Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I just retired late last year at 65, I'm now 66.
My work called and wanted to know if I would return on a temp basis, I said only if I can work from home.
We will see how this goes, I want to go back just to get my one week vacation pay they didn't give me when I did retire.
They have a BS company policy of only paying out two weeks if you leave, retire, or are laid off.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I was eligible to retire 3 months ago (51).  I really actually like my job and it's never been better.  I could retire but until I find something to fill my days that I enjoy more, then it's better for me to just keep on rockin'.  Personal choice I guess.

If I hated what I do I would have been gone in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There’s no way to KNOW ... so you just have to come up with a decision that tries to reasonably balance all of the different factors involved.
View Quote

Yep. I'm past where my first Advisor had told me I could retire and approaching my original goal.

However, a couple of years ago, for several reasons, I decided to increase my retirement number. I can't see doing that again. When I hit that, I'll be done.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Going to a viewing today for my buddy's wife, she was only 62 and despite being financially able to do so, just wouldn't retire from a high stress job.

You are not promised tomorrow. My plan is to retire at 60 and do what I want to do.  

View Quote
Yep

Retired at 46, money is worthless if you are dead.

I like being alive, hence why I sit in my recliner until my afternoon walk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Read and watch accounts of old people talking about their wishes and regrets from life.

I have yet to see a frail old man say, "I wish I had gotten in just one more day of work".
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
As soon as I'm eligible, which isn't far off.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm 33, work 3 12s as a nurse. I'm bored on my days off so I decide to pick up 2 extra shifts and another job part time too. I don't plan on retiring however I do put in my retirement fund and have for the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe some of you retired guys can help me.  How do you know when you can do it?  One thing I know to be true is that you can never have enough money, so how did you decide that you were in a place where you could stop collecting that check?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe some of you retired guys can help me.  How do you know when you can do it?  One thing I know to be true is that you can never have enough money, so how did you decide that you were in a place where you could stop collecting that check?
View Quote
You can retire if your house/car/CC/other shit is paid off, as you get older you don't need as much shit, just do it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can retire if your house/car/CC/other shit is paid off, as you get older you don't need as much shit, just do it.
View Quote

That will certainly help, but it won't get you there.

You can retire if you have a defined income stream that covers your expected expenses in retirement indefinitely...or at least as long as you think you'll live.  

Some expenses will disappear in retirement, like, well, saving for retirement, and perhaps some work-related expenses ...but other expenses may increase, like medical coverage.  Some folks downsize their home and living style, while others want to be able to travel in retirement.  So I guess that's job one - figure out what retirement looks like to you and how much annual income that will require.  Then figure out how you will get that income.  Social security, pensions/annuities, investment performance, and perhaps burning down the principal of your investments on a timeline that aligns with your expected lifespan...and your spouse's.

If you don't have any form of a pension or annuity, then you'll need significant savings/investments...and how much depends on those estimated retirement living expenses and how long you'll think you'll live, but the number likely has 7 figures in it.  Without a decimal point.  

And no, most Americans aren't even close, which explains 70 year-old employees at Walmart and McDonalds.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#12]
The wife and I both retired in March of last year.  I was 66 and she was 62.  We should have done it long ago.  The only debt we have is what's left on our mortgage and financial situation is such that we can (pretty much) do anything we want to do.  New 34' travel trailer in storage and a 2021 F250 in the garage with 25 miles on the odometer waiting for spring so we can begin traveling.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure we have a slightly more than average number of self made bajillionaires here, but that said I think whats said online and what's actually reflected in the quarterly statement are two different  things.

More power to y'all who can retire at 30 (or whatever), but I'm suspicious.  Either fudging what retirement means, or it being funded by a something other than their own financials.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm almost 57 and plan to retire at 60. The company I work for offers retire at age 60 provided you have at least 30 years in. I have 34 years there right now. I won't be able to collect SS till age 62, but I plan to cash in my companies stock I've accumulated along with my 401K and will receive a pension as well, all combined I'll be fine and actually have more money then than now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#16]
mom died at 69.  pretty sure the 40yrs of being in hospital administration did her in.

id like to say i will retire by 65, but im self employed and i thrive on stress
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not retired, but in my case I picked an income number that I would like to see every year in retirement and figured out how much I would need to get that at a fairly conservative 4% return per year. This would enable me to live off the interest, without ever having to dip into the principle.

For example, if you want $40k, you need $1million, $60k, you need $1.5 million, and so on. An over simplification, but that's the basics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Made myself a vow when I was 15 and looking for my first taxpaying job:
I will never flip burgers at McDonalds, I will never stock shelves at KMart, and if I ever wake up dreading going to work that day, I'll quit and find a better job.  (Note: I didn't think I was "above" flipping burgers or stocking shelves--I just knew I wouldn't enjoy those jobs.)

Found a job assisting the greenskeeper at a local golf course, and started a lifetime of very assorted jobs, none of which ever made me dread going to work.
I've had bad days at work. I've felt stress. But overall, I have always enjoyed what I'm doing (or I found something different to do).

Now 59, I'm in position where I could retire, but figure I'll put in a few more years to (hopefully) pad the long-term income. But by the time my wife is ready in a few years, I'll find something new to do--even if I'm not paid for it.

Life is good.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Retirement, Day Three for me.  Moving into my RV on Saturday to start my next career as an itinerant concealed carry instructor.  Pulled the plug at 58.  I am worried with what I am certain will be skyrocketing fuel costs, but it was time to move.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

8 years here, no it does not.
View Quote

Wish I had the kind of epic roads to ride/drive you have right out your door. Fun roads down here are far and in between.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
man this post and a lot of replies are depressing but it really makes you think. Im 32 and I want to retire now.
View Quote

Haha same
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]
54 I can go in about 11 months right after I turn 55. I couldn't leave any sooner, I'd be leaving too much money on the table. My problem is I don't have a plan on what to do or where to go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#23]
My brother in law was 6 days younger than me.  And died suddenly last week.

It’s time
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ll retire after putting in 35 years of social security contributions.

I’ve got a ways to go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't think a whole lot of people are describing retiring in their 30s, but many definitely are in their early 40s.

Remember that both the military and a number of police departments and similar agencies DO offer a decent pension after 20 years.  So if someone joins the military, or gets into a police department academy when relatively young - and they plan for a somewhat frugal retirement (i.e. rural area, not a lot of debt, etc.) - it is eminently possible to retire in the early 40s and have a great retirement ... especially if they've got healthcare covered by the VA.

I agree that people becoming bazillionaires and retiring in their 30s is a VERY rare thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure we have a slightly more than average number of self made bajillionaires here, but that said I think whats said online and what's actually reflected in the quarterly statement are two different  things.

More power to y'all who can retire at 30 (or whatever), but I'm suspicious.  Either fudging what retirement means, or it being funded by a something other than their own financials.

I don't think a whole lot of people are describing retiring in their 30s, but many definitely are in their early 40s.

Remember that both the military and a number of police departments and similar agencies DO offer a decent pension after 20 years.  So if someone joins the military, or gets into a police department academy when relatively young - and they plan for a somewhat frugal retirement (i.e. rural area, not a lot of debt, etc.) - it is eminently possible to retire in the early 40s and have a great retirement ... especially if they've got healthcare covered by the VA.

I agree that people becoming bazillionaires and retiring in their 30s is a VERY rare thing.

It was a bit of tongue-in-cheek hyperbole on my part tbh.  Being in my late 30s, modest 401k and a fed .gov worker (FERS) I'm sure my retirement will be fine, but I don't see how I could retire early.  Bridging the gap between leaving the workforce and social security/pension kicking in would take a significant amount of funds in a normal taxable personal account.

I'm not too sure how a fedgov worker like me can retire early, given MRA limitations with tax advantaged accounts.  If anyone here pulled it off I'm all ears
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll be 61 this year.  Mandatory age 65 retirement for airline pilots.  I like my job.  I don't feel stressed.  If I were single I would have retired several years ago but my wife's health isn't the best and I have a disabled adult son at home so I continue to work for health insurance for her and Trust money for my son.  I don't mind.  I have been off all this month.  I will take another one or two other months off this year.  I spoke with my financial planner last week updating our plans.  He and I agree we have plenty of money for retirement.  As to travel we have never put that off.  Wife and I have traveled the world when she has felt like it.  No regrets.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#28]
i'm 62 and getting ready to pull the trigger, my passive income from dividends is $60K a year, add SS and i'll have a 90K income
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Remember the military changed the retirement schema a while ago. Retiring at 30 years gets full pay in retirement. Obviously you don't draw the special pays and other allowances but it still can be substantial. Am E-9 at 30 is currently making about $8k per month. Combine with disability, of which 100% has become common and that service member can notionally retire at 47 drawing $11K per month. If he contributed to the TSP, which he probably did, he can expect another $1-2K per month.

The above is for an enlisted soldier. Make him an O-6 retiring at 30 and you can add about another $5k per month on top of the above or potentially close to $200K per year in retirement at maybe 53 or 54 years old.

Note that I  didn't include the $20-25K per year they'll be drawing at 62+

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Remember the military changed the retirement schema a while ago. Retiring at 30 years gets full pay in retirement. Obviously you don't draw the special pays and other allowances but it still can be substantial. Am E-9 at 30 is currently making about $8k per month. Combine with disability, of which 100% has become common and that service member can notionally retire at 47 drawing $11K per month. If he contributed to the TSP, which he probably did, he can expect another $1-2K per month.

The above is for an enlisted soldier. Make him an O-6 retiring at 30 and you can add about another $5k per month on top of the above or potentially close to $200K per year in retirement at maybe 53 or 54 years old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's certainly a best-case situation, as most enlisted guys never make it to E9, let alone put in 30 years.  But I certainly see your point, its theoretically possible for a half percent of our military members.

I did 12 years in the .mil active duty, but got out and now working for the fed as a civi.  Currently in the process of "buying" my .mil time so it can be considered as a portion of my fed retirement.

My game plan at the moment is finish paying off my .mil time and feeding my tax advantaged accounts as much as I can.  Last three years I've been able to max out my roth tsp (80/20 C&S) as well as max my personal roth.  All well and good for my retirement accounts for sure, but those are still inaccessible until MRA, or I get dinged severely.

MRA pretty much dashes any hope for early retirement unless I'm missing something
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I will never retire, till I die!

I like working too much.  Sometimes my work involves brain power, sometimes it involves braun, sometimes I take people to my private range, and sometimes I zip around in the car of my choice.
I hope to have my own jet within the next 5 years so I don't have to fly commercial anymore.

I am not warren buffet, or DJT, but why retire when there is so much that needs to be done?  You can retire when you finally close your eyes for the last time.
Life is short, do what you want to do now!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We are 67/62 and retired MANY years ago. I quit "working" at 50 and finally sold out @ 55. BEST thing we ever did. Now we travel and shoot matches. Now we piddle at an outrageous rate. Now we laugh and play with the Boxerdog. Now we smell ALL the roses. Many people I knew in my business life literally died at their desks. Not us. Do I make the kind of money I did when I was working? No. Do I need that kind of money now? No. We were blessed with a conservative view with respect to our finances and it has paid off handsomely for us. Having zero debt when we retired was a key part of our plan. Wife just got a new ride. Paid cash. I can't imagine how people can even consider retiring with debt. So far for ME Medicare has been fine so far. I don't get a choice in the matter. Wife will get her SS beginning in May and she could care less about it. Just gas money for the motorhome I guess. We made enough on Shell in the last few months to live for a year. Didn't need the money but I've always been an active investor.
View Quote

Weird, why didn't you do these things before retirement?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m nearing 60 and in overall good health.
Hope to retire in 2 years. Wife is much younger RN and will continue working for a while. Part of the plan. As long as the Dems don’t crash the market
I may continue to work per diem, but would rather find a golf course job with perks.
We’re planning on getting a travel trailer and cruising the country, with occasional overseas excursions, Scotland, Ireland and other parts of Europe.
Wife 1/2 Philipino with Family there. Supposed to go last year, but China is asshole.
We’ve managed to save enough on our own, and our folks left us a nice inheritance, not rich, but pretty generous.
Also have a pending settlement from a injury auto accident that will help a little, too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m 62 and have been retired for 27 days.  The only way I know that is my iPad has the date at the top of the screen.  Otherwise I wouldn’t know what the date was, nor would I care.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would retire today if I could afford the health insurance.  How are you retired guys handling the costs of insurance?
View Quote

Negotiate someone else to pay for it.  If you're valuable enough, someone will gladly pay for your insurance in retirement :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m in no hurry to live on a fixed income. At 29 years in my field, I’m making more than I ever have.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#37]
L.

O.

L.

Everything makes sense now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
L.

O.

L.

Everything makes sense now.
View Quote

Penny for your thoughts dude
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I retired just a few months ago at 63. i am glad I did. We are okay, have plenty. I could of used a few more toys but I am content and have no intention of going back to work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I retired in May at 58 years young. after maximizing my pension. Now I am busier that I ever was on our farm, working and playing. But I work for me and the wife, and us only.  It's way better than it's cracked up to be!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Probably around 55-57 is my plan. I have my military retirement and VA compensation pension but I also work now as a federal civilian for the same military branch I retired from so I'll also have that pension kick in at 57 at the earliest. Not worried much about healthcare since I have TRICARE/VA options.

I guess I could retire now if I really wanted to but I still enjoy being around the military stuff and hanging out with all the younger enlisted technicians everyday, makes me feel younger. Normal daily discussions are usually about guns, trucks, motorcycles, politics, investing and women, so it's basically like going to work in a real life version of GD everyday.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Sold my business at the age of 67 because the stress of dealing with the public was getting to me. Now my biggest problem is what to do with my time. It's the best problem I can think of.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only people I know that have retired in thier 40s are the ones that are milking the shit out of the VA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Retired mid40s, stayed for $48.00 tricare health insurance.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Keep working only if you really need it or really love it.  Otherwise GTFO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I’m eligible to retire in 11 months when I turn 50 but my plan is to stay until I’m probably 53 so I can get my TSP over the million mark with a little extra padding so combine with our other investments and my pension if it all works out in 47 months I’m going to walk the fuck away and hopefully never work another day in my life.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The only people I know that have retired in thier 40s are the ones that are milking the shit out of the VA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of us are thinking it, you were brave enough to say it out loud.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
All well and good for my retirement accounts for sure, but those are still inaccessible until MRA, or I get dinged severely.

MRA pretty much dashes any hope for early retirement unless I'm missing something
View Quote

Keep in mind, you can withdraw the Roth CONTRIBUTIONS without penalty nor tax at any age (provided you've had the account for 5 years)
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Started to burn my sick leave at 54 1/2 for 3 surgeries.

7 months later I  retired 3 weeks after my 55th birthday.  I am glad.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Keep in mind, you can withdraw the Roth CONTRIBUTIONS without penalty nor tax at any age (provided you've had the account for 5 years)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All well and good for my retirement accounts for sure, but those are still inaccessible until MRA, or I get dinged severely.

Thanks for the reminder, I keep forgetting that.

Out of curiosity do you know if that also applies to a Roth 401k, or just a Roth IRA?  I utilize both fwiw
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top