Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know the Army is fielding Multicam with a unit in Afghanistan right now.

Special Forces, SEALs, DEA, and some Ranger units have been wearing it as well.

I've also seen SAS or SBS (hard to say for sure), and possible British Airborne units. Plus Croatian spec ops have been pictured in it and of course GROM has their own Polish version.

There was an article a while back that said the Army sent one BCT over with multi-cam, and one BCT over with a modified version of the ACU-PAT...

Yep, one of the new brigades coming in later on.  I want to say the 173rd, but that is a guess.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've also seen SAS or SBS (hard to say for sure), and possible British Airborne units. Plus Croatian spec ops have been pictured in it and of course GROM has their own Polish version.

There was an article a while back that said the Army sent one BCT over with multi-cam, and one BCT over with a modified version of the ACU-PAT...

Yup, yup.

Phase I By the end of September 2009, the Army will provide two alternate uniforms to designated battalions of Soldiers serving in Operation Enduring Freedom. The two alternate uniforms will utilize the MultiCam® and Universal Camouflage Pattern – Delta (UCP-D). The UCP-Delta pattern was derived from the standard UCP by reducing the Urban Grey and Sand colors, and adding Coyote Brown which constitutes 30% of the pattern.

One battalion will receive the MultiCam® uniform, while the other will receive the UCP-Delta uniform. In addition to their test uniforms and equipment both battalions will also be issued a full complement of standard UCP equipment. This will allow commanders to outfit their troops based on METT-TC. While PEO-Soldier plans to use the IOTV in standard UCP for this test, they will provide test forces with the Tactical Assault Platform in UCP-Delta. The TAPS is similar to a chest rig that attaches to the IOTV. Additionally, PEO-Soldier is fast tracking a UCP-Delta solution for the rear of the IOTV. The battalion outfitted in MultiCam® will receive a full complement of TA-50 in that pattern including IOTV, Plate Carrier, MOLLE, and TAP.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is in Khowst.

Any chance the pic was taken around May? Hell of fight there last May something like a dozen suicide bombers.

EDIT. Just rechecked it and it's from November. Guess the place is as big a shit hole now as it was earlier this year.

There is always shit like this going on.  The target list is a living, breathing document.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
with no reflection on the fine men in the photo, my 3 year old cell phone takes better pictures than whatever the hell that photographer used.

dusk/night = low light = high iso = shitty pic.  although some cameras are better than others in this regard, there's very little you can do when there isn't much light to work with.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is this rifle supposed to do that a regular M4 won't do?

It sure looks a lot heavier, which seems to be the in thing nowadays, but other than that...?

In this case shoot a 7.62, which an M4 cannot do.

Have you ever held one? Because the SCAR-L isn't appreciably heavier than an M4.

SR-25 Can though

What sr25 can?

Shoot 7.62

Is anyone using the sr25 right now?  Does anyone make a 7.62 ar style rifle reliable enough to field?  

Well, the M110 is based on the SR25.  Also, these Canadians seem to be doing fine with their AR10s in Afghanistan:

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I brightened and sharpened it in photoshop as much as I could so we could see details a bit better.  Since its a .jpeg and not a .raw I wasn't able to do any noise reduction.  Looks like the guy nearest the camera is using an Elcan Spectre 1-4x, and the guy on his left has something else, maybe one of the FDE Leupolds?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/MolonLabe/SCARheavy.jpg

Are those knee pads sewed on? I don't see straps.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I gotta admit, if I were over there fighting and my life depended on taking someone out without a doubt, I would want the .308 also. Some here may disagree, but to each his own.

I'm upgrading to an FAL for my SHTF rifle. My current SHTF is a lemon of a WASR-10.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
SCARS are awesome and much better than an M4.  I shot a SCAR one in MW2.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I brightened and sharpened it in photoshop as much as I could so we could see details a bit better.  Since its a .jpeg and not a .raw I wasn't able to do any noise reduction.  Looks like the guy nearest the camera is using an Elcan Spectre 1-4x, and the guy on his left has something else, maybe one of the FDE Leupolds?

Yes...they look like the Crye combat pants...not cheap...

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes...they look like the Crye combat pants...not cheap...

Good call, though they look slightly different then the one on their website.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, the M110 is based on the SR25.  Also, these Canadians seem to be doing fine with their AR10s in Afghanistan:

Someone forgot to tell them not to wash their jeeps in hot water...

What kind of forend/handguard is on that rifle?

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What kind of forend/handguard is on that rifle?

Badger Ordnance "Stabilizer".  Very heavy.  

http://www.badgerordnance.com/productgroup.php?id=handguards#

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#16]
the SCAR rifle is also the first piston based 7.62x51 used in Afghanistan or Iraq i think there has been a piston based 5.56 before ala the HK .

be interesting to see how this works out.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 2:57:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sure looks a lot heavier, which seems to be the in thing nowadays, but other than that...?

Shoot 7.62 NATO on full auto with decent controllability and excellent reliability, while weighing LESS than an M14.  M4's don't do all that.

As far as the SCAR-L, its supposed to be an ergonomic and reliability upgrade.  Only way to know for sure is to put a bunch of them in the mountains and start shooting people with them, and see how they do.  You can only do lab testing for so long, eventually you need to put them in the hands of troops and see what breaks and what is an actual improvement.  They aren't going to "switch everyone over" until they get alot more data about whether the gun is a true upgrade and worth the cost.

Personally, I think we should field the best small arms we can lay our hands on.  Purchase a few less ICBMs, one less B2 bomber, and one fewer submarine, and put the best rifle possible in the hands of the troops.  If that rifle happens to be the Colt M4, well ok, fine, lets order a shitload of new ones to replace the ones that have been in combat since 2001.

yeah! God! Dont you know anything?!?!
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 3:11:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
the SCAR rifle is also the first piston based 7.62x51 used in Afghanistan or Iraq i think there has been a piston based 5.56 before ala the HK .

So...  no M14's have been used there?  I find that hard to believe....
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So...  no M14's have been used there?  I find that hard to believe....

yeah i forgot about that 1 .

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It just recoils more and has that stupid reciprocating CH.

Bingo.  We got to put a few mags through one of Federal's loaners after a Urban class up here.  Meh.  My buddy said it best when he stated "Well, that just saved me two grand."

And the bolt handle?  What the f*ck were they thinking with that?  It isn't like you might need that thumb anyway...

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#21]
We shouldn't faze out the M14 completely.  We want the enemy to know that we have taste still.

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I heard that SOCOM requested that the charging handle move backwards while firing, but I don't know if this is true.  I talked to an old Army buddy of mine who went SF, and he said everyone in his unit likes the SCAR.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We shouldn't faze out the M14 completely.  We want the enemy to know that we have taste still.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/US%20Army/203482.jpg

And style...The M14 is dead sexy/deadly
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Somewhere...a SGM is looking at this picture and shitting himself.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I gotta admit, if I were over there fighting and my life depended on taking someone out without a doubt, I would want the .308 also. Some here may disagree, but to each his own.

+1 on this one, especially at the ranges involved in Afghanistan.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I was an infantry, I have served in Iraq. I have other friends that served with me. Me and my buddies all agreed we'd take an M14 over an M4 anyday of the week over there. Highly reliability, 7.62 NATO Goodness, and very accurate. Not saying the M4 sucks, because it worked great for us, but I would and several of my friends who are still serving would rather be carrying a M14 or 7.62 NATO rifle.

America has FINALLY caught up with the modern era. With the designated marksman. I don't like the idea of "one caliber for all" that the fucking idiots like McNamara thought.

That's what we all thought in my unit (before we deployed).  We were issued M14s (3 or 4 per platoon) that looked brand new, in the EBR setup...in the conditions we were in they jammed relentlessly.  The M4s did pretty well.  We cleaned the M14s often but it was too easy for dirt to get into the action.  Also, the M14s in EBR setup are REDICULOUSLY hard to break down, you have to unscrew at least a dozen allen screws.  For a month or so we didn't have any allen wrenches at our base....yeah, couldn't do maintenance other than trying to wipe the chamber from what we could get to without disassembly.
By the end of the deployment the M14s were only taken with overwatch elements that already had 240s or Mk 48s where we thought that all likely engagements would be beyond 800m.  Normal rifle squads stopped carrying them because it's better to have an M4 that works than an M14 that will jam horribly.

I would love to own one for range purposes however...they are mucho accurate...
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a friend that is a TACP and when he get deployed he wears multicam and gets the SCAR

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a cousin, who's a ranger, and he showed a few dozen pics of it on his camera. He even showed me a Helmet cam vid of him on a base shooting the SCAR. He told me he's planning on getting one state side.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The M14 is a piston gun, so is the M240 and probably a bunch of other guns.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
SCAR is nice. I typically use mine with a heartbeat sensor and suppressor or acog with gernade launcher. But recently i switched to the ACR. Its a lot more controlable.

That is what I was thinking
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M14 is a piston gun, so is the M240 and probably a bunch of other guns.

yeah i know i was half asleep when i put that up.

Damn did not know FN did all of this for .mil

MK 16 SCAR-L

MK 17 SCAR-H

MK 13 SCAR Grenade Launcher.

M16 Family of Rifles

* M16 A2
   * M16 A4

M249 Family of Light Machine Guns
M249

* M249 SAW
   * MK46 MOD 1
   * MK48 MOD 1

M240 Family of Medium Machine Guns
M240B

* M240
   * M240 B
   * M240 C
   * M240 D
   * M240 E1
   * M240 H
   * M240 E6
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Not to mention Russians had used piston 7.62mm guns over 3 decades back, and the Brits probably had a few Lewis guns during the 1919 Third Anglo-Afghan War.

The gas-piston system is almost as old as the self-loader. You Americans are a little behind...
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And style...The M14 is dead sexy/deadly

amen

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

lmao
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I thought that nothing said "Fuck You" like a MK47 Gernade Launcher mounted on a ATV.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on this one, especially at the ranges involved in Afghanistan.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I was an infantry, I have served in Iraq. I have other friends that served with me. Me and my buddies all agreed we'd take an M14 over an M4 anyday of the week over there. Highly reliability, 7.62 NATO Goodness, and very accurate. Not saying the M4 sucks, because it worked great for us, but I would and several of my friends who are still serving would rather be carrying a M14 or 7.62 NATO rifle.

America has FINALLY caught up with the modern era. With the designated marksman. I don't like the idea of "one caliber for all" that the fucking idiots like McNamara thought.

That's what we all thought in my unit (before we deployed).  We were issued M14s (3 or 4 per platoon) that looked brand new, in the EBR setup...in the conditions we were in they jammed relentlessly.  The M4s did pretty well.  We cleaned the M14s often but it was too easy for dirt to get into the action.  Also, the M14s in EBR setup are REDICULOUSLY hard to break down, you have to unscrew at least a dozen allen screws.  For a month or so we didn't have any allen wrenches at our base....yeah, couldn't do maintenance other than trying to wipe the chamber from what we could get to without disassembly.

By the end of the deployment the M14s were only taken with overwatch elements that already had 240s or Mk 48s where we thought that all likely engagements would be beyond 800m.  Normal rifle squads stopped carrying them because it's better to have an M4 that works than an M14 that will jam horribly.

I would love to own one for range purposes however...they are mucho accurate...

Could depend on where you exactly are. Like in a really dusty area or what-not. My buddies went to Iraq right after I got out, and they were issued 2 M14s per squad. They loved them and never had any problems.

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
about 5 more pictures over on that military website that has lots of photos

link please?

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'd use it if I was issued it, no way I'd pay more than 1k for one for a personal range toy.

I'll give $1300.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somewhere...a SGM is looking at this picture and shitting himself.

lmfao
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#39]
saw some LWRCs in that video too

Quoted:

I remember watching a video of a DEA raid in Afghanistan and one of the guys was using a SCAR... I'll try to find the video.

ETA: found it, the SCAR is at around 1:32 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-boImGp1UY

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a friend that is a TACP and when he get deployed he wears multicam and gets the SCAR

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

...how much hair gel are they including in the RFI now?  I've heard they have gone with the 5 gallon bucket...
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I thought that nothing said "Fuck You" like a MK47 Gernade Launcher mounted on a ATV.  

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/frankydec/091111a6365w333.jpg

...there is a reason we call them Special Forces....
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 2:58:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny thing is that Mk47 has had them since 2003 .it is replacing the Mk-19 for use by Special Forces and apparently maybe the whole US Marines is thinking about it.

it has a whole host of new tech over the old Mk-19 .thermal imaging,laser range finder First round hits at 1200 Meters or more.

In the year of 2003, US Special Operation Command (USSOCOM) adopted the GDATP Striker 40 40mm automatic grenade launcher as Mark 47 model 0, complete with its new tripod mount and AN/PVG-1 Lightweight Video Sight developed by Raytheon. These weapons now (February 2006) are in limited service with US Special Operation forces in Afghanistan and Iraq, and also are being considered for adoption by US Marine Corps. Mk.47 grenade launchers are compatible with full spectrum on NATO-standard 40mm high velocity ammunition; advanced air-bursting ammunition with programmable fuses is being developed for this weapon.

The key member of the Striker 40 system is the AN/PVG-1 Lightweight Video Sight (LVS), which offers 3X magnification TV view on target, combined with laser range finder and ballistic computer; sight also has interface connectors that allow to link it to optional thermal night sighting equipment which can be installed on the weapon; once the night sight is connected, operator can select TV or thermal picture via the single button. The LVS allows to accurately measure the range to the target then aim the gun accurately for high first shot hit accuracy. LVS is installed on the right side of the weapon, and is controlled by the buttons and four-position "joystick" located at the rear of the receiver, between and above spade grips.

Link Posted: 11/25/2009 3:01:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
SCAR-H

DO WANT!

How much are they, $2500?
Whatever they cost its not enough.

Link Posted: 11/25/2009 3:05:16 AM EDT
[#44]
the website i orginally found the pics at is http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 3:05:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Considering that it is .308 vs 5.56, it will do alot more.

Link Posted: 11/25/2009 3:45:59 AM EDT
[#46]
You can keep the 7.62x51mm and I'll keep my M4 until everyone else has his new toy in hand.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

heavier where?  its mostly plastic

Basic SCAR is heavier then basic M4.

5.9 lb (2.68 kg) M-4 Carbine.

Guess the Rangers and all Spec ops Can handle that Actually pound in a half gain Wow big #'s

Weight: 6.99 lbs. empty (CQC)  SCAR-L 10 inch Version
Weight: 7.24 lbs. empty (STD)  SCAR-L course that be the 16 inch Version
Weight: 7.74 lbs. empty (LB)  SCAR-L 18 inch Version

big thing is here in the 7.62x51mm land notice the Weights of and recoil is still minimal.

Weight: 7.69 lbs. empty (CQC)  13 inch Version
Weight: 7.91 lbs. empty (STD)   16 inch Version
Weight: 8.23 lbs. empty (LB)  20 inch Version

I hear what your saying but the Military is currrently undergoing a large initiatve to reduce the weight that soldiers are carrying to make them more agile in theaters like Afganistan. Add weight no matter how seemingly trivial is going in the wrong direction. Small weight gains are amplified once you get above a tree line

True, but once you put a RAS on an M-4 it is no longer 5.9 lbs, SCAR needs no rail platform to be added.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#48]
FWIW...the 7.62 will not do "massive penetration" to the "mud huts" here in Afghanistan.  Unless you have a minigun with enough ammo to actually chew through the adobe walls of the qalat in question.

The walls are extremely thick, and laugh at bullets.  You need HE in some form to put holes in them.  One of the reasons the Canucks brought in some of their Leopards was to blow holes in the walls.

I actually saw one in the semi-wild a couple of months ago.  Some PSD looking dude at ISAF HQ.  Wish I could remember who was on the visitor list that day.  I'm sure GEN McChrystal has plenty of friends who can get them if they want them.

Better long range performance and hitting power are the reasons to go for 7.62 here.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny thing is that Mk47 has had them since 2003 .it is replacing the Mk-19 for use by Special Forces and apparently maybe the whole US Marines is thinking about it.

it has a whole host of new tech over the old Mk-19 .thermal imaging,laser range finder First round hits at 1200 Meters or more.

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/mk47-2.jpg

In the year of 2003, US Special Operation Command (USSOCOM) adopted the GDATP Striker 40 40mm automatic grenade launcher as Mark 47 model 0, complete with its new tripod mount and AN/PVG-1 Lightweight Video Sight developed by Raytheon. These weapons now (February 2006) are in limited service with US Special Operation forces in Afghanistan and Iraq, and also are being considered for adoption by US Marine Corps. Mk.47 grenade launchers are compatible with full spectrum on NATO-standard 40mm high velocity ammunition; advanced air-bursting ammunition with programmable fuses is being developed for this weapon.

The key member of the Striker 40 system is the AN/PVG-1 Lightweight Video Sight (LVS), which offers 3X magnification TV view on target, combined with laser range finder and ballistic computer; sight also has interface connectors that allow to link it to optional thermal night sighting equipment which can be installed on the weapon; once the night sight is connected, operator can select TV or thermal picture via the single button. The LVS allows to accurately measure the range to the target then aim the gun accurately for high first shot hit accuracy. LVS is installed on the right side of the weapon, and is controlled by the buttons and four-position "joystick" located at the rear of the receiver, between and above spade grips.

So, if a Mk19 and an LRASSS made sexy time, the Mk47 would be their love child?
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/mk47-2.jpg

We had a mk47 my first tour in Iraq. That sucker is BAD ASS.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top