Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
bring back the Swede 6.5×55mm
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems like either would be a good choice with both their parent cases being the 308 and they have near identical performance.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, they are excellent for long range accuracy. Of course, that isn't really the only concern for a military cartridge, now is it?  Doesn't do much good to hit a target at long range and not have enough energy to kill.  So while the accuracy potential is higher, the lethality is not, so why throw away hundreds of millions of dollars to make the change?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fad caliber.

lets jump on the band wagon.
Lol, a fad caliber that absolutely dominates nearly every long rance precision match it's allowed to compete in, and has for some time.  Get a clue.
Yep, they are excellent for long range accuracy. Of course, that isn't really the only concern for a military cartridge, now is it?  Doesn't do much good to hit a target at long range and not have enough energy to kill.  So while the accuracy potential is higher, the lethality is not, so why throw away hundreds of millions of dollars to make the change?
You serious Clark?

Go check out some ballistics charts comparing the two. The 6.5 has a higher bc bullet and retains more energy down range than the 308 per comparible bullet weights.

There is a reason the 308 guys call it a cheater caliber.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Should also replace the 223 with 6.5 grendel
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't see that happening with the millions of magazines that the military owns that wont work reliably with the Grendel round.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm no engineer, but I know an M240 barrel can be swapped out pretty quickly.  And that's pretty much all that's involved.

As for penetration... how much would be lost by going to slightly lighter (but with better sectional density) bullets going a little faster?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder how easily our current stock of 240s could be rechambered for 6.5. Hope the engineers here can enlighten us.

Logistics aside. I doubt 7.62 NATO is going anywhere as the military will probably want to keep the penatration it provides.
I'm no engineer, but I know an M240 barrel can be swapped out pretty quickly.  And that's pretty much all that's involved.

As for penetration... how much would be lost by going to slightly lighter (but with better sectional density) bullets going a little faster?
No loss, it is a gain.  The combination of higher sectional density, and retained downrange velocity counteracts the slightly lighter weight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1,000+ yard small varmint / small game shots?  Yeah I'm calling bullshit on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at BC and SD of 6.5 vs 308 I can definitely see how you would come to that conclusion. Having seen ground squirrels and rock chucks shot at 1k plus yards with the 6.5 and only being slightly dazed by it even when shot in the face I agree that it's not a killing round.
1,000+ yard small varmint / small game shots?  Yeah I'm calling bullshit on that.
You're calling BS on the distance but not the "only being slightly dazed" part?

Perhaps your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. I suggest you tap-rack-bang your head.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at BC and SD of 6.5 vs 308 I can definitely see how you would come to that conclusion. Having seen ground squirrels and rock chucks shot at 1k plus yards with the 6.5 and only being slightly dazed by it even when shot in the face I agree that it's not a killing round.
I've shot hundreds of chucks over the years and would like to add some observations of my own.

1) the guy who successfully shot multiple chucks at over a thousand yards is a superhuman marksman with the world's most accurate rifle.

2) the Chuck that has taken a round of 6.5 in the face and simply walks it off has an alter ego known as Clark Kent.

3) the tracker who can find a chuck that's been shot over 1000 yards away is remarkable, especially one that's still walking around uninjured.

4) anyone who can determine from over 1000 yards away that a groundhog has been, in fact, shot in the face but remains uninjured is a superhuman.

5) I love GD.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Given that 260 and 6.5 are ballistic cousins of each other, it's going to come down to cost. Although tooling up a small line at Lake City for either of those rounds wouldn't cost much in theory, by military standards.
With precision ammunition so much of it's efficacy is in its consistency. I really hope they get this right if the military makes a big switch.
View Quote
Not even a factor in this decision.  Bullets are the same.  powder loads are relatively the same.  When spooled up for high volume production case cost is the same.

This decision comes down to which of two nearly identical cases performs better.  And the Army will be following shortly behind.   6.5, 300 Win Mag, and 338 Norma are the future for the US mil snipers.

Although Snipers are taking the lead there will be more wide spread use of 6.5 and 338 in the future.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
.260 carbine/.260 LMG/.260 sniper. .260 everything.

Put Americans to work/buy American.

Change everything. Make billions of rounds. Force NATO to adopt new standard round if we are to continue disproportionately buoying NATO. Export sales.

MAGA.
View Quote
Starting with a clean slate? Sure. But that is a fantasy.

What's your plan for our massive stockpiles of existing weapons and small arms ammunition?

You could subtitle your plan: How to waste defense funds on minuscule performance increases.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think 6.5 Grendel would be better.

Does .260 Remington fit in a standard AR-15 pattern or does it need AR-10 dimensions?
View Quote
That's a horrible idea.  With comparable 140 gr  bullets you are looking at ~2000 fps,  vs ~2500 fps muzzle velocity.    The Ar-10/308 family of cartridges is needed for a precision application.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
6.5x55 or 7mm08
View Quote
X55 is too long.

308 always should have been 7/08. Creed just edges it these days with the new bullets but with half the barrel life.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love GD, it gives a place for people who have no idea what they are talking about to spew bullshit.

Look up the ballistics tables for M118Lr and a 130 or 140 gr 260 load.   Guess which one has about 50% more energy at 1000 yards,
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't see that happening with the millions of magazines that the military owns that wont work reliably with the Grendel round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Military is already in the process of replacing all their magazines with ones compatible with M855A1.

Buying all new magazines is far down on the lists of costs involved with replacing a cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember when the mill was looking at the  6.5 Grendel when it was a fad.

This too, shall pass.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wonder how easily our current stock of 240s could be rechambered for 6.5. Hope the engineers here can enlighten us.

Logistics aside. I doubt 7.62 NATO is going anywhere as the military will probably want to keep the penatration it provides.
View Quote
Ironically, the easiest small arm in inventory to convert over is the m14.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Didn't SOCOM just pick the .300 Norma Magnum as the new ASR round?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
They were looking at the .300NM to replace the .300WM.

I don't see the cost in performance for a marginally 10% gain over the .300WM.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I love GD, it gives a place for people who have no idea what they are talking about to spew bullshit.

Look up the ballistics tables for M118Lr and a 130 or 140 gr 260 load.   Guess which one has about 50% more energy at 1000 yards,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

S
A
R
C
A
S
M
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, and the fad happened about a century ago.  Then everyone got stupid and jumped off of the band wagon to sacrifice about 5-6 decades of small arms and cartridge design on the altar of the .30 rifle bullet.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fad caliber.

lets jump on the band wagon.
Yeah, and the fad happened about a century ago.  Then everyone got stupid and jumped off of the band wagon to sacrifice about 5-6 decades of small arms and cartridge design on the altar of the .30 rifle bullet.  
Dude, .308 is the "fad" caliber.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Ah, they're looking for something for the SASS (reading is fundamental)...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#23]
260 Rem vs 6.5 Creedmoor

What's the optimum barrel length for each 23-24" ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#24]
they can ditch 7.62 nato...hell nato can ditch the 7.62,   as long as they have to surplus out all the old ammo to US citizens, ,  I don't give a damn what they decide to go to.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't see the cost in performance for a marginally 10% gain over the .300WM.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides the performance gains, it's also a cost/logistics savings, because now they only need 2 bolt faces instead of three.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#26]
SOCOM wants to replace the SCAR. Glad they've seen the light.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Change everything. Make billions of rounds. Force NATO to adopt new standard round if we are to continue disproportionately buoying NATO. Export sales.

MAGA.
View Quote
And what's the barrel life of a .260 carbine?

Doesn't .260 burn out barrels? Or is that a different intermediary caliber?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had heard this too. I was under the impression that Todd Hodnett was already training delta cag blacktical units at his site with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
SOCOM wants to replace the SCAR. Glad they've seen the light.
View Quote
The semi auto sniper in question is the M110. SCAR isn't going anywhere.

I love when people just make shit up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The semi auto sniper in question is the M110. SCAR isn't going anywhere.

I love when people just make shit up.
View Quote
I would be ok with the SCAR going in the trash can with the AK.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

MAGA.
View Quote
Hey, if .mil wants to dump millions of 7.62 rounds on the surplus market, I'm all for it
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Socom isn't looking for a MG because of the cost to performance increase ratio. GD always has to take it to the next level of uninformed silliness.

A new MG is a major undertaking where the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Minor small arms performance increases that delight gun nerds are rather unimportant on the combined arms battlefield where there are many options for long range fires beyond small arms alone. CAS, Tube arty, mortars, javelin, tripod MGs, etc

Such a project would mean at minimum a new feed tray, top cover, feed pawls, operating springs and a new disengrating belt link design as well as the new ammo which would be needed in ball and tracers a minimum. AP and API would also be desirable.

Everyone one of these subsystems has to be tested independtly and with one another.
View Quote
Oh hell, I know that... I just got wound up thinking about how much the ~.30cal rifle/MG cartridge has screwed up small arms, and I get carried away.  

It actually would be interesting just out of curiosity to see what all would be involved in swapping a 240 over to .260R... it's the same case isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Oh hell, I know that... I just got wound up thinking about how much the ~.30cal rifle/MG cartridge has screwed up small arms, and I get carried away.  

It actually would be interesting just out of curiosity to see what all would be involved in swapping a 240 over to .260R... it's the same case isn't it?
View Quote
To 260, no change other than barrel. CM might require more. FWIW early MAG58s were available in 6.5x55.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Perhaps your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. I suggest you tap-rack-bang your head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I definitely can't talk to the terminal ballistics in his claim, but there are indeed people who hunt varmints at 1000 yards. Been for some time. I couldn't do it, though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

SOCOM wants a 6mm or 6.5 lapua ?What the pros use
View Quote
Good read, thanks. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Just when I thought this thread couldn't possibly get more any more retarded, Joglee showed up.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can drop 1/3 of the bolt faces and magazines required and 300NM is slightly more accurate than WM or 338LM. It's not as clear cut for the military as it is for reloaders though, a belted case is a lot less annoying to people who sell their once fired for scrap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ironically, the easiest small arm in inventory to convert over is the m14.
View Quote
With what tools? Which armorers?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just when I thought this thread couldn't possibly get more any more retarded, Joglee showed up.

View Quote
Look, everyone knows the SCAR sucks. Let's replace it with a 6.5 AR.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Besides the performance gains, it's also a cost/logistics savings, because now they only need 2 bolt faces instead of three.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not much savings. A bolt head isn't that expensive and they last a while. You're still limited to probably 1300-1500 rounds in barrel life for a round that is 2-3 times more expensive than .300 win (at least our price) with about a 10% gain in range. 

10% isn't much when you also include the shooter and conditions.

They could just go with .338 Lapa and .308 and eliminate the .300 magnums and probably come out even or cheaper.
2 bolt heads, 2 mags, 2 longer lasting barrels.

.338 for long range and .308 for interchangeability with other weapon systems
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Military is already in the process of replacing all their magazines with ones compatible with M855A1.

Buying all new magazines is far down on the lists of costs involved with replacing a cartridge.
View Quote
Agree. More importantly it's desirable to reset your magazine inventory from time to time to cull older or worn magazines.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Check out the 6mm Lee Navy from 1895.  Long 112 grain bullet at 2600 fps.  Pretty much the same idea getting kicked around 120 years later.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Sniper rifles OK. But as a taxpayer I think the .308 in an MG kills things dead enough. We don't need to retool the whole damned thing right now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Hmm....I wonder if Mr LaRue's recent releasing of a .260 was a coincidence

Choose wisely
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Look, everyone knows the SCAR sucks. Let's replace it with a 6.5 AR.
View Quote
Oh no, you aren't baiting me Into a Scar/416 debate in a Hammermill thread. It's like Inception,  I may never get out of it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Off the top of my head DPMS and JP make 260 and 6.5 CM AR-pattern semis.  Wilson has a 6.5 CM (and 338 Federal heh).
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are hobbyists who specialize in that. It's very difficult.

A friend was at a range in CO with 10th SFG once to help his friend Malcolm demonstrate the AI AWM in 338LM. They got bored with the targets and started shooting prairie dogs in the impact at 1100 yards. This earned them a long asschewing from a CPT. At some point Mr. Cooper asked "are you quite finished? The real question isn't why am I shooting them, it's why can't your men."
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
6.5 Creedmor has a sharper shoulder than the 260, I'm curious how it would feed in a semi auto application.

260 Rem would be pretty much plug and play in a bolt or semi rifle.
View Quote
It works.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
6.5 has a higher hit probability and more energy at distance. It would be a step up in killing power.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Are you trying to summon him?
View Quote
Say his name three times in the mirror and he'll start a thread about what he read on Soldier Systems.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top