Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#1]
My sister has nutria fur pillows on her couch from when we used to go duck hunting down there.  Nice and soft!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There was a COPS episode several years ago that showed how they did this. Basically 2 SWAT members cruised around in the back of a truck popping nutria with suppressed 10/22s. I thought it quite possibly was one of the coolest things I had ever seen a PD do.

there was also an episote of "insomniac" where the host bumped into a county crew and they let hit pop a few.. cool as hell.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dave Attel did this for some city down south on one of his Insomniac shows. A couple city workers drive around the canals in the back of a pick up, and plink off the nutria. It didn't look all that fun.

I saw the same episode (New Orleans) and it looked like a blast (IMHO)

At the end of the episode Dave declared; "Oh, and MANY animals were harmed in the making of this show"

I have seen these things in N.O. They are not native. They were imported many years ago in the hopes of breeding for the fur industry. Locals tell me they can/do reak havoc on drainage systems, native species, plantings, etc.

I am told the meat is bad but a few tanned furs might be nice.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Shooting the nutria in the canals was started many years ago on the orders of (suburb of New Orleans) Jefferson Parish's legendary Chinese Sherrif Harry Lee, who passed away recently. Harry Lee Obit.  The nutria in most of Jefferson Parish have learned to clear out when slow moving vehicles are around, so the hunting is not as easy as it used to be.  

If cooked properly, it tastes pretty good; but I'd rather have a prime rib any day.   If you go to Mulatte's or Michaul's restaurants in New Orleans, I think you can try it for yourself.  They used to let people have a free sample, but I haven't been since Katrina, so I don't know if they still do that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Next on Dallas SWAT:  Nutria Nightmare.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hunting Nutria in with suppressed .22s in New Orleans with Dave Attel

I remembered watching this episode of "Late Night With Dave Attell" years ago and immediately thought of this when I read the original post.

Back when I watched it I remembered thinking "What kind of fucked-up police department gives suppressed rifles to a drunk guy and rides down the highway at 5mph spotlighting and shooting rodents in the middle of the night?"

And then Hurricane Katrina happened and the IRS and FBI's audit showed us exactly what kind of fucked up police department NOPD was.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if they get to turn in the tails for cash?

www.wlf.state.la.us/experience/nutriacontrol/nutriacontrolprogram/
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Let some of these suckers go - they'll clean 'em out, and get rid of careless drunks at the same time!

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Just make sure it really is a Nutria and not some guy out for a snorkel....

Brian
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hunting Nutria in with suppressed .22s in New Orleans with Dave Attel

That was almost like the video version of South Park. I was just waiting for cartmen and kyle to show up just in time to watch kenny take a .22 to the forehead.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#12]
30 or so years ago, the town would have gotten volunteers from among the citizenry to do it for free.  Now, we have to pay OT to a SWAT team.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top