BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, I'm a lifelong motorcyclist. I'm thinking if you made it this far without owning one, you can make it the rest of the way without owning one. Everybody likes the idea of owning a bike, it's the reality of owning a bike that some people have problems with. Get some training, then get some more training. Get a small cheap used bike and learn how to ride before you get a large motorcycle.
View Quote
What I was going to post, only nicer!
I'm 49 and have rode dirt and street, and a RK for a while, since I was little kid.
That being said, I'm in good shape but my reflexes aren't what they use to be so I hardly ride on the street anymore.
It's worse than ever with all the drivers looking at their phone.
Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#2]
careful OP
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Make sure you buy the Harley jacket, shirt, jeans, glasses, headband, underwear, socks, boots, wallet, belt, and front plate for your car... Also the "Harley Parking Only" sign for your garage.
View Quote
Don't forget the tattoos.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/90540/IMG_20170624_115620747-288779.JPG

My son's Road King......notice the home-made turbo....

He's pretty close to breaking into 10 second 1/4 mile
View Quote
Damn it took a turbo to almost get into the 10's? My Raider is almost there bone stock
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
a 10 might be a little out of my budget. I really don't want to finance. I figure an older model with low miles will have most issues identified and fixed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best model hd builds in my opinion.  You won't regret owning one. Get a 10 or newer.
a 10 might be a little out of my budget. I really don't want to finance. I figure an older model with low miles will have most issues identified and fixed.
The 09 was the new touring frame - that is the reason for the suggestion.

I completely agree with you OP - the Road King looks like a motorcycle!

Red

ps - do it
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had friends with Road Kings. Most eventually trade up for a Road Glide like mine. The frame mounted fairing is a huge advantage.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had friends with Road Kings. Most eventually trade up for a Road Glide like mine. The frame mounted fairing is a huge advantage.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34520/LEN_4150r-288921.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34520/LEN_4140r-288922.JPG
View Quote
Sure is hideous though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Take the MSF first, get good protective gear, practice what you learned at MSF in an open parking lot.  Don't put your wife on the back until you are smooth with all of your stops and turns.  Putting the wife on the back really changes the bikes handling characteristics, more weight on the suspension and higher center of gravity.

Always wear your gear and don't allow the wife to ride without her gear and that includes wearing boots.  Google has pictures of what is left of feet that got trapped under a bike, you don't want a wife with a club foot.

I agree with the guys who say to start off with a cheap $1-2k bike to practice on.  Better to drop that than a more expensive and heavier RK.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They don't have to be slow.  My 99 has 136 hp.
View Quote
So 14hp less than my stock ADV bike came with, we won't mention the 300+ pound difference ( oh wait ).
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So 14hp less than my stock ADV bike came with, we won't mention the 300+ pound difference ( oh wait ).
View Quote
The adv. bikes are the #1 poser bike! I know 1 person that has taken his somewhere I couldn't take my RT.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Just sold my 07' Road King Custom, and bought a 17' Street Glide Special.  The new Road King Specials are pretty sweet though.  Go for it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The adv. bikes are the #1 poser bike! I know 1 person that has taken his somewhere I couldn't take my RT.
View Quote
Well you are talking to another one that goes places you won't.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't know what the hell's gotten into me. I can't explain it. But I gots to have a Harley Road King. Not drooling for a new model or a custom built model. I'd be elated with an older RK. Not decided on a specific color. Black, Silver, Burgundy, ...hell I don't know.  What the hell is going on ????

Fuck, I don't even ride. Never have. I should get checked. Soon.
View Quote

My buddy road one from California through Central and South America.  Later, he road through Europe and Africa on the very same bike.
trip report on advrider

Oh, and keeping it gun related....

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Take the MSF first, get good protective gear, practice what you learned at MSF in an open parking lot.  Don't put your wife on the back until you are smooth with all of your stops and turns.  Putting the wife on the back really changes the bikes handling characteristics, more weight on the suspension and higher center of gravity.

Always wear your gear and don't allow the wife to ride without her gear and that includes wearing boots.  Google has pictures of what is left of feet that got trapped under a bike, you don't want a wife with a club foot.

I agree with the guys who say to start off with a cheap $1-2k bike to practice on.  Better to drop that than a more expensive and heavier RK.
View Quote
Great advise. Thank You.

I'll definitely be taking the class. My wife's uncle has a big bike, Yamaha, I think. He's voluntered lessons whenever I'm ready.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a Road King. I no longer own a Road King. 

I now ride a R1200GSA. I let two good friends of mine ride my bike. They both sold their Harley's and bought 2017 GSA's. 

We all agree, none of us will ever ride Harley's again. 

(Sorry for pooping in your thread OP. Being a recovering HD rider and moving to a bike thats better in every way, I can't help my self. Not joking, go to your local dealer and test ride a GS before buying a HD. Most dealers have used GS's in the same price range as a used HD.)

It's funny, my friends that just moved from HD's to BMW's this year won't even wave at Harley riders. 

Flame suit..... ON!

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't know what the hell's gotten into me. I can't explain it. But I gots to have a Harley Road King. Not drooling for a new model or a custom built model. I'd be elated with an older RK. Not decided on a specific color. Black, Silver, Burgundy, ...hell I don't know.  What the hell is going on ????

Fuck, I don't even ride. Never have. I should get checked. Soon.
View Quote

Have you recently had a blow to the head?  A severe concussion would explain your symptoms.
Do you also have an overwhelming urge to dress up like a pirate?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I like this...:

Beach Bars and 21" front wheel/rubber on a RK are kinda cool ...

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Life is too short for slow motorcycles.

View Quote
This it's a couch with wheels.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Great advise. Thank You.

I'll definitely be taking the class. My wife's uncle has a big bike, Yamaha, I think. He's voluntered lessons whenever I'm ready.
View Quote
See if you can get the wife to take the MSF with you.  

1. Date weekend
2. She might catch the urge to ride
3. Riding tandem is much more fun than two up
4. She might agree with a bigger bike budget

ETA: If the uncle lets you borrow it make sure he understands upfront that you may end up dropping his bike.  Most MSF courses teach with very light bikes, I saw a lot of Honda Rebel 250's when I took the course.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
An RT couldn't make my ride into work for several weeks of the year unless it wearing full knobbies and lost 100 pounds. I'm not kidding. A 50/50 tired GSA will barely do it with the rider on the bike.

I ride by cars in the ditch on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Snag a nice low miles garage queen V-Rod for around $6K and do a Cycle Visions bagger/Batman screen conversion.

115 rear wheel HP and incredible handling (for a HD).
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Just get one.  Its my favorite of the HD line.  I would prefer an Indian though.

You've got the itch, just like BRD.  I have GID (Green Iron Disease) and just had to get an M35A2.  I dont regret it.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

An RT couldn't make my ride into work for several weeks of the year unless it wearing full knobbies and lost 100 pounds. I'm not kidding. A 50/50 tired GSA will barely do it with the rider on the bike.

I ride by cars in the ditch on a regular basis.
View Quote
They are awesome if you use them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Rub Lust.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Go buy a Goldwing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Start out on a Sym Wolf.  Just don't go off the deep end.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I will never understand the desire for Harleys. Sport bikes, adventure bikes,  and dirt bikes? Yeah, absolutely I can see the draw. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Doesn't work. Some jacka** will screw with the carb settings when your not looking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want one just to park at home and be able to sit on it and look at it.
Doesn't work. Some jacka** will screw with the carb settings when your not looking.
Not like it would ever be started up or actually ridden.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Adventure tourers are just upright large displacement touring bikes, more or less. If you don't offroad it, it's not posing it's just using it for 85% of its capability. That's not pretending, it's just using a super versatile bike to fit your needs. Now, if you put TCK80's and slather Colorado-500 stickers on it and wear offroad gear but never get near gravel, ok, that's posing.

But just owning one is posing? That's retarded. All you're posing as is a GSA owner....which is to say a guy who owns a GSA. No one really fucking cares where or to what severity you ride it. They're AR15's of the bike world, it's ok to own an AR and not do CQB drills with it. If you plink, you're not posing as a warrior, are you? Of course not.

Adventure riding is about doing, not what you do it on. I ride my Strom in places very few owners will take theirs. I just did the GDR on it, in monsoon season....probably dropped it 20+ times in slimy silt and slippery rocks, and broke a lot of shit on it trying. But, I don't think it's posing if someone has one and doesn't offroad it. It's an adventure bike, not a dirt bike. I'm not some badass rider, either, I just have one bike and it has to do all the stuff I wanna do. So, it gets beat on. I totally get it if someone just uses theirs to tour or commute on. They're awesome bikes for that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Man get it done now! Bikes haven't been this affordable since AMF!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Gross
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I now ride a R1200GSA. I let two good friends of mine ride my bike. They both sold their Harley's and bought 2017 GSA's. 

(Sorry for pooping in your thread OP. Being a recovering HD rider and moving to a bike thats better in every way, I can't help my self. Not joking, go to your local dealer and test ride a GS before buying a HD. Most dealers have used GS's in the same price range as a used HD.)

It's funny, my friends that just moved from HD's to BMW's this year won't even wave at Harley riders. 

Flame suit..... ON!

https://assets.shannons.com.au/U8FFA2O5DXCMY1GD/IQ63042DFJF97M98/7uajz245qwvy0e4q/jpg/585x438x1/vehicle/2014-bmw-r1200gsa.jpg
View Quote
I just sold a 1998 r1200c BMW. I had it 3 years, I had lusted after a GS for a number of years and bought this bike cause it was close enough for what I was wanting,(suspension, engine). I have ridden H-D since 1989 so I am a admitted fanboy of H-D. I did not like multiple things about the BMW, but mostly I was unprepared for the high level of chinzyness, especially given most BMW owners seemingly superior attitude. Even being a H-D nut I was prepared to admit that likely the BMW owners were probably right in their snug attitudes. Turns out they are not right, just smug..lol. The guy that bought it off me was happy to have it, I was happy to have it gone. I purchased a wrecked 2006 red Road King (my second Road King) for $2500.00 fixed it, and love it. Helen & I just did a 4000 mile 2 week vacation on it this past June, ZERO issues. Suffice it to say there are all sorts of motorsikles out there, get one!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Damn it took a turbo to almost get into the 10's? My Raider is almost there bone stock
View Quote
A Harley has soul.....what does a Raider have??
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mid-Life Crisis?  I just turned 59 last week. I've owned a number of sports cars, a Porsche 911, a few Vettes, even an NXS.  Never a motorcycle. I'm just infatuated with the look of a Road King w/hard saddlebags.

I'm married so this would be a nice weekend fun toy we can both enjoy.
View Quote
Make sure you have really good insurance medical that covers both plastic surgery and physical therapy...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A Harley has soul.....what does a Raider have??
View Quote
Riders without get back whips and clip on ponytails.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#36]
It can happen.  2002 FLHRCI.  Harley is no longer making the Classic. 

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Mid life crisis?
View Quote

That is when you fuck your 19 year old secretary.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Flame suit..... ON!

https://assets.shannons.com.au/U8FFA2O5DXCMY1GD/IQ63042DFJF97M98/7uajz245qwvy0e4q/jpg/585x438x1/vehicle/2014-bmw-r1200gsa.jpg
View Quote
I can sooooo relate to this.  Road a full dresser for several years and then switched to an FJR1300 a few years ago.  Rented an R1200GS on a business trip to Commiefornia last year.  Bought an 2016 R1200GS Adventure model on my return.  I have been riding for 40 years.  BY FAR the most enjoyable and fun motorcycle I have ever had.  The others haven't even been close....
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Snag a nice low miles garage queen V-Rod for around $6K and do a Cycle Visions bagger/Batman screen conversion.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachments/touring-models/44929d1241928422-2010-road-glide-info-from-dealer-manager-road-rod.jpg

115 rear wheel HP and incredible handling (for a HD).
View Quote
keanusayswhoa.gif
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Never understood the Harley lust... you old guys must watch too much Easy Riser.  

The sport bikes I can understand but why pick a 747 vs an F22?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a couple sportbikes and a Harley Dyna.  I wouldn't give up one for the other.  

Many times I've been on my sportbikes and wished I could kick my legs forward and rest on highway pegs like I can on the Dyna.  There are lots of long straightaways among the twisties.  

I think putting along at about 42 mph on a little country road is just right sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
yep , defiantly take a motorcycle safety class and a cheap jap bike to learn on then get a king
View Quote
This, from another lifelong motorcyclist who started out on a CB160 Honda and now owns a Road King.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Never understood the Harley lust... you old guys must watch too much Easy Riser.  

The sport bikes I can understand but why pick a 747 vs an F22?
View Quote
Jump on a sport bike and try to ride 500 miles.  You Will figure it out quick.  Not everyone is interested in taking curves at 120.  No I'm not even that old.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#44]
You have to kind of condition your body to your bike.  I notice a sportbike gets more comfy the more you ride it and your body conditions to it.

Shit I rode all day on my CBR1000RR a few weeks ago and only my ass was sore like on any bike.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You have to kind of condition your body to your bike.  I notice a sportbike gets more comfy the more you ride it and your body conditions to it.

Shit I rode all day on my CBR1000RR a few weeks ago and only my ass was sore like on any bike.
View Quote
Now try that two up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This, from another lifelong motorcyclist who started out on a CB160 Honda and now owns a Road King.
View Quote
Heh..rather have the Honda honestly. I love those old singles and Twins...

I had a mint '67 Suzuki X-6 Hustler
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#48]
My Dads had a 99 Roadking for almost twenty years.
Fucking thing is comfortable as hell to ride.
His is painted in chromillusion (sp?) paint so it really turns heads when people walk by it and it changes color.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#49]
DO IT!!!!!  Headed out in just a few hours for Colorado and about 2500 miles of mountain riding all next week! A dream coming true
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Mid-Life Crisis?  I just turned 59 last week. I've owned a number of sports cars, a Porsche 911, a few Vettes, even an NXS.  Never a motorcycle. I'm just infatuated with the look of a Road King w/hard saddlebags.

I'm married so this would be a nice weekend fun toy we can both enjoy.
View Quote
Do it.

Take a safety course, buy good gear, and go enjoy it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top