Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I heard from a guy that got called for recovery on this, it happened on black bear pass. He was thinking the guy felt his wheel in the hole bringing the rear wheel off the ground and he hit his brakes too hard, causing it to tip over. But that's from a 3rd party.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a couple replies in that thread over at T4R that remind me why I can't stand that place.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are right as you can see the same on the passenger side .  

Why would you mount them to the hood and not the roof?
View Quote
Considered "ditch" lights. They light up the sides of the road/trail without reflecting the blinding light off the hood back at the driver. Roof mounted lights aren't all they're cracked up to be, you have to do them right.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Doesn't look too bad. Fix wheel. Fix mirror. White rattlecan. Back in bidness!
View Quote
with its new salvage title

promise that he gets cancelled
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
These things happen
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Imogene and Black Bear continually sneak up on unskilled, new 4x4 drivers and the occasional idiot... It happens fast.  This jeep was brand new.
Jeep rolls on Black Bear Pass 2014
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you get that peculiar notion?

That vehicle won't have a salvage title unless it's totaled and goes through auction.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Just spent a week in Colorado trail riding and was amazed at how many expensive rigs I saw on pretty challenging trails. Tons of Range Rovers, rubicon's, and 4 Runners. Before I switched over to a RZR, my offroad vehicles were older junk because shit like that happens.  limited mag cap aside, I love Colorado.

Napoleon Pass in the buggy a few weeks back.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
monkey_wrench's FJ

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ugh. No good.

I have a buddy with a 14 Rubicon. Bought it new, put 8K worth of widgets on it and clipped a tree going through the trails. Front fell off, frame damage, etc. It's not my money, but I struggle trying to understand the rationale someone would use to buy a $40,000+ vehicle, add 5-10K worth of bolt ons and take take a chance trashing it like that all while you are paying $700ish a month on it. That being said, I really, really want a new 4 runner with 10K worth of bullshit bolted to it.

View Quote
I know a guy who owned a garage specializing in Porsche.
Back in the late 80's early 90's he leased a brand new 944 Turbo S.

Long story short he tracked the car and crashed it.
He tried to buy the parts from Porsche to repair the car but in the lease it was stated that any repairs needed to be done by an approved Porsche shop.

He ended up buying the car just to repair it and sell it.
Needless to say he lost his ass on that one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And that hole his front drivers-side wheel fell into was probably just enough to get him over the tipping point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know wheeling photos never do obstacles justice, but how did that happen?
because thats basically a fire road and I bet you he was going 25 MPH. Slammed on his brakes and tipped off that little step.
And that hole his front drivers-side wheel fell into was probably just enough to get him over the tipping point.
Garanteed that's exactly what happened. If your OEM rig doesn't have some sort of swaybar disconnect and decent down travel, it's just a matter of time before one gets themselves in trouble if they aren't experienced.

I have a TRD Off-Road but I also have a rock crawler with gobs of travel, I have to really remember which I'm playing around in and go back to stock..ish is difficult. The Toy is reserved for mild trails and camp duty mostly for this reason also.

I can't tell if that 4Runner is a Pro or Off-Road version but I believe the Off-Road with KDSS like mine has just under 2" more of down travel (when the swaybar free flows in low range).
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mistakes happen. Good thing we have the internet where your mistake can be immortalized forever and millions of strangers can laugh at you.
View Quote
so true 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#13]
At least it wasn't a TRD Pro
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I recognize the obstacle that he's on, and it's a bit steeper in real life than it looks in the photos.  That said, it appears he tried to go straight through and dropped his left front in the hole.  Normally I stay high, then hard left to the bottom and then hard right.  Looks like a nice day though, last time I was on Black Bear Pass (couple weeks ago) it was raining steady and hard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do rock crawlers ever put water in the tires like a farm tractor? That lowers cog.
View Quote
No and these guys aren't "rock crawlers" either.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Now that's out of the way, he can start Wheeling. 

Seriously, if you haven't put one on it's side, you haven't been off-roading. Pricey rig to learn on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Sadly, this is what we are seeing in the San Juan's and all over the west slope now....Front Rangers with expensive trail rigs that mount go-pros everywhere to record their "adventures".

These are the guys that see you coming down a tight trail and continue up, or the guys that haul ass on the roads with blind curves.  Its getting to where trail riding isn't fun anymore...its more about dumping $$$$$ into your rig and being seen with it parked in Ouray than it is getting out there.

These guys and those BMW riders are getting terrible....
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ugh. No good.

I have a buddy with a 14 Rubicon. Bought it new, put 8K worth of widgets on it and clipped a tree going through the trails. Front fell off, frame damage, etc. It's not my money, but I struggle trying to understand the rationale someone would use to buy a $40,000+ vehicle, add 5-10K worth of bolt ons and take take a chance trashing it like that all while you are paying $700ish a month on it. That being said, I really, really want a new 4 runner with 10K worth of bullshit bolted to it.

View Quote
If I didn't want to thrash it, I wouldn't have paid all that extra money for a Rubicon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
so they wont get damaged in a roll over.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That vehicle won't have a salvage title unless it's totaled and goes through auction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you been to a body shop lately?

All new drivers side panels and sheet metal, A and C pillars, hood, front plastic plus who knows how many airbags, I bet $20k plus easy which will be 60% so ins totals it and offers him a buyback of 20k or so= salvage title
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]
DP
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I always wondered if auto insurance would cover something like this?
View Quote
Insurance?

Not just "No.", it's "Hell, no!"
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why do people think putting a 90lbs spare tire and rim on the roof is helping the center of gravity?
View Quote
Because it looks awesome  bro!  I look like Im ready to cross the Sahara bro!

As soon as I saw the pic on off-road net I knew the deal.  60k vehicle with every option except one- experienced driver.   The unbalanced gear distribution was just tip of the iceberg.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do rock crawlers ever put water in the tires like a farm tractor? That lowers cog.
View Quote
beet juice
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That is a very heavy spare tire at the very top of the truck. I prefer low gravity builds with a lot of skid plates.
View Quote
That, PLUS actually LOOKING at the road, and planning the correct route AROUND hazards
like that goes a very long way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#26]
No luck finding out who it was, if he is a member, he sure as shit is not fessing up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Weird my taco had an option to turn off the side curtain airbags. I think it specifically said if offroading and going on inclines turn them off so they dont fire. Im guessing they fired, scared the shit out of him and he hooked it onto its side
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't dead-kid sad but major repair bill sad.

Can't roll over to fix the airbags. I think that is like $5k or more alone, provided you can even get them with the takata recall fiasco

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239441/IMG_0173_JPG-309631.jpg
Weird my taco had an option to turn off the side curtain airbags. I think it specifically said if offroading and going on inclines turn them off so they dont fire. Im guessing they fired, scared the shit out of him and he hooked it onto its side
I think the RSCA disable button was eliminated from 4runners a few years ago. Used to be left of the wheel on dash.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF he (or she) makes an insurance claim.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is that a Renegade in front of him?
View Quote
Yes,  LOL
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#30]
It looks almost like the windshield and rear glass are fine, which would mean A pillars are fine. Flip over, continue on, get new doors if needed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Was this one the recent fatal?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
i'm not sure, I think the Land Cruiser that rolled recently was the fatal one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#33]
These things happen when you leave the safety of the mall parking lot.

ETA: Beautiful landscape.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#34]
All that money just to climb over stuff a 14 year old can roll over with a rat fucked 1990 KDX200 :(((((
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually appears the answer is "some people do, and have for over 10 years"

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/#/topics/220766?page=1

Here is one from AZ rock crawling website:
http://azrockcrawler.com/_images/tech/2007/5-16-07tireballast/tireballast.html

Was evidently widespread enough that they discussed regulating it for competition in 2003.
https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?4068-quot-weighted-quot-tires-and-rockcrawling

"weighted" tires and rockcrawling
OK, so it's no big secret that running large amounts of water in tires at rockcrawling competitions is now the norm. I believe that 7 or 8 out of the top 10 in Farmington were running water, or so I've been told.

We've been chatting about this around the shop lately, and I'd like to know what you guys think about my idea.

I'm not saying outlaw the use of water, or ANY other form of weight (calcium pellets for example), but regulate it's use to even things out a bit.

They could set an individual tire/rim weight limit. For example, Carl's buggy has a tire/rim weight of approx. 125 lbs. each. That is definitely not light! They are steel rims with 1/4" centers along with inner and outer beadlock rings that are 1/4" thick. 37" Krawlers are not super light either.

Here's the plan... just to be on the safe side, allow 200 lbs. for each tire/rim. If you want to take your 125 pounder and make it 200 dead on, go for it. Anyone can afford a freakin' bathroon scale from Walmart, so I don't think it would be a great inconvenience.

They could easily do random checks, or simply do a check of the Top 5 or so finishers immediately after the event (or at the end of each day of competition).

Alright then, bring it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#36]
You've got to get driving experience somewhere, he just gained a bunch of offroading knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I know wheeling photos never do obstacles justice, but how did that happen?
View Quote
The 75 qt yeti filled with ice and beer was unsecured in the back. When he took the side hill it shifted and rolled the truck on its side...
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks like someone threw their 4x4 down the driveway for that battle worn look.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You've got to get driving experience somewhere, he just gained a bunch of offroading knowledge.
View Quote
Lol, do you ever "wheel" your Avatar? My uncle damn near rolled a tractor like that in the flattest quarter in Sherman county KS.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeager edition 4Runner FTW
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With Glock airbags.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

All new drivers side panels and sheet metal, A and C pillars, hood, front plastic plus who knows how many airbags, I bet $20k plus easy which will be 60% so ins totals it and offers him a buyback of 20k or so= salvage title
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would buy that for $20k, delete the airbags that blew, replace the interior bits that got damaged by the bags going off, any broken glass and wheel it as is.
Has that thrown down the driveway look and I wouldn't be afraid to scratch it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know the outcome. Obviously the helicopter is a bad sign. It happened two days ago.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#44]
And that wasn't at the worst part of it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Lol 4runner
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#46]
The second pic does look like the descent into telluride from black bear.

Black bear is a pretty nasty pass, but it doesn't look like he even made it to the interesting spots.   Probably a good thing because if he had done that further down he probably would have died.

Some things are worse than rolling a new truck- as the other care flight picture posted indicates.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#47]
meh.

if it's a TRD Pro it probably didn't even hurt the resale.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is that a Renegade in front of him?
View Quote
sure looks like it.
I think you can get a Renegade Trailhawk.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is it not?  It does say "Toyota" on the front of it, which I'm pretty sure is a TRD PRO exclusive.

Serious question for those "in the know" or experienced.  I'm planning on buying a TRD PRO 4Runner.  I don't want to flip it, roll it, or otherwise seriously fuck it up.  How does one avoid doing this, while still having some fun off road with it?  I'm seeing a lot about skill level...obviously, mine is limited.  How do you stay within your skill level?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is it not?  It does say "Toyota" on the front....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it not?  It does say "Toyota" on the front....
Has the Trail (Trd off-road in 2017) rather than trdpro wheels.

People put the trdpro grill bars on Aftermarket.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top