Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
12 solid hours bathed in body juices.

I don't think this quote is befitting of your username
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Just curious OP, if you sweat at night do you "bleach" your sheets and pillow?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you (or in this era of cell phones do you) wear a watch? I have heard that people like you will ruin even the best watches.

I am a machinist for almost 20 years so no jewelry of any kind most of my adult life. As other machinist have stated problems with rusting tools etc. I have not noticed this but have a habit of always wiping down measuring tools constantly, I have noticed rust on tool holders that have not been used for a week or two but with no climate control the humidity may be a factor.

I rot the rubbery type nose pads on safety glasses, the solid plastic ones get signs of crazing around the nose rest area. I have a Logitech trackball mouse from '04 that has the paint bubbled and peeling where my palm rests. I have not really noticed I corroded things until the Glock slide then I started to look around. The 304 stainless press handle I made for reloading press doesn't rust, the 304 stainless shift handle I made 10 years ago for my truck isn't rusted. I guess I need to find a 304SS slide.

Or 904L .

If a watch lasts long enough without me cracking the face or it just stop working. I would pit/rust my watches to nothing.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Start using  Eezox synthetic gun oil to protect your pistols...

Thank me later...

The Glock is 99.9% saltwater corrosion resistant without the black finish. I don't think any special oil is going to help.

Well obviously that's not the case for his side arms is it..  Tenifer is known to fail at times. Eesox is wonderful product to protect against rust,cleaning,and lubricating.  I started using it in the 90's on the suggestion of some of my black powder buddies.  

Google "Eesox" and read the reviews and articles about it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, that's nearly as nasty as mine was, but yours was done by just wearing it

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow, that's nearly as nasty as mine was, but yours was done by just wearing it

http://www.cascadesafety.com/arfcom/g30.JPG

http://www.cascadesafety.com/arfcom/g30a.JPG

What the hell is that from?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking that gun could have used being rinsed off and oiled every day.Anything subjected to 12 hours of sweat daily is going to rust.

FWIW,I bought a pair of Seecamps and gave one to my brother. I carried it as my summer pocket gun and mine rusted like crazy.He carried his just as often in the exact same way in the exact same climate and never had a spot of rust. It had to just be down to body chemistry and my sweat.

My G19 dates from either 91 or 92,I can't remember exactly,and has been carried enough to wear all the black finish from the slide. To make it look less splotchy,I Scotchbrited it about 6 years ago and have still never had a pip of rust,even though I regularly take it kayaking and fishing.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, take a shower more than once a week dude!

NASTY!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I'mg pretty bad about rusting metal, but my Glocks have held up. I think you outta gold plate that bitch - might look tacky, but it won't rust
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#12]
http://www.black-t.com
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#13]
At least you could break out of prison given enough time...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#14]
A hard-chrome Glock at the local store:

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, you could prevent the transfer of sweat to the gun by ditching the leather and going with Kydex. It will still get the humidity but not the daily marinade you are providing.

I have a friend that can rust stuff like you do. Raised rust bubbles on a Ruger P90 Stainless, ruined a MAK90 that had been gunkoted, stained an Eagle Arms lower receiver with just fingerprints. We nicknamed him Mr. Salty.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#16]
send that sucker to birdsong's for a black-t job, [ or other colors if preferred ] that will stop that nonsense real quick. birdsong got his start doing submarine parts for the navy, [ and they still do a good bit of work for the navy ] and if it will hold up on a sub, that's good enough for me. no,, i don't work for them, i just have several of my firearms coated by them, all with great results. the only reason i thought of this is, i'm taking my SBR [ kino] to them monday.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's wierd, but some people's skin just seems to corrode metal like crazy.

My wife is like that

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Da** man......does your spit dissolve people's skin?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#19]
OP have you considered an all horsehide holster?
Your sweat is degrading the kydex too, and while you're at it, keep an eye on the glocks frame for signs of deterioration and trade it in as soon as it appears.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#20]
The higher grade or more resistant to rust stainless is the more brittle it is.  Stainless used in guns us usually low grade and more prone to rust.  High grade stainless would not be a good material so gun stainless is rather prone to rusting.

Except for the rust issue regular gun steel is a better material.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Have you contacted glock about the OEM slide rusting? Almost looks like a grain problem.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top