all at the same time...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:58:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Saddest movie that most people haven't seen:

Fucked me up for a few days. I never want to see this movie again if I can help it.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top