Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:52:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Hahaha you posted in total concern for a baby and you were met with people afraid you talking bad about smoking, its great aint it? I would think that she maby doesn't care the most about her child if she has acted like you say she has, and I must say that him not knowing about it before now, especially a pack a day , does not pass the smell test.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hahaha you posted in total concern for a baby and you were met with people afraid you talking bad about smoking, its great aint it? I would think that she maby doesn't care the most about her child if she has acted like you say she has, and I must say that him not knowing about it before now, especially a pack a day , does not pass the smell test.

and your post does not pass the spell test.

I had to read it 3 times to decipher your intended point!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you thought about having a private consult with her physician on this?  Get things out in the open, get it documented, and bring in her doctor to confront her on the issue.

It sounds like some day, you may be needing to gain custody of the child yourself.  If she'll lie about one thing, she'll lie about others.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:26:02 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife smoked while she was pregnant with my son.

We consulted the OB-GYN and he said that while it was not ideal, people make more of a big deal about it than it really is. He asked her to cut down with the goal of stopping after the baby was born. He also said that there was some research which suggested that the effects of nicotine withdrawl on the mother were harder on the growing baby than were the effects of smoking. My son was born perfectly healthy (7lbs 4oz).

I quit smoking about 6 months after my son was born. My wife quit around the same time but has since picked the habit back up. In any case I'm not concerned, our home is smoke free, we smoke outside as we don't like the stink in the house.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Hope it comes out ok. I use to work with a chick who smoked half a pack a day while knocked up. Baby was very small, heart problems, etc...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:36:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I know my wife and I both do everything in our power, as responsible parents, to ensure our children (born and unborn) will grow up healthy.  If there was an opportunity to increase those odds we'd do it without hesitation, because that's what good parents do.

To not employ that logic confuses me.  Why would you, as a father or mother, want to even REMOTELY risk any harm to your children....especially when the risk (however small or large) is due solely to your own addictions and/or perversions?

To me, being a parent is putting the children's well being first, hands down, no matter what, no questions asked.  I would give my life for my kids, and I couldn't live with myself nor could my wife if we put them at risk because we were too self centered to shelve irresponsible behavior.

Parents are accountable for their children.  I guess I don't see any room for compromise there....but I suppose others do.

Which brings me back full circle to my original statement, some people are self centered and really fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Rather than being a lying, no good for nothing, whoring slut, more than likely she's just addicted to nicotine and is too weak minded to give it up.  While I myself have never been addicted to anything I watched my husband quit chewing and often wonder if I myself would have been strong enough to presevere through that process.  It was very difficult for him to quit.  Now being a mother of 3 I can say unborn child is quite the motivator but again not being addicted I don't know.  I do know that I drank coffee while prego and was often told I shouldn't.  My favorite come back was my doctor told me the main side effect of drinking coffee while pregnant was lower birth weights and I could use a lower birth weight.  [my kids were all pretty big].  It usually got a snicker but to be honest with you, I worried about it but kept on drinking my morning coffee.

Patty
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:44:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!  It's called parenting, Darwin style.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Rather than being a lying, no good for nothing, whoring slut, more than likely she's just addicted to nicotine and is too weak minded to give it up. ...
Patty

Yeah, I kind of wondered how that leap of logic was made.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:48:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rather than being a lying, no good for nothing, whoring slut, more than likely she's just addicted to nicotine and is too weak minded to give it up. ...
Patty

Nicotine, crack, yeah I guess principal isn't important here, let's focus on the drug.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I know my wife and I both do everything in our power, as responsible parents, to ensure our children (born and unborn) will grow up healthy if there was an opportunity to increase those odds we'd do it without hesitation.

To not employ that logic confuses me.  Why would you, as a father or mother, want to even REMOTELY risk any harm to your children....especially when the risk (however small or large) is due solely to your own addictions and/or perversions?

To me, being a parent is putting the children's well being first, hands down, no matter what, no questions asked.  I would give my life for my kids, and I couldn't live with myself nor could my wife if we put them at risk because we were too self centered to shelve irresponsible behavior.

Parents are accountable for their children.  I guess I don't see any room for compromise there....but I suppose others do.

Which brings me back full circle to my original statement, some people are self centered and really fucking stupid.

I agree 100%.

IMHO, smoking while pregnant is pretty selfish...

I won't let anyone smoke around my kids. I'm not a non-smoking nazi, you all can do what you want, but my kids' wellbeing is my responsibility and my priority.

Heh, my father in law has just been diagniosed with Emphysema after smoking three packs a day for fifty years ... it ain't gonna be pretty.

Why take the risk?

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow...just wow!
Years ago, they DID NOT KNOW the dangers of fetal alcohol syndrome OR the affects of cigarettes on babies...so that excuse is irrelevant.
When I unexpectedly found out I was pregnant, the first thing I did was lament over having had a few glasses of mead over the weekend and my smoking. The doc told me that since I was only 5 weeks along (and since you usually find out at around that time) not to worry...but to NOT drink or smoke from now forward. He explained that by lighting up a cigarette I would be stealing  oxygen from the fetus. He told me to picture myself standing over his crib with a pillow over his face...not enough to smother him, just enough to cut his intake. I was horrified. I did not smoke thru either pregnancy nor while I nursed. Smoking in my home and car is a nono as well.
If you cannot put your child first in utero, then you won't do it afterwards....
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I know my wife and I both do everything in our power, as responsible parents, to ensure our children (born and unborn) will grow up healthy.  If there was an opportunity to increase those odds we'd do it without hesitation, because that's what good parents do.

Amen, Brother!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Patty

Nicotine, crack, yeah I guess principal isn't important here, let's focus on the drug.

I didn't say parenting wasn't important - I was merely eluding to rather than being hostile towards the mother, the father should be compassionate and HELP his wife quit.  I believe that would be far more productive than insulting her by demanding a paternity test.  I don't think my husband could have or would have quit chewing if it hadn't been with my support.  In fact the reason he quit was because of our son.  He knew that if he kept chewing more than likely Wyatt would chew [he himself picked up the habit from his father].  However the process of quitting was difficult to say the least and I supported him as much as possible.  Maybe it would be wise for the husband to buy some patches and look at his wife's cigerette problem as a family issue and help.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:53:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I was talking to a good friend of mine today and he told me that he discovered last night that his wife, who is 8 months pregnant with their first child, has been smoking a pack a day all through the pregnancy.

What kind of loser does something that they now will harm their child? He is livid and he doesn't know what to do. WTF?

Shoulda been more careful who he picked for breeding.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I know my wife and I both do everything in our power, as responsible parents, to ensure our children (born and unborn) will grow up healthy if there was an opportunity to increase those odds we'd do it without hesitation.

To use your own logic against you, you should remove all guns from your house. the odds of danger are higher than households without. I wouldn't have brought it up, but you did say that you weren't even willing to REMOTELY risk (see I can capitalize also) the safety of your children.

You should also probably remove the pointy things, all electricity, go ahead a bubble wrap everything...

Obviously that is silly. I agree with you assertion that parents should take all reasonable precautions. I even agree that women shouldn't smoke while pregnant, however as someone who has been addicted to nicotine in the past I would like to ask for some understanding about the addiction. We're not talking about crack or meth here...

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:54:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wow...just wow!
Years ago, they DID NOT KNOW the dangers of fetal alcohol syndrome OR the affects of cigarettes on babies...so that excuse is irrelevant.
When I unexpectedly found out I was pregnant, the first thing I did was lament over having had a few glasses of mead over the weekend and my smoking. The doc told me that since I was only 5 weeks along (and since you usually find out at around that time) not to worry...but to NOT drink or smoke from now forward. He explained that by lighting up a cigarette I would be stealing  oxygen from the fetus. He told me to picture myself standing over his crib with a pillow over his face...not enough to smother him, just enough to cut his intake. I was horrified. I did not smoke thru either pregnancy nor while I nursed. Smoking in my home and car is a nono as well.
If you cannot put your child first in utero, then you won't do it afterwards....

+1

Good for you, PM!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I didn't say parenting wasn't important - I was merely eluding to rather than being hostile towards the mother, the father should be compassionate and HELP his wife quit.  I believe that would be far more productive than insulting her by demanding a paternity test.  I don't think my husband could have or would have quit chewing if it hadn't been with my support.  In fact the reason he quit was because of our son.  He knew that if he kept chewing more than likely Wyatt would chew [he himself picked up the habit from his father].  However the process of quitting was difficult to say the least and I supported him as much as possible.  Maybe it would be wise for the husband to buy some patches and look at his wife's cigerette problem as a family issue and help.

the voice of reason. That seems like an appropriate response. +1
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll just don my flame suit here..

I smoked while pregnant with my daughter.. roughly 1/2 a pack a day.

My daughter had to be induced to get her out!! That child was overdue.

The doctor told me the worst that would happen, is her birth weight would be decreased.  Decreased to the maximum tune of 1/2 a lb.  

My daughter was 6 lbs, 4 oz.  I was 6 lbs, 4 oz. My ex was 6 lbs, 4 oz. when born.

My daughter is hardly ever sick.  My mother smoked while pregnant with me.  My mother smoked while pregnant with my brother.

The ideas of what major harm smoking can do while pregnant are blown out of proportion.

The poster who suggested if she lies about smoking, how can he be sure the baby's even his is a fucking moron.  Talk about blowing things out of proportion!

That is all.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:01:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
To use your own logic against you, you should remove all guns from your house. the odds of danger are higher than households without. I wouldn't have brought it up, but you did say that you weren't even willing to REMOTELY risk (see I can capitalize also) the safety of your children.

You should also probably remove the pointy things, all electricity, go ahead a bubble wrap everything...

WTF?!?!  lol.....shaddup get that liberal safety crap outta here.  Casa De Hokie is secure.

You can't use my logic against me here, because I'm right.  If being pregnant can't kick an addiction - then nothing can.  It's an addiction - not a life support system.  Get a grip and acquire some self discipline...

Do it for the children.  REALLY.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
WTF?!?!  lol.....shaddup

You can't use my logic against me here, because I'm right.  If being pregnant can't kick an addiction - then nothing can.  It's an addiction - not a life support system.  Get a grip and acquire some self discipline...

Do it for the children.

Understand one thing. I agree with you. It would be best to stop smoking.

HOWEVER, part of life is taking acceptable risks. Our OB-GYN said that the overall risk to the baby was quite small. Like the poster said a couple of posts up, our Dr said the risk was lower birth weight and that then it was only a risk, not a certainty and like I said earlier, he pointed out research that said that the effects of withdrawl could be harder on the baby than the actual smoking. This applies to in the womb only...obviously second hand smoke is another story.

My wife is trying to quit. Like I said earlier, I quit 6 months after the birth of my son. My wife quit at the same time, however it's obvious that the nicotine affects her differently as she is having a much harder time quitting.

I'm just advocating a little patience before we all stone the smokers. I can't tell you the number of times a 100lb overweight person would look at my cigarette with disgust and snear "Don't you know those things cause cancer?" or the person who drank a 6 pack a night, or the person with the closet drug habit....
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF?!?!  lol.....shaddup

Do it for the children.

Understand one thing. I agree with you. It would be best to stop smoking.

HOWEVER, part of life is taking acceptable risks. Our OB-GYN said that the overall risk to the baby was quite small. Like the poster said a couple of posts up, our Dr said the risk was lower birth weight and that then it was only a risk, not a certainty and like I said earlier, he pointed out research that said that the effects of withdrawl could be harder on the baby than the actual smoking. This applies to in the womb only...obviously second hand smoke is another story.

My wife is trying to quit. Like I said earlier, I quit 6 months after the birth of my son. My wife quit at the same time, however it's obvious that the nicotine affects her differently as she is having a much harder time quitting.

I'm just advocating a little patience before we all stone the smokers. I can't tell you the number of times a 100lb overweight person would look at my cigarette with disgust and snear "Don't you know those things cause cancer?" or the person who drank a 6 pack a night, or the person with the closet drug habit....

Smoke your brains out I don't care...but if someone's pregnant - sorry, no patience.  T minus 9months and counting....

Why you would even entertain any 'risk' with a pregnancy doesn't compute with me - again, sorry.  

The uterus is not a petri dish.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I cannot fucking believe there are people here who seem to be okay with smoking through pregnancy.  Rather than try to justify it on Arfcom, you might think of (gasp!) actually seeking help for your drug addiction.  Its the same as doing a line of blow "only every now and then, the risk is exaggerated" during pregnancy.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#25]
My aunt smoked heavily while knocked up kid is 19 now has coke bottle glasses and had big-time behavior problems his whole life.......Don't understand why any F'ing Cunt would want to do that to a unborn child. Another friend of mine his G-Friend was knocked up we went out for dinner on the way home while sitting in the back of my truck she fired up a joint I said WHAT THE F ARE YOU DOING she said the DR told me it was ok to smoke 1 joint a week. That was the last time I saw them until recently kid is now 7 and is SLOW and doesn't speak........WTF
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top